View Poll Results: How do you rate the vintage Stinkor figure? (with 10 being the best)

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 point

0 0%
  • 2 points

1 1.56%
  • 3 points

1 1.56%
  • 4 points

1 1.56%
  • 5 points

2 3.13%
  • 6 points

5 7.81%
  • 7 points

2 3.13%
  • 8 points

24 37.50%
  • 9 points

13 20.31%
  • 10 points

15 23.44%

Thread: Stinkor vintage figure review thread

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

Stinkor vintage figure review thread

Well, last week's thread on Moss Man got a good number of posts, which surprised me slightly as I've always felt him to be an average, middling character.

Anyway, this week it only seems logical to do his evil scented counterpart, that odorous man-skunk, STINKOR.

Just as Moss Man's mold is a direct recycling of Beast Man's, Stinkor is a direct recycling of Mer Man's body and head mold, with black dye and white skunk markings. He wears an orange version of Mekaneck's armor, and carries a blue version of the Castle Grayskull shield.
    The pull of the figure is that he came with 'terrible' odor. When new, is really did smell. Of course, over the years, the odor on many examples have faded, although I have personally found that old Stinkors retain slightly more of their scent than pine-scented Moss Man.

The French-produced version is well known by collectors for instead coming with a blue version of He-Man's shield (the only other time this shield mold was used in the line).

I wanted Stinkor for ages before I finally got him. I saved my pocket money up every week for what seemed like an eternity. Finally I had enough to buy him, and really liked him. I didn't have Mer Man as a kid, so I didn't instantly pick up on the mold being recycled for the figure.

I seem to recall hearing on the radio at the time that Stinkor was the most requested boys Christmas toy in 1985 here in the United Kingdom.

Stinkor infamously did not appear in the Filmation cartoon series, with the writers citing that it would be impossible to include stories about a character whose power was smell on the screen.

This, of course, changed in the Mike Young Productions version in 2002, where Stinkor is given an origin story, in "The Sweet Smell of Victory", where he is shown to be Odiphus, a horrid little creature, who is desperate to impress Skeletor, and is transformed by magical Necrotia into Stinkor. His terrible odor is portrayed by clouds of evil-looking smog. The character went on to reappear in several subsequent episodes, where he is shown to love his new-found powers, and was shunned by the other Evil Warriors for his foul smell.

There was no accompanying 200x revamp figure of Stinkor, but a staction figurer was later released, reflecting his look in the MYP series. The main additions to the vintage look were chemical canisters on his back, suggesting that as well as producing his own evil odor, he could also make them with his chemicals.

All-in-all, in terms of a figure, Stinkor looks cool but it is slightly lazy, recycling Beast Man and Mekaneck parts. However, his unique and memorable feature of foul odor raises his score to very respectable 8 from me.

So there are my Stinkor-related ramblings.
    Please add your own thoughts, comments, criticisms, memories, and anything else Stinkor-related. And as always, whether you post or not, don't forget to rate the vintage figure in the poll!
    Last edited by Spacedust; June 29, 2007 at 03:53pm.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Well, personnally, I don't have any problem with molds being used for more than one character, as long as the mold fits each character perfectly, and the specific characteristics remain different. Didn't Mattel do the same thing with all She-Ra horses?
    That is how I feel towards Stinkor. His big round eyes looking like those of a cat, his fluffy ears, his black-and-white body... all of it makes him a wonderful figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhead Whale View Post
    Well, personnally, I don't have any problem with molds being used for more than one character, as long as the mold fits each character perfectly, and the specific characteristics remain different. Didn't Mattel do the same thing with all She-Ra horses?
    That is how I feel towards Stinkor. His big round eyes looking like those of a cat, his fluffy ears, his black-and-white body... all of it makes him a wonderful figure.
    Yep, in fairness, it was a reasonable use of mold, with the face really fitting Stinkor. I'll forgive them for this one!
    I think the recycled Mer Man mold works better for Stinkor than Beast Man's did for Moss Man.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

cyber-assassin
    Stinkor's a neat figure. I always dug him, and the shield was nice since they didn't make a whold lot of shield, but the greyskull shield was always a bit small in the handle. I recently found out about the he-man shield version, and would really like the shield. if anyone has one they want to get rid of.... e-mail me. I also thought the mekaneck armor fit well as the little tip at the top center of the armor made it look like a rebreather. I always liked the mer man mold (thought preferred the mer-man card art over the mold) and thought the rather cat-like shape of the head added to the figure, since skunks seem to be confused for cats in certain things (pepe le pew cartoons anyone?). It was a good figure.
    Those whom god wishes to destroy,
    He first makes mad. - Reinfield.

Widget
    My third favorite figure, behind moss man and mer man. Only thing I would have changed is giving him a weapon instead of a shield.
    Current needs:
    Hurricane Hordak 4 pronged shield.
    Snake Mountain gate ladder, net, 2 shackles 1 half of bridge
    Buzz Off Helmet Axe.

I gave him a 6. I only have one of him left over from childhood.

He got a 6 because of the cool concept (a stink guy who just stinks) and black and white color scheme.

Also, he had a decent mini story.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebigzakbowski View Post
    My third favorite figure, behind moss man and mer man. Only thing I would have changed is giving him a weapon instead of a shield.
    I agree; Even as a kid the shield struck me as "Okay, we need to give him a weapon. We haven't re-used the Grayskull shield yet, let's use that", and not overly suited to the character. They went through a phase of re-using most of the Grayskull weapons (axe - Buzz Off; spear - Whiplash; mace - Clawful and Moss Man; rifle - Webstor), and it fell to Stinkor to be the one to get the shield. I mean, if he really smelt that bad, few enemies are likely to get near enough for him to even need a shield (unless they're using lasers, I suppose).
    Last edited by Spacedust; July 2, 2007 at 10:12am. Reason: corrected spelling mistake
    ~jay firestorm~

He has always been a personal favorite. I like that smell. I thought that was the coolest thing as a kid that the toy stinks like its supposed to. Thats an A+ all arounf for Mattel.
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Widget
    Stinkor is one of my favourite figures, and I was really happy to see him appearing in the MYP show. I think he does a great job of redeeming the Mer-Man mold which was a pretty dismal failure at effectively conveying Mer-Man's aquatic nature. The mold definitely works better for Stinkor than it did for Mer-Man. Personally I think the mold-recycling here is much more successful than Moss-Man's.

Heroic Warrior
    Like him very, very much. Great colours, menacing look. He seems spread evil around.
    8/10.
    Stinkor would be better if he came with a bashing, cutting or hitting weapon rather than a shield.

Heroic Warrior

lame!

I have no problem with remolds, and honestly think it is one of the more endeering traits of MOTU that was later copied by everybody else. But I prefer a remold with a bit of flair and originality, like Faker, or Mossman, that builds on a cool image, not recycling with a different color. I will concede on the smell though, that was about the only thing that made him interesting.

adam

I allways liked Stinkor because in a one on one fight with a heroic warrior. they would have to hold thier breath, while fighting Stinkor. and when they couldint hold their breath no more stinkor would win. unless they had one of those rebreathers, like faker32828 had mentioned.

man at arms had one, and mecaneck. I sometimes put mekaneck armor on another figure. just to fight Stinkor, those armor peices gave me the same inpression. and even those would eventuley break. from Stinkors foul smell, heroic wariors allways needed back up. with Stinkor around, I have great memories of Stinkor. and have to say a perfect ten with no complaints.

Stinkor was one of my personal favourites as a kid, that smell was a ripper making him truly unique, as in re-moulds i dont have any problem aslong as they made him look like a STINKOR

Stinkor has always been one of my favorite second tier toadies... I agree with the sentiment that he needed a weapon of some sort, though (Maybe a recycled Man-at-arms' mace?)

I gave him an 8
    Faker: Evil Robotic He-Man Imposter!

Heroic Warrior
    Stinkor was a good figure and he did really stink.

Why? Because of all of the reused molds, I thought this was not only the most creative, but also surpassed the original use of the molds. I never thought MER-MAN's head looked right (or even matched the artwork) and face it, neither did you. But as a skunk it looked perfect! And MEKANECK's armor was okay, but as STINKOR's that little tab that looked like a microphone seemed like it was there to cover STINKOR's nose to protect him from his own stench! Add to this a cool color scheme and one of the most original 'action' features in history, and you've got one of the most memorable characters in the MOTU line. It's weirdness like this that really defines MOTU and sets it apart from other lines.
    "I damned the world to save my daughter once... and I will do it for her again."
    I do custom action figures, commissioned art, and I will make any Masters of the Universe costume, tailored to you!
    View my website! http://www.havocstaff.50megs.com

Stinkor is one of the coolest figures to have MOC because of the caption on the front of the card, "Product has real smell...it's fun!" I can't imagine a toy would sell these days with that feature.

I gave him a 7 just because ot the re used mold, but the smell is what made this figure.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

has too many toys. The Trollan Stud's Avatar
    8/10. Another figure I didn't have until I was an adult.

I remember asking for him for my birthday one year. I got a boatload of MOTU stuff, but Stinkor was not among them. But I got Orko, so I was OK. I later found him at a store, and my mom wouldn't buy him because of the smell. A kid who lived in my neighborhood that also had a lot of MOTU stuff had Stinkor and brought him over to my house more than a few times. My mom thought that smell was horrible, so she refused to buy it.

I love the colours they used for him. Looked very appealing.
    But is smelling an action feature? Great use of existing molds to create an original character. 8/10

Heroic Master Of Bad Luck
    6/10. I don't like to much Stinkor. When i was a child, i didn't have the stinkor figure, maybe for that reason, i don't feel nothing special about him. Sorry Stinkor
    We are ka-tet. We are one from many

Don't hesitate in make deals with: JeMaBo2, air23cnhit.

Stinkor was one of my favorite figures-- I actually liked the stink and still do-- patchouli is gooooood. He was quirky, fun, and probably the best redeco figure idea I've ever come across. 10
    Signed by-- ME!

---
    Did I ever grow up? Probably not. I'm sure the day-glo socks gave it away anyway.

NA mini-sub Supporter ! Arkangel's Avatar
    dam it, i gotta smell one of these, been curious for a long time

Stinkor is the good times