View Poll Results: Should the New He-Man film have ANY connection to Earth?

Voters
335. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

48 14.33%
  • No.

245 73.13%
  • Maybe, on the fence...

31 9.25%
  • Don't really mind either way.

11 3.28%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should the New He-Man film have ANY Connection to Earth?

Hybrid View

Should the New He-Man film have ANY Connection to Earth?

(Especially after seeing and loving Transformers...)
    Just curious since I agree with those who feel that the films that recognize Earth's existence increases the viewer's intimate connection to the film by adding that sense of realism, even when the rest of the story is quite unreal...

And BEFORE you decide, I don't necessarily mean the type of connection to Earth as was used in the first live-action film, the whole "Battle on Earth" idea which is definitely NOT what I want to see in a new He-Man film, rather I would like the connection to be that Marlena is in fact a young pilot from Earth that crash-lands on Eternia... Or possibly some other reboot connection to Earth like, but not necessarily, the one rumored about Adam being a pilot who crash-lands-on/comes-to Eternia to save it from the evil Skeletor and his technological(-or-not) army of mutants....

Personally I think they ought to try and stick with the original concept of having Marlena from Earth, but maybe just tweaking it slightly, like say she gets sucked through some time/warp portal that originates on Eternia but opens up on the other side somewhere on Earth just at the right moment, say as Marlena is piloting a test run for the u.s. air force when she suddenly vanishes into thin air, say in the midst of the Bermuda Triangle....?

Or maybe you have some different connection to Earth in mind, maybe one that is only hinted at in the film...?

Or maybe you adamantly oppose ANY type of connection to Earth...?

So what're your thoughts? Yes? ...No? ...Maybe? ...Don't mind either way?
    – No comment.

Warlord of the Elders Dr. Omega's Avatar
    No. No Earth.

Marlena is too minor of a character to get into her back story.

Just let Eternia stand on it's own for this film.

LOTR didn't need an Earth tie-in.

Dr. Ω

Eternian Historian of Art Lex_Alfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Omega View Post
    No. No Earth.

Dr. Ω
    I completely agree

Quote Originally Posted by Lex_Alfa View Post
    I completely agree
    Absolutely, PLEASE DEAR LORD FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, Do not involve Earth at all!

earth should never be mentioned on eternia.
    the whole he-man being half earthling and that makeing him special is just IMO bad.
    he is chosen for one of 2 reasons:
    good moral character and inner need to defend and proptect those who cant protect them selves.
    or he is descendent of King Grayskull and channels his powers.
    please for love of all things MOTU slap the person in the meeting who even mentions , "hey should we go to earth?"
    Eternian Beastmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Leoghan View Post
    ...please for love of all things MOTU slap the person in the meeting who even mentions , "hey should we go to earth?"
    Hey, I'd slap 'em too! But only because, I still think Marlena should be from Earth, however, one foot need not ever be stepped upon Earth, rather a simple "wink" or "hint" to her Earth-origin is all I'm asking for, something like her mentioning something about how her home planet where the name "Earth" may not even be said explicitly, but rather implicitly.
    – No comment.

Heroic Warrior
    No. No Earth.

Dr. Ω
    I say no- the above sums up my opinion nicely.
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

This is a no-brainer. Answer: no. no. and no.

MOTU is high-high-fantasy. Why set any of it on Earth? MOTU belongs on Eternia. Just as Star Wars belongs in a Galaxy Far Far Away and LOTR belongs in Middle Earth.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I voted yes.

Earth shouldn't be mentioned in the first movie, nor the second, this all depends if the film becomes a trilogy.

In the final movie, Queen Marlena should say where she came from (Earth) and tell He-Man about how she came to Eternia. I'm not saying bring the movie all to earth, but just mention a bit to leave the viewer thinking, He-Man is half earthling. The specifics of when or which time on earth don't need to be revealed.

As a kid I often watched movies not set on earth and wished it all happened in real life (Star Wars), if a kid is watching MOTU, it would give that feeling that all thats happenining on Eternia and He-Man has a link to earth somehow and can happen in real life. Its all about imagination.

And the other point is, the property is called Masters of The Universe, so including other planets, dimensions, galaxies other than Eternia is a must.

Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    And the other point is, the property is called Masters of The Universe, so including other planets, dimensions, galaxies other than Eternia is a must.
    Good point.
    – No comment.

Hey guys. I think a movie would be great, but think of the possibilities a live action television series could have. Sure the special effects wouldn't be as grand as the cinemas, but with, say an hour long weekly show, think of the character development and backstories they could include. Think of the great series "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" it outshined the movie it was based on, i think due to the evolving of the characters. That would be nice to see with He-Man and the Masters, with a lot of nostalgia thrown in like the 2000comics had.

Down With the Sickness! Jack T. Chance's Avatar
    The Planet Garnet, AKA Hellhole, Space Sector 0017
    I think Earth can be tied in, ONLY if it can be done in a plausible way, i.e. it's the far, far future, mankind has colonized other planets in our galaxy, and Eternia is one of those planets. But as for any of the MOTU characters being from Earth... I'm more iffy on that. Why does Marlena need to be from Earth? Or Adam? To me, it's enough to say that the humans of Eternia are descended from the original human colonists. Nothing more than that is really necessary, IMHO.
    No. No Earth.

Dr. Ω
    Quote Originally Posted by KILLER-CLONE View Post
    This is a no-brainer. Answer: no. no. and no.

MOTU is high-high-fantasy. Why set any of it on Earth? MOTU belongs on Eternia. Just as Star Wars belongs in a Galaxy Far Far Away and LOTR belongs in Middle Earth.
    You're both wrong, though, in regards to LOTR. If either of you had actually researched Tolkien and his work, you'd know that Middle-earth IS Earth... thousands of years in the past! The name Middle-earth wasn't even created by Tolkien. It's a modern English transliteration of various ancient names for the Earth, from various cultures. In fact, it's the modern English equivalent of the Norse name for the Earth, Midgard. Of course, Tolkien was really into history and languages. As a linguist, he even based his invented languages on real languages from European cultures. If Elvish sounds familiar, it's because it's based on a real language. I think the end of the Third Age (the time period of Lord of the Rings) is supposed to be roughly 6,000 years ago. Just like Robert E. Howard's Hyborean Age (the era in which Conan's adventures take place) is Howard's imaginary ancient Earth of about 12,000 years ago!

Now, of course, with MOTU being Science Fantasy, you could always give it the ultimate Science Fantasy twist, which is that this story, seemingly set in a distant, forgotten past, is actually taking place in Earth's far FUTURE, thousands of years from now, when our present day is the past that mankind has forgotten!

Anyway, there's different ways to go with it, as long as it makes sense, and isn't as campy as one or more of the characters being astronauts from Earth some... 10 or 20 years from now, or something stupid like that, then I'll probably be okay with it... unless they foolishly do a rehash of the first movie, and have He-Man and company running around on modern day Earth. There's no reason to do that kind of low budget cheese AGAIN. It would surely put the final nail in this franchise's coffin!
    On June 17th, 2011...
    No evil shall escape
    his sight!

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Hmm. Don't know on this one. Either way could work. The original series was tied to Earth. The new one wasn't. Both worked.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Today's sermon topic: What is Hell? Come hear our choir!"

Well I certainly don't think it needs to include Earth, I do think that it would be easier to screw things up with it than without. Honestly the most I would want is a hint, like someone mentioning that MARLENA is originally from some far off land that she never speaks of to anyone but RANDOR. That way, if we get more than one movie, the sequels could explore this hint or not, depending on how much other stuff there is to focus on. But just to make things easy, I voted:

NO.

@ KILLER-CLONE: Wouldn't MOTU be considered low-fantasy since it's more about the frequent battles between warring factions than some epic quest to retrieve a sacred artifact and fulfill destiny and all that?
    Last edited by Vahn; July 6, 2007 at 08:41am.
    "I damned the world to save my daughter once... and I will do it for her again."
    I do custom action figures, commissioned art, and I will make any Masters of the Universe costume, tailored to you!
    View my website! http://www.havocstaff.50megs.com

What would be the point to include earth. I mean, what's so damn important about earth, or interesting. There is no need to explain any humanoid characteristics or anything in eternian mythology.
    And the 'planet of the apes' effect, being set on earth itself in the far future (or past for that matter) would be just terrible.
    There is much storytelling to do, even in a trilogy. Too much to make earthly plottwists/connections IMHO. Motu is out of this world in every aspect. I hope it stays that way forever and ever.

People still can use their imagination I hope and don't need a familiar reference point like earth to feel it's "real" or could be real. Or am I totally missing the point here.

So: No.
    Last edited by plasmapulse; July 6, 2007 at 09:59am. Reason: added content
    --------
    Joachim

Quote Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
    I think Earth can be tied in, ONLY if it can be done in a plausible way, i.e. it's the far, far future, mankind has colonized other planets in our galaxy, and Eternia is one of those planets. But as for any of the MOTU characters being from Earth... I'm more iffy on that. Why does Marlena need to be from Earth? Or Adam? To me, it's enough to say that the humans of Eternia are descended from the original human colonists. Nothing more than that is really necessary, IMHO. You're both wrong, though, in regards to LOTR. If either of you had actually researched Tolkien and his work, you'd know that Middle-earth IS Earth... thousands of years in the past! The name Middle-earth wasn't even created by Tolkien. It's a modern English transliteration of various ancient names for the Earth, from various cultures. In fact, it's the modern English equivalent of the Norse name for the Earth, Midgard. Of course, Tolkien was really into history and languages. As a linguist, he even based his invented languages on real languages from European cultures. If Elvish sounds familiar, it's because it's based on a real language. I think the end of the Third Age (the time period of Lord of the Rings) is supposed to be roughly 6,000 years ago. Just like Robert E. Howard's Hyborean Age (the era in which Conan's adventures take place) is Howard's imaginary ancient Earth of about 12,000 years ago!

Now, of course, with MOTU being Science Fantasy, you could always give it the ultimate Science Fantasy twist, which is that this story, seemingly set in a distant, forgotten past, is actually taking place in Earth's far FUTURE, thousands of years from now, when our present day is the past that mankind has forgotten!

Anyway, there's different ways to go with it, as long as it makes sense, and isn't as campy as one or more of the characters being astronauts from Earth some... 10 or 20 years from now, or something stupid like that, then I'll probably be okay with it... unless they foolishly do a rehash of the first movie, and have He-Man and company running around on modern day Earth. There's no reason to do that kind of low budget cheese AGAIN. It would surely put the final nail in this franchise's coffin!

Dude, I think you're being too literal in your interpretation of the question posed by this thread. I think the question is should a MOTU movie involve Earth as in 'our Earth'. Modern Earth. The Middle Earth of LOTR is NOT our Earth. it may be 'earth' in another time but its not OUR Earth. So I stand by my original statement that LOTR is set in Middle Earth, not Earth. Middle Earth is as 'made up' as Eternia or A Galaxy Far Far Away. Just because Tolkien said that Middle Earth is our Earth millennia ago doesn't make it true in fact. It's all fantasy. And that's the point.

And by the way I was bought up in a household where Star Wars and LOTR ruled so I think I know my Tolkien law.

For Hordak. To the death. lorde trooper's Avatar
    I voted yes.

Earth shouldn't be mentioned in the first movie, nor the second, this all depends if the film becomes a trilogy.

In the final movie, Queen Marlena should say where she came from (Earth) and tell He-Man about how she came to Eternia. I'm not saying bring the movie all to earth, but just mention a bit to leave the viewer thinking, He-Man is half earthling. The specifics of when or which time on earth don't need to be revealed.

As a kid I often watched movies not set on earth and wished it all happened in real life (Star Wars), if a kid is watching MOTU, it would give that feeling that all thats happenining on Eternia and He-Man has a link to earth somehow and can happen in real life. Its all about imagination.

I agree totally.
    Evil Army of the Horde!!

I have nothing agains Marlena mentioning that she is from Earth, but I still voted plain NO because I think moviemakers are probably reading this. I wouldn't want any of the action taking part on Earth. Some other plantes would be OK if they were featured briefly. Of course, Etheria could be a bit more prominent. But I really believe thay should establish Etarnia first - and later on, if we get part 5 or 6, they could move on to other planets.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Or we could just have Adam and Marlena talking about her past and her mentioning her home planet and what its like - making it obvious to the audience that its Earth, with out actually stating it.

Quote Originally Posted by Onekorn View Post
    Good point.
    That depends on the definition of universe you choose...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universe

Include earth just because of marlena? for what? how does that contribute to the story of motu?

I love the idea of starting with Marlena's arival on Eternia, but it's by no means integral to the movie. Any more explenation of Marlenas origin on top of that though, and it seems it would be taking too much time away from the movie, and there are no other appropriate connections that can be made with Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by vazqjose View Post
    Include earth just because of marlena? for what? how does that contribute to the story of motu?
    I think Lord_of_destruction did a great job of explaining this one.

In my opinion, in relation to the original question, as a kid, my two best MOTU moments were the Christmas Special, and the Movie. Both of those were because kids from Earth, my planet, were brought into the world, able to interact with He-man and his warriors, brought onto Eternia to join the struggle, etc.

As a child, the target audience, that meant it could happen to me. Nothing was more exciting as a kid than seeing my childhood hero interact with us, the ordinary people, and of course us ordinary people being the straw that tipped the balance in the favour of good triumphing over evil.

Nowaday's I don't think it will make much difference as there aren't really any child fans out there, they'll either be new to the story/characters, or us. I.e. adults who used to be child fans!

So whether Earth is involved or not, outside He-man's heritage, I don't think will make much difference. If the character is strong enough to have kids walking out thinking they want to be He-man like we did, then knowing that He-man is half Earthling will be as much of a potential draw as it was back then for aftersales of figures and rejuvenation, etc. But without having the prior excitement of knowing the character, actually having him and the warriors interact with Earthlings or not wont make much difference to pulling people in.
    Last edited by fantombe; October 29, 2009 at 08:50am.

Lord_of_destruction definitely made some good and valid points there. I was first gona just say no, since I was thinking the same as vazqjose. Then again Marlena being from Earth does make Adam and Adora unique so it might very well serve a good point. However that being said, I really don't want to have that as one of the main focus points of the movie.
    "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." Heb 11:1 (NIV)

Widget
    I say mention earth if you have to but there is a reference to it in the He-man She-ra christmas special. Anyway would their powers work outside of Eternia/Etheria??