Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Castle Grayskull Variants

Really is Skeletor

Castle Grayskull Variants

Hello everyone,
    I was wondering if anyone knew about the differences between the two Castle Grayskulls that were released. So far, I've found that the platform for the laser gun - one has clips for the laser, one is flat - and the elevator/computer room floor - one is a bit smoother around the edges with more clipped gaps to fit the wall.

Anyone know anymore about this? I can post pics if need be.
    Tyler J Maciolek

Delgian
    I was wondering about the laser gun base cause i have two versions. One just drops in while the other pops in. Would like more information on this also.
    on the instructions for my grayskull it shows the base that you just drop the gun into.
    Delgian

Really is Skeletor
    Here are the two different laser platforms. It looks like they actually have different part numbers, the one with the clips ending in F and the flat one ending in B.

Working on floor pictures, but my digital camera seems to be dying... will post as soon as I have pics of both sides.
    Tyler J Maciolek

Really is Skeletor

Here are the floors. Some differences in how they fit to the inside of the castle. The smoothed and clipped edge one has the same model number, but has a large M above the copyright/model info. It also has raised circles instead of flat ones on the bottom.
    Tyler J Maciolek

Castle Greyskull international variants

I was looking into my several Castle Greyskull, and I realize this:

What do you think??

KNOCK-OFF MESSIAH galaxy warrior's Avatar
    no mark on the roto..nice

THE CONTINUING WORLD OF MOTU

http://cotuworld.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by galaxy warrior View Post
    no mark on the roto..nice
    Hehehe.... Yep

Avenge The Fallen Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Did the one released in America have any words on the front of the castle? I don't remember there being any, though its been years since I last saw my original Grayskull, so I really can't accurately recall if it did or not.

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    I wonder which of the two versions of the upper left turret floor each one has? Some versions have a flat floor, whereas others have three slots for the cannot to slot into.

(Also, I've seen shots of the little winged creature that holds the elevator in the up position being replaced by a hook, but I'm 99% sure that this was a prototype and wasn't actually released like this - unless someone can prove me wrong?).

(For more discussion, see this thread).
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Widget

Castle Grayskull stamped Australia.

Hi All,
    Not sure if this has been mentioned before. I just recieved a Castle Grayskull that is stamped.... MATTEL INC 1981 AUSTRALIA. Question is...Is there any other Masters of the Universe products that is stamped Australia?? I wasn't aware of an Australian variant until know. Thank-you for any help.

Widget
    Howdy

I got a battle bones misb that is made in Australia and a castle grayskull like yours

As far as I know there was a factory in Melbourne

Hope this helps

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    My memory may be playing tricks, but I do vaguley remember this being mentioned on the boards years ago.

I may be very wrong, but I think Australia only produced larger items (playsets, vehicles, etc.) as opposed to actual figures.

I'm sure someone will be able to put me right on that!
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Widget
    Thank-you for your answers. I have not been collecting long and it was the first Aussie stamp I had seen. I thought it would be on the board here somewhere but i couldn't find it. I will have to keep a look out for these items now. Thx again.

wow, sweet colors on it too! i like almost more than the greener version.

Looks like the indian leo version, darker.
    My collection: http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/ff142/leo_skeletor/

EL HEAVY NO ES VIOLENCIA

A new rare castle greyskull variant discovered

Posted in aussie thread by fellow oz trap jaw...

Quote Originally Posted by -TRaP-JaW- View Post
    Hey guys, has anyone still got their Castle Grayskull from when they were a kid? ... I was just setting up my new display and noticed my childhood grayskull has AUSTRALIA stamped on the inside of the front piece!!.I was like "whah tha?" ... My other 2 grayskulls are stamped USA & MEXICO ... all three are vastly different in colour & paint application, the Mexican one is very dark green, (even darker than the Eternia grayskull tower but the closest match out of the three) ... I guess they were pumpin' out grayskulls in Australia to meet the demand down under? I'm assuming no figures were made here? ... Anyone else got an Aussie Grayskull??
    Last edited by eddie3429; October 30, 2011 at 06:48am. Reason: typo

Gotta go check mine. Pretty cool.

I wish I could find the pink version.

Central Coast. Down Under. Southside Hell!
    I have a Snake Mountain with box that i got from a local seller here in Oz years ago & on the box the print reads 1983 Mattel Pty, ltd. 461 Plummer St. Port Melbourne VIC Housings moulded in Australia. Printed & Packaged in Australia. Balance of Parts Moulded in Italy. Hope this helps
    Skelehorde's Org Feedback

Skelehorde wants - Black Belt Leech - Beastman Green Whip - Nightstalker rotoplast

Castle Grayskull variants

How many Castle Grayskull variants was made?
    Please, post pictures for color comparisons.

I saw this one made in AUSTRALIA, posted by clarris76 here:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...mped-Australia

I have the one marked
    MATTEL INC 1981 (no country marks, it is probably Hong Kong???)

...and the others mentioned these:

MATTEL INC 1981 USA
    MATTEL INC 1981 MEXICO
    MATTEL INC 1981 AUSTRALIA
    But there are also LEO INDIA, ESTRELA BRAZIL....

I am especially interested what are the differences (in colors) between MATTEL INC 1981 USA and MATTEL INC 1981 (no country marks) since they seem to be the most common.

Castle Grayskull variants?

Why did Castle Grasykull feature different paint apps on its facade? Is it known how many variations there are, and the circumstances for each? Which do fans consider the definitive look? Below are some examples:

Example 1.
    A still shot from the missing animated He-Man TV spot. There is no paint on the castle from what I can tell.

Example 2.
    Another still shot from a different commercial. Again no paint is seen on the castle.

Example 3.
    From Ebay. Odd patterns of paint that don't match up to any other castles I've seen.

Example 4.
    Yet another unique design. This one features spots throughout the castle's facade.

Example 5.
    A newspaper advertisement. Far less paint on this one.

Examples 6, 7,and 8.
    Another print ad. Black around the eyes and a big black stripe up the skull. I found quite a few of these on Ebay as well.

Examples 9 and 10.
    From Ebay. Quite a lot of variation from black to two different shades of green. Interesting that the pattern continues up into the added Point Dread piece.

Example 11.
    Here is a good example of a castle with parts completely bare, while the rest has a mix of black, light green, and dark green paint.
    Last edited by AdultCollector; January 19, 2015 at 10:09pm.

The ones shown in the commercial do have shading, but it's applied intelligently, in the actual creases of the sculpt (like the Classics version).

The production version was much, much sloppier and heavy handed, but that did vary too. Mine, for example, has much less black on it than most (plenty of green though), and I think looks much better than those examples above

Edit: mine looks a lot like your example #5.

I seem to recall something about Australian examples being different somehow. There's an old thread somewhere around here on variants of CG
    Last edited by Lich Leech; January 19, 2015 at 08:48pm.

From Facebook: "They were supposed to use paint masks but they are only consistent if the person using them takes the time. Plus there were probably many different paint masks used."

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    The ones shown in the commercial do have shading
    Could the shading simply be shadows creating the illusion of paint?
    Last edited by AdultCollector; January 19, 2015 at 09:01pm.

Quote Originally Posted by AdultCollector View Post
    Could the shading simply be shadows creating the illusion of paint?
    I'm pretty sure it is shading. There is lighter green on the teeth and helmet, and the dark within the creases of the castle looks too dark to be natural shadow to me.

I think this is a picture of the same prototype, from the side of the vintage CG box. Check it out:

MOTU-EP-grayskull8A.jpg

Looks like light green paint on the surfaces that would get the most light, and black paint in the creases to give it some depth. I wish the production CGs had gotten that treatment. I remember getting mine as a kid and there was this streak of black paint from the front window up to the turret. I remember thinking it looked like there had been a fire.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, see here:

box side.JPG

That is HAND PAINTED PROTOTYPE in the commercial. Not the first prototype, but the one with the final sculpt (the one which was produced)

Note that figures on these photos are also prototypes.. you can clearly recognize early Teela prototypes at least because of the way different sculpt.