Thread: He-Man/Conan the Barbarian, as he was meant to be

Heroic Warrior corytheguitarhero's Avatar

He-Man/Conan the Barbarian, as he was meant to be

He-Man, WonderBread He-Man, not wonderbread He-Man/Simple brown haired variant He-Man or Conan. The Tomarts guides prototype pic of a He-Man with a Conan like Helmet and so on and so on. Whatever you'd like to call him, history, fact and rumour tend to suggest that the brown haired He-Man was discontinued after only a short run to do copyright infringement on the Conan series.

Was He-Man really supposed to be Conan? I don't know. The 1st mini comic depicts He-Man as a "Barbarian" and not, "The Most Powerful man in the universe!"

I like them both, so I combined them here. He will come with a black powersword once the bubble is glued up and the card will still need to be laminated and cut, plus he will also have a mini comic or mini comic replica behind him.
    **Edit**
    Finished pic here! Scroll down for links to larger pics.

and a close up of the back detail
    Last edited by corytheguitarhero; May 11, 2007 at 08:57pm.

Very interesting. I have read that the original concept behind He-Man was that Mattel wanted to make a Conan line, but wanted the freedom to inject sci-fi ideas into it, as to compete with the unbelievable popularity of the Star Wars toys over at Kenner. But I've always liked the Preternia concepts better than the filmation cartoon stuff, anyway. With a barbarian He-Man, the Green Goddess style Sorceress, Goddess Teela, and Demon-King from Infinitias Skeletor, and castle Greyskull as a construct of unknown ancient aliens, it was a much more wild concept. Read it here, non-believers, He-Man was never intended to be royalty:
    The very first Mini-comic
    Last edited by BlueLobster1979; May 6, 2007 at 02:25pm.
    The former Glass Shrimp also known as See-Shell

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Shrimp View Post
    Very interesting. I have read that the original concept behind He-Man was that Mattel wanted to make a Conan line, but wanted the freedom to inject sci-fi ideas into it, as to compete with the unbelievable popularity of the Star Wars toys over at Kenner. But I've always liked the Preternia concepts better than the filmation cartoon stuff, anyway. With a barbarian He-Man, the Green Goddess style Sorceress, Goddess Teela, and Demon-King from Infinitias Skeletor, and castle Greyskull as a construct of unknown ancient aliens, it was a much more wild concept. Read it here, non-believers, He-Man was never intended to be royalty:
    The very first Mini-comic
    I read that Mattel was turned off by the blood and high octane sexuality of Conan, believing they couldn't market that to little kids in their toys. I do remember reading that the concept of He-Man being the alter ego of Adam was not in the original toyline/mini-comics though.

awesome idea, and this is my favorite version of he-man. Really the only reason I'm into he-man is the ties to barbarianism and the imagery that contains. Blackstar, He-man, Conan... same idea

Heroic Warrior Hordaks Henchman's Avatar
    you made that very cool. i made a custom based on that "helmet-conan-he-man". here he ist.

Base was 1 He-Man, 1 Sy-Klone fist, 1 He-Man axe and the helmet is from green stuff

The original MOTU idea is based more from the art of Frank Frazetta than Conan specifically.

These are both very interesting costumes though.

I love the helmeted He-man too but I'm glad they lost it as it was tooo close to Conan, machines or not!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Heroic Warrior corytheguitarhero's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hordaks Henchman View Post
    you made that very cool. i made a custom based on that "helmet-conan-he-man". here he ist.

Base was 1 He-Man, 1 Sy-Klone fist, 1 He-Man axe and the helmet is from green stuff

Wow, that version looks really cool. Here are the links to the larger finished pics!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ro/conan11.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...onanfront1.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../conanside.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../conanback.jpg

nice work cory--the gold belt is a good color choice. any pics of this guy out of the package?
    Visit my sketchblog at its new URL: JASONBOT.com!

Heroic Warrior
    These are off the hook. Gotta love those prototype He-mans. Great works fellows.