View Poll Results: How do you rate the vintage Faker toy? (with 10 being the best)

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 point

2 2.82%
  • 2 points

1 1.41%
  • 3 points

0 0%
  • 4 points

1 1.41%
  • 5 points

1 1.41%
  • 6 points

1 1.41%
  • 7 points

6 8.45%
  • 8 points

13 18.31%
  • 9 points

14 19.72%
  • 10 points

32 45.07%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Faker vintage figure review thread

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

Faker vintage figure review thread

So last week, it was Ram Man in the spotlight. This week it’s a big one, a fan favourite, and quite probably my all-time favourite MOTU figure, even before I realised how many other people thought he was cool. It's He-Man's evil robot impostor... It's FAKER!!

As mentioned in last week's thread, my first three figures were He-Man, Skeletor and Man-E-Faces. Then one Bank Holiday, I went to a local market with my Mum. We came across a seller who had a load of second wave figures that had barely appeared in the shops, and at a slightly cheaper price - and I was allowed to choose not one, but two! So I snapped up both Ram Man and Faker.

When I first saw him, I didn't quite appreciate the whole 'robot clone' back-story. I picked him out and my Mum was like "oh look, it's a blue He-Man" and that was enough for me.

As a side note, nearly throughout my collection as a kid, I was very conscious of keeping both Heroic and Evil sides even. I had got the main two figures, He-Man and Skeletor, then I chose Man-E-Faces as he could be used as both a heroic and evil character. So here I picked out Ram Man, who was a good guy, and baddie Faker. ...actually, it's got little to do with what we're talking about, I don't know why I mentioned it actually!

Faker is in concept a direct cross between He-Man and Skeletor, with He-Man's body, but Skeletor's body colour and armor.

Despite there being little coverage of Faker in any MOTU material, I always loved Faker. He was also one of the least commonly owned figures of the first couple of waves by friends who also collected MOTU, but that just made him all the more special to me. I've always loved 'evil twins' (K.A.R.R. and Garthe Knight in 'Knight Rider', Redwolf in 'Airwolf', mirror-universe 'Star Trek', etc.), but even before I was concious of this love, I was just so hooked on Faker.

Faker was never mentioned in any of the surrounding material. Packaged with him was the "He-Man Meets Ram Man!" mini-comic (meaning that I got the same mini-comic twice on the same day), and there was no real coverage of what he was all about. Despite that, I instantly loved him.

There was little coverage about Faker and his origin in any MOTU media, but those that did mention him generally indicated him to be a robot clone of He-Man created by Skeletor to try and fool the Heroic Warriors. However, the clone came out wrong (most sources said that it was Beast Man's fault!). Other than this, Faker was pretty much forgotten, which I always felt was a real shame, as he had so much potential for so many great stories.

The figure originally had the tagline "Evil robot of Skeletor" (although on back of boxes, he was more fittingly tagged as "Evil robot imposter). When fans debate the origins of Scare Glow, who had the debatable tagline of "Evil ghost of Skeletor", people often point to Faker's tag of "Evil robot of Skeletor" to indicate that 'of Skeletor' can simply mean in the services of old bone face.

There are several versions of Faker. There is a scarce early version, with chest sticker that did not fit as neatly under the armor and darker boots; the common version with slightly smaller chest sticker and mid-coloured boots (the version that I first had), and the late re-released hard head version.
    The hard-head release is very notable in that while many figures continued to be reproduced throughout the line's run, many even updated to hard head versions, Faker was unique in that the package openly promoted him as a re-release, with the tag "He's back!" (reflecting the fact that he had been absent from many previous waves re-releases) and used his image on many late box figure listings. He even featured in the late mini-comic "The Search for Keldor" (although he was used as a standard Evil Warrior, with no nods as to his origin).

Faker famously only appeared once in the Filmation cartoon series, in the early episode "The Shaping Staff". He was introduced almost as an afterthought in the mid-second act, where Skeletor conjured him up out of magic (with no hint as to his robotic construction), and where he was exactly like He-Man, except for glowing eyes and hollow voice.

For years I thought that I was the only one who really appreciated the greatness of Faker, so when I got onto the internet in the mid-late 1990s, I was pleased to see that I was not alone and the robotic imposter has a legion of fans, being one of the most discussed and customised figures.

There was a ToyFare limited edition 200x version of Faker, which I happily forked out for on e-bay, and was very good, if somehow lacking the coolness of the original.
    It is persistently rumoured that if the Mike Young Productions cartoon had continued for a third season, that Faker would have featured prominently. As it was, the nearest there was to him was a brief mis-colouring of the robot He-Man in "The Courage of Adam" as an in-joke to vintage fans.

All-in-all... the vintage Faker is made up completely of existing parts (He-Man's entire body mold and sword, Skeletor's armor), with the basic twist-waist feature... but I just love him. Trap Jaw and Tri-Klops generally tie as my second all-time favourite figure, but Faker is my favourite.

I'm maybe a little over-critical on some vintage figure reviews, but I cannot give vintage Faker any less than a perfect 10.

So there are my recollections of Faker.
    I'd love to hear your own thoughts, comments, criticisms, memories, and anything else Faker-related. And whether you post or not, don't forget to rate the vintage figure in the poll!
    Last edited by Spacedust; June 4, 2007 at 09:13am. Reason: link error
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Faker is indeed cool. I like his character a lot.

I still want to get a Toyfare Faker from 200X, but I still haven't due to the price.

I do wish that the cartoon had continued in some fashion (200X that is) so that we could have seen him in that incarnation.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

I gave him a low low low low score, 2.

Just because I hated him so much when I was a kid. Even as a four year old, I thought he was a cheap idea!

As an adult collector now, I could theoretically give him a higher score, just for appreciating him out of ridiculousness. But my four year old inner voice prevents me from doing so.

Gave him an 8. I always liked Faker, even as a kid. I remember thinking-it's He-man, but he's blue and orange!?! Cheap concept? Sure, but still cool in my book. I never got to into the actual back stories as a kid, I just loved having huge gladiator style duels with them. Faker was one of the elite champions. Two figures enter, one figure leaves! Ah, a much more simple time indeed.

I liked Faker but I didn't like this figure. I wish it woud have been looking a little different than he-man.
    Auto-reply: out of the office until further notice, please shoot me an e-mail below or wait for a long time to hear back... happy MOTUCing

E-mail me:
    boggs32@marshall.edu

Thanks Guys! (my Positives in TR):
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...threadid=62577

Quote Originally Posted by boggs32 View Post
    I liked Faker but I didn't like this figure. I wish it woud have been looking a little different than he-man.
    But surely the point is that he looks exactly like He-Man? I get what you mean about recycled parts, but in this particular case, I personally think it was kind of the point.

Anyway, I forgot to mention the figure colours as opposed to the box art colours. The figure had bright blue armor and sword and red hair, whereas the box illustration had flame red hair and deep violet armor and sword. I like both schemes, though maybe the box illustations deep colours do add a little extra, with it being a 'negative copy'.
    As rare as the 200x ToyFair exclusive is, I would have liked to have seen a variant with the vintage box illustration's colours.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

KNOCK-OFF MESSIAH galaxy warrior's Avatar
    its gets a 10 for the sole fact of being simple. the colors and the idea. its just perfect. he was an instant hit with me as a kid and still stands as one of my favorite pieces if not my fave all together. i always wanted him to be in the cartoon and loved the 1 ep he was in. it was rerunned often in bklyn so it was always a great morning in the making ihe was my favorite pages to color and would always make copies of the faker pages so i could color them 100's of times. my first faker was carried around till he died. i dont recall the exact moment of loss but i know i was devastated and wanted him so bad for so long but never got another. i had lost touch with motu when faker 2 came out. now i have an ever growing army of fakers at my disposal

THE CONTINUING WORLD OF MOTU

http://cotuworld.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by galaxy warrior View Post
    now i have an ever growing army of fakers at my disposal
    I have quite a few as well - can never have too many Fakers! (Although I have scaled down in the last year or so).

Currently I have:
    my original Faker,
    loose original-style Faker x 2
    French version Faker (vinyl sticker)
    Hard head Faker (aka Faker II)

I also had a well played-with original style Faker, with no sticker, no sword, busted spring-waist and dodgy legs (year, he was pretty worn). I threw him in with my third set of figures that I donated to a neighbour's boy last Summer.
    ~jay firestorm~

Love Faker - I gave him 10points!
    The sticker on the chest was awesome.

I actuley have a very interesting story about old Faker. the first time I seen a Faker, was just after my farther talked me into selling them all. at a yard sale, and began buying them for my brother. my brother came up the stairs and rubbed it right in my face. look its Faker, He mans evil twin brother. and I was like what. He mans evil twin brother and mom went along with him so I belived that for the longest time. before got my hands on more figures and mini comics. but I allways liked Faker because you could try to fake out the Good guys. suposebly when no one new of Faker yet. he was a real danger to the good guys. he could fake em out so to speak, but you can only bring it back to the past so many times. before your brother says yea I know thats you Faker. that you then make Faker just another mega powerfull, henchmen of Skelertor. or one of those master of his own destiny lone wolf types. trying to concur Grayskull as well, I played like this often. Faker was one, who often went on his own and even pushed around Skelertor. and his crownies I allways inmagined him as being maybe a little stronger then He man, because he was machine. or half cyborg android or something. but He man could allways win because he had the power of Grayskull to back him up.so I definetly give Faker a big 10!!
    Last edited by braxsis364; May 22, 2007 at 08:19pm. Reason: misspelled

Heroic Warrior
    I like him. I gave him 6/10. It is a good concept.
    In my opinion they should have not the figure with light blue skin or in the cartoon he should have had light blue skin, in that way they would be the same.
    Talking about the figure itself the colours are very nice, but he could be improved if the armour and sword were purple as Skeletor´s.

He earns a 10 for being the single most defining character in the toyline. The concept for the toy was simple and so brilliant it neared insanity. Many other toylines reused molds, but most tried to hide this fact, whereas FAKER celebrated it. I also think he seems an even more brilliant concept for the sheer fact that there was so little coverage of him in the other mediums. The figure had such a striking appearance and we knew so little about him that he was essentially whoever you wanted him to be.
    "I damned the world to save my daughter once... and I will do it for her again."
    I do custom action figures, commissioned art, and I will make any Masters of the Universe costume, tailored to you!
    View my website! http://www.havocstaff.50megs.com

NA mini-sub Supporter ! Arkangel's Avatar

sticker

not to mention that robot sticker, it's so cheesy that it becomes awsome and a very cool mark from the cheesy 80's

Quote Originally Posted by Vahn View Post

He earns a 10 for being the single most defining character in the toyline. The concept for the toy was simple and so brilliant it neared insanity. Many other toylines reused molds, but most tried to hide this fact, whereas FAKER celebrated it. I also think he seems an even more brilliant concept for the sheer fact that there was so little coverage of him in the other mediums. The figure had such a striking appearance and we knew so little about him that he was essentially whoever you wanted him to be.
    WELL PUT. he really could be who ever you wanted. and that is always a fantasic appeal. it actually shocks me to find those who dont like faker.he's like pizza just perfect in its simplicity. but theres always that odd ball who doesnt like pizza :/

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    I always liked Faker when I was a kid. I liked the notion of a "Bizarro" He-Man. I saw him as He-Man's equal in power, but with Skeletor's malice and an absolute loyalty to the Lord of Destruction built in.

Funny that people blame Beast Man as the reason Faker turned out as kind of a Bizzaro. I always thought Beast Man would be jealous of Faker because he had "stolen" Skeletor's favor from him - Faker was the perfect henchman that Beast Man wanted Skeletor to think he was. Indeed, Beast Man might have ruined the clone's production on purpose in a fit of pique because Skeletor thought he could make a better henchman than Beast Man himself.

Even when the other Evil Warriors might have turned against Skeletor, Faker never would. He couldn't. To all the other evil warriors, however, Faker was as mean and nasty as he could be, and among the Heroic Warriors he was even more feared than Skeletor himself because he had all of He-Man's powers and none of his compunctions.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Don't let worry kill you, let the Church help"

Grrrr, the thread I was most looking forward to, and I've been away for most of its duration. Nice to see it got some good posts though.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    not to mention that robot sticker, it's so cheesy that it becomes awsome and a very cool mark from the cheesy 80's
    Yeah, the sticker was a little corny But I could live with it, I could easily live with it. Partly because when you're a kid, it's all about imagination.
    In a perfect world, Faker would be his vintage style, but you'd remove a little panel from his chest to expose his inner workings (200x Roboto-style). But I still love the figure regardless.

I've got a 200x ToyFare Faker, but it's mint in box, so I haven't seen the new version sticker other than in photos on-line.

Anyway, I agree with that with Faker, it was cool how he could pretty much be what you wanted him to be. In my dream live-action, 'Hercules: The Legendary Journeys' type MOTU series that I've had rolling around in my head for many years, I've always longed for a spanning story arc. In one of the early episodes, Skeletor would construct Faker to impersonate He-Man but (obviously) would be foiled. As time progressed, Skeletor comes to consider Faker to be his son. At the same time, He-Man comes to consider Faker as the brother he never had. In the explosive Faker finale near the end of the series, Faker is badly injured, with his programming going haywire and wrong (a little like Lal, Data's 'daughter' in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation's "The Offspring"). He-Man begs Man-At-Arms to try and repair his cloned twin, but even Duncan's expertise are not enough to save Faker. He-Man insists upon a decent, honorable burial for the robotic clone, as Skeletor watches from a nearby mountain peak.
    ...If only I had the patience to sit and write fan-fic!!
    ~jay firestorm~

Skeletor arms?

Apologies for bumping this thread, but I remembered something earlier today - on an old action figure collectors forum that I was on some 8 or so years ago now, someone mentioned that some Fakers came with Skeletor arms.

In all of my years collecting, I have never encounted this. The only thing I can deduct is that someone saw one on the second hand market, and the arms had got swapped around, as is quite common with old second hand figures as novices and non-collectors add and swap bits to make them 'complete' to sell (i.e. the Faker may originally have had arm(s) missing).

Has anyone ever encounted a Skeletor-arms Faker?
    ~jay firestorm~

ive encountered a few fakers with evil arms. all loose. so it creates doubt. but there is the "carded one" greyskull museum but thats doesnt make it fact either.

Heroic Warrior
    how could a figure that seems so ridiculous be so absolutely cool.....

Quote Originally Posted by stuecketor View Post
    how could a figure that seems so ridiculous be so absolutely cool.....
    I know, it's like Mattel's most unimaginitave, cheap-produced figure ever, ...but it's somehow one of the very best!
    ~jay firestorm~

cyber-assassin
    Faker and Teela were my first two figures. I got faker for three reasons.
    1. I've always liked robots
    2. he was he-man
    3. he was BLUE (my favorite color back in the day)
    Anyhow Faker was always refered to as King Faker. I made a crown out of Skeletors belt, but upside-down and to further show his "robot-ness" he alwas wore man-at-arms chest armor. Now for a story of sorts. I was diehard into he-man until one day in the second grade, faker and ram man got stolen at school. I put Castle Greyskull and my he-man figures away, and didn't pick them up for a good year and a half. I actually cried over losing Faker. You'd have thought somebody had just run over my puppy. Fortunately towards the end of third grade a girl, YES A GIRL, named Sheila had a faker and wanted Orko, who I had just gotten for christmas a few months earlier. That was a no brainer. I really really enjoyed breaking the he-man figures back out. Although it strikes me as odd that my whole love for the line hinges on that one figure. Same for the new line. I wasn't interested until faker came out. Now, I have a 200x faker, a vintage faker and both my sons have a vintage faker.
    Those whom god wishes to destroy,
    He first makes mad. - Reinfield.

I give Faker a 10. I remember this being the hardest figure for me to get. I didn't get him unitl the re-release in 87. I can still remember seeing him hanging there and running into the KayBee to get him. I finally had my "holy grail".
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Badass with a bottle Drunken Fist's Avatar
    For whatever reason, Faker was damn near impossible to find back in the day, and I was with MOTU from the very beginning. Whenever my mom would take me to a store, I would immediately run back to the action figure aisle to look at MOTU figures. Faker was always one I was looking for, and I never could find him. Finally, I lucked out and found one at a garage sale. I never did see one in a store.

Regarding the skeletor arms, I've only seen some loose examples of this. I think it's just a result of peoiple swapping them, nothing more. I did the same thing with my Faker. I thought the Skeletor arms suited him better, and he still has them to this day.

10/10

Just to clarify, Faker version 1 and 2 both had the same arms as He Man, so anyone getting a Faker with Evil Arms the arms have been switched with Skeletor. The only difference that I know of between 1 and 2 is the original had a soft head and version 2 has a hard head. It`s possible that the Tops Toys version had it, but I`m sceptical

10!

IMO better than He-man and Skeletor put together... Wait a minute!

I always loved him but never saw him in the flesh till I started collecting MOTU about 4 yrs ago after watching the MYP series.

Very much the holygrail of the figures.
    Oh yeah Faker1 is much better than Faker2. I'm not big on the hard heads. They seem a little deformed to me.