View Poll Results: Should MVP kill off the Sorcerss?

Voters
201. You may not vote on this poll
  • No...she is one of the best characters on MOTU.

117 58.21%
  • No...Teela needs to become the Green Goddess and fight for the Snake Men.

18 8.96%
  • Yes...Teela needs to take her throne.

41 20.40%
  • I could care less.

25 12.44%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Killing the Sorceress

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    In "The Ties That Bind," when Man-At-Arms senses the precognitive abilities of Teela, he sheilds his mind, preventing her from reading his thoughts, although it is not specifically explained how he does this.
    ahh... cool... well then that pretty much answers mirage's first questions about probing his mind

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    In the case of Teela, it is possible to hide her, so the best defense is to ensure that she doesn't have a big target painted on her.

She's the Captain of the Guard ... she's ALREADY a target.

As for torturing him for the various secrets, they still might not get the Teela info from him because they wouldn't know to ask. They might ask about He-Man, since he might reasonably know who HM is, but the Teela thing probably wouldn't come up.

I figured Skeletor, Evil-Lyn, or Hordak would look for any leverage they could gain over him -- family included.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    In "The Ties That Bind," when Man-At-Arms senses the precognitive abilities of Teela, he sheilds his mind, preventing her from reading his thoughts, although it is not specifically explained how he does this.

MAA can shield his mind ... but Teela cannot shield hers?

What kind of sense does that make?

If I were a soldier who ran the risk of magickal mind probes, you'd think that would be a part of basic training (Think of what Skeletor or Hordak could learn from a captured soldier -- command structure, troop movements, etc.)
    Last edited by Mirage; August 12, 2007 at 07:10am.

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    She's the Captain of the Guard ... she's ALREADY a target.
    They needed to train her for the role of the Sorceress. She excelled. If they held her back from a prominent position, she'd probably have gotten really ****ed and rebelled.

Aside from that, being teh Captain of the Guard makes her a target, but nowhere near as juicy a target as she would be if she was the next sorceress. Prince Adam and his whole family are targets, but we don't go advertising the fact that he's He-Man.

I figured Skeletor, Evil-Lyn, or Hordak would look for any leverage they could gain over him -- family included.
    I do too. Imagine how much more tempting she would be if it was known that she is the daughter of the sorceress.

[/QUOTE]

If I were a soldier who ran the risk of magickal mind probes, you'd think that would be a part of basic training (Think of what Skeletor or Hordak could learn from a captured soldier -- command structure, troop movements, etc.)[/QUOTE]

Do we know that she can't? I am not as up to date on the story specifics as you guys.

Assuming that she can't, then there are likely good reasons for it. For one, she's still young. That level of skill and training might takes years and years to accomplish. It is probably not that easy to do.

As for it being taught to all of the soldiers, sure it would be prudent, but if it is that hard to do, would it be feasible or worth the time? The military tells its soldiers information on a need to know basis. The Canadian military presumes that within 24 hours of a soldier's capture, any information that the soldier knows will have been transmitted to the enemy. This presumption is made so that the soldier can attempt to avoid torture, as well as to ensure that they are only given a limited amount of information so that plans can be changed quickly when needed. I imagine the eternian army would work the same way. Chances are that the average soldier would know next to nothing about what's going on outside of his regiment and personal duties.

Prince Adam and his whole family are targets, but we don't go advertising the fact that he's He-Man.
    They're competition for the throne.

If captured, they would be killed first.

Do we know that she can't? I am not as up to date on the story specifics as you guys.

Assuming that she can't, then there are likely good reasons for it. For one, she's still young. That level of skill and training might takes years and years to accomplish. It is probably not that easy to do.

And even then, what's to stop MAA from being overpowered by Skeletor or Hordak? Either one of them could steamroll over him.

I've always wondered ... what effect does this secrecy have on Teela?

Her mother is alive ... but she refuses to see or acknowledge her. What's going through Teela's mind? What is she thinking? Surely she must wonder just who this woman is who's SO important that she must be hidden from her own DAUGHTER.

Furthermore, if Teela's so important to Grayskull, cannot the Power of Grayskull protect HER, just as it does Prince Adam?
    Last edited by Mirage; August 12, 2007 at 08:41am.

it's not a natural ability, it's something that MAA has had training in, from the elders if i recall correctly. it's possible that the elders were the only ones who were able to teach that kind of defense.

Also i think that though teela is important to Grayskull - as the next Sorceress, I don't think that she is the one and only one who could do the job. the way that it has been presented it doesn't seem like the position is meant for just one person that being siad it of course isn't like a McJob suitable for anyone either. but I'm sure there could be other candidates if something were to happen to the prime one. not many but they could be found. where as He-Man is He-Man it's only destined for one person.

They're competition for the throne.

If captured, they would be killed first.

True but as cartoons go the villains usually like to aim exactly for their intended target instead of waste time going after the little fish. MYP did a good job going around this here and there though when they had Skeletor kidnap Adam (and almost kill him when he was deemed useless), Capture all of the good guys, and attempt to break up King Randor's council. So they did make everyone a target which was nice to see.
    And even then, what's to stop MAA from being overpowered by Skeletor or Hordak? Either one of them could steamroll over him.
    He-Man's to stop them. that's why he's there!

I've always wondered ... what effect does this secrecy have on Teela?

Her mother is alive ... but she refuses to see or acknowledge her. What's going through Teela's mind? What is she thinking? Surely she must wonder just who this woman is who's SO important that she must be hidden from her own DAUGHTER.
    Does Teela know her mother is alive? I like how filmation handled this in Teela's Quest - showing her desperation to know of her past and lineage. for MYP it kind of feels like Teela doesn't know her mother is alive and also it feels like she doesn't know she's adopted. I can't recall if they mention her being adopted.
    Last edited by krosfyah; August 12, 2007 at 08:58am.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    Also i think that though teela is important to Grayskull - as the next Sorceress, I don't think that she is the one and only one who could do the job. the way that it has been presented it doesn't seem like the position is meant for just one person that being siad it of course isn't like a McJob suitable for anyone either. but I'm sure there could be other candidates if something were to happen to the prime one. not many but they could be found. where as He-Man is He-Man it's only destined for one person.

If Teela's so important, you'd think the Castle would've made more of an effort to protect her than keeping her mother hidden from her.

If Teela's so important, you'd think the Castle would've made more of an effort to protect her than keeping her mother hidden from her.
    well it's possible that it's important the she isn't kept safe. look at the position and how it is a life of solitude and loneliness, maybe she needs to get used to having that isolation to be right for the job. also as far as i know the magic of grayskull protects adam's secret it doesn't keep him safe from danger (until he's he-man and has the strength and endurance)
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Are we talking about that processed instant garbage you buy in the supermarket? The kind that spikes your blood sugar?

If you REALLY want something that'll stick with you, buy whole oats (The kind that take longer to cook. Mother INHALES the stuff every morning! )

No way, I'm talking whole oats baby! Of course that instant crap isn't goin to stick to ribs!

Furthermore, if Teela's so important to Grayskull, cannot the Power of Grayskull protect HER, just as it does Prince Adam?
    Who said the castle protects Adam?
    He uses the power to become He-Man, but I don't recall him having any special protection.

Same goes for Teela, yes she's highly important, but again, I don't know that the castle protects anybody really... It does house or protect the power of the elders... But that's about it.

I could be wrong there though.

As to MAA being able to shield his mind where Teela cannot?

As others have said, we don't know how he can do that or where he learned the trick.
    Who's to say the Sorceress taught him? Maybe she didn't? He's an old warrior that has been through a lot.
    Teela is still young and grew up in a relative time of peace... So little to no need to learn to "shield her thoughts".

Just my guess on the matter.
    Last edited by Baena; August 12, 2007 at 09:39am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    also as far as i know the magic of grayskull protects adam's secret it doesn't keep him safe from danger

That's what I'm talking about with Teela.

Surely the magic of Grayskull could protect Teela's secret as it does Adam's (We all know Teela is more than capable of handling herself in a fight. )

If Teela wasn't psychologically up to the job of guarding Grayskull, why would it be her "destiny"?

Co-Creator of the NV
    That's what I'm talking about with Teela.

Surely the magic of Grayskull could protect Teela's secret as it does Adam's (We all know Teela is more than capable of handling herself in a fight. )
    The more people who know a secret, the more likely that it will no longer remain a secret.

Besides, there might be a reason for needing Teela to not know who her mother is, other than for her protection.

If Teela wasn't psychologically up to the job of guarding Grayskull, why would it be her "destiny"?
    Because she has to grow into the role. Assuming that things are preordained, one could say that Abraham Lincolm was destined to free the slaves, but he sure wasn't up to the job at the age of 18.

Did you start off in the kitchen as an amazing cook?
    Sure maybe you thought so, but in terms of the industry... You probably had a few things to learn before you could become the great chef you are today no?

Not taking personal jabs at you just for the heck of it. But to hopefully illustrate the point in a way you might understand...
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    Did you start off in the kitchen as an amazing cook?
    Sure maybe you thought so, but in terms of the industry... You probably had a few things to learn before you could become the great chef you are today no?

Not taking personal jabs at you just for the heck of it. But to hopefully illustrate the point in a way you might understand...

Funny ... I don't recall any of the Chefs I've worked under ever having pre-cognitive powers!

Seriously, I would've expected more from the Spirit of Grayskull.

Besides, there might be a reason for needing Teela to not know who her mother is, other than for her protection.

I'm guessing that maybe The Sorceress isn't ready emotionally to be a mother (She and Teela have been apart for so long.)

She may be trying to put it off for as long as possible (Something akin to teaching your kids about sex.)
    Last edited by Mirage; August 12, 2007 at 03:40pm.

Seriously, I would've expected more from the Spirit of Grayskull.
    Do you know what's best for those who are to recieve the powers of Grayskull?
    I think the Spirit of Grayskull knows best... Shouldn't be too quick to judge.

NO killing of the sorceress , i like the idea of her being the green goddess befor she is soceress
    Eternian Beastmaster

The Sorceress is one of my favorite character but eventually she would have to pass the mantle on to Teela and I would rather it be dramatic and have her die in battle with King Hiss than her just retire. People die in war. Sacrific can be noble in a story. I don't just want happy predictable endings all the time.

Why kill the sorceress!!? No way that would've sucked!
    No, she is one of the best characters on MOTU

She is a key character in MOTU, and Teela becoming Sorceress will just create the need for another sort of Teela, which is rather idiotic and I would prefer keeping the things as they are. It is like Adam becoming King, it is fine for a future story but not for the main argument line.

voted "Yes". And now MOTUC has validated this.

Seriously, no I dont want her dead in the "Normal" MOTU time...but down the line? the "Future"? yeah, certainly. Teela has to embrace her destiny. All great myths need an end. All great characters deserve a sendoff story, even if it's a "what if" or "elseworlds" or just "imaginary story" (as if they werent all imaginary stories)