View Poll Results: Should MVP kill off the Sorcerss?

Voters
201. You may not vote on this poll
  • No...she is one of the best characters on MOTU.

117 58.21%
  • No...Teela needs to become the Green Goddess and fight for the Snake Men.

18 8.96%
  • Yes...Teela needs to take her throne.

41 20.40%
  • I could care less.

25 12.44%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Killing the Sorceress

The New Adventures of Ion HeManOfGreyskull's Avatar
    I would like King Adam and Queen Teela myself, but honestly, it be soooo much more dramatic if Teela'na died so that the powers passed to Teela vs just giving them to here and vanishing ala Kodak Ungor.
    Otherwise, how/why would Teela'na give up the powers? Remember, Veena said she'd guard the castle and sword until she was "no longer able". So why would the Sorceress just give up her binding powers to Teela if she was still able to be the Sorceress and Teela didn't absolutely have to take up the mantle?
    Rob
    Captain Picard:So...five card stud, nothing wild...and the sky's the limit.

A big fan of Slush Head
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidliz View Post
    Killing the Sorceress sucks as an idea imo.
    Exactly!
    If they wanted to get rid of the Sorceress they should have come up with a better way, instead of killing her, which is a terrible idea.

Maybe they could've done something similiar to the classic where she is sent to another dimension and Teela had to take her place while she was gone. But instead of making the episode a stand alone, it could've turned into a little saga where they are trying to bring the Sorceress back.

That way we would have had the chance to see Teela in the role of the Sorceress but for a limited period of time. If the idea was to show Teela's potential as a Sorceress to me the best idea is the one I stated above.

If they had killed the Sorceress, it would've been an unnecesary death.
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    I would rather have a story arc that expands multiple episodes in the future where we see Teela as the Sorceress and have the episode explain the death of the Sorceress, and everything else in between. IMO, that would satisfy both the fans of the Sorceress and Teela.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bock View Post
    Exactly!
    If they wanted to get rid of the Sorceress they should have come up with a better way, instead of killing her, which is a terrible idea.
    I highly doubt they were planning her death because they wanted to "get rid" of her.

The thing that MYP did that people seem to be struggling with is their attempts at actually advancing the story, rather than the Filmation series where each episode is permanently stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    Who/what is the Goddess that is constantly referred to?
    The Goddess originated in the first He-man minicomic, giving He-man his armor and sword as he came from the barbarian lands, and gave him the task of protecting Grayskull from Skeletor (who had the other half of the Power Sword in this continuity). She's green, with snake armor like Teela's, and is called the Goddess in the comic. Somehow she evolved...(devolved?) into the Sorceress of Grayskull we know today.
    Leeloomina´ Lekatariba Lamina-Tcha´ Ekbat De Sebat

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by LeelooMinai View Post
    The Goddess originated in the first He-man minicomic, giving He-man his armor and sword as he came from the barbarian lands, and gave him the task of protecting Grayskull from Skeletor (who had the other half of the Power Sword in this continuity). She's green, with snake armor like Teela's, and is called the Goddess in the comic. Somehow she evolved...(devolved?) into the Sorceress of Grayskull we know today.

ohhh.... i remember her... i never thought it referred to her because people are making such a big deal over someone that showed up once and was never seen/heard of again, lol.

Heroic Warrior
    For anyone unhappy with the poll or more importantly the choices I gave....sorry. The information from the Comic Con convention stated that..."MYP intended on eventually killing off the Sorceress and having Teela become the next Sorceress. King Hsss would poison the Sorceress with her venom and she would DIE.

So that is why you have only yes, no, or I dont care options. MYP basically stated that we were not getting any other choices.

Now that I have read all the post, another idea has sprung. Someone mentioned a "Teela'a Trial" episode. Now what if the Sorceress was too weak (BUT NOT DEAD) to protect the castle and the Sorceress finally told Teela her destiny. The Sorceress teaches Teela and ultimately together they triumph over evil and save the day.....and they return to there normal roles?

If your choices had been only Yes, No, or I Don't Care, then that would have been the proper way to go about it. Instead, you attached reasons to the yesses and nos (even providing two different nos), effectively putting biased words in people's mouths.

I'll say this, if the Sorceress were to become the Goddess as the result of "dying" from the venom of King Hsss, it would at least explain the green skin and snake armor theme of the character (particularly when snakes have been mainly a symbol of evil in MOTU).

But I prefer the Green Goddess as a figure from the past circa King Grayskull and He-Ro's time, as having something to do with Teela's snake staff, and being a unique character separate from both the Sorceress and Teela.

Like LFE, I feel we haven't had any one continuity long enough to make killing off the Sorceress very acceptable (except maybe the Filmation one, but then I think that was her most lovable incarnation too so killing her would still have sucked lemons). In general, I think killing off major characters like that is a sensationalist gimmick. But in the case of the MYP series, where I don't think they had enough momentum to really turn the death of the Sorceress into an event, I think it means they just didn't have any more ideas for either the Sorcerss or Teela. Because that plot twist effectively combines two characters (coincidentally two of the only female characters). Teela's search for her father and/or mother from Teela's Quest could have been a whole season's subplot, and learning Adam's secret was getting to be a necessary twist because she was so one-note without knowing it--Adam didn't look so good either, keeping the secret from the only real friend he had on the show. But that's a whole other thread of agony. No, the Sorceress dying, particularly at the hands of the writers who wouldn't let Granamyr talk and wanted Fisto to be Teela's father, would have been terrible. I'm glad they were cancelled first.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Flor2099 View Post
    If your choices had been only Yes, No, or I Don't Care, then that would have been the proper way to go about it. Instead, you attached reasons to the yesses and nos (even providing two different nos), effectively putting biased words in people's mouths.
    Wow...i hate to see when you go to vote in 2008.
    Besides...why not explain what your choice would have been in writing instead of complaining about the poll? Over one hundred people voted...and only you pitched a fit.

Evil Snake General General_Rattlor's Avatar
    I voted for the first alternative. It's not that I love the sorceress so much, but I simply hate it when a character in a cartoon dies. Noone died in the classic cartoon and so it should be in the "new" one. I hate the fact that Webstor wasn't a part of Skeletors gang in the MYP cartoon. And I hate it even more that they let him die in Season Two. Webstor was always one of the greatest characters of Skeletors gang and it wasn't a good idea to let him die. I feel the same way about the sorceress. If characters die this isn't MotU. For me those characters are eternal.

Heroic Warrior
    Thanks General....you said exactly what I wanted to but could not. If MOTU should return...these are not just characters that you can kill just to tell a story..they are eternal.

Careful here, you're a little wrong. Darth Lat... Listen up.

The Goddess that was in the early minicomics is basically the Sorceress..

In the first minicomic, the green lady that looked like a green Teela was just a first stab a the Sorceress. She's even named the Sorceress, NOT the Goddess in that issue.
    In the second series of minicomics that DC comic produced, they changed her skin back to a flesh color and called her Goddess, but for all intents and purposes, she was the Sorceress.
    It was the Filmation toon that gave her the definitive falcon motif we all now know and love.

The "Goddess" or "Green Goddess" that everyone around here refers to would be the fan character we've all kind of created around here as being separate from the Sorceress. But it's all really just fan fic. Nothing official by any means. That includes Teela turning into said Goddess.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Evil Snake General General_Rattlor's Avatar
    Thanks DerrickT!

Lycan
    I really disliked the MYP Sorceress. But still wouldn't want to see her killed off..

Unless of course, it was a Phoenix type story, and she returned in her correctly coloured costume

A power struggle between mother and daughter for control of Grayskull might have been fun
    What next? It seems every month lately there is something..

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post

In the first minicomic, the green lady that looked like a green Teela was just a first stab a the Sorceress. She's even named the Sorceress, NOT the Goddess in that issue.
    In the second series of minicomics that DC comic produced, they changed her skin back to a flesh color and called her Goddess, but for all intents and purposes, she was the Sorceress.
    It was the Filmation toon that gave her the definitive falcon motif we all now know and love.

The "Goddess" or "Green Goddess" that everyone around here refers to would be the fan character we've all kind of created around here as being separate from the Sorceress. But it's all really just fan fic. Nothing official by any means. That includes Teela turning into said Goddess.
    you're forgetting the Tale of Teela mini comic info though, which told the story of Teela being cloned from the goddess (or was she the sorceress? )by Skeletor, which kind of made the Teela figure a two in one - with snake armour whe was the goddess without it she was Teela. which give the title Heroic Warrior Goddess a different meaning. (one is the warrior the other is a goddess. )
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Kill off the Sorceress??? That just ticks me OFF!! Now I am GLAD that 200X series got canned.

She is one of my favorite characters right after He-Man! Grrr...talk about screwing up a good thing. Kill off some loser character, but not one of the main cast. Oye...my head...I'm glad I missed that panel. I was too busy getting Stargate Atlantis autographs...

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post

Hee hee. leave it to Bae-Na to set me straight! 10 lashes with the whip (you have to find your own, you can't use Div's)!
    Leeloomina´ Lekatariba Lamina-Tcha´ Ekbat De Sebat

Quote Originally Posted by DerrickT View Post
    Now that I have read all the post, another idea has sprung. Someone mentioned a "Teela'a Trial" episode. Now what if the Sorceress was too weak (BUT NOT DEAD) to protect the castle and the Sorceress finally told Teela her destiny. The Sorceress teaches Teela and ultimately together they triumph over evil and save the day.....and they return to there normal roles?

That was "Teela's Triumph."

Hee hee. leave it to Bae-Na to set me straight! 10 lashes with the whip (you have to find your own, you can't use Div's)!

And I just want to add this whole little sub culture thing has sprung up with the Goddess. She has a defender, she has a priestess devoted to her...but thats just crazy fans getting a little too weird
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    I'll say this, if the Sorceress were to become the Goddess as the result of "dying" from the venom of King Hsss, it would at least explain the green skin and snake armor theme of the character (particularly when snakes have been mainly a symbol of evil in MOTU).

But I prefer the Green Goddess as a figure from the past circa King Grayskull and He-Ro's time, as having something to do with Teela's snake staff, and being a unique character separate from both the Sorceress and Teela.

Like LFE, I feel we haven't had any one continuity long enough to make killing off the Sorceress very acceptable (except maybe the Filmation one, but then I think that was her most lovable incarnation too so killing her would still have sucked lemons). In general, I think killing off major characters like that is a sensationalist gimmick. But in the case of the MYP series, where I don't think they had enough momentum to really turn the death of the Sorceress into an event, I think it means they just didn't have any more ideas for either the Sorcerss or Teela. Because that plot twist effectively combines two characters (coincidentally two of the only female characters). Teela's search for her father and/or mother from Teela's Quest could have been a whole season's subplot, and learning Adam's secret was getting to be a necessary twist because she was so one-note without knowing it--Adam didn't look so good either, keeping the secret from the only real friend he had on the show. But that's a whole other thread of agony. No, the Sorceress dying, particularly at the hands of the writers who wouldn't let Granamyr talk and wanted Fisto to be Teela's father, would have been terrible. I'm glad they were cancelled first.

Amen! Quoted for truth! IMO killing off the MYP Sorceress wouldn't sucked because we BARELY knew her.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

Teela is too young in the toon. She shouldn't become the Sorceress until she is in her late 20's at least. Also, if she became the Sorceress, she would know all about Adam.

Sometimes....

If there was a way to do it well, I'd be all for killing any character off, really.

But sometimes it might prove impossible to do it well.
    Live in the Connecticut/SW Massachusetts area? Need a tutor for you or your kids? PM me!

The name is Bond.... James Bond.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Atkin View Post
    Teela is too young in the toon. She shouldn't become the Sorceress until she is in her late 20's at least. Also, if she became the Sorceress, she would know all about Adam.
    Well there is one way around this, have a new series set in the future with the main character being He-Ro (I'm sure most of you will have heard of him)

In the future Teela could be the new Sorceress due to her mother either being dead or retired (you pick) and Adam is now King of Eternia and has gave up his power to become He-Man so he concentrate on his royal duties.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Fright Zone (Etheria): Prisoner of the Horde
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bock View Post
    Exactly!

Maybe they could've done something similiar to the classic where she is sent to another dimension and Teela had to take her place while she was gone. But instead of making the episode a stand alone, it could've turned into a little saga where they are trying to bring the Sorceress back.

That way we would have had the chance to see Teela in the role of the Sorceress but for a limited period of time. If the idea was to show Teela's potential as a Sorceress to me the best idea is the one I stated above.

If they had killed the Sorceress, it would've been an unnecesary death.
    True!
    Or they could just leave the Sorceress where she is and, when Skeletor would have been defeated, there would be no need for Teela nor the Sorceress to protect Castle Grayskull. So for once they could leave like "ordinary" people!
    If a man is proud of his wealth, he should not be praised until it is known how he employs it.
    Socrates

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    A.Einstein