View Poll Results: How do you rate the vintage Stinkor figure? (with 10 being the best)

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 point

0 0%
  • 2 points

1 1.56%
  • 3 points

1 1.56%
  • 4 points

1 1.56%
  • 5 points

2 3.13%
  • 6 points

5 7.81%
  • 7 points

2 3.13%
  • 8 points

24 37.50%
  • 9 points

13 20.31%
  • 10 points

15 23.44%

Thread: Stinkor vintage figure review thread

Hybrid View

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

Stinkor vintage figure review thread

Well, last week's thread on Moss Man got a good number of posts, which surprised me slightly as I've always felt him to be an average, middling character.

Anyway, this week it only seems logical to do his evil scented counterpart, that odorous man-skunk, STINKOR.

Just as Moss Man's mold is a direct recycling of Beast Man's, Stinkor is a direct recycling of Mer Man's body and head mold, with black dye and white skunk markings. He wears an orange version of Mekaneck's armor, and carries a blue version of the Castle Grayskull shield.
    The pull of the figure is that he came with 'terrible' odor. When new, is really did smell. Of course, over the years, the odor on many examples have faded, although I have personally found that old Stinkors retain slightly more of their scent than pine-scented Moss Man.

The French-produced version is well known by collectors for instead coming with a blue version of He-Man's shield (the only other time this shield mold was used in the line).

I wanted Stinkor for ages before I finally got him. I saved my pocket money up every week for what seemed like an eternity. Finally I had enough to buy him, and really liked him. I didn't have Mer Man as a kid, so I didn't instantly pick up on the mold being recycled for the figure.

I seem to recall hearing on the radio at the time that Stinkor was the most requested boys Christmas toy in 1985 here in the United Kingdom.

Stinkor infamously did not appear in the Filmation cartoon series, with the writers citing that it would be impossible to include stories about a character whose power was smell on the screen.

This, of course, changed in the Mike Young Productions version in 2002, where Stinkor is given an origin story, in "The Sweet Smell of Victory", where he is shown to be Odiphus, a horrid little creature, who is desperate to impress Skeletor, and is transformed by magical Necrotia into Stinkor. His terrible odor is portrayed by clouds of evil-looking smog. The character went on to reappear in several subsequent episodes, where he is shown to love his new-found powers, and was shunned by the other Evil Warriors for his foul smell.

There was no accompanying 200x revamp figure of Stinkor, but a staction figurer was later released, reflecting his look in the MYP series. The main additions to the vintage look were chemical canisters on his back, suggesting that as well as producing his own evil odor, he could also make them with his chemicals.

All-in-all, in terms of a figure, Stinkor looks cool but it is slightly lazy, recycling Beast Man and Mekaneck parts. However, his unique and memorable feature of foul odor raises his score to very respectable 8 from me.

So there are my Stinkor-related ramblings.
    Please add your own thoughts, comments, criticisms, memories, and anything else Stinkor-related. And as always, whether you post or not, don't forget to rate the vintage figure in the poll!
    Last edited by Spacedust; June 29, 2007 at 04:53pm.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Well, personnally, I don't have any problem with molds being used for more than one character, as long as the mold fits each character perfectly, and the specific characteristics remain different. Didn't Mattel do the same thing with all She-Ra horses?
    That is how I feel towards Stinkor. His big round eyes looking like those of a cat, his fluffy ears, his black-and-white body... all of it makes him a wonderful figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhead Whale View Post
    Well, personnally, I don't have any problem with molds being used for more than one character, as long as the mold fits each character perfectly, and the specific characteristics remain different. Didn't Mattel do the same thing with all She-Ra horses?
    That is how I feel towards Stinkor. His big round eyes looking like those of a cat, his fluffy ears, his black-and-white body... all of it makes him a wonderful figure.
    Yep, in fairness, it was a reasonable use of mold, with the face really fitting Stinkor. I'll forgive them for this one!
    I think the recycled Mer Man mold works better for Stinkor than Beast Man's did for Moss Man.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

cyber-assassin
    Stinkor's a neat figure. I always dug him, and the shield was nice since they didn't make a whold lot of shield, but the greyskull shield was always a bit small in the handle. I recently found out about the he-man shield version, and would really like the shield. if anyone has one they want to get rid of.... e-mail me. I also thought the mekaneck armor fit well as the little tip at the top center of the armor made it look like a rebreather. I always liked the mer man mold (thought preferred the mer-man card art over the mold) and thought the rather cat-like shape of the head added to the figure, since skunks seem to be confused for cats in certain things (pepe le pew cartoons anyone?). It was a good figure.
    Those whom god wishes to destroy,
    He first makes mad. - Reinfield.

Widget
    My third favorite figure, behind moss man and mer man. Only thing I would have changed is giving him a weapon instead of a shield.
    Current needs:
    Hurricane Hordak 4 pronged shield.
    Snake Mountain gate ladder, net, 2 shackles 1 half of bridge
    Buzz Off Helmet Axe.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebigzakbowski View Post
    My third favorite figure, behind moss man and mer man. Only thing I would have changed is giving him a weapon instead of a shield.
    I agree; Even as a kid the shield struck me as "Okay, we need to give him a weapon. We haven't re-used the Grayskull shield yet, let's use that", and not overly suited to the character. They went through a phase of re-using most of the Grayskull weapons (axe - Buzz Off; spear - Whiplash; mace - Clawful and Moss Man; rifle - Webstor), and it fell to Stinkor to be the one to get the shield. I mean, if he really smelt that bad, few enemies are likely to get near enough for him to even need a shield (unless they're using lasers, I suppose).
    Last edited by Spacedust; July 2, 2007 at 11:12am. Reason: corrected spelling mistake
    ~jay firestorm~

I gave him a 6. I only have one of him left over from childhood.

He got a 6 because of the cool concept (a stink guy who just stinks) and black and white color scheme.

Also, he had a decent mini story.

Stinkor is the good times