Voters
241. You may not vote on this poll
  • He-Ro

108 44.81%
  • King Grayskull

133 55.19%
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: He-Ro vs King Grayskull

I can't decide between the two. They're both equally interesting and I too think that both can exist in the MotU mythos.

Fright Zone (Etheria): Prisoner of the Horde
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    He-Ro. I am still in the camp that King Grayskull completely cheapens He-Man.
    I love you
    Quote Originally Posted by StratosMacca View Post
    He-Ro, hands down

--Leanne
    Yup yup
    If a man is proud of his wealth, he should not be praised until it is known how he employs it.
    Socrates

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    A.Einstein

I really like BOTH characters.

So I'm not sure I could choose between one or the other especially since I think both characters can easily co-exist.
    I mean He-Ro could essentially be from millions of years past, while King Grayskull may be from only hundreds of years past, and He-Man is simply the present bearer of the "Powers of Grayskull."

He-Ro. I am still in the camp that King Grayskull completely cheapens He-Man.
    See I don't really understand this argument because to me it makes perfect sense to have various generations of chosen ones who bear the "Powers of Grayskull" and to also have some generations throughout time where the the"PoG" are thought to be lost forever, and Eternia goes into a dark ages of sorts w/ out a chosen hero.

It just seems to make perfect sense since He-Man, rather, Prince Adam surely won't live forever, same with King Grayskull and He-Ro, whom are all essentially humans and simply "bearers" of the "powers."

...Oh yeah, so I can't vote, cause I vote for BOTH!
    Last edited by Neutro; August 2, 2007 at 02:55pm.
    – No comment.

I don't see how He-Ro is any more of a "horrible" name than He-Man is

I love the play on the word hero to fit in with MOTU.
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Yeah, I agree.
    He-Ro is no more silly than most of the MOTU names.
    gotta disagree a bit, He-ro as they presented it to us is sillier than He-man because with the hyphen in he-ro you are implied to stress the HE so it's HE-ro where as He-man is intended to be pronounced a little smoother (from the original term he-man) if they just called him Hero it wouldn't feel as silly IMO in fact they could have made a nice story to explain how he got that name.

after his first appearance fighting a big fight and saving a village, he can disappear without anyone learning who he is, people will say who was he, what was his name, and someone could say something along the lines of we may not know who he really is, but he'll forever be known as hero. I could really see a mini comic ending on that note. similar to the story where (i don't know where it's from) that said he-man would be named by his enemies. He-ro is kind of forced, just like she-ra's original name He-Ra **shudder**

anyway witht he other MOTU names they kind of fit in since He-Man set the bar for names Beastman, Spikor, Ram Man etc don't feel out of place, but He-ro and He-ra (thank goodness they didn't get to use that one) were forcing the concepts. in my opinion at least
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    but then we're also talking classic canon VS new canon, so it's kind of hard to say one over the other.
    I very much agree.

But I voted so I went with King Grayskull simply because He-Man is THE MAN and I'm not cool with bringing in someone more powerful than him. If He-Ro were JUST the most powerful wizard in the universe I could PROBABLY let that slide, but having him have magic power AND He-Man's strength makes me not like the story so much.

But I do feel like it's toy-collector-torchure knowing that we were as close as we were to getting He-Ro and Eldor figures and REALLY would love them as well.

I LOVED the "Powers Of Grayskull" episode and am still dying for a King Grayskull figure or staction.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    gotta disagree a bit, He-ro as they presented it to us is sillier than He-man because with the hyphen in he-ro you are implied to stress the HE so it's HE-ro where as He-man is intended to be pronounced a little smoother (from the original term he-man) if they just called him Hero it wouldn't feel as silly IMO in fact they could have made a nice story to explain how he got that name.

after his first appearance fighting a big fight and saving a village, he can disappear without anyone learning who he is, people will say who was he, what was his name, and someone could say something along the lines of we may not know who he really is, but he'll forever be known as hero. I could really see a mini comic ending on that note. similar to the story where (i don't know where it's from) that said he-man would be named by his enemies. He-ro is kind of forced, just like she-ra's original name He-Ra **shudder**

anyway witht he other MOTU names they kind of fit in since He-Man set the bar for names Beastman, Spikor, Ram Man etc don't feel out of place, but He-ro and He-ra (thank goodness they didn't get to use that one) were forcing the concepts. in my opinion at least
    Well.... it makes perfect sense if they wanted him to be referred to as caviar... or if maybe if they wanted him to be synonymous with getting around fast in the water. For the latter case, imagine him kicking the snot out of some villains and then rushing off in his boat. The first guys says, "man, i wonder who he is!" The second guy says, "he rows fast". This leads to a misunderstanding and his current name.

A big fan of Slush Head
    He-Ro never been a big King Grayskull fan.
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    I can't decide between the two. They're both equally interesting and I too think that both can exist in the MotU mythos.
    Exactly, why can't they both be ancestors of Adam / He-man?
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Evil Snake General General_Rattlor's Avatar
    King Grayskull all the way. I think the action figure and the character of He-Ro are as interesting and creative as his name.

I maintain that King Grayskull could work as something other than He-Man version 0. I like him in the sense that he could bring the barbarian He-Man origin into continuity with the Prince Adam/He-Man. But I think he very much needs to be distinguished from He-Man. Things like Battle Lion make that very hard, I admit. I think there just need to be more differences in their personalities and exploits.

I think He-Ro was designed to be a protagonist of his own while KG was designed only as an historical figure in He-Man's world. I love the idea of He-Ro as KG's son, however I didn't like the way the Council of Elders was created by KG--nor did I like the Council of Elders handing the crown to Randor instead of doing that to an ancestor of his in the distant past. He-Ro coming after KG also means that He-Ro wasn't there when Hordak helped build the Three Towers (since Hordak was already an evil mofo during KG's time and was banished at the end of the fight), while I had been under the impression that that was supposed to happen in his lifetime.

I want a continuity that makes use of all three of them. I don't see it as new canon vs old canon deal, and think that's a very polarizing way to look at it because they are all parts of Masters of the Universe now. I don't think it's as exclusive as Evelyn Powers vs the Faceless One, or the Tale of Teela vs Teela's Quest origins. I think He-Man, He-Ro, and King Grayskull can all exist in the same continuity without any of them cheapening the other. He-Man as the destined champion, He-Ro as the architect of his legacy, and King Grayskull as the mythic great-grandfather of it all. Kind of like Cronos, Zeus, and Herakles (or Uranus, Cronos, and Zeus). I still think that could have been possible in the 200X era stuff too if Mattel had been willing to include He-Ro.
    Last edited by gbagok; August 2, 2007 at 08:11pm.

He-Ro looks like a froot. Nice parted hair and golden head band. At least King Grayskull has a barbaric look to him.
    MOTU IS DEAD.....LONG LIVE MOTU

Defender of the Elders Red Trinity's Avatar
    I have zero love for King Grayskull. He-Ro all the way!

He-Ro All the Way!!!
    I would LOVE to see He-Ro as Staction!! You should see the Idea They ahd in Mind for Him, judging by the Re-designed He-Ro that Emiliano did!!
    King Greyskull is nice, but nothing more.........He-Man is way better then He!
    Pammy is the Greatest ans Most Beautyfull Girl off all Times.....whitout a Doubt.

Co-Creator of the NV
    Where is the re-designed He-Ro that Emiliano did?

Personally, I think the old design was frightfully ugly,but I like the character concept. Plus, since he was never really fully portrayed in a cartoon/comic (not counting the one mini-comic where he briefly shows up), there is a lot more mystery to him, whereas the KG episode of MYP pretty much told us all we need to know. I am really interested in the mystery behind the character and all the unexplored potential.

There was a pic in a Toy Fare Mag a few Years ago, don´t remember where I saw it but it looked very Good!
    Pammy is the Greatest ans Most Beautyfull Girl off all Times.....whitout a Doubt.

The New Adventures of Ion HeManOfGreyskull's Avatar
    All Hail the King.

He-Ro has what, one minicomic appearance in the shadows? Not much to base liking him on.
    Rob
    Captain Picard:So...five card stud, nothing wild...and the sky's the limit.

I still dont understand the camp that says KG cheapons he-man. But wahtever... King Grayskull baby!
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Neither. They are both strangers to me. Before we delve into replacemnts for He-Man (one in the past, the other in the future), how about we all spend more energy digging deeper into finding out about who He-Man is.

