View Poll Results: Should the New He-Man film have ANY connection to Earth?

Voters
335. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    48 14.33%
  • No.

    245 73.13%
  • Maybe, on the fence...

    31 9.25%
  • Don't really mind either way.

    11 3.28%
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 386

Thread: Should the New He-Man film have ANY Connection to Earth?

  1. #51
    Heroic Warrior gbagok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    6,809
    You know, a movie that just dealt with Marlena's story could be epic in and of itself. She's a space explorer and pilot who crash lands on an alien world, falls in love and marries the planet's king, whose brother may or may not be an evil sorcerer who tries to overthrow him. She has twins, one of whom is abducted by alien invaders, and her son goes on to become a superhero in a fight with that evil uncle, and all the while she maybe sorta knows it's her son that is the savior of the universe but has to hide it...I think that's operatic actually.

    I think even if they are going to use details from the classic mythologies (and not just make their own, which I think is most likely), stuff like Marlena's backstory would be too much and just confuse the mainstream audiences. It would probably be pushing it to even say she came from another world. Don't get me wrong, I like it, I hated that it wasn't used in the MYP show (because as a TV show it had more freedom to reveal stuff like that without it being overwhelming). But if you wanted to reveal something like that, better to leave it for a sequel than to cram it into a movie that is "re"-introducing these characters to audiences.

  2. #52
    Heroic Warrior Canadian_He-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Posts
    2,467
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I'd be all for it starting out on Earth with Marlena, with her in a futuristic space program.
    Then it quickly puts her into a mission and gets her lost on Eternia.

    I dunno. I just think for a movie like that, some sort of earth connection would be good.
    And that's a connection that's not excessive.
    It just serves as a gateway into the movie, and helps anchor us around a character to introduce us to others.

    Sure, Marlena being a focus wouldn't be great.
    But it could work if they do it right, and never make Marlena our primary focus to start with.

    I'm just free-thinking out loud at this point...
    I completely agree, actually.

    One of the things that the Transformers movie did well was to draw the non-Transformer fan (or casual Transformer fan) in by having a big part of the set-up to the movie being a guy who was going to purchase his first car.

    Having a connection like that really helps I think.

    I think that a good way to kick off a MotU movie would be to have a 10 minute bit of seeing Marlena getting into a space shuttle (maybe some shots of the "NASA" symbol), and chit-chatting with her friends, and then being dragged into some sort of wormhole, crashing on Eternia, meeting King Randor...

    I'd then fast forward the movie ahead about 20 years, and aside from a couple of slight references to Earth made by Marlena, I'd leave it aside for the rest of the movie.

    I find that the "human from Earth goes to a strange, mysterious world" is a story premise that never gets old, and actually can fit very well with high epic fantasy.
    "I'm not just crying for Hordak. I'm crying for the saddest thing I know - a wasted life. To be given that most precious gift - the gift of living, to do with as we choose. I'm crying, because this man has chosen to throw it away, and when he goes, nobody will care..." - She-Ra ( "My Friend, My Enemy")

  3. #53
    Council Elder Tallstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    In support of Joe Amato & the Meteorbs
    Posts
    27,519
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian_He-Man View Post
    I think that a good way to kick off a MotU movie would be to have a 10 minute bit of seeing Marlena getting into a space shuttle (maybe some shots of the "NASA" symbol), and chit-chatting with her friends, and then being dragged into some sort of wormhole, crashing on Eternia, meeting King Randor...

    I'd then fast forward the movie ahead about 20 years, and aside from a couple of slight references to Earth made by Marlena, I'd leave it aside for the rest of the movie.
    They could end that scene with the sound of 2 babies crying....cut to Prince Adam in combat training.

  4. #54
    First Class, Unlimited Mirage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Asgard
    Posts
    4,412
    ^ That's a great idea!

  5. #55
    Heroic Warrior Canadian_He-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Posts
    2,467
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    They could end that scene with the sound of 2 babies crying....cut to Prince Adam in combat training.
    That would be neat! Also, and though I know it won't happen, I'd love to see a Masters of the Universe movie including She-Ra.

    A scene like that could act as good foreshadowing of She-Ra later showing up in the film.
    "I'm not just crying for Hordak. I'm crying for the saddest thing I know - a wasted life. To be given that most precious gift - the gift of living, to do with as we choose. I'm crying, because this man has chosen to throw it away, and when he goes, nobody will care..." - She-Ra ( "My Friend, My Enemy")

  6. #56
    First Class, Unlimited Mirage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Asgard
    Posts
    4,412
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian_He-Man View Post
    A scene like that could act as good foreshadowing of She-Ra later showing up in the film.

    Let's leave Adora out for now. Establishing He-Man is going to be tough enough without having to drag her into the picture as well.


    I'd save She-Ra for a sequel (Spin-off, perhaps? )





    She's supposed to be Adam's LOST sister, remember?
    Last edited by Mirage; July 8, 2007 at 04:42pm.

  7. #57
    Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    4,750
    That sounds like a really good idea, maybe a bit-Luke and Leia-ish,but still good, a nice way to start the movie.

  8. #58
    Sorcerer of Zalesia bcrduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    9,819
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I'd be all for it starting out on Earth with Marlena, with her in a futuristic space program.
    Then it quickly puts her into a mission and gets her lost on Eternia.

    that's actually an AWESOME way to start a new movie... it could be a flashback of Marlena's... and then it's interrupted by Adam yelling, "MOM!" or something like that...

    and you would know she was from Earth, but you wouldn't necessarily know the in-between... which could leave a lot of fill-in-the-blank story-telling to do.
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Imp, Filmation Hordak, Sweet Bee, Arrow, NA She-Ra, Spinnerella, Mermista, Gwildor, Tung Lasher, Ninjor, Lizard Man, Dragstor, Huntara, ... and all the other POP & NA characters.

  9. #59
    Heroic Evil Warrior! Neutro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    LB, Cali-ternia
    Posts
    3,543
    Agreed! I can see it too. And I think "hints" are the best way to go in regards to Marlena's and Adora's origins, the focus should be on He-Man and Skeletor.
    – No comment.

  10. #60
    Heroic Warrior kolobosrexx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Last House on the Left, Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    321
    Heck No! The Earth connection was silly to begin with. It really meant nothing in the course of the series, aside from the fact that Marlena was a toughie herself. (which MYP established without the Earth connection!) And the GAWD-AWFUL idea that Beastman, Evil-Lyn & Tri-Klops were from Earth as well was ONLY used in the series bible, it never made it into the ACTUAL series, same with "Infinta". The closest it came were the lookalike astronaut characters in the Christmas-Special flashback! BUt again, IT NEVER WAS ACTUALLY STATED ON THE SHOW. This is why I prefer the MYP show over Filmations', simply for the fact that they stay truer to the original minis & DC comics, while employing a few choice aspects from the Filmation show (Marzo, Evilseed), and creating an actual mythology & backstory.

  11. #61
    First Class, Unlimited Mirage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Asgard
    Posts
    4,412
    Quote Originally Posted by kolobosrexx View Post
    Heck No! The Earth connection was silly to begin with. It really meant nothing in the course of the series, aside from the fact that Marlena was a toughie herself. (which MYP established without the Earth connection!)


    It established her as a toughie ... but it stripped the "universe" aspect from the show!

  12. #62
    Heroic Warrior kolobosrexx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Last House on the Left, Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    321
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    It established her as a toughie ... but it stripped the "universe" aspect from the show!
    ...I would bet that we would have gotten more of that had the show continued, maybe? I know JVS3 & Co. wanted to work in He-Ro, and even the "New Adventures" stuff... Speaking of which, how does anyone reconcile all that? The toyline had Greyskull being destroyed, He-Man stuck as He-Man, Skeletor as a cyborg, and "Starship Eternia" carrying Greyskull's power... The "New Adventures" show TOTALLY ignored all that...

  13. #63
    Slave Girl for MOTUC! Jean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    2,263
    Yes, I've always liked the Earth connection.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

    Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Eldor, Spinnerella, Mermista, Peekablue, Crita, Lizorr, Tyrantisaurus Rex, Battle Ram, Great Black Wizard.
    Most Wanted for Filmation Sub: Madame Razz with Broom, Lord Masque, Ileena, Granita, General Sunder.

    No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

    A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

  14. #64
    Co-Creator of the NV
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,645
    I totally agree with kolobosrexx in thinking that the Earth idea is a silly concept that would weaken the movie. It totally reeks of the bs that happens at music concerts. Like where they say, "we all know the best fans in the world are in Tucson Az" and then the crowd defecates themselves because they are in Tucson.

  15. #65
    The babe with The Power Slackbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
    Posts
    1,988
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    It established her as a toughie ... but it stripped the "universe" aspect from the show!
    Well, when it comes to that, how can they call themselves the "Masters of the Universe" when it takes all their power to fight a holding battle against the baddies on a single planet?

    Just mentioning another planet doesn't make them the masters of it. The MYP show mentioned Trolla, but I don't think the Masters ever went there to spread their domination. So, why should merely mentioning Earth make these guys the masters of the entire frickin' universe?
    Castle Numbskull
    Masters of The Universe stuff you won't find anywhere else.
    Thank goodness.

  16. #66
    Co-Creator of the NV
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,645
    Quote Originally Posted by Slackbot View Post
    Well, when it comes to that, how can they call themselves the "Masters of the Universe" when it takes all their power to fight a holding battle against the baddies on a single planet?

    Just mentioning another planet doesn't make them the masters of it. The MYP show mentioned Trolla, but I don't think the Masters ever went there to spread their domination. So, why should merely mentioning Earth make these guys the masters of the entire frickin' universe?
    Also, with that in mind, why would including the Earth make the name that much more fitting in regards to part of the title that refers to the "Universe". There are ample opportunities to bring in other planets, such as Etheria and Trolla, so why is Earth needed?

  17. #67
    First Class, Unlimited Mirage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Asgard
    Posts
    4,412
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    Also, with that in mind, why would including the Earth make the name that much more fitting in regards to part of the title that refers to the "Universe". There are ample opportunities to bring in other planets, such as Etheria and Trolla, so why is Earth needed?



    Why can't we include ALL of them?


    Etheria, Trolla ... AND Earth?





    It would be one thing to SET the film on Earth (Bad move there, Cannon. )

    At the same time, eliminating all references to Earth altogether seems to me ... unreasonable.
    Last edited by Mirage; July 9, 2007 at 12:20am.

  18. #68
    Heroic Warrior kolobosrexx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Last House on the Left, Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    321
    ...Earth just kind of dilutes the otherworldly fanatsy aspects some... That said, if He-Man ends up being a soldier from Earth or something, I'd live with it... Just give me new MOTU figures, dangit!!

  19. #69
    Lumpy Space Person Brad2dbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    5,608
    The biggest problem with starting the movie with Marlena's space mission is that it makes the focus about Marlena, and to suddenly shift the focus to Adam/He-man would be strange and confusing to non-fans.

    There's no need for Earth. Earth serves no purpose. It's not more "realistic", because there's nothing remotely realistic about MotU, and attempts to make it more realistic only serve to weaken the story, and make it cheap. Really the only reason for Earth to exist is because people are nostalgic about Marlena's origin in the Filmation cartoon. Nostalgia, and good story telling don't always make good partners though.

    And the whole argument about it being called Masters of the Universe, therefore it should include the universe is a little rediculous, because there's no Eternia in our universe, so Earth doesn't need to be in Eternia's universe. Also, the name of Masters of the Universe has never had anything to do with anything in the MotU mythology. They've never even been Masters of Eternia, let alone the universe. They're nothing more than defenders of Eternia. The MYP cartoon tried to make better use of the name, and I thought it was rediculous. The name seems to be something that it's creators came up with because it sounds cool, not because it makes any sense.

  20. #70
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    115

    An Earthly Tie-In?

    I can envision a MOTU film starting out with a young Marlena Glenn as the sole survivor of an accident in which the space shuttle she is piloting gets drawn into a wormhole and forced to land on Eternia. That's where (IMHO) the Earth connection should end. I know that might seem grittier than one would expect from a film inspired by a "children's" show, but if a new live-action film were going to be made, the writers would do well to increase the emotional tension to draw the viewers more fully into the story.

    I saw the first live-action MOTU film at the show when it was originally released. Although Dolph Lundgren made a believable He-Man (everyone in the picture business back in the 80s seemed to have a fetish for musclemen with European accents), that was one of the few assets the film could claim. Part of why it flopped so badly was because most of the story was set on Earth instead of Eternia, which is of course where one would expect to see He-Man and Company slugging it out against Skeletor and his cronies.

  21. #71
    Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Monroe, LA
    Posts
    5,582
    The main problem any MOTU film would have would not be a connection to Earth, IMO. The main problem it would have would be including all the stuff that "everybody" recognizes as part of MOTU without being hugely over-budget or so cartoon-like that adults wouldn't like it.

    Next to, say, how they might Orko work in a live-action movie, Marlena's Terran origin would be a small deal. Sure, CGI could handle Orko's physical appearance, but if they changed the character to make him less "cartoony" he just wouldn't be Orko and his fans wouldn't like it. At the same time, making him "cartoony" would automatically make other people not like it.

  22. #72
    First Class, Unlimited Mirage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Asgard
    Posts
    4,412
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad2dbone View Post
    The biggest problem with starting the movie with Marlena's space mission is that it makes the focus about Marlena, and to suddenly shift the focus to Adam/He-man would be strange and confusing to non-fans.

    MOTU is supposed to be an EPIC. Must every single SECOND of screentime be devoted to He-Man?


    There IS such a thing as "backstory" and "setting the scene." Like it or not, Marlena is a part of Adam's history. She's a part of what makes him tick.


    There's no need for Earth. Earth serves no purpose. It's not more "realistic", because there's nothing remotely realistic about MotU, and attempts to make it more realistic only serve to weaken the story, and make it cheap. Really the only reason for Earth to exist is because people are nostalgic about Marlena's origin in the Filmation cartoon.

    And the fact that it's what most people remember.


    You're going to NEED a certain amount of nostalgia in order to sell the picture (Why else would Peter Cullen have been brought back as Optimus Prime?)



    And the whole argument about it being called Masters of the Universe, therefore it should include the universe is a little rediculous, because there's no Eternia in our universe so Earth doesn't need to be in Eternia's universe.

    The same could be said for Vulcan or Ferenginar.


    That hasn't stopped Star Trek from including Earth in ITS franchise.
    Last edited by Mirage; July 9, 2007 at 12:55pm.

  23. #73
    Heroic Evil Warrior! Neutro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    LB, Cali-ternia
    Posts
    3,543
    In regards to "Masters of the Universe" and what that means, the way I read it is that all the Masters are not necessarily the most powerful beings of the entire Universe, but rather they are simply Masters at what they do, and are one of so many other Masters within the Universe.

    Other "Masters" of the "Universe" would also include Superman and Wonder Woman just the same as Mossman and Clawful, as long as they're "good at what they do, and have committed to fighting for either Good or Evil, then they deserve the title of Master of the Universe. Just think about it, if there is something that YOU do well enough and are committed to use that ability to fight the forces of Good, or Evil, you could be a Master of the Universe too!

    That's just how I always read the title anyway.
    – No comment.

  24. #74
    Grew up on a horse Baena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    9,700
    I voted no.

    I don't want them to have ANY excuse to come back to earth in any way.
    And while this movie, IF MADE, might not happen on earth, I wouldn't want them to come back to earth IF A SECOND movie were to be made.

    That was my biggest problem with the 87 movie, we really don't need to go to earth ever again.

    That's my opinion. I understand there are a bunch who would love to see a nod there for Marlena or even the Christmas special.

    For me? If they're gonna do that route, it's already been done with Flash Gordon. (Mind you I love Flash Gordon, just not for He-Man.)

    Let He-Man be He-Man.
    Not Superman with some secret identity.
    Not Flash Gordon as a space traveler from Earth to a new world.
    Let He-Man be He-Man.

    And for all you guys that think if we don't want earth we don't want other planets, you're wrong. I'd love to see Eternia, Etheria, Despondos, Infinitia, heck I might even forgive a trip to Trolla, I'd take a trip to Trolla before there was an Earth Reference.

    George Lucas got away with his universe happening without any references to Earth... I'm sure MotU could undergo the same treatment to make the mythos of MotU feel like it's happening in the universe. Because it is true, these are MASTERS of the UNIVERSE after all.
    Last edited by Baena; July 9, 2007 at 01:07pm.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

  25. #75
    Council Elder Tallstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    In support of Joe Amato & the Meteorbs
    Posts
    27,519
    Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    I'd love to see Eternia, Etheria, Despondos, Infinitia, heck I might even forgive a trip to Trolla, I'd take a trip to Trolla before there was an Earth Reference.
    I might have a heart attack if Etheria was shown in a sequel.

    My dream is to see Adora on the big screen going up against her family with The Horde. Can you imagine how badass that would be!?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •