241. You may not vote on this poll
  • He-Ro

108 44.81%
  • King Grayskull

133 55.19%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: He-Ro vs King Grayskull

Quote Originally Posted by HeManOfGreyskull View Post
    Why does He-Ro's source of power have to come from Castle/King Grayskull?
    We do know his powers come from a different source!
    The point is... he then transmitted this powers to the castle when he built it?

Defender of the Crown
    I like the King Grayskull origin of power story but I would be more interested in the He-Ro story to see what other crazy things would have been released. The mini-comic had me on the edge since 1987 so I say finish up the story! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Guard View Post
    I like the King Grayskull origin of power story but I would be more interested in the He-Ro story to see what other crazy things would have been released. The mini-comic had me on the edge since 1987 so I say finish up the story! LOL
    But we didn't get the origin of King Grayskull's power, we just got the story of how he recognized it and passed it on to the Elders when he died. How he did that of course wasn't clear since we never learned that he knew magic.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    But we didn't get the origin of King Grayskull's power, we just got the story of how he recognized it and passed it on to the Elders when he died. How he did that of course wasn't clear since we never learned that he knew magic.
    Maybe He-Ro and Eldor, maybe with other powerfull forces of good foresaw the birth of King Grayskull and the battle he was facing against the horde. They could have infused his familyline with all their power only to make sure good would prevale. This is better suited for the fanfic section though.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

I voted KG.....I liked the idea of there being an actual King Grayskull that was a past relative of the Randor family..btw did they ever mention Randor's last name? We could assume it was Grayskull as well but then everyone would be able to more easily pinpoint Adam as He-man as he grew older. King Grayskull seemed the perfect fit for the builder of Castle Grayskull and I agree it was pretty lame how Hordak handed him his a$$ so easily, guess the aid of the Horde Weavers helped!
    Ram Man's long lost brother!

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    Maybe He-Ro and Eldor, maybe with other powerfull forces of good foresaw the birth of King Grayskull and the battle he was facing against the horde. They could have infused his familyline with all their power only to make sure good would prevale. This is better suited for the fanfic section though.
    That is why I liked the story idea I came up with. It explains how they can both have the powers and why it is still known as the "Power of Grayskull" even though KG comes after HR.

And no, I don't think that anyone ever knows Randor's last name. I don't think that royal families tend to use them. For instance, what's Prince Harry's last name? There might be one, but I have never heard it.

The other question I have is whether KG's last name is actually grayskull. Did the episode ever give him a first name? Maybe Grayskull is his first name.... which leads one to wonder what was wrong with his parents. Or perhaps it wasn't his name at all, but it was a name he chose later (like a superhero identity).

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggernaugt View Post
    I voted KG.....I liked the idea of there being an actual King Grayskull that was a past relative of the Randor family..btw did they ever mention Randor's last name? We could assume it was Grayskull as well but then everyone would be able to more easily pinpoint Adam as He-man as he grew older. King Grayskull seemed the perfect fit for the builder of Castle Grayskull and I agree it was pretty lame how Hordak handed him his a$$ so easily, guess the aid of the Horde Weavers helped!
    Randor's last name?
    I doubt it's Grayskull and here's why.

Sure, through the panel at SDCC and the Q and A that Ian Richter did here, we know that Randor and Keldor are brothers.
    And that Keldor is also an heir of Grayskull.

Seeing as their mom is probably of the blue skinned race, it's doubtful, though not impossible that Randor and Keldor's mother is of Grayskull's line.
    So we can probably assume that King Miro (Randor and Keldor's father) was also a decendant of Grayskull. But after that? The Grayskull bloodline could've gone through any of the grandmothers and great grandmothers before Miro.
    That is, if on Eternia, the last name stays with the father/husband like it does in most western cultures here on Earth.

It is also possible that there are no first and last names on Eternia.
    I can't think of a single character that has a first and a last name...

Remember also, the story of King Grayskull and Castle Grayskull is all but forgotten on modern day Eternia.
    Adam calling Grayskull an old relic.
    Skeletor not knowing the history behind the castle, and that's his own family supposedly.
    Someone's not been doing their geneology!

Holy cow I am SUCH a He-Man NERD!
    Last edited by Baena; August 7, 2007 at 02:58pm.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    Seeing as their mom is probably of the blue skinned race, it's doubtful, though not impossible that Randor and Keldor's mother is of Grayskull's line.
    It is just as likely that they share the same father, and have different mothers.

So we can probably assume that King Miro (Randor and Keldor's father) was also a decendant of Grayskull.
    It is just as likely that Adam is a descendant of Grayskull through Marlena, and not Randor.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    The other question I have is whether KG's last name is actually grayskull. Did the episode ever give him a first name? Maybe Grayskull is his first name.... which leads one to wonder what was wrong with his parents. Or perhaps it wasn't his name at all, but it was a name he chose later (like a superhero identity).
    my idea was that like He-Ro (to me they can co-exist)
    King Grayskull's real name is Gray, could have even been a family tradition to name the first male Gray(a tradition that fell by the wayside after KG died for whatever reason they want to write. he built a Skull faced castle which probably was known as Gray's Skull castle, after a while it's Grayskull Castle, or King Gray's Skull castle shorten it as language tends to do you get King Grayskull
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Co-Creator of the NV
    Are we even certain that they are descendants? Does it state that in the KG episode or somewhere else? Because if it is not explicitly stated somewhere, it is possible that the royal family has changed over time. The KG line could've been wiped out and a new royal family could've arisen.

I've made this argument time and again, The Castle, Grayskull, is THE core of the Eternia-mythos, and hence must predate any character whom we could ever know very much about.

If He-Ro, or King-Grayskull, or anyone else concrete enough to have a character-design, had built that place, then it ceases being the magical receptical of the great Universal power and knowledge, and just becomes somebody's pad.

Personally I love the notion from the Filmation bible that Castle Grayskull is the molecularly-recomposited manifestation of the original Council of Ancients and their Hall of Wisdom. In my mind THAT's where Grayskull comes from.

So why is King Grayskull, called "King Grayskull"? Because he's the king currently squatting in Grayskull during the Preternia era. Yeah he's an incredibly powerful, arguably noble squatter, but he's still a squatter.

And as far as what's official or not, well, in this muddy universe, I think canon is what you want it to be. For me canon is, in descending order of primacy Filmation -> MYP -> Minicomics. I take a smattering of other things from other sources as I like 'em, but this universe is SOOOO self-contradictory even within single sources, never mind ACROSS media, that's it's really kind of pointless to accept and/or try to reconcile all of it as a cohesive whole.

D/L
    "I am convinced that the only people worthy of consideration in this world are the unusual ones. For the common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed."

-The Scarecrow, The Marvelous Land of Oz.

Not only does it apply nicely to Masters, but is probably a deep truth.

Powers of Preternia Podcast Video Series
    http://www.youtube.com/user/destrong...s?feature=mhum

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    Are we even certain that they are descendants? Does it state that in the KG episode or somewhere else? Because if it is not explicitly stated somewhere, it is possible that the royal family has changed over time. The KG line could've been wiped out and a new royal family could've arisen.
    Sorceress calls KG adam's ancestor that's where it's coming from.

Destrongerlupus

that's a fine idea too, i don't mind not knowing how and why Grayskull came to be...makes the story more mythical IMO./
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    Sorceress calls KG adam's ancestor that's where it's coming from.
    ahh, I didn't remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    that's a fine idea too, i don't mind not knowing how and why Grayskull came to be...makes the story more mythical IMO./
    Yep, that's totally where I'm coming from. Lord knows I love He-Ro, and KGS too, but that darned Skull-faced castle (Which doesn't seem like the sort of thing EITHER of them would design anyway) wormed its way DEEP into my heart as a child as the TRUE center of everything magical. Bigger than He-Man, bigger than Skeletor, bigger than the Sorceress, Grayskull is THE keystone. No prequel- or backstory- character can come close to that level of importance.

D/L
    "I am convinced that the only people worthy of consideration in this world are the unusual ones. For the common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed."

-The Scarecrow, The Marvelous Land of Oz.

Not only does it apply nicely to Masters, but is probably a deep truth.

Powers of Preternia Podcast Video Series
    http://www.youtube.com/user/destrong...s?feature=mhum

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    It is just as likely that they share the same father, and have different mothers.
    True.
    Could be a bit of dirt on ol' King Miro eh?
    Keldor, the son that should have never been!

