Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: He-Ro vs King Grayskull

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Waiting on how some things pan out.
    Which things would those be?

The New Adventures of Ion HeManOfGreyskull's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    To me Keldor is obviously a descendent of Grayskull.
    And that's what makes Skeletor even more dangerous...
    He may "have the power"!

Ian Richter revealed in the Q&A a while back, so if anyone missed that . Keldor has the same father as Randor, so I think the thinking behind the idea was that Skeletor would be able to usurp the power of his bloodline from Adam if ever got near the Crystal Orb.
    Rob
    Captain Picard:So...five card stud, nothing wild...and the sky's the limit.

Heroic Warrior
    He-Ro is cool and all but I think King Grayskull makes more sense. I am pretty sure He-Ro would have been introduced eventually, wasn't he in the MVC comic on a tapestry in the castle at one point fighting the Snakemen? I believe I saw that.

Also, the castle was never given an origin in the new story. Only the power itself. We do know that Grayskull was the ruler of a kingdom, and that the castle was his home.

Sorceress: "Your ancestor. King Grayskull. (This Castle) Was once his, the very seat of his kingdom."

It never says he built it. But I don't know why it would bear his name if he was not the founder of the castle. Plus...it did look all "new and shiny" in the episode. So I am sure he built it.

Also, I doubt He-Ro would have any connection to Grayskull at all. If you are going by old continuity, and such from old bibles...didn't the original story for He-Ro mention him summoning his power from "Magic and Heart"?? Or something along those lines?

I'm happy with King Grayskull being the source of He-man, and -that- power. I believe He-Ro would have been something separate altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyGuy View Post
    Also, I doubt He-Ro would have any connection to Grayskull at all. If you are going by old continuity, and such from old bibles...didn't the original story for He-Ro mention him summoning his power from "Magic and Heart"?? Or something along those lines?

Oh no, He-Ro has more connection to Grayskull than you think...
    In the old continuity he was the origin of the power of Grasykull
    Withtout revealing too much, just go by logic: if the power and the castle had yet to be created, it's obvious that He-Ro cannot summon his power from "Grayskull" yet.

Heroic Warrior
    I just got done watching "The Power of Grayskull". At the end Grayskull says:

(to the Elders)"When I am gone my power will fill you, use it wisely. My sword will reside in Castle Grayskull until the day evil returns. And by my name a great hero will be born."

He dies, his power creates the Elders/Council. The rest of his power goes into the sword. To me, it's pretty much spelled out that this is the origin of modern day He-Man's power.

I am guessing that He-Ro was around before this, and had natural strength like King Grayskull did?

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyGuy View Post
    I just got done watching "The Power of Grayskull". At the end Grayskull says:

(to the Elders)"When I am gone my power will fill you, use it wisely. My sword will reside in Castle Grayskull until the day evil returns. And by my name a great hero will be born."

He dies, his power creates the Elders/Council. The rest of his power goes into the sword. To me, it's pretty much spelled out that this is the origin of modern day He-Man's power.

I am guessing that He-Ro was around before this, and had natural strength like King Grayskull did?
    I was talking strictly about the classic continuity
    Our plans for the comics didn't match what you saw in the comics, our continuties were going to diverge at some point.

Aww man! I've just read a few pages and found out for sure that Randor and Keldor are brothers!!!

Nah! That ain't cool in my book. Far too contrived if you ask me!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Heroic Warrior
    I was talking strictly about the classic continuity
    Our plans for the comics didn't match what you saw in the comics, our continuties were going to diverge at some point.
    Oh I remember that! I had forgotten the plan was to split to a different continuity at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    In which of the over 328 posts is this information?
    You can read right?
    You want the info? You go find it!

But Emiliano confirmed this as well so you can continue in your laziness.

(I am just teasing you, I don't mean to be too... Mean. )
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    You can read right?
    You want the info? You go find it!
    If you had read the "Mattel Panel at San Diego Comic Con 2007" thread, then you would know that information:

But if you've read through the San Diego panel thread you would have that info.

If you had read the "Mattel Panel at San Diego Comic Con 2007" thread, then you would know that information:

What you think by ribbing me about it is going to make me go find it for you?

Nice try.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw

What you think by ribbing me about it is going to make me go find it for you?

Nice try.
    I am more than capable of finding the information, I am simply suggesting that you be willing to do what it is that you propose others do.

I am more than capable of finding the information, I am simply suggesting that you be willing to do what it is that you propose others do.
    It was in there.
    I read it in there.
    It's possible someone edited their post? I don't know, but I didn't just pull it outa my ***.

It was either LFE, HMoG, Cowboy, or O'hartley that posted the info.

I think O'hartley was the one that chatted some with Ian backstage?

I'm plenty willing to look. I don't tell others to do what I don't already do.
    I looked, and sure enough it isn't there anymore. The plot thickens.
    I also noticed a lot of the posts that I thought it would be in have been edited.

So we'll have to ask those guys.

O'hartley?
    HMoGrayskull?
    LFE?

Keldor being an heir of Grayskull where did that come from?
    Last edited by Baena; August 8, 2007 at 06:12pm.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    He-Ro, for two important reasons:

1. He is a very distinct character from He-Man, with different abilities, different appearance, and a setting with more possibilites than we saw with Grayskull. THere seemed more thought in the basic concepts of Pre-Eternia, and the story possibilities seem greater. From the description of the character, there was built in conflict and mystery completely absent from King Grayskull.

2. King Grayskull's existence takes away enormously from He-Man; our champion of Grayskull is a pale version of the mythic king. They went too far in making Grayskull the ultimate warrior king, and thus diminished He-Man the moment Grayskull was introduced. With He-Ro, we are told he was a bit less mature at the outset; certainly, he would doubtless have gained maturity as time went on, but I see the seeds of a character there who could be significantly different than He-Man in temperment and outlook. And while He-Man was more the powerful warrior, He-Ro was a wizard, and with his tag line of "the most powerful wizard in the universe," one has to assume he would rely on more magic than strength. In other words, He-Ro and He-Man would have had enough differences to compliment one another without the elder hero overshadowing the modern warrior.
    Last edited by scott metzger; August 8, 2007 at 06:51pm.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Re: Randor/Keldor, etc.

Ian revealed it in his Q&A a looooooonnnnnggggg time ago, the board already wacked out about that and got it out of our system. I've got the Q/A saved on my hard drive in my MOTU folder, and checked it to confirm before I wrote my last post up in this thread. So we've been aware of that for over a year maybe?

And PrinceAdam, there's a search feature I'm sure you could spend ten seconds typing Randor, Keldor, brothers to get the info you're asking Baena to get for you
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by HeManOfGreyskull View Post
    Ian revealed it in his Q&A a looooooonnnnnggggg time ago, the board already wacked out about that and got it out of our system. I've got the Q/A saved on my hard drive in my MOTU folder, and checked it to confirm before I wrote my last post up in this thread. So we've been aware of that for over a year maybe?
    If you have the information, then post it.

And PrinceAdam, there's a search feature I'm sure you could spend ten seconds typing Randor, Keldor, brothers to get the info you're asking Baena to get for you
    If you had spent ten seconds reading the post to which you are addressing, then you would know that my statement is a reproval of his behavior, and not a request for information.

Heroic Warrior
    It was in there.
    I read it in there.
    It's possible someone edited their post? I don't know, but I didn't just pull it outa my ***.

It was either LFE, HMoG, Cowboy, or O'hartley that posted the info.

I think O'hartley was the one that chatted some with Ian backstage?

I'm plenty willing to look. I don't tell others to do what I don't already do.
    I looked, and sure enough it isn't there anymore. The plot thickens.
    I also noticed a lot of the posts that I thought it would be in have been edited.

So we'll have to ask those guys.

O'hartley?
    HMoGrayskull?
    LFE?

Keldor being an heir of Grayskull where did that come from?
    Hey gang,

Just thought I'd log in so I could weigh in on this topic.

I don't know where that statement came from about the Keldor/Randor Brothers thing.

I was in the SDCC panel and that wasn't ever mentioned as far as I remember (I was pretty thorough with my recounting of the event) And that would have been something I would have remembered. Hmm.

EDIT: Okay I guess this information was released a long time ago? I don't like that idea of Keldor being He-Man's uncle. It's so contrived! I think it puts a damper on the whole "mortal enemies" thing. It makes me think of Skeletor in a bad light. And not in a villainous light either. More of a "shame on you, loser" type of thing. I hope it isn't true. Lame.
    Last edited by CowboyGuy; August 8, 2007 at 11:23pm.

Fresh off my copy of the Ian Richter Q & A from a while back:

57. Now, I know Skeletor's origin was partly explained in the pilot episode, but we were told that the "second part" of his origin was to come at the end of season 1. Then we were told it would come in season 2. Was the second part of his origin in the episode "The Price of Deceit", or was there more (I'm sure there was more ). And if there was more, is it possible to divulge any info?

