View Poll Results: Should the New He-Man film have ANY connection to Earth?

Voters
335. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

48 14.33%
  • No.

245 73.13%
  • Maybe, on the fence...

31 9.25%
  • Don't really mind either way.

11 3.28%
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Should the New He-Man film have ANY Connection to Earth?

Red Snapper...

That's funny. Love it.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Slackbot View Post
    I voted no.

If the connection was as minor as Marlena being from Earth, I could deal with that. But if they mentioned that factoid in the movie it would come across as a puzzling red herring unless you explained more, and then it would grow into a bigger red herring (red snapper?) or develop into a plot point.

I think a reference to Earth would add a much-needed touch of humor to the film.

Maybe we could have a party (Gathering of dignitaries, perhaps? Maybe include one-shots such as Stratos and Buzz-Off? MOTU IS supposed to be epic now, isn't it?)

It doesn't have to be anything MAJOR:

Teela: His and Her Highnesses are hosting a Royal ball.
    MAA: That's nice.
    Teela: There's going to be an informal event the day before. Something The Queen calls a ... "barbecue".
    MAA: A ... "barbecue".
    Teela: You know ... a party. The Queen tells me her family had them all the time ... back on Earth.
    MAA: What do they serve at these ... barbecues?
    Teela: Steaks ... ground meat things called "hamburgers" and "cheeseburgers" ... and something called "hot dogs".
    MAA (shaking his head, bemused): Her Highness and her Terran customs.

Seriously, Queen Marlena could be Eternia's own Barbara Bush!

Seriously, do we REALLY want two hours of action, action, action without any character development? You might as well get Michael Bay or Uwe Boll to direct.
    Last edited by Mirage; July 6, 2007 at 11:19pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post

Seriously, do we REALLY want two hours of action, action, action without any character development? You might as well get Michael Bay or Uwe Boll to direct.
    No sir. As long as it doesn't include Earth they may develop all they want. I'm sure there are several other ways to make conversation on a royal party. There must be
    --------
    Joachim

^ Leave out Earth and the movie risks committing all over again one of MYP MOTU's gravest sins: shrinking the "universe" down to Planet Eternia.

Co-Creator of the NV
    That was a sin that I really, really, really, reallly liked.

If bringing in another planet is so important, then just have someone say, "Skeletor was trained by an evil ******* from Etheria"

And then someone else can say, "Who and what is Etheria?"

Then a third person can chime in, "By Hordak, who kidnapped Prince Adam's twin sister, Princess Adora, but we aren't supposed to know that yet"

At while point the first two look at him funny, bray at him like a donkey and walk away.

Star Wars doesn't have a connection to earth. Neither does Lord of the Rings. Earth is stoopid.

Down With the Sickness! Jack T. Chance's Avatar
    The Planet Garnet, AKA Hellhole, Space Sector 0017
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Oh, no. Now you've gone and done it! You just HAD to go and throw that name out there!

For the crime of typing the true name of He Who Must Not Be Named, I hereby sentence you to be....
    FLOGGED WITH A WET NOODLE!!!

--Dan (who can't believe people keep giving that vile German director work!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad2dbone View Post
    Star Wars doesn't have a connection to earth. Neither does Lord of the Rings. Earth is stoopid.
    Somebody clearly hasn't been reading all the posts in this thread, Brad! Otherwise, you would've seen this post on the first page:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
    You're both wrong, though, in regards to LOTR. If either of you had actually researched Tolkien and his work, you'd know that Middle-earth IS Earth... thousands of years in the past! The name Middle-earth wasn't even created by Tolkien. It's a modern English transliteration of various ancient names for the Earth, from various cultures. In fact, it's the modern English equivalent of the Norse name for the Earth, Midgard. Of course, Tolkien was really into history and languages. As a linguist, he even based his invented languages on real languages from European cultures. If Elvish sounds familiar, it's because it's based on a real language. I think the end of the Third Age (the time period of Lord of the Rings) is supposed to be roughly 6,000 years ago.
    Of course, if you were any kind of REAL fan of LOTR, you would've already known that!
    Last edited by Jack T. Chance; July 7, 2007 at 05:56am. Reason: Added additional reply
    On June 17th, 2011...
    No evil shall escape
    his sight!

Co-Creator of the NV
    Who is Uwe Boll and what unforgiveable abomination is connected to his name?

Down With the Sickness! Jack T. Chance's Avatar
    The Planet Garnet, AKA Hellhole, Space Sector 0017
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    Who is Uwe Boll and what unforgiveable abomination is connected to his name?
    There you guys go again!

You want to know what unforgivable abominations He Who Must Not Be Named has given us? You mean you actually don't know?

Fine. Let me name his crimes against humanity, his unpardonable sins!
    1. House of the Dead
    2. Alone in the Dark
    3. BloodRayne
    4. In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale (due out later this year)
    5. Postal (due out later this year?)
    6. BloodRayne II: Deliverance (Due out... sometime?)
    7. Far Cry (now filming, due in 2008)
    Do you notice a common thread, a trait these all share?

They were all VIDEO GAMES, and in some cases, very good ones, at that. And yet, He Who Must Not Be Named is allowed to completely ruin their good names, to treat their fans with complete and total disrespect. These movies aren't B grade flicks... they're nowhere near that good! Try Z grade. They're so horrendous, I wouldn't even use the DVDs as coasters to set my drink on, lest they somehow manage to contaminate my beverage!
    Last edited by Jack T. Chance; July 7, 2007 at 05:57am.
    On June 17th, 2011...
    No evil shall escape
    his sight!

For Hordak. To the death. lorde trooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    I voted yes.

Earth shouldn't be mentioned in the first movie, nor the second, this all depends if the film becomes a trilogy.

In the final movie, Queen Marlena should say where she came from (Earth) and tell He-Man about how she came to Eternia. I'm not saying bring the movie all to earth, but just mention a bit to leave the viewer thinking, He-Man is half earthling. The specifics of when or which time on earth don't need to be revealed.

As a kid I often watched movies not set on earth and wished it all happened in real life (Star Wars), if a kid is watching MOTU, it would give that feeling that all thats happenining on Eternia and He-Man has a link to earth somehow and can happen in real life. Its all about imagination.

And the other point is, the property is called Masters of The Universe, so including other planets, dimensions, galaxies other than Eternia is a must.
    I agree totally.
    Evil Army of the Horde!!

could go either way..i like vals' idea of Marlena's mission...crashland...maybe she's rescued by Randor...flash forward 20 years. then the real action begins!
    AWESOME TRADERS:
    Sammy Banderas/jcb1973/Troy-Klops/Mystical musician/Daviono1089

MY .ORG FEEDBACK

MY EBAY FEEDBACK

"I Do hope you don't bruise easily He-Man!"
    ~Stevetor~

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    I wouldn't have a problem with them showing Marlena crashlanding on Eternia, a prologue so to speak, ala Lord of the Rings.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

I have nothing agains Marlena mentioning that she is from Earth, but I still voted plain NO because I think moviemakers are probably reading this. I wouldn't want any of the action taking part on Earth. Some other plantes would be OK if they were featured briefly. Of course, Etheria could be a bit more prominent. But I really believe thay should establish Etarnia first - and later on, if we get part 5 or 6, they could move on to other planets.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Or we could just have Adam and Marlena talking about her past and her mentioning her home planet and what its like - making it obvious to the audience that its Earth, with out actually stating it.

Marlena can be from earth... as long as no one mentions it. Kind of a 'dont't ask, don't tell' policy

Nonononononnonnonononononnon.....nooooooo!!
    Pammy is the Greatest ans Most Beautyfull Girl off all Times.....whitout a Doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by funkypunkyboy View Post
    Marlena can be from earth... as long as no one mentions it. Kind of a 'dont't ask, don't tell' policy
    HA!! ...that was funny.
    – No comment.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    I voted "no," as I do not see how establishing a connection to Earth would be relevant to the plot.

haha!

Or maybe they could add a bit of comedy and show a quick shot of Marlena's closet with a NASA jacket in there.

Co-Creator of the NV
    This is the only way I would be happy with her being from earth... But I would also add no hinting or implications point to it, lol

I voted yes! I like Marlena being from earth.

It also just makes things more interesting than "the mystic land of Eternia".
    I'd like to think the universe of MOTU is bigger than just Eternia.
    The fate of the universe is decided on Eternia after all, that includes Earth.
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Co-Creator of the NV
    I prefer to see it as the Universe not including Earth at all. Similarly, it likely doesn't include Krypton. I would like Eternia to be in its own reality entirely independent of Earth.

I actually don't like the idea of MOTU being bigger than Eternia, partially because I never liked the technological aspects of it and would love them to be played down as much as possible. However, I wouldn't mind there being other planets or planes or dimensions or something that are mystically connected to Eternia.

I voted no, as well. Though, I would definitely keep the Marlena connection, if only to use it as an interesting plot thread. Unlike some others, I would gladly accept some other plot device than the mere "Uhoh! Skeletor is attacking!" as well as focusing some character development on some of the other characters OTHER than Heman and Skeletor.

I voted Yes because it was always a part of the charm knowing that Adam was half human. A priceless moment from the Filmation MOTU was on "Visitors From Earth", when you heard in utter fascination, "Earth! So that's where my mother's from." It wasn't overly stated on the old cartoon either so it was never dwelled upon.

Drewsky...
    Quote Originally Posted by King Grayskull
    By my name shall my decendents have the honor and power to combat evil.
    -----
    There's a third sword of Grayskull...I know it!
    -----
    http://eternia.4t.com
    UNDER RENOVATIONS! Try the first & only Classic line Create-A-Figure!
    -----
    WANTED: MOC MOTUC Whiplash, MOC MOTUC Roboto

Quote Originally Posted by Drewsky View Post
    I voted Yes because it was always a part of the charm knowing that Adam was half human. A priceless moment from the Filmation MOTU was on "Visitors From Earth", when you heard in utter fascination, "Earth! So that's where my mother's from." It wasn't overly stated on the old cartoon either so it was never dwelled upon.

Drewsky...

Agreed! it shouldn't be made a into a big deal if it is in the movie.
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com