View Poll Results: How do you rate the vintage Multi-Bot figure? (with 10 being the best)

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 point

0 0%
  • 2 points

0 0%
  • 3 points

0 0%
  • 4 points

2 6.45%
  • 5 points

2 6.45%
  • 6 points

3 9.68%
  • 7 points

9 29.03%
  • 8 points

6 19.35%
  • 9 points

5 16.13%
  • 10 points

4 12.90%

Thread: Multi-Bot vintage figure review

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

Multi-Bot vintage figure review

I've hardly been on the forum this past week, but last week's Extendar review thread bobbed along nicely.

This week... well, we've already looked at that changeable beast Modulok, so this week let's turn our focus to his robotic off-spring, MULTI-BOT.

After the huge success of Modulok in the fourth wave, Mattel soon cashed in with a follow up in the fifth series. The result was Multi-Bot, a robotic creature with numerous pieces, that could be assembled in the same was as Modulok.

Like Modulok, Multi-Bot has two heads and multiple arms and legs, but unlike Modulok, Multi-Bot has two torsos, allowing for two separate humanoid-like figures to be constructed.

The theme of Multi-Bot is obviously robotic, mostly black with silver detailing. The parts are very chunky feeling. Personally I felt that they never made full advantage of the whole robot concept, and could have been done better.

Multi-Bot could also be combined with Modulok to construct 'Mega-Beast', although no MOTU material that I ever came across used this idea.

I have found that after all these years, my original Multi-Bot is been victim to the infamous 'sticky syndrome', and the silver detailing has gone horrible.

Multi-Bot appeared in 'She-Ra: Princess of Power', as did many other Horde members. He only had a vague resemblance to his toy version, and was portrayed as a typical bumbling villain.

There was not Multi-Bot revamp in the 200x re-launch or accompanying Mike Young Productions cartoon series. There have been some seeming prototype designs that have appeared on a couple of websites, but it has no resemblance to the vintage Multi-Bot, and either the name was a coincidence, or it was a complete revamp using name only, as was the case with the Dragon Walker. I did spot on one of these drawings a small picture of the vintage Multi-Bot's black/green head, so maybe there was a connection. Either way, there was never a released new version.

All-in-all... I like the continued Modulok concept, and how you can merge the parts with Modulok, yet at the same time I feel that it was a missed opportunity, as the robotic parts could have been much better. I love the original Modulok, but rate Multi-Bot an average 7 out of 10. Others will disagree I know!

These are my thoughts on Multi-Bot.
    Now I'd like to hear yours - comments, criticisms, memories... anything to do with the figure.
    And whether you post or not, don't forget to rate the figure in the poll!
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Heroic Warrior

multibot

Multi bit was cool because of the two torsos, it was like getting two figures for the price of... well two. He was as good as any figures coming out in that phase. it was an interesting take building on he popularity of modulok without just using a different colored plastic and calling him a heroic figure. All in all, I am somewhat nutyral on the multi bot issue, and I gave him a seven as well...

adam

Like you Spacedust, I allso like modulock much better. I have yet to recollect an old multi bot. but from what I can remember, as a kid was thinking why are they copying modulok.

and second, they gave him not one but two goofy heads. at least modulok, had one cool looking allmost demonic looking head. I can remember mix and matching parts from both figures. but not useing the multibot heads. I couldint stand how goofy looking they where. and my younger brother argreed with me when we played. so ill have to say a very undecisive 5.

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by braxsis364 View Post
    Like you Spacedust, I allso like modulock much better. I have yet to recollect an old multi bot. but from what I can remember, as a kid was thinking why are they copying modulok.
    Even the first time I saw Multi-Bot sitting on the toyshop shelf as a kid, I immediately thought "they're milking the Modulok concept!"

Quote Originally Posted by braxsis364 View Post
    and second, they gave him not one but two goofy heads. at least modulok, had one cool looking allmost demonic looking head. I can remember mix and matching parts from both figures. but not useing the multibot heads. I couldint stand how goofy looking they where. and my younger brother argreed with me when we played. so ill have to say a very undecisive 5.
    Yeah, for a robot, neither of Multi-Bots heads look too intelligent. I always thought the orange one was the smarter of the two, but only marginally (interesting that both have the 'intelligent' head sitting on the left hand side). For a robot, it should have looked smarter and meaner.

Only occasionally did I mix my Modulok and Multi-Bot parts together. They just didn't sit together well; Multi-Bot was too bulky and clunky to go with Modulok's slim alien body parts. Another reason that I was never overtaken with Multi-Bot's overall design.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

This was one of my favourite figures back then, I never had Modulok nor did any of my friends, so this was a great second choice. I loved being able to make so different forms with it, it was really entertaining. I gave it a 9 in the poll, it would be 10 were not because Modulok is way better... and not having it was one of my biggest childhood frustrations, lol.
    "With the silent leap of a sullen beast, I have downed and strangled every joy."
    Rimbaud

I have Multi-bot since a year. I really like his colours oposed to the almost completely red Modulok. The second torso also helps. I actually like both of his heads very much.

5 I didn't really care for him or Modoluk.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

I prefer Modulok, but it not bad Voted 7

He's not bad, but no one of my fav.
    The gleam of the Power Sword lights your way as you enter the fantastic world of Eternia...