View Poll Results: How do you rate the vintage Extendar figure? (with 10 being the best)

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 point

1 2.13%
  • 2 points

2 4.26%
  • 3 points

4 8.51%
  • 4 points

2 4.26%
  • 5 points

4 8.51%
  • 6 points

5 10.64%
  • 7 points

5 10.64%
  • 8 points

10 21.28%
  • 9 points

10 21.28%
  • 10 points

4 8.51%

Thread: Extendar vintage figure review thread

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

Extendar vintage figure review thread

A quieter thread last week, when we looked at Spydor - it just seems harder to find much to say about the vehicles somehow (even if Spydor is one of the coolest ever!).

Anyway, we haven't looked at a Heroic character for a few weeks, so this week let's turn our attentions to that extendable tower of strength, EXTENDAR.

Extendar was released as part of the fifth wave. There were several varying origin back-stories given to him, but the most common one, as used in the UK Marvel comics and late annuals, was that he was part of a series of terrible experiments conducted by Hordak to merge man with machine, whose other victims included Dragstor and that lamest (IMO!) of MOTU figures, Snout Spout. Extendar and Snout Spout turned good, whereas Dragstor remained evil. Some versions also mentioned them to be athletes before Hordak subjected them to his diabolical experiments.

Extendar is a shiny figure, with silvery/pearl-like armor and gold features. His neck, arms, waist and legs can all be pulled to extend him to a much greater height.

Although I still collected the toy-line when the fifth wave was released here in the U.K., I generally filled in the holes in my collection from earlier waves, preferring them to these new rather gimmicky figures - and Extendar is a prime example of that feeling. He just never did anything for me. Very little character seemed to be given to him, and I just couldn't take to him for some reason.
    I think if he had maybe been a figure of a newly released toy-line, I might have liked him a little bit better, but from Masters of the Universe, which had offered us some truly wonderful characters and toys, he just didn't measure up in comparison.
    And while I love the whole man-machine-cyborg concept, things like this guy and Snout Spout were a little too far removed from the original swords & sorcery roots of the line for my personal taste.

The figure was one of the very first that I got when I started re-collecting the line seriously, getting it amongst a lot that I won on e-bay. The figure's extendable shield, though, was one of the very last pieces that I needed for my complete collection, and I still need one for my secondary collection, but just don't really care for the character enough to loose much sleep over it.

Extendar was released too late to appear in the Filmation cartoon series, and unlike several other from his wave (Snout Spout, Tung Lashor, Rattlor), was not transplanted into the 'She-Ra: Princess of Power' cartoon either.

Likewise, he was not part of the 200x revamp line or Mike Young Productions cartoon series. I for one can't say I particularly cared (although maybe the Four Horsemen would have pulled something out of the hat and given him a good makeover, as they've done to several other characters that were rather so-so originally).

Not much else to say on this extendable dude really. I expect others will like him much more, but to me, he just kind of comes across as one big towering gimmick, with very little in the way of real character. Maybe I'm a bit mean, but I can only muster a 4 out of 10 for him.

Those are my Extendar thoughts. Now I'd like to hear yours - comments, criticisms, memories... anything you like on the character.
    And whether you post your thoughts or not, don't forget to rate the figure in the poll!
    Last edited by Spacedust; July 20, 2007 at 04:38pm.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

This is probley one of the only figures, we don't see eye to eye on. I allways liked Extendar, he was like a fully armoured heroic warrior. who gained aditional powers from Hordak.

allways thought it was kinda silly that both his hands where opened. so he couldint throw a punch, but slap you. have to be a pretty powerfull warrior. if you think you can slap all your enemies around lol. I used to make him inmune to lasers.

and was the only heroic warrior who had totall inmunity. to Stinkors smell, because of his armour. that had an internal rebreather, his power to grow and gain aditional power. in doing so was cool, altho I will admit his unextended form felt more solid. I used to use his growth power more as a way to reach things. if he needed to other than a way to fight evil warriors. so ill give Extendar a 9.

Heroic Warrior

I like extendar

YEah I am going to disagree on this one as well, I gave him an 8. I always thought the extending thing was sort of building on the Transformer craze, not shamelessly copying it like the stone warriors. The shield was cool, and I alwyas thought his face was interesting. I will agree with you though, snout spout, lamest of the lame! Which I still insist for me is Stinkor. I would not throw Extendar in that crowd though...

adam

I'm somewhat in the middle... I've always thought that Extendar was okay, but a little plain beyond his action feature.

I gave him a 5
    Faker: Evil Robotic He-Man Imposter!

Court Magician
    "His neck, arms, waist and legs can all be pulled to extend him to a MUCH GREATER HEIGHT."

yeah that's what i said when i got the figure, opened him, and extended him. then i was like "oh, he's like..........2.5 inches taller. i'm ten and even i find this to be a letdown." then he became a castle eternia grunt.

edit: three points because he was in fact shiny looking. almost "mother of pearl".

Widget
    I had Extendar as a kid, and I agree that even then his gimmick (and particularly the execution thereof) was just too lame. In fact I disliked everything about the figure. It just didn't feel like a MOTU toy to me.

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with a character who grows, but you can't make that work as an action figure feature.

Its only been in the last few years that I came to learn of Extendar as a figure. I also was'nt that keen on him but won him the other day on e-bay. I needed him along with a few others to complete my figure collection.
    I must admit I am quite excited about getting him, although I can see he's not in the same league as some of the first figures.

I allways liked him and his looks. I liked how they integrated the technology with the knights-armor. He gets a 8/10. My original figure had his arm broken off very easy, so be careful with him as the plastic is kind of brittle.

Co-Creator of the NV
    I am shocked that you ranked Extendar lower than Snout Spout, haha. Admittedly, the Snout Spout score seemed really high to me.

I got him when I was little and I never really cared much for the action feature. What I did like though was that he was a pretty decent representation of a knight in general. Like Spacedust, I always leaned towards the mythological/medieval side of MOTU, so with this character i just didn't use the features and let him be a regular knight in the service of eternia.

I'd give him a 9/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    I am shocked that you ranked Extendar lower than Snout Spout, haha. Admittedly, the Snout Spout score seemed really high to me.

I got him when I was little and I never really cared much for the action feature. What I did like though was that he was a pretty decent representation of a knight in general. Like Spacedust, I always leaned towards the mythological/medieval side of MOTU, so with this character i just didn't use the features and let him be a regular knight in the service of eternia.

I'd give him a 9/10.
    Same thing here, I liked the knight in armour aspect of the figure, but slightly funky armour, with the shine, design and big boots. Liked the way the face grid covered the face, it was different from the rest of the series in term of protective gear (usually chest armor or molded helmet).
    The extension part wan't great but not bad either, I liked the arm and legs extension as a kid; I thought it was cool in combat scene to punch, kicks and all.
    - Dr Bo.
    Man of Kitsch, Robot and Glamour. And some barbarians hero, too.

Member with whom I completed great trade and transaction: Lady Angora, Royalbliss, 10incher, Secret_defender, Bosskmr, LupaLuna, Motu2002, Buzz Saw Hordak, Malakai9999, Racer X, Igorr & Cpuwizshot.

Heroic Ruler of Nothing KidRandor's Avatar

great concept

i was excited upon finding Extendar in my adult search for MOTU figures, although when i was a kid he was not one of my faves. i appreciate the character a little more now, but back then my Webstor had a grappling hook and Squeeze could wrap all the way aroung my cat. much more entertaining.
    ::::::no animals were harmed during my childhood:::::

Quote Originally Posted by KidRandor View Post
    i was excited upon finding Extendar in my adult search for MOTU figures, although when i was a kid he was not one of my faves.
    I didn't own him as a child and only saw it in catalog, so just like you I was thrilled to put my hand on one as an adult.
    Last edited by Dr Bo; August 2, 2007 at 11:07am.
    - Dr Bo.
    Man of Kitsch, Robot and Glamour. And some barbarians hero, too.

Member with whom I completed great trade and transaction: Lady Angora, Royalbliss, 10incher, Secret_defender, Bosskmr, LupaLuna, Motu2002, Buzz Saw Hordak, Malakai9999, Racer X, Igorr & Cpuwizshot.

Simply fantastic Af! I love this! Voted 9!

Extendar is a really cool figure.
    Maybe the gimmick is a little bit disappointing.
    The gleam of the Power Sword lights your way as you enter the fantastic world of Eternia...

Extendar is another figure that I really liked! He looked like a futuristic medieval knight and his features were surprising and a lot different than the other figures. He was a massive figure and in my point of view, he was a very powerful guy.

It was a shame he couldn't use any weaponry and I never understood why his shield could open. I used him more often in his regular condition than in his 'tower'-status.

this guy along with clawful, he-man webstor,dragstor, beastman,tri-klops, and skeletor where always in my main stable. rio-blast and snout spout too! i gave him a ten, i have vivid memories of this guy snout spout and rio-blast. i got all three at the same time. my grandma bought them at a yard sale when i was 8. im 30 so around the time they came out. i had a blast with these guys. i still have them too! same ones! my extendars legs broke so i glued em back, yeah thats before i discovered he-bros fix!

REMAINING MOTUC FOR 2015 synthalus's Avatar
    Great figure! I gave him an 8.
    I find the extend feature pretty cool.
    But what I like the most about this figure is that he is a Knight.
    imo the medieval theme fits right into the s&s genre with the mixed sci-fi.
    ghosts 'n goblins anyone?
    MY MOTUC WANTS: Gwildor, Rotar, Mermista, Angella, Peekablue, Spinerella, Perfuma, Master Sebrian, Sagitar, Tuskador, Darius, Kayo, Vizar, Nocturna, Spinwit, Artilla, Saurod, Ninjor, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Twistoid, Hunga the Harpy, Dragstor, Vultak, Multi-Bot, Blast-Attak, Tung Lashor, Sssqueeeze, Lizorr, Hoove, Critta, Quakke, Butthead, Staghorn
    => MOTU-Classics-Checklist <=

I gave him a 9 . I cannot really comment . Even as a kid i never thought much about him or ever wanted him . For me the extending hero was always Mekaneck .
    MOTU and POP transformed my childhood years to gold

Heroic Warrior
    9/10, and the Classics update steals the top spot!!
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE