View Poll Results: Should the New He-Man film have ANY connection to Earth?

Voters
335. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    48 14.33%
  • No.

    245 73.13%
  • Maybe, on the fence...

    31 9.25%
  • Don't really mind either way.

    11 3.28%
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 276 to 300 of 386

Thread: Should the New He-Man film have ANY Connection to Earth?

  1. #276
    Heroic Evil Warrior! Neutro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    LB, Cali-ternia
    Posts
    3,550
    WOW! I just saw Transformers for the third time today (with Mom this time btw, and yeah, she was like "WOW, that was SO-ooo COOL!")... Seriously?? What-ta GREAT friggin' movie! (...even more this time 'round!)

    And so I GOTTA say... "Yeah, I still say YES!"

    ...Definitely set on Eternia, but I can't help but want SOME type of Earth connection (preferably the Marlena link...)

    – No comment.

  2. #277
    Whip Master TheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Kuwait
    Posts
    420

    No no please no!

    I believe that connecting earth to the movie will totally ruin it, people dont want to see such a fantasy directing, it need to be based on a LOTR concept! Not some stupid law budget movies concept, think of it, having these all characters, He-Man & Heroic warriors, Villains, Evil Horde & Snake men would make it even better than LOTR with good story line & script.
    Keep us earthans away from the movie & focus how to produce a classic original movie!
    watching me wanting me
    i can feel you pull me down
    fearing you loving you
    i won't let you pull me down
    Amy Lee

  3. #278
    First Class, Unlimited Mirage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Asgard
    Posts
    4,412
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreat View Post
    I believe that connecting earth to the movie will totally ruin it, people dont want to see such a fantasy directing, it need to be based on a LOTR concept!

    Ummm ... this isn't LOTR.

  4. #279
    Whip Master TheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Kuwait
    Posts
    420
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Ummm ... this isn't LOTR.

    The concept & directing, not the story or characters!
    watching me wanting me
    i can feel you pull me down
    fearing you loving you
    i won't let you pull me down
    Amy Lee

  5. #280
    First Class, Unlimited Mirage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Asgard
    Posts
    4,412
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreat View Post
    The concept & directing, not the story or characters!

    I realize that ...


    At the same time, the MOTU canon DOES include Marlena being from Earth.

  6. #281
    Master of Disco Vega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    I realize that ...


    At the same time, the MOTU canon DOES include Marlena being from Earth.
    Exactly, if you were to take that out its like having a new Batman canon where his parents are never killed!
    MOTU FANATIC 4EVER

  7. #282
    Heroic Warrior dagodfather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Posts
    498
    I agree with the majority, keep the movie in eternia.

  8. #283
    Heroic Warrior Flor2099's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    MINNEAPOLIS
    Posts
    3,509
    Quote Originally Posted by Vega View Post
    Exactly, if you were to take that out its like having a new Batman canon where his parents are never killed!
    What!

    Name ONE thing that would actually change in MOTU if she wasn't from Earth, except for the fact that she wouldn't be from Earth.

    Oh yeah, they wouldn't know about Christmas. That's about it.

    Good lord.

  9. #284
    First Class, Unlimited Mirage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Asgard
    Posts
    4,412
    Stripping Marlena of her Earth origins was an overreaction to the `87 film, IMO.



    It's little details like Marlena's history that make a property unique ... that make it something other than warmed-over LOTR.

  10. #285
    Co-Creator of the NV
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,697
    I don't see it as an overreaction to the 87 movie.

    Obviously it is a good idea to avoid similarities to the movie, but I don't think that that is the main reason why one should avoid the Marlena connection to Earth. Sure it will bring up comparisons to the old movie, but those comparisons are not Earth shattering.

    The reason why it should be avoided is because it weakens the story and the property as a whole. It was the worst idea in the filmation series and should never have been used. The best thing that MYP did was not bring it up.

    When fleshing out Marlena's past, I'd be fine with them hinting that she is from somewhere other than Eternia, but only if they don't hint that it is Earth. Those who like the idea of an Earth reference can smile to themselves and say that she was from Earth. Those who don't, can tell themselves she isn't from Earth and be happy with it that way.

  11. #286
    First Class, Unlimited Mirage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Asgard
    Posts
    4,412
    ^ Don't make me break out my dead horse now.

  12. #287
    Co-Creator of the NV
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,697
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    ^ Don't make me break out my dead horse now.
    Please don't.... it really really smells

  13. #288
    Master of Disco Vega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    The reason why it should be avoided is because it weakens the story and the property as a whole. It was the worst idea in the filmation series and should never have been used. The best thing that MYP did was not bring it up.
    No, Marlena being from Earth is what gave MOTU life imo and kept it away from being a generic barbarian fantasy tale. The WORST thing MYP did was not metion it. Like Mirage says without it MOTU is just a warmed-over LOTR.
    MOTU FANATIC 4EVER

  14. #289
    Co-Creator of the NV
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,697
    Quote Originally Posted by Vega View Post
    No, Marlena being from Earth is what gave MOTU life imo and kept it away from being a generic barbarian fantasy tale. The WORST thing MYP did was not metion it. Like Mirage says without it MOTU is just a warmed-over LOTR.
    And with it, it is a warmed-over crappy generic LOTR that has delusions of Buck Rogers

  15. #290
    Master of Disco Vega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    And with it, it is a warmed-over crappy generic LOTR that has delusions of Buck Rogers
    Heh, sounds unique to me doesnt it?
    MOTU FANATIC 4EVER

  16. #291
    First Class, Unlimited Mirage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Asgard
    Posts
    4,412
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    And with it, it is a warmed-over crappy generic LOTR that has delusions of Buck Rogers


    Must ... resist ... making joke.

  17. #292
    Co-Creator of the NV
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,697
    Quote Originally Posted by Vega View Post
    Heh, sounds unique to me doesnt it?
    haha, i can't argue with that. It does sound unique. Pluto Nash was also unique

  18. #293
    First Class, Unlimited Mirage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Asgard
    Posts
    4,412
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    haha, i can't argue with that. It does sound unique. Pluto Nash was also unique

    Oh, no ... don't even GO there!

  19. #294
    Master of Disco Vega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    haha, i can't argue with that. It does sound unique. Pluto Nash was also unique
    Trust me, Marlena's dissapearence from a NASA space station could very easily be made into one of the most dramatic and serious parts of the movie...as she crys and shouts for help.....comparing the concept to pluto nash is naive don't you think?
    MOTU FANATIC 4EVER

  20. #295
    Co-Creator of the NV
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,697
    Quote Originally Posted by Vega View Post
    Trust me, Marlena's dissapearence from a NASA space station could very easily be made into one of the most dramatic and serious parts of the movie...as she crys and shouts for help.....comparing the concept to pluto nash is naive don't you think?
    Not at all. Pluto Nash was a terrible idea, Marlena being from Earth is a terrible idea, so where it matters, they are similar. You're worried about it being an LOTR ripoff, I am more concerned about it being a Narnia ripoff.

    Person somehow finds themselves far away from home in a mystical, magical place. Been done in Narnia, before that, Alice found herself in Wonderland and Dorothy found herself in the Land of Oz. Actually, I dunno if those two were before or not... but they seem older to me.

  21. #296
    First Class, Unlimited Mirage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Asgard
    Posts
    4,412
    Quote Originally Posted by Vega View Post
    Trust me, Marlena's dissapearence from a NASA space station could very easily be made into one of the most dramatic and serious parts of the movie...as she crys and shouts for help
    I think you mean space SHUTTLE.

    I've never known a space station to go anywhere.




    Let's not feed Darth now.


    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    Not at all. Pluto Nash was a terrible idea, Marlena being from Earth is a terrible idea, so where it matters, they are similar. You're worried about it being an LOTR ripoff, I am more concerned about it being a Narnia ripoff.

    Person somehow finds themselves far away from home in a mystical, magical place. Been done in Narnia, before that, Alice found herself in Wonderland and Dorothy found herself in the Land of Oz. Actually, I dunno if those two were before or not... but they seem older to me.

    That plotline is as about as old as the hills ("Gulliver's Travels", anyone? How about "Alice in Wonderland?")


    As they say, "It ain't what you do, it's the way that you do it."
    Last edited by Mirage; July 25, 2007 at 09:21pm.

  22. #297
    Co-Creator of the NV
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,697
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    I think you mean space SHUTTLE.

    That plotline is as about as old as the hills ("Gulliver's Travels", anyone? How about "Alice in Wonderland?")
    I agree. Which is what MOTU is turned into if she's from Earth. Just another poor girl who gets stuck on another world.

  23. #298
    First Class, Unlimited Mirage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Asgard
    Posts
    4,412
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    I agree. Which is what MOTU is turned into if she's from Earth. Just another poor girl who gets stuck on another world.

    A strong, intelligent, forthright space explorer? I'd hardly call her just ANY poor girl.


    It would provide insight into Adam's and Adora's characters. It would also lend Adam and Adora -- out of ALL the people of Eternia -- some justification for being He-Man and She-ra (A fulfillment of a prophecy, perhaps?)
    Last edited by Mirage; July 25, 2007 at 09:25pm.

  24. #299
    Mistress of the Whip! Divia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    19,774
    I dont think having their mom from earth makes em special. Besides, sometimes that whole your father was a great warrior and now you shall be too, is a bit tiresome.
    Obey the whip!

    Smile like you mean it.

  25. #300
    Heroic Warrior corytheguitarhero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    968
    The 80s he man movie sucked.. no offense wanted to be given, but that's just my opinion.. It was just as crappy as the NA He man.. it wasn't he man.. Keep He Man away from earth.. He Man isn't from earth.. Maybe the Marlena link could be described but still .. Eek.. It shouldn't be a repeat of the 80s movie..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •