View Poll Results: Should the New He-Man film have ANY connection to Earth?

Voters
335. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    48 14.33%
  • No.

    245 73.13%
  • Maybe, on the fence...

    31 9.25%
  • Don't really mind either way.

    11 3.28%
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 386

Thread: Should the New He-Man film have ANY Connection to Earth?

  1. #76
    Grew up on a horse Baena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    9,700
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I might have a heart attack if Etheria was shown in a sequel.

    My dream is to see Adora on the big screen going up against her family with The Horde. Can you imagine how badass that would be!?
    I'm with ya there Tally, that would be incredible.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

  2. #77
    Assimilate, or else!! krosfyah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Under an iron fist
    Posts
    17,802
    I'm fine with either way. so long asa Earth isn't ANY kind of focal point (if mentioned) and Marlena isn't set decoration like MYP - she doesn't have to be a major force but if she's in the movie give her some sort of warmth and importance.

    Baena has an EXCELLENT point about the Star Wars universe though.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

    I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

    Fear is faith in failure

  3. #78
    First Class, Unlimited Mirage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Asgard
    Posts
    4,412
    Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    George Lucas got away with his universe happening without any references to Earth... I'm sure MotU could undergo the same treatment to make the mythos of MotU feel like it's happening in the universe.

    George Lucas can get away with it because Earth isn't part of the SW canon.

  4. #79
    Co-Creator of the NV
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,645
    I also agree with those who basically think that the name Masters of the Universe is meaningless.

    As for Mirage's question about why it could not include Earth as well, my reason for suggesting trolla and etheria was to placate the people who put such a strong emphasis on the word "universe" in motu. I actually don't place any importance in the name and would be happy if no other planets were mentioned, at least not unless they work in a she-ra spinoff.

    The reason I am against making marlena from earth is because it was a stupid idea 25 yrs ago and is just as stupid today, but the difference is that today it would get totally derided and based by all critics, non-MOTU fans and apparently a good handful of MOTU fans.

    I disagree with those who don't want earth to be mentioned because of the focus it places on marlena, because I have no problem with getting backstory on secondary characters, and i tend to actually like it. That being said, i don't want the time that is spent on her to be used as a reason for people to make fun of MOTU and kill reviews of the movie. So while I wouldn't mind hearing marlena's story, I just don't want it to have anything to do with earth.

  5. #80
    Mistress of the Whip! Divia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    19,712
    Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    I voted no.

    I don't want them to have ANY excuse to come back to earth in any way.
    And while this movie, IF MADE, might not happen on earth, I wouldn't want them to come back to earth IF A SECOND movie were to be made.

    That was my biggest problem with the 87 movie, we really don't need to go to earth ever again.

    That's my opinion. I understand there are a bunch who would love to see a nod there for Marlena or even the Christmas special.

    For me? If they're gonna do that route, it's already been done with Flash Gordon. (Mind you I love Flash Gordon, just not for He-Man.)

    Let He-Man be He-Man.
    Not Superman with some secret identity.
    Not Flash Gordon as a space traveler from Earth to a new world.
    Let He-Man be He-Man.

    And for all you guys that think if we don't want earth we don't want other planets, you're wrong. I'd love to see Eternia, Etheria, Despondos, Infinitia, heck I might even forgive a trip to Trolla, I'd take a trip to Trolla before there was an Earth Reference.

    George Lucas got away with his universe happening without any references to Earth... I'm sure MotU could undergo the same treatment to make the mythos of MotU feel like it's happening in the universe. Because it is true, these are MASTERS of the UNIVERSE after all.



    Brilliantly said. I cannot argue with a single thing you state
    Obey the whip!

    Smile like you mean it.

  6. #81
    Lycan
    Havoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    15,952
    I'd like to see Marlena being refered to as coming from Earth, but I wouldn't want to see more than 30 seconds of footage set on Earth
    What next? It seems every month lately there is something..

  7. #82
    Council Elder Tallstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    In support of Joe Amato & the Meteorbs
    Posts
    27,529
    Oh man!

    But 30 seconds isn't long enough to find out what Miguel and Alisha have been up to!

  8. #83
    Lycan
    Havoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    15,952
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Oh man!

    But 30 seconds isn't long enough to find out what Miguel and Alisha have been up to!
    They can't be in it. They're copywrited.. Copywrited!! *shakes fist*
    Don't mention them again
    What next? It seems every month lately there is something..

  9. #84
    First Class, Unlimited Mirage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Asgard
    Posts
    4,412
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    I disagree with those who don't want earth to be mentioned because of the focus it places on marlena, because I have no problem with getting backstory on secondary characters, and i tend to actually like it. That being said, i don't want the time that is spent on her to be used as a reason for people to make fun of MOTU and kill reviews of the movie.

    I REALLY think you're exaggerating ...





    It's going to take MUCH more than a two-minute sequence (if THAT) to kill an entire 120-minute movie.


    Terrible tends to go clear to the bone (cf., "Catwoman", "Batman and Robin", "Steel", etc.)




    So while I wouldn't mind hearing marlena's story, I just don't want it to have anything to do with earth.


    So what's the alternative? Make her some alien warrior princess?



    Been there, done that ... Yawn.
    Last edited by Mirage; July 9, 2007 at 02:44pm.

  10. #85
    Mistress of the Whip! Divia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    19,712
    lets not confuse the audience with sticking some fly by mention of "oh and Marlena was from earth...and skeletor is attacking!!!"

    It doestn add anything to the story than to give a nod to us hardcore fans, and frankly I think that can be done in other ways. Remember, we want this story to have MASS appeal and I do agree that I think He-man needs to have his own universe. We dont need the ties to earth. That just confuses things and adds stuff that doesnt need to be added.
    Obey the whip!

    Smile like you mean it.

  11. #86
    Co-Creator of the NV
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,645
    Oh, it won't destroy the whole movie. But it will be something that a lot of people gripe about.

    As for the alternative, I don't really care as long as the idea isn't utterly asinine. I don't really see any particular reason why they would focus on her, but like I said, I don't mind if they do as long as it isn't done in a totally diculous manner, such as having her come from Earth. I really don't care too much about what her backstory is as long as it is not totally idiotic. For instance, if they decided to do a backstory where she was born as a squirrel and then turned into a trout by an evil wizard that is eventually made love to by Merman, leading her to swim into a magical underwater cavern where she transforms into a woman, I would be pretty disgusted and annoyed because that idea is really, really stupid. Same with her coming from Earth (admittedly the Earth idea is a little less stupid).

    Incidentally, I wouldn't make her an alien warrior princess. Sure the idea isn't as stupid as an alien astronaut, but I prefer her to be Eternian.

    If we are going to do background stuff on one of the parents at all, I would prefer it to be on Randor and maybe Man-At-Arms. Possibly something similar to what was seen at the beginning of the MYP series.

  12. #87
    First Class, Unlimited Mirage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Asgard
    Posts
    4,412
    I'd just hate to see MOTU become a generic space opera.


    I don't want it becoming LOTR-meets-Star-Wars.

  13. #88
    Grew up on a horse Baena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    9,700
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    George Lucas can get away with it because Earth isn't part of the SW canon.
    You're really hanging your hat on that, and I'll agree that it is cannon.
    Filmation cannon.
    Go with MYP and you get another cannon, may I remind you it's the latest MotU cannon.

    Mattel has to approve the script.
    Mattel worked closely with MYP for the new toon.
    They took Cringer's and Battlecat's voice away, and Marlena was NOT from Earth so...
    If that's any indication, it should be that ANYTHING could happen with the movie.

    I know you don't want MotU to become LotR meets Star Wars. I don't either.

    I want MotU to be MotU.
    I want He-Man to be He-Man.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

  14. #89
    Master Of Vocals Mye-Kah B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    1,723
    I vote yes because I thinks its stupid how MYP took Space and the Marlena Earth origin out of the story.
    I also think Battlecat/Cringer should talk.

  15. #90
    Co-Creator of the NV
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,645
    Baena brings up a good point about there being different cannons. The newest cannon didn't have Marlena being from Earth. The earliest cannon, the minicomics, didn't have her from it either.

    But after thinking about it carefully, I think that there should be at least one connection between the movie on Earth. That connection is that the movie should be in theatres on Earth

  16. #91
    Mistress of the Whip! Divia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    19,712
    Oh goddess no!!!!!!!!

    Do you know how cheesy it would be if Cringer/battlecat talked!!!!! Its bad enough we have to get by the whole gay stigma(not saying being gay is bad, but this could potentinally keep away people who are too manly to see a gay character) There is alot o fcheese in MOTU. We have to get rid of it, or tone it downa little if we want a good product.

    And frankly if MOTU can become an epic like SW or LOTR...the problem with that is...what?
    Obey the whip!

    Smile like you mean it.

  17. #92
    Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    4,758
    Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    Oh goddess no!!!!!!!!

    Do you know how cheesy it would be if Cringer/battlecat talked!!!!! Its bad enough we have to get by the whole gay stigma(not saying being gay is bad, but this could potentinally keep away people who are too manly to see a gay character) There is alot o fcheese in MOTU. We have to get rid of it, or tone it downa little if we want a good product.

    And frankly if MOTU can become an epic like SW or LOTR...the problem with that is...what?
    I agree, if the producer's MUST have them talk, only let Battle Cat talk once his transformed, and not Cringer!!!

  18. #93
    Grew up on a horse Baena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    9,700
    Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    And frankly if MOTU can become an epic like SW or LOTR...the problem with that is...what?
    Precisely. Well said my good lady, well said.

    Besides, there's nothing generic about LotR or Star Wars, they are both leads in their given fields.
    If they seem generic, it's only because everyone else copies them.

    I believe MotU can stand on it's own from them, and that it still can do that without any Earth connections.

    I too like Val's idea there for an intro for a movie. It could work that way sure, but it's not the only way that would work. There are many ideas for starting a movie off and get the audience hooked.
    Last edited by Baena; July 9, 2007 at 03:32pm.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

  19. #94
    Co-Creator of the NV
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,645
    Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    Oh goddess no!!!!!!!!

    Do you know how cheesy it would be if Cringer/battlecat talked!!!!! Its bad enough we have to get by the whole gay stigma(not saying being gay is bad, but this could potentinally keep away people who are too manly to see a gay character) There is alot o fcheese in MOTU. We have to get rid of it, or tone it downa little if we want a good product.

    And frankly if MOTU can become an epic like SW or LOTR...the problem with that is...what?

    I think that what some of them want is to take the filmation cartoon, turn it into real people instead of bad animation and then smile gleefully when everyone on the planet agrees that it was perfect to begin with and shoudn't have been changed. Sadly, I have a feeling that the only people who would like it are really hardcore older fans and some little children.

    I don't really want Cringer of BC to talk either. It would likely look pretty silly, although I suppose it can be done right (as was seen in Narnia). That being said, I agree that the cheesiness of the original series needs to be cut out. Which pretty much rules out talking animals *unless done just right*, Orko *unless completely revamped, which i would like* and Marlena coming from Earth.

  20. #95
    Grew up on a horse Baena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    9,700
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    I think that what some of them want is to take the filmation cartoon, turn it into real people instead of bad animation and then smile gleefully when everyone on the planet agrees that it was perfect to begin with and shoudn't have been changed. Sadly, I have a feeling that the only people who would like it are really hardcore older fans and some little children.

    I don't really want Cringer of BC to talk either. It would likely look pretty silly, although I suppose it can be done right (as was seen in Narnia). That being said, I agree that the cheesiness of the original series needs to be cut out. Which pretty much rules out talking animals *unless done just right*, Orko *unless completely revamped, which i would like* and Marlena coming from Earth.
    Psssssssst! Don't forget the PINK PRINCE wearing PURPLE TIGHTS.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

  21. #96
    Co-Creator of the NV
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,645
    Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    Psssssssst! Don't forget the PINK PRINCE wearing PURPLE TIGHTS.
    I will have you know that I worked damn hard to forget that!! Thanks for reminding me

  22. #97
    Lumpy Space Person Brad2dbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    5,608
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    MOTU is supposed to be an EPIC. Must every single SECOND of screentime be devoted to He-Man?
    You can tell Marlena's backstory all day for I care, but if the movie starts with her mission to space that makes her the star of the movie. The movie would have to be about Marlena, and her adventures on Eternia, and how she helps He-man save the day. She would be the Sam Witwickey of the story. Sorry, I just don't want Marlena to be the star. And to start the movie with her, and then ditch her to focus on Adam would be poor film making.

    As far as every second being devoted to He-man . Is He-man not the star of the story? Do you have a suggestion for a better star? Maybe you would prefer it if the story was about Mekaneck, and He-man never showed up? Did I ever say that He-man should never leave the screen?

    You're going to NEED a certain amount of nostalgia in order to sell the picture
    So a movie with He-man and pals, fighting to protect Grayskull, and Eternia from Skeletor and his crew of baddies won't have any nostalgic factor without Earth? I see my argument has clearly been defeated.


    This is way too much effort to argue about a silly little detail in a movie that, for all we know, will probably never even be made.

  23. #98
    Grew up on a horse Baena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    9,700
    @ Orko's Magic Hat: My hat's off to you friend.

    Though we may disagree on things, you are expressing yourself and views on this matter very well. Giving good points to consider being in favor of a nod to Earth or Talking green tigers.

    Again, though I don't want those things in a MotU movie, you are a voice of reason I believe in these parts.

    Especially putting up with opinionated jerks like me.

    It's easy for us to swing hard to our sides and defend them, where I see that you are one that is keeping open minded about things.

    I don't know why I felt the need to express that, but I did, and there it is.
    Thanks O'sMH.

    EDIT: @Brad2dbone: Nicely put bro... nicely put indeed.
    Last edited by Baena; July 9, 2007 at 03:48pm.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

  24. #99
    First Class, Unlimited Mirage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Asgard
    Posts
    4,412
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    I don't really want Cringer of BC to talk either. It would likely look pretty silly, although I suppose it can be done right (as was seen in Narnia). That being said, I agree that the cheesiness of the original series needs to be cut out. Which pretty much rules out talking animals *unless done just right*, Orko *unless completely revamped, which i would like* and Marlena coming from Earth.

    You want what you cannot have: a revival of MYP.



    Filmation has never had a proper live-action adaptation. You want people like me -- people who've followed the show since we were kids in the 80's -- to chuck twenty-five years of history in the name of doing away with so-called "cheesiness". To me, that is a slap in the face.

    I'll admit Filmation is not perfect. There's plenty I would change about it (Adam's pink tights, The Sorceress's "HE-MAN! I'M WEAKENING!")

    At the same time, this business of completely re-writing established backstories is just too, too much. It renders MOTU into something almost un-recognizable.



    If I want to see blood and terror, I'll watch CNN.



    Quote Originally Posted by Brad2dbone View Post
    You can tell Marlena's backstory all day for I care, but if the movie starts with her mission to space that makes her the star of the movie. The movie would have to be about Marlena, and her adventures on Eternia, and how she helps He-man save the day.

    According to that reasoning, General Zod and his minions should've been the stars of Superman (The very first scene of the picture shows them being banished to the Phantom Zone. They didn't do anything until the SEQUEL! )
    Last edited by Mirage; July 9, 2007 at 04:16pm.

  25. #100
    Grew up on a horse Baena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    9,700
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    If I want to see blood and terror, I'll watch CNN.
    Who said anything about blood and terror?

    Do you really think that by taking out some camp and cheese factors you end up with blood and terror?
    You're insulting the MotU property.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •