View Poll Results: Do you want a commemorative set?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes please I need one

45 81.82%
  • No thanks

10 18.18%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Commemorative vintage Star Sisters possible release?

Commemorative vintage Star Sisters possible release?

Hi, as you know vintage Star Sisters prototypes were found recently in the Mattel's archives. (including Packaging proof sheets)
    Working at Mattel, Garret and Darren brothers are true POP fans and they mentioned during the Mattel's panel at Power Con that they would love to see the Star Sisters prototypes released as a commemorative set.

So, they have the keys in hands to convince the Mattel's bosses to realize a project like that but it will be easier for them if we can show our enthusiasm to Mattel starting now.

I am opening this thread to support the idea.

Power Con Mattel's Panel:
    Last edited by TOKYONEVER; June 5, 2016 at 10:33am.

I would love to see these three released as a commemorative set! I'd absolutely buy it and display them alongside my vintage POP collection.

Midwestern She-Raver Salamandra's Avatar
    I would definitely need multiples for my MOC collection and to open. Hurry up and take my money, Mattel!

I would definitely buy multiples, too.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

These look so cool. I think Mattel would get a LOT of good buzz going back to an old concept and resurrecting it like this. Can't think of another brand that got that kind of support 30 years later...would definitely make some waves.

Heroic Warrior
    Yes, yes and YES!!!

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I don't want one for myself but I voted yes for those who do want them.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    I don't want one for myself but I voted yes for those who do want them.
    Same here. I think they should also make commemorative versions of Eldor, He-Ro, the laser light figures, early 1981 prototypes, etc.

Heroic Warrior
    This is a great idea! Star Sisters are an easy yes since the packaging is already done, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    Same here. I think they should also make commemorative versions of Eldor, He-Ro, the laser light figures, early 1981 prototypes, etc.

I think it would be great for fans. How much would people be willing to pay for these? I could see them going for the $20-30 range with all that rooted hair and soft goods and fancy plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post

Yes, the Star Sisters can be the beginning of something great concerning the vintage figures never released, Sanders brothers also mentionned Eldor, He-Ro etc

Nature's Greatest Wonder Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I wouldn't actually want them, myself, but I voted yes in that I do think Mattel could and should at least take a shot at these by way of a preorder similar to the MOTUC Castle Grayskull, The BTTF Hoverboard, and the (ill fated) Ecto-1 for the Ghostbusters figures.

They HAVE the prototypes. So, it's not like they will have to spend any money in terms of designing the figures and creating prototypes that would be "wasted" if they don't get enough orders to move forward.

And while I have often questioned the overall popularity of the Star Sisters, I think this would have better sales potential than simply re-releasing the existing MOTUC figures in their vintage prototype paint schemes.

These would be very unique in that they would effectively be newly released items in another otherwise vintage line. While we've seen MOTU and TMNT do commutative re-releases of old figures... and we've had concept and prototype figures released in MOTUC... to the best of my knowledge, I don't think I've ever seen a case in which new additional and previously unreleased figures/items are released decades later for an old toy line, as if to pick up and treat it like it never ended, it just had a REALLY long "break."

This would be, in essence, an "itch" that has never been "scratched" in any major form. So even with relatively obscure characters like the Star Sisters, the fact that these are NEW figures for the original POP line coming out now could give them a unique level of interest.

And like I said, if Mattel does the preorder thing with them, there's no significant risk on their end. There's no real prep work to do from a design and prototype standpoint. If enough people order, then the fans that want them will get them. If they don't get enough preorders, then the figures don't go into production, and at least they tried and we'll know, rather than asking "what if."

That said, with all of the questions surrounding MOTUC and by extension T-Cats and MattyCollector in general right now, I don't know if this is something Mattel would want to dive into. But assuming all of the "doom and gloom" is premature and everything will be trucking along as normal, they should definitely give this a try.
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; June 6, 2016 at 03:32pm.

In the name of the Lloyd!

Quote Originally Posted by TOKYONEVER View Post
    Yes, the Star Sisters can be the beginning of something great concerning the vintage figures never released, Sanders brothers also mentionned Eldor, He-Ro etc
    That would be so much more interesting to me than Classics.

Imagine a line of figures that looked like this:

If they were spot on to the prototypes then I'd have a set of these and I'm by no means a pop fan.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Yes. Definitely. I would buy multiples of these. I have wanted these for years!
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

I'd definitely pick up a few sets!!
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

I'm totally down for a POP re-release like they did for MOTU back in 2001/2002. Would be awesome to get the Star Sisters, as well as Spinnerella!

It is interesting that they found a copy of the multi-lingual version of the cardback and not the US English only ones too.
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella

Hell yes! Dam even put in the 4th Star Sister, the Wizardess, Josh, Joya & Hera!

I would love to see a 15 pack like they did for classic MOTU back in the day. Give us the three Star Sisters, Shadow Weaver, Scorpia, Adora, Razz & Broom, Sea Hawk, Light Hope, the Twiggets. Huntara, Melog, Hunga, Granita, King Agho.

Then maybe a 5 pack of rare characters like Bubble Power She-Ra, Shower Power Catra, Netossa, Spinerella, & Loo-Kie. Imagine a 5 pack of Eternian females like Teela, Evil-Lyn, The Sorceress, Green Goddess, Queen Marlana.

Some multipacks such as Filmation She-Ra & Swiftwind, Filmation Catra & her Panther Form, Filmation Hordak with imp and some attachments to make a few of his other forms. Filmation Bow & Arrow with Filmation Kowl included.
    Last edited by Angel-T; June 7, 2016 at 06:21am.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

100% supporting this! Yes!

I'd like to make one request to any Mattel employees that are potentially reading this thread.

In the off-chance that Mattel approves a commemorative Star Sisters set, can the Mattel team please make Tallstar with sparkling, deep raspberry-red hair as featured in this picture taken by forum member Busta Toons? Or just a color somewhere in the light to mid-range red?

The Star Sisters prototypes are gorgeous, but the reason I bring this up is because Tallstar's hair appears to be dark pink, similar to the pink half of vintage toy Entrapta's hair, in a few of the flash photography (or just high lighting) shots vs the extremely beautiful deep raspberry-red in the majority of the images.

I'm not sure if this is a result of fading to her hair (someone posted some extreme close-ups on Facebook of Tallstar using flash, and she appeared to be the prototype with the most deterioration: noticeable paint chiping and fading to her painted areas), or if it's just a case of someone back in the day deciding to use magenta-pink to be representative of the raspberry-red hair color depicted in the Filmation cartoon. (You know, because of the "young girls always like pink" mentality) Her hair also appears to be dark red on the cardback art.

These sparkling light-red and mid-range raspberry-red shades of color are so gorgeous, but sorely underused in the toy industry as a whole on young girls toys for some reason. It seems Barbie pink and magenta-pink are the go-to colors for hair in these instances. Then there's the opposite extreme on many of the collectibles made for adults: Extremely dark ruby-reds, red-oranges and firey-orange.

Anyhow, at one time I owned a rare figure from Kenner's Shimmers line of toys that had the most beautiful shade of sparkling light-red hair. It wasn't a solid color, but looking up close I realized this amazing color was achieved by blending different colors together, including hair fibers that appeared clear-white for that vibrancy effect. I'm not sure if there's a special name for that technique. Possibly something else to consider on Tallstar. (and it would differentiate the hair color from Entrapta's)

"My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Oh. So the dolls are the first model of 80 year? They seems so in good condition. Always very beautiful after 30 years. My favorite is Starla, but i prefer the mantisaur custom of her, because the eye of the official mattel dolls, are too dark, almost deep black

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I agree with Tallstar about the darker hair colour. The darker colours really stand out and look striking. Entrapta's pink has been used on Spinnerella for highlights, too. It would help differentiate the characters a bit more. I love all the figures' colours in James Eatock's picture. I hope they look like that if they get produced.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Midwestern She-Raver Salamandra's Avatar
    In my perfect dream world, they'd reissue the Star Sisters...then reissue all the rest of the POP gals from the 80s. I could die a happy fan, then. :-) I have most of them MOC, but the cards are just not in great shape. The art from the original POP line was just amazing.

This would be amazing if they could create a commemorative set. That card is everything! I would hope they would use the crystal design from the protype card.
    :.Christie

I'm in for every new commemorative release for MotU or even PoP! I bought all of the commemorative MotUs back in 2001/2002 and i still love them! They are still awesome. It's really cool that Mattel found the old prototypes and packaging proofs of the Star Sisters in their archives. So bring them on and take my money