IR: Get ready for this: RANDOR AND SKELETOR ARE BROTHERS. This was always the plan. They have different mothers, but the same father! I was disappointed we never got to finally do this.
    Rob

Fresh off my copy of the Ian Richter Q & A from a while back:
    That Randor and Keldor are brothers is not in question. Incidentally, this confirms my initial post, that Randor and Keldor share the same father, but have different mothers. What is in question is whether it was revealed at the SDCC panel that Keldor is also a descendant of Grayskull. Emiliano confirmed that it was intended for Keldor to be a descendant of Grayskull in the comic book, but he also noted that the continuity of the comic book was to diverge from that of the television show. Which brings us back to square one.

Emiliano confirmed that it was intended for Keldor to be a descendant of Grayskull in the comic book, but he also noted that the continuity of the comic book was to diverge from that of the television show. Which brings us back to square one.
    Nope, I confirmed what was reported Ian said at the con because it seemed logical to me, I didn't say what was the back story or what were our plans for the comics.
    Of course I wasn't there, so I cannot confirm he actually said that, I'm just trusting who has posted the info.

And since we always knew Randor and Keldor were brothers, and we knew that since the classic series, it just seemed pretty obvious and logical to me the Keldor was related to Grayskull too, I don't see why we still debate on that
    Again, that has nothing to do with our comic though, that's my guess as a fan.

Co-Creator of the NV
    Nope, I confirmed what was reported Ian said at the con because it seemed logical to me, I didn't say what was the back story or what were our plans for the comics.
    Of course I wasn't there, so I cannot confirm he actually said that, I'm just trusting who has posted the info.

And since we always knew Randor and Keldor were brothers, and we knew that since the classic series, it just seemed pretty obvious and logical to me the Keldor was related to Grayskull too, I don't see why we still debate on that
    Again, that has nothing to do with our comic though, that's my guess as a fan.
    I think that people tend to assume that Keldor is related to KG, but as Adam said, we can't be sure since it is possible that the relation is through Marlena.

I think that if asked, the people concerned would say that the relation comes through Randor, however as of yet it hasn't been explicitly stated.

I like that Skeletor is a descendant of Grayskull idea. Because it means that despite the incrediblly power evil of both King Hiss and Hordak, Skeletor is the one villain who really poses the most threat.

umm, it was just explicitaly stated by the Mattel guy who worked on the MYP show: Keldor/Skeletor is Randor's Half-Brother, hence the hate he has for Randor even before the face-burning. It also explains why in "The Last Stand" he comments to Adam "like father like son." He knows Adam is his nephew, but Adam isn't clued in on it yet.
    It also explains why Keldor wanted the Power of the Council of Elders: He must have known it's his birthright, even if Randor wasn't in on the lineage thing. And since Keldor's got Grayskull's blood, chances are he could have usurped the power, and that's why the Elders had to go into hiding: they knew they had to wait for Adam to claim the Power Sword and not let Keldor gain it, considering how close he'd just gotten to them.

And Adam: I honestly dont remember if it got stated at the panel, cause if they said it, since I was already in the know, I probably missed it. I was more trying to pay attention to stuff that was being newly discussed, like the death of the Sorceress, the acension of Teela, etc.
    Last edited by HeManOfGreyskull; August 9, 2007 at 01:08am.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by o'hartley View Post
    This time I'm going for King Grayskull.

you said you prefer he-ro when you were in town and now you just changed your mind just like that

HE-RO all the way for me Baby!

though king grayskull is cool, but classic rocks!
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

Co-Creator of the NV
    I can't understand why people keep on saying that Keldor is a threat because he is related to Grayskull.

Randor has NO special powers because of it. Adam has NO special powers because of it. The only reason why Adam gets special powers is because the Sorceress GAVE them to Adam. There is no reason to think that she could not have given them to someone else, and we have yet to see anything that implies that Adam could have just forced her to give him them because of his relation to KG. Cringer, who is in no way related to Grayskull (i hope) is given special powers, which implies that it is possible to get powers from Castle Grayskull without having any relation to KG.

And HeManOfGreyskull, nothing you just said proves that Keldor is related to KG.

You stated these facts:
    1) Keldor is Randor's half brother
    2) That explains why Keldor wants the power of the Elders
    3) Keldor is more likely to be able to usurp the power because of his tie to KG.

1 is correct.

2 is pure supposition. It can also be because the power of the Elders is the greatest power on Eternia and Keldor wants as much power as possible.

3 is also supposition because I don't think we have ever seen anything that states that only a descendant of KG can wield the power of Grayskull (after all, Cringer has some power bestowed upon him). Furthermore, we have never seen someone with the KG lineage usurp the power either. You're just assuming that it is easier for a person of the KG lineage to control the power of Grayskull, which isn't true.