That is to say, IF he was married. Maybe he was a king with concubines? It's certainly happened in Earth's past.
    He could've been a regular King Henry the 8th! Had one wife, got mad at her, had another, she went crazy, and so on and so on.
    But seeing as Randor and Keldor are close to the same age... Who knows how that all played out.
    They could be paternal twins.
    They could have different mothers.
    They could could be from the same mother... We don't know those details, so anything here is really just speculation.

It is just as likely that Adam is a descendant of Grayskull through Marlena, and not Randor.
    Not if Randor and Keldor are brothers, and their father is King Miro.
    Remember it was at the SDCC panel where this is confirmed: Keldor also is a descendant of Grayskull.
    Therefore, the lineage comes from Randor's side of the family.
    Besides... I thought everyone wanted Marlena to be from Earth!
    Last edited by Baena; August 7, 2007 at 04:31pm.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw

Not if Randor and Keldor are brothers, and their father is King Miro. Remember it was at the SDCC panel where this is confirmed: Keldor also is a descendant of Grayskull.
    There is not a transcript of the panel available yet, how am I supposed to remember something that I have not read?

Quote Originally Posted by DestrongerLupus View Post
    Yep, that's totally where I'm coming from. Lord knows I love He-Ro, and KGS too, but that darned Skull-faced castle (Which doesn't seem like the sort of thing EITHER of them would design anyway) wormed its way DEEP into my heart as a child as the TRUE center of everything magical. Bigger than He-Man, bigger than Skeletor, bigger than the Sorceress, Grayskull is THE keystone. No prequel- or backstory- character can come close to that level of importance.

D/L
    yeah it did the same to me too and honestly I prefer it that way. it could be one of the wonders of eternia. it is a lot better having no builder - for as long as eternians remember it was always there. Fortress of mystery and power just like the old boxart!

Fear is faith in failure

There is not a transcript of the panel available yet, how am I supposed to remember something that I have not read?
    Fair enough.

But if you've read through the San Diego panel thread you would have that info.
    No it's not a transcript, but it's all we've got right now.

And to Krosfyah and DL's conversaion on Grayskull... I'm with you guys there.
    I'd like to think that somehow, at least a part of Castle Grayskull has always been there.
    Maybe the giant Skull?
    Maybe it's the petrified remains of a Giant God like creature?
    Maybe He-Ro or KG found the skull and built a castle and kingdom around it over time, but that a part of it still remains... A Fortress of Mystery and Power.
    Last edited by Baena; August 7, 2007 at 05:00pm.

He-Ro looks a little too happy for a brawl.

Fair enough.

But if you've read through the San Diego panel thread you would have that info.

And to Krosfyah and DL's conversaion on Grayskull... I'm with you guys there.
    I'd like to think that somehow, at least a part of Castle Grayskull has always been there.
    Maybe the giant Skull?
    Maybe it's the petrified remains of a Giant God like creature?
    Maybe He-Ro or KG found the skull and built a castle and kingdom around it over time, but that a part of it still remains... A Fortress of Mystery and Power.
    Well I think that it might predate King Grayskull for another reason...There was more than one. Grayskull may be his family name (surname) so his father would have been King Grayskull. His grandfather would have been King Grayskull...and so on etc etc etc.

It was built by the Grayskulls, but not by the the King that we all know, but a distant ancestor who had a thing for giant skulls.

Oh and isn't it interesting that Skeletor is supposedly, possibly Keldor, the brother of Randor and a descendant of King Grayskull...interesting in the fact that the Grayskull line loved the image of a skull so much that the had their castle built with one as prominent feature...and HE has one for a FACE...now is that Poetic, Ironic...or something else? I really don't know...any English professors out there who can tell me?
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

But if you've read through the San Diego panel thread you would have that info. [/b]
    In which of the over 328 posts is this information?

I would rather defer to the official transcript than the recollection of a poster.

I would rather defer to the official transcript than the recollection of a poster.

To me Keldor is obviously a descendent of Grayskull.
    And that's what makes Skeletor even more dangerous...
    He may "have the power"!

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    He may "have the power"!
    When are you going to fully-reveal this concept to us?

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    He may "have the power"!
    OOHHHhhh...When will know the whole truth?!
    Last edited by Hek-tor; August 7, 2007 at 11:19pm.

When are you going to fully-reveal this concept to us?
    No time soon.
    Waiting on how some things pan out.