A very quiet thread last week looking at Multi-Bot - maybe everyone is like me in feeling that it's just a so-so milking of the Modulok concept.

Anyway, it's been quite a while since there was a Snakeman review, so this week, let's turn our attentions towards that spring-necked villain, RATTLOR.

(As I seem to say about a lot of the figures lately), I didn't originally have a Rattlor figure as a kid, but I got not one but two of them in with a large lot that I won on e-bay when I started re-collecting the line 'seriously'.

Rattlor actually has two gimmicks. If you shake him, he produces a rattling sound. But the biggest feature is, if you push a concealed button underneath his tail, his head springs forward.

I could never quite make up my mind about the vintage Rattlor figure. He looked okay, and I liked his colour scheme, but at the same time, his legs looked very short and stubby where his body was big enough to contain his concealed neck. At first I wasn't too keen on his face, but it grew on me.

There is also a well known variation that has a red neck, to match the head and body, instead of the more common yellow. I won one of these figures off of eBay last year - the seller obviously didn't realise what it was and didn't promote it as a variant, allowing me to get it for a really good price.

The Snake Men were released after the Filmation cartoon series had finished, but like Tung Lashor, Rattlor was adapted to be a member of the Horde in 'She-Ra: Princess of Power'. He only looked vaguely like the figure, and was really stupid. He only appeared in the cartoon on a couple of occasions though, with Tung Lashor appearing more regularly.

Rattlor was updated for both the 200x revamp line, and accompanying Mike Young Productions cartoon series. His packaging was changed to 'The General' (name ownership complications as with Fisto?), and is generally (no pun intended) referred to as General Rattlor.

I really liked how the character was updated. As I have said in King Kiss' review thread, I somehow never could identify with Hiss being the leader of the Snake Men. With the 200x revamp, Rattlor is more of a General leader, with King Hssss (new spelling) as a sort of Snake Man idol. I loved how they beefed Rattlor up.

The new figure version gave him armor, which was great (almost looking like a Snake version of He-Man's classic armor), although at the same time detracted from his bold design - but that was okay, as you could simply remove the armor.
The head was okay, although to me looked slightly dog-like!
The features - the rattle and the striking neck - are the same as the vintage version, although this time the rattle comes from the tail, which makes sense, but at the same time doesn't give off such a good rattle as the vintage version.

All-in-all... I was never too much into the Snake Men, preferring the line's origins when it was a battle between He-Man and Skeletor. But I've grown to quite like Rattlor, enough to give the vintage figure a reasonable 8 out of 10.

So that’s what I think of Rattlor.
Now I'd like to hear your own thoughts, comments, memories, criticisms, or anything else to do with Rattlor. And as always, whether you post or not, don't forget to rate the vintage figure in the poll!!