One of the things lacking with the 200X version of MoTU is that He-man was just a shell of a character. Before we get to meet "He-Man past" and "He-Man future", how about we do some damage control and change the perception of the leader of the heroes so that he is one of the most liked characters, not one of the least.

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Boy View Post
    Neither. They are both strangers to me. Before we delve into replacemnts for He-Man (one in the past, the other in the future), how about we all spend more energy digging deeper into finding out about who He-Man is.
    Both of the characters in this poll are from the past. This He-Ro isn't connected to the series bible that Scheimer came up with in the mid 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    Both of the characters in this poll are from the past. This He-Ro isn't connected to the series bible that Scheimer came up with in the mid 90's.
    Hmmm... so it seems. I prefer this notion of him better, but my initial comment still stands.

Why would He-Ro have a staff and He-Man have Grayskull's sword? Wouldn't the sword be passed down to everyone? I am not against the idea of different "He-Man's" for each troubled period in Eternias History, but it is way too soon to replace He-Man as the star of MoTU as we know it. I am even all for flashback episodes, even time travel episodes where He-Man fights alongside Grayskull and/or He-Ro.

I do think that the way Grayskull was presented made He-Man look less special.

He-Ro all the way! It was a cool idea for a unique character from Eternia's past. He had his own powers, look, and a history defending Grayskull from his own villainous threats. (Plus freaking robot armored Dinosaurs!) King Grayskull is about as uncreative as you can get, He looks exactly like He-Man but bigger, he has the same powers as He-Man, and he rides a giant green Lion. He's just He-Man enlarged by 20%, He-Man is already awesome we don't need a giant He-Man.

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Boy View Post
    Hmmm... so it seems. I prefer this notion of him better, but my initial comment still stands.

Why would He-Ro have a staff and He-Man have Grayskull's sword? Wouldn't the sword be passed down to everyone? I am not against the idea of different "He-Man's" for each troubled period in Eternias History, but it is way too soon to replace He-Man as the star of MoTU as we know it. I am even all for flashback episodes, even time travel episodes where He-Man fights alongside Grayskull and/or He-Ro.

I do think that the way Grayskull was presented made He-Man look less special.
    Well, the original He-Ro was an idea that was to follow up the original MOTU line. Back then, after 130 episodes and countless toys, it was ripe to go onto something new. At this point though, I agree that we would need to rebuild MOTU from the start and properly develop the property and characters before we retire them and move onto a new character.

As for why it went from a staff to a sword.... i actually have no idea. Don't even know if it was every spoken about elsewhere.

When it comes to my general views on King Grayskull, I think that it actually helped to enrich the MOTU universe. It gave He-Man a richer lineage that he hadn't had in the past. Sure he is similar to He-Man in a lot of ways, but Tim Drake followed in the footsteps of D. Grayson and he isn't lessened by Grayson's existence. Furthermore, in the end, He-Man would prove himself to be superior to KG because unlike KG, he would be able to beat Hordak and not die in the process (I imagine that would be how season 3 ends).

Hmmmm... I like your thoughts. I'm sure, if handled properly, I could learn to love them too. I suppose I was cautious with MYP introducing Grayskull because they butchered so many existing characters.

I agree that in the 80s, we were ready for a new He-Ro (pardon the pun), but Mattel's approach back them was too removed from the He-Man we knew. You can't just discard the main character and start afresh. That's why she-ra worked so well. She was introduced as a main character, but he-man wasn't removed from the picture - infact, he visited often. And that's also why Hordak worked so well - not only was he linked to the existing storyline well, but he didn't replace Skeletor.

Drop the Zero and vote for the He-Ro! :helol:

THE DEMON KEY - Skelepimp Mini-Comic

Skelepimp Commissions are only a PM away....

Quote Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
    He-Ro all the way! It was a cool idea for a unique character from Eternia's past. He had his own powers, look, and a history defending Grayskull from his own villainous threats. (Plus freaking robot armored Dinosaurs!)
    Let's add something to the debate
    I always got the impression, that by the time He-Ro received his powers, Grasykull hadn't been built yet.
    I'm sure it says somewhere that the three towers are older than Grayskull.
    That would mean, that, somehow, it was He-Ro bulding the castle at some point...