View Poll Results: Was keeping Adam, as He-Man's secret identity, a good idea?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it added depth to the show.

13 37.14%
  • No, it was an unnecessary inclusion.

19 54.29%
  • Other... (explain)

3 8.57%

Thread: Was keeping Adam, as He-Man's secret identity, a good idea?

Was keeping Adam, as He-Man's secret identity, a good idea?

There are many differences between the comic and cartoon versions of New Adventures, the least of which was the cartoon keeping Adam as He-Man's secret identity.

Many will argue that it was the Prince Adam character that ruined the Filmation version of MOTU because it deviated so much from the original concept that was introduced in the Mini-Comics. I, for one, openly admit that I love the Prince Adam aspect of the Filmation show, both as a great plot device and as a more relatable character to the target audience at the time.

When New Adventures debuted on television, I was certain that the Adam character would be written out of the show after the first episode. My reasoning was that if both Skeletor and He-Man travel to the Tri-Solar System together and then, out of the blue, Adam shows up too - well, even Skeletor could figure this one out, right?? Wrong. To my (pleasant) surprise, Adam became a regular character on the show and kept his true identity a secret from everyone but Master Sebrian.

So, was keeping Adam, as He-Man's secret identity, a good idea for the New Adventures cartoon?

Discuss your answers below!
    Where are the rest of my New Adventures Classics figures?!?!?

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST complete the New Adventures Faction!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Yes, I think it was a good idea. I love the show, it's the He-Man I grew up with, but it strayed so far from the Filmation cartoon, it almost didnt need He-Man. Without BattleCat, Man-At-Arms etc. etc. The New Adventures of He-Man really needed all the winks,nods and links to the original Adventures it could keep; stuff like Starship Eternia, By the Power of Eternia, Teela's cameo, the Sorceress and they even named him Adam of Grayskull. Without Adam the show would be even less He-Man-ie.
    Last edited by ThunDerian; April 6, 2015 at 08:54am.
    Justice, Truth, Honor and Loyalty!

Visit my website for handmade Scenery, Statues & More! CUSTOMSCENERY.NL

Yes! We need Adam!

The transformation from Adam to He-Man is important for a couple of reasons. From a production point of view it is a symbol of growing up, of empowerment for all the little boys who watch the cartoon and feel like they are too little to do stuff. This was an important and often overlooked aspect of the cartoon. The transformation means that you don't need a hero to save the world, you can become a hero regardless of how weak you think you are.

From an in-universe point of view, transformation is important because it keeps He-Man grounded. He-Man still lives most of his life as Prince Adam. On Eternia he was training to be a king, on Primus he lives as an apprentice. These experiences help him avoid the pitfalls and corruption of the immense power he would have if he turned He-Man full time.

Heroic Warrior
    Part of the Adam/HeMan fun was the impressive mind blowing transformation sequence that just about every kiddie waited with glee when they watched the vintage show .

Not surprisingly there was nothing of that sort in New Adventures . They may as well have kept blue jeans HeMan as a constant . Yes Adam kept him grounded and he only became HeMan when he needed to fight or rescue someone . The story arcs they could have done from HeMan exploring himself in non combat situations would have made great entertainment . He would have to learn even more self control then ever .

It could have explained his change of clothing and ponytail and different sword . Master Sebrian could have given him that new funny sword which might be powerful but could not be used to revert to Adam .

I remember one vintage MOTU episode where HeMan thought he lost his sword to a bottomless chasm and a gloomy crestfallen Heroic warrior , contemplates life without Adam . He did not like this idea . NA could have been an opportunity for He Man to live his nightmare .

Master of New Adventures!
    I believe it was a major mistake to keep Adam in NA. Once Skeletor saw him he should have easily put it together that Adam and He-man were one and the same. Skeletor is evil; not stupid. Even if it didn't matter of Primus, it could have far reaching effects and ramifications if and when they both returned to Eternia.

Honestly, I didn't think it made much sense for that show. SOOO much was different that there wasn't any point in keeping a secret identity. They could have explored his life as He-Man, giving a different perspective than the last show.

I'm not a fan of the Prince Adam thing, but it was cool to see the random episodes where he had to deal with being the ideal hero while keeping up this bumbling fašade. That was the Filmation cartoon, though. For NA, he's this great hero they brought from the past, and (at least, in the minicomics) he undergoes a transformation in the process. Before, it was living a double life, in NA, it should have been living UP to his second life now being his only life. He can't just put it away anymore.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Well as I said, my concern with the Adam issue is what would happen when he and Skeletor returned to Eternia which, as those who have heard the Masterscast interview with me know, was my plan had there been a Season 2 of NA. In retrospect what I think I should have done was either eliminate Adam altogether or, if we wanted to keep the transformation and have him maintain a secret identity, alter Adam's look so he was not recognizable as being Adam. Hindsight is, of course, usually 20/20, but this certainly was an oversight on my part.

But the
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    Honestly, I didn't think it made much sense for that show. SOOO much was different that there wasn't any point in keeping a secret identity. They could have explored his life as He-Man, giving a different perspective than the last show.

I'm not a fan of the Prince Adam thing, but it was cool to see the random episodes where he had to deal with being the ideal hero while keeping up this bumbling fašade. That was the Filmation cartoon, though. For NA, he's this great hero they brought from the past, and (at least, in the minicomics) he undergoes a transformation in the process. Before, it was living a double life, in NA, it should have been living UP to his second life now being his only life. He can't just put it away anymore.

I think changing Adam's look would have been nice to have been done at the beginning, maybe gone for red hair, green eyes and definitely 'no' to the two pig-tails on the side of his bonce!

I'm a big fan of the show and the U.K. Comics - They both have their benefits and they're both incredible in their own way.

With that said, I voted "other" because I really can't see Adam disappearing forever. However, I would have liked He-Man's alter-ego to have limited use throughout the New Adventures run. That is, I would like the Adam identity to be used for certain episodes where He-Man couldn't, such as walking/blending in on the mean streets of Denebria, running a covert errand to Leviton, or spying/gathering information on the mutants, etc.

I will always be a big fan of Adam, and I was surprised and happy to see him return for NA - especially after reading the NA mini-comics where Adam exposes himself as He-Man right in front of Skeletor!

I enjoyed it. Probably not necessary but "Jesus" Adam is one of my favorite variants!
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN ů INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2016!!!

OTHER PRIORITIES: Inspector Darkney Master Sebrian & Gleep Spyster Admiral Scurvey & Squall Starburst She-Ra Scratchin' Sound Catra Grot Caz & Drissi Crystal Moonbeam Crystal Sun Dancer Meliac NA Prince Adam Chef Allen Songster Scrollos Karg Kowla Red Eye

Close, but actually I intended him to be symbolic of Archangel Michael doing battle with the fallen angel -- Skelly -- in Revelations, as discussed in my Primus Revealed thread.

http://www.catholictradition.org/Cla...lamities-2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
    I enjoyed it. Probably not necessary but "Jesus" Adam is one of my favorite variants!
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; May 25, 2015 at 03:40pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Close, but actually I intended him to be symbolic of Archangel Michael doing battle with the fallen angel -- Skelly -- in Revelations, as discussed in my Primus Revealed thread.

http://www.catholictradition.org/Cla...lamities-2.jpg
    That is really cool!

Heroic Warrior
    I disliked Adam in Filmation, so this one's a no-brainer. Also, it directly contradicted the mini-comic's version of how He-Man gets to the future in the first place- and although I am a huge NA fan, I was not always so- the mini-comic, with its great art, cool re-imagining of the Sorceress, and near-fatal accident for Skeletor, was precisely what got my attention (obviously, the amazing Classics figures were the other piece).
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

Totally Dyslexic
    I voted NO as well.

Yes the transformation is iconic but he could have used it to armor up.

Standard (half naked) He-man held up his sword and the powers of Eternia gave him more power in form of a full body armor and helmet for example
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Hawke *Pebb-Liss(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

A fan, not a nostalgic
    It was unnecessary, and one of the things that made the TV series inferior to the comics, together with the Christian symbolism that Jack Olesker shoehorned into the cartoon (why? Was he that desperate to disprove the accusations of MOTU being satanic?), the stupid moments with the scientists, Skeletor, Brakk/Flogg and their henchmen, and a complete lack of explanation as to why He-Man and Skeletor already look different before reaching the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    Exactly. And I'll go further by stating that a secret identity was unnecessary for Adam in general.
    According to canon, the Sorceress told Adam to keep it a secret that he and He-Man are the same person so that the bad guys won't indirectly hurt him by hurting his loved ones. But this makes no sense, because everyone knows that Adam is the son of the king! That would be enough of an excuse for bad guys to hurt him by hurting his loved ones! Knowing that he and He-Man are one and the same would cause good guys to love him more for what he does, and bad guys to fear him more because they know that if they screw with the royal family, Adam will get them as He-Man!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    The transformation from Adam to He-Man is important for a couple of reasons. From a production point of view it is a symbol of growing up, of empowerment for all the little boys who watch the cartoon and feel like they are too little to do stuff. This was an important and often overlooked aspect of the cartoon. The transformation means that you don't need a hero to save the world, you can become a hero regardless of how weak you think you are.
    Are you sure? It could also mean that you cannot do important stuff unless you receive a supernatural aid, and even then, only if nobody knows that it's you doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    From an in-universe point of view, transformation is important because it keeps He-Man grounded. He-Man still lives most of his life as Prince Adam. On Eternia he was training to be a king, on Primus he lives as an apprentice. These experiences help him avoid the pitfalls and corruption of the immense power he would have if he turned He-Man full time.
    So it was a convenient method of keeping the status quo, instead of giving new and deeper challenges to He-Man.
    Last edited by Devil Master; June 6, 2015 at 09:53pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Master View Post
    It was unnecessary, and one of the things that made the TV series inferior to the comics, together with the Christian symbolism that Jack Olesker shoehorned into the cartoon (why? Was he that desperate to disprove the accusations of MOTU being satanic?), the stupid moments with the scientists, Skeletor, Brakk/Flogg and their henchmen, and a complete lack of explanation as to why He-Man and Skeletor already look different before reaching the future.

Exactly. And I'll go further by stating that a secret identity was unnecessary for Adam in general.
    According to canon, the Sorceress told Adam to keep it a secret that he and He-Man are the same person so that the bad guys won't indirectly hurt him by hurting his loved ones. But this makes no sense, because everyone knows that Adam is the son of the king! That would be enough of an excuse for bad guys to hurt him by hurting his loved ones! Knowing that he and He-Man are one and the same would cause good guys to love him more for what he does, and bad guys to fear him more because they know that if they screw with the royal family, Adam will get them as He-Man!

Are you sure? It could also mean that you cannot do important stuff unless you receive a supernatural aid, and even then, only if nobody knows that it's you doing it.

So it was a convenient method of keeping the status quo, instead of giving new and deeper challenges to He-Man.
    Of course MOTU wasn't satanic. Any child knows that. And making a nod to Revelations in NA doesn't mean I was desperate to prove NA is satanic any more than someone having named Devil Master being on this board is a separate attempt to prove MOTU is satanic. No doubt you've got benign reasons of your own for calling yourself Devil Master and I had equally benign reasons for what I did. In my case I simply chose to have a bit of roman a clef fun by patterning NA, tongue-in-cheek, after an interesting bible story and I think -- believer or non-believer -- we can probably agree that the bible contains some fairly interesting stories. As for the scientists, do me a favor and don't get me started. I'd give anything to find a way to rewind and delete. But then everyone makes mistakes. Look how big Mother Nature made avocado seeds.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; June 6, 2015 at 11:19pm.

They were just way too slapstick, at least I can fast forward the DVD when they're on-screen, though if they had been kept 'seen but not heard' in the series, that would have been nice!

Though if there is ever a UK DVD release of the series (I doubt it, no awesome animated series from the 80s or 90s ever do ), they could be edited out

Quote Originally Posted by Zentron View Post
    They were just way too slapstick, at least I can fast forward the DVD when they're on-screen, though if they had been kept 'seen but not heard' in the series, that would have been nice!

Though if there is ever a UK DVD release of the series (I doubt it, no awesome animated series from the 80s or 90s ever do ), they could be edited out
    Well I'm happy for you that you can fast forward past scenes with the scientists in them. Unfortunately, having created them, I don't have that luxury. As one of the greatest mistakes in my career, they continue to haunt me to this day. Can you imagine the sheer horror of waking up in the middle of the night after an evening of partying only to see that screeching quartet dervishly dancing around at the foot of your bed? True story. YIIIIIIIIIII!!!

Oh dear, not a sight anyone would want to see! Just put some Gepple's Goo at the outside your door to stop them from entering!

Quote Originally Posted by Zentron View Post
    Oh dear, not a sight anyone would want to see! Just put some Gepple's Goo at the outside your door to stop them from entering!
    Was worried it would stop me from getting out. And I can tell the Olympic 40-yard dash record was shattered on that night!
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; June 13, 2015 at 06:19pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Master View Post
    It was unnecessary, and one of the things that made the TV series inferior to the comics,
    I love the comics and the show equally and for different reasons.

Looking at New Adventures from a very broad, general, and macroscopic angle, I feel that Adam's transformation was a necessary element in that it tied NA closer to Filmation... it made it a bit more recognizable to both casual and devoted fans of MOTU.

Well I'm happy for you that you can fast forward past scenes with the scientists in them. Unfortunately, having created them, I don't have that luxury. As one of the greatest mistakes in my career, they continue to haunt me to this day. Can you imagine the sheer horror of waking up in the middle of the night after an evening of partying only to see that screeching quartet dervishly dancing around at the foot of your bed? True story. YIIIIIIIIIII!!!
    Oh come on, Jack! They weren't THAT bad!

In fact, there are a couple of episodes in which I feel they flourished in the series. "Planet of Junk," "No Easy Way," and "Cold Freeze" just to name a few. Plus, they designed the machine that took Hydron and Flipshot through the portal to Eternia's past... there's something to be said for that at least.

But then everyone makes mistakes. Look how big Mother Nature made avocado seeds.
    Ha! This made my day!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Looking at New Adventures from a very broad, general, and macroscopic angle, I feel that Adam's transformation was a necessary element in that it tied NA closer to Filmation... it made it a bit more recognizable to both casual and devoted fans of MOTU.

Agreed.

I'll be honest, I never cared for the NA concept or realization as a kid. The cartoon had nothing to do with it, I never even knew they had one as a kid. As an adult I tracked some down but I still don't like the execution very much. What I will say is that Adam's transformation wasn't the problem. If anything I believe the franchise needed MORE nods to his roots, not LESS.

NA fought an uphill battle anyway when they changed cast and setting from what the fans were familiar with. Cutting that last thread would have made it even worse.