View Poll Results: Should MVP kill off the Sorcerss?

Voters
201. You may not vote on this poll
  • No...she is one of the best characters on MOTU.

117 58.21%
  • No...Teela needs to become the Green Goddess and fight for the Snake Men.

18 8.96%
  • Yes...Teela needs to take her throne.

41 20.40%
  • I could care less.

25 12.44%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Killing the Sorceress

NOOOO

TOO important a character

plus they would have messed up continuity from the old canon so much more

Sorceress was basically the reason Adam found Adora... yeah, Teela could have made that happen, but it would have been silly

It would have been cool if the Sorceress were to start training Teela, perhaps without Teela knowing it... like she and Man at Arms would put her in situations where she would start to realize her potential to BE a sorceress... and then, perhaps later, after She-Ra were introduced, the Sorceress might not be done training Teela, but then she dies or something like that...
    A Want List of Sorts: Eldor, Sweet Bee, Arrow, Spinnerella, NA She-Ra, Mermista, Gwildor, Hover-Bots, Tung Lasher, Angella, Ninjor, Huntara, Oo-Larr, Lizard Man, Sssqueeze, Peekablue... and all the other POP & NA characters.

They should only be allowed to kill her if it resulted in her becoming a goddess or something. She could be even more powerful, but, like the faceless one, she could be confined to one particular place (Grayskull) forever. She could protect the orb and Teela could protect Grayskull. Mother and daughter working together.

I believe that some elements of the story need not be explained or reached. You should always leave 'em wanting more. In the 80s, we survived never having Teela know about her mother, or Randor knowing about Adam, or even having a tangible view of what what "the power of grayskull" actually was. It is much better that way. MYP were great, but they almost need to be reminded of some of the basics... (i.e. having abbrasive heroes - Duncan, Fisto, Zodak - does not allow the viewer to "bond" with the character. Not all heroes have to be nice, but they have to be likable - even if you love to hate them. I don't think MYP planned for us to hate Duncan, Fisto OR Zodak, but that's the result they achieved).
    Last edited by He-Boy; July 30, 2007 at 12:14am.

If there was some special comic/cartoon set in the future, where Adam is King and teela is Sorceress, then fine. but to actually have the Sorceress be killed as part of the regular continuity, I would not be happy with that

I say no...but that's because I liked the Sorceress so much from the Classic series...but the new one was handled so poorly I wouldn't have cared as much...but I still say no...

THE DEMON KEY - Skelepimp Mini-Comic

Skelepimp Commissions are only a PM away....

I think this poll should have been written with less of a bias presented in the available answers. Until one is made, I won't choose any of the answers.

Heroic Warrior Buffalo-Bill-Man's Avatar
    I also say no, but it would have been fun to see the dynamic change between Teela and He-Man/Adam. Maybe Adam could actually get some respect for once. LOL

Still, I would rather see the Sorcoress become too weak to continue her duties than to have her die.

BBM-

Hm

Another way they could have handled it....maybe instead of her dying or growing too weak or whatever...maybe the 'time' just comes for Teela to step up and take over the mantle.
    Live in the Connecticut/SW Massachusetts area? Need a tutor for you or your kids? PM me!

The name is Bond.... James Bond.

For Hordak. To the death. lorde trooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rook View Post
    Meh, who cares? What use is the Sorceress? She's essentially worthless. Her whole schtick is Guardian of Greyskull and she needs to get He-Man to do it for her. At least if MYP HAD done it, it would have made an otherwise dull season remotely interesting.
    I agree 100%, we have this great protector of the secerts of the elders but eveytime there is danger she calls upon he-man, i hated this is the filmation series and the myp series, so she pretty much is useless, i wouldnt want to see her die as im not for characters being killed off but banished to another dimension so she may be bought back later on in the series if need be. Im all for more characters being banished to other dimensions.
    Evil Army of the Horde!!

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I'd say kill the Sorceress and the story moves on, everyone knows Teela will be the next Sorceress, so I'm glad that this was planned in the new series. Maybe we could have still seen the Sorceress in spirit form, guiding Teela as she came to terms with her new position.

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    I.. don't know? We all know that Teelas ultimate destiny is to become the new Sorceress, and that would certainly have been an interesting, season 4 or such, finale to the MYP-series.

But killing her off in order to pull it off..? I don't know. It's been seen in the old star-continuity with the story Lifetime, and it's been pretty much established in the new one as well as the old ones, that the title of Sorceress, is for life.

Kind of torn, but I voted no, let her live, in the end.

I agree that having Teela assume the mantle of guardian of Grayskull would be interesting - but what stories could they tell, essentially It would have placed her in the exact same situation as the original sorceress; girl trapped in a castle.

I always like the relationship between Teela and Adam, although somewhat marred I felt in the MYP series by what I felt was an overbearing and arrogant Teela.

All that said I wouldn't object to Teela becoming the new sorceress but I wouldn't want the original to die, perhaps just step down or be incapacitated as stated in earlier posts.

It would have been fun perhaps if they played around with this idea in the NA continuity. Having Teela be Adams Link to Eternia and Grayskull could have had far more impact in that series..
    A fabulous new wardrobe was revealed to me the day I held aloft my sword and said...

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    She's generally a pacifist at heart (She fights only when she has to ... when there's no alternative.)

We're talking about someone who's lived through war and bloodshed (In my imagination, the Horde killed -- murdered -- both her family and her husband.)

After going through all THAT, she's no doubt keenly aware of what someone who possesses absolute power is capable of doing. She's seen how it can poison someone.

If anything, I see her striving to avoid becoming a person she despises -- a monster.

Oh I'm not saying she should rain down asteroids on Snake Mountain but she should be able to if she wants to.

I understand that she may not want to use her powers in case it corrupts her but there should have been at least one episode where she was forced to because He-Man and the Masters had been incapacitated (some how) and the only one left to save the day was her.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    Too soon is my opinion. The idea that a seventeen year old teela would be the sorceress doesn’t agree with me. That is not because I love the sorceress, but because it’s Teela’s future destiny...Just like its He-man’s destiny to put an end to Skeletor. They are future events that should only be teased or told in alt universe stories, not in the main continuity of the show (or shows...)

If He-Man had lasted the last 25 years the way superman has for 75...I might whistle a different tune. If DC had continued its MOTU comic from 1982 I wonder how many issues we would have today.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Boy View Post
    They should only be allowed to kill her if it resulted in her becoming a goddess or something. She could be even more powerful, but, like the faceless one, she could be confined to one particular place (Grayskull) forever. She could protect the orb and Teela could protect Grayskull. Mother and daughter working together.
    I like that idea, perhaps it could even go back to the original Tale of Teela comic for inspiration and they merge into one body along with the Spirt of Grayskull. Kinda like Mind (sorceress), Body (Teela) and soul (Sprit of Grayskull)

Quote Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
    It's been seen in the old star-continuity with the story Lifetime, and it's been pretty much established in the new one as well as the old ones, that the title of Sorceress, is for life.
    I still think all these years later that Lifetime parts one and two was the best ever masters of the universe story ever told. It's so monumental and epic and the best ending that the classic line ever had, espeically the tag after the end "NEVER THE END!"
    Last edited by LORD FALLEN ELDOR; July 30, 2007 at 06:35am.
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

man maybe this show ended at the right time because it seems MYP had some plans that from where I sit wouldn't have worked well the way they had it set up. now some of these ideas could have been interesting but again as I said there wasn't enough fleshed out to make it important. Sorceress dying - could make for a really good story but again Teela didn't get to do too much nor did the sorceress for it to have any real impact other than disappointment that all of a sudden Teela is in this role. Fisto being Teela's real father, and idea most of us hate but something that could hav been interesting from a story POV, but the way they made fisto and stuff you kind of think how could sorceress have fallen for HIM and again there's a lack of meaning, it's jut "hey let's make fisto duncan's brother and as a twist Teela will be fisto's biological daughter.

I liked the tension between fisto and MAA but making him teela's real father was too soap opera coincidental. someone once said that it makes Eternia too small and MYP didn't do the best job in making Eternia feel very big.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Boy
    See now that's a cool idea but again there wasn't enough in the MYP series to do that just yet as LFE explains better.
    Last edited by krosfyah; July 30, 2007 at 06:38am.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Sometimes I think it would be cool if Teela said "Screw you. There is no way I am being locked up in a castle for the rest of my life."

Lets just say the Sorceress becomes teh Goddess. Then its pointless for Teela to be the Sorceress. I mean the Goddess isprotecting the orbe.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Fright Zone (Etheria): Prisoner of the Horde
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bock View Post
    Why kill the sorceress!!? No way that would've sucked!
    Killing the Sorceress sucks as an idea imo.
    If a man is proud of his wealth, he should not be praised until it is known how he employs it.
    Socrates

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    A.Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    Sometimes I think it would be cool if Teela said "Screw you. There is no way I am being locked up in a castle for the rest of my life."
    that would be hilarious!

Lets just say the Sorceress becomes teh Goddess. Then its pointless for Teela to be the Sorceress. I mean the Goddess isprotecting the orbe.
    not necessarily, she could the Goddess could exist for another purpose.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post

I liked the tension between fisto and MAA but making him teela's real father was too soap opera coincidental. someone once said that it makes Eternia too small and MYP didn't do the best job in making Eternia feel very big.
    I always felt that it wasn't actually a coincidence. It seemed to me that in the MYP series, the sorceress chose MAA partially because he was Teela's uncle.

As for Teela becoming the sorceress, I am not nuts about her actually having the role, but I think it is a good way to round out the series towards the end. However, I firmly believe that if it is to be done, that the Sorceress needs to die. Her being incapacitated feels like a cheap out to avoid killing and banishment means nothing other than the fact that later on we'll be seeing a story about her return.

not necessarily, she could the Goddess could exist for another purpose.
    Eh I guess. Its the Goddess man, she trumps the Sorceress(whoever it maybe)
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

someone once said that it makes Eternia too small and MYP didn't do the best job in making Eternia feel very big.
    True, true.

Eternia is supposed to be an entire planet with loads of different races and cultures...but it seems everything is within walking distance.

The whole planet of Eternia is seemingly no bigger than Malta (it was the only small place I could think of that most people would know)
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Co-Creator of the NV
    Who/what is the Goddess that is constantly referred to?

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    Eh I guess. Its the Goddess man, she trumps the Sorceress(whoever it maybe)
    true BUT as time goes on on Eternia we get more places and artifacts of power, The star seed, the three towers of eternia, etc. they don't negate the power of grayskull but they are also desired by evil and make things so much more difficult for the heroes. Or instead of a guardian the Goddess could be a different kind of character I think if MOTU stories continued for a decade or so then this would be a cool turn, otherwise meh, I don't like it.

Fear is faith in failure

I still think there is a difference between "Killing the Sorceress" and "The Dramatic Death of The Sorceress" which is what this poll should really be about.

I say no.
    It's okay for Teela to become the new sorceress,
    but without killing off her mom.

I always felt that, when Adam would become king, he should
    restore castle Grayskull (it's his, he can do that), and rule from there
    with Teela as his queen and new sorceress.
    A good final to the show in my opinion.

Personally I'm glad the MYP series ended the way it did.
    Most of the ideas they had in store (aside from She-Ra and the Horde)
    were awful (Man-At-Arms becoming a snake man, Fisto being Teela's father, killing the Sorceress...).
    Fictional characters are just that. Fictional. They have no personality or free will of their own.
    Writers and editors mold them to their own wants and needs.
    All we as the audience and fans can do is pick and choose our favorite interpretation and ignore the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by SLO-MAN View Post
    I always felt that, when Adam would become king, he should
    restore castle Grayskull (it's his, he can do that), and rule from there
    with Teela as his queen and new sorceress.
    A good final to the show in my opinion.
    I would have liked that ending as well.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.