Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Batman: The Animated Series

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    On Leather Wings did not air in August in my neighborhood. The first episode to air was The Cat and the Claw Pt 1. I did not see On Leather Wings until it was closer to Halloween.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    I've heard many different things over the years about who saw what episodes first...I've wondered if some affiliates didn't always show the same things. I'm pretty sure the first episode I ever saw was "Heart of Ice", for what it's worth.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

I too saw on Leather wings first. it aired sunday night at 7:30 I remember VIVIDLY as I paid attention to EVERY commerical leading up to the series premire, even taped them and watched repeatedly. Had arguments with friends who hated the art style and I said it allows them to do better animation lol. what I don't recall is if the series started that week or if they showed cat and the claw pt 1 the next sunday and then the series started the following monday (that's what I THINK happened) I remember having to wait a week for another episode after on leather wings. and then when cat and the claw came out i was a bt disappointed as the animation wasn't even CLOSE to on leather wings.
    Last edited by krosfyah; September 12, 2012 at 10:27am.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

According to the air dates in my BTAS book, The Cat and the Claw Pt 1 aired on Sat Sept 5th (I think it was around 10:30AM when my Fox aired it, I know because I watched it) and then it says On Leather Wings aired on Sun Sept 6th in the evening (which I did not see), and then Heart of Ice premiered on Monday Sept 7th (and if I recall, that was on at 5:30PM).
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    According to the air dates in my BTAS book, The Cat and the Claw Pt 1 aired on Sat Sept 5th (I think it was around 10:30AM when my Fox aired it, I know because I watched it) and then it says On Leather Wings aired on Sun Sept 6th in the evening (which I did not see), and then Heart of Ice premiered on Monday Sept 7th (and if I recall, that was on at 5:30PM).
    I guess like any syndicated show the networks that aired it did their own thing, BUT I do remember a one time saturday morning airing of the show too. but I saw on leather wings first.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    That seems right to me - that would have been Labor Day weekend, as I recall. I vividly remember being down the shore, in the late afternoon/evening, when I saw Heart of Ice, so I guess for whatever reason I missed the first two airings.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

If memory serves me, and it doesn't always, I remember seeing Feat of Clay in prime time and On Leather Wings after school but I'm not sure which I saw first. The prime time episode came on a Sunday night in 1992, I think before the Simpsons. At least I think the Simpsons were no longer on Thursday nights at that time.
    A journey that began long ago in a place neither near nor far…
    A story of heroes, passed down through the ages…
    Until now.
    This is our story. These are our heroes…

Quote Originally Posted by Piccolo Daimaoh View Post
    If memory serves me, and it doesn't always, I remember seeing Feat of Clay in prime time and On Leather Wings after school but I'm not sure which I saw first. The prime time episode came on a Sunday night in 1992, I think before the Simpsons. At least I think the Simpsons were no longer on Thursday nights at that time.
    No, Simpsons did not go to Sunday nights until Season 6, which was 94-95.

My first exposure to the show in my country was "On leather wings" , I still remember that ; I think that was the first episode to air on cable tv all over europe ! and it makes sense to me , it was basically the story of a man-bat

oh gosh, unfortunately warner home video never completed to distribute season 3 and 4 in Europe, so I had to buy region1 dvds to complete my TAS collection
    "The most powerful man in the universe..."
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "Where hope seems lost..."
    "A hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."

No, Simpsons did not go to Sunday nights until Season 6, which was 94-95.
    Wow, really? I thought it was earlier. Well I guess Batman came on then Married with Children. How's that for a culture clash.
    Until now.

Heroic Warrior
    The first actual episode to air on weekday and saturday was Cat and The Claw

Not a bad way to introduce my comic book dreamgirl Catwoman to the show and when i was 11 i noticed that Selina Kyle looks just like Michelle Pfeifer as if they were trying to tie in with the burton movies of the time but fusing the comics together even Penguin looks like Danny Devito's version.

Who else thought Adrienne Barbeau was perfection as Catwoman/Selina Kyle? i do and Barbeau is one of my boyhood crushes since i watched Swamp Thing and Creepshow on video at age 4, i looked at the credits of every episode on tape to see who stars and boy what stars they put on the show.

Anyone else thinks RedClaw is a rip-off of Baroness on GI Joe?
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

I recently picked up the reissue of the TAS soundtrack from La La Land Records. The also recently released a Vol. 2 set.

Heroic Warrior

My 7th fave episode as to me it's one episode put together seperately and features my fave villain besides Joker.

Ron Perlman was perfection as Clayface/Matt Hagen, who agrees? i never knew it was him until i saw the credits at the end of the episode when i taped it as he's always been one of my fave actors ever. Ed Asner was terrific as always as the corporate greaseball Dagget and Ed Begley Jr. did a nice role in it despite he played Charlie Collins in Joker's Favor. TMS did awesome animation as usual as Bruce Timm is a fan of Japanese animation since he saw Akira when it came out here in the states 23 years ago and i could see why he chose that movie's studio for the episode since Clayface is much like Tetsuo's mutation in some ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I recently picked up the reissue of the TAS soundtrack from La La Land Records. The also recently released a Vol. 2 set.
    Does it have the blues music from The Forgotten on it?

I don't think so.

Heroic Warrior
    In the next volume Kain maybe, i love that music in that episode.

Who else loves The Forgotten? my fave episode as i mentioned and who else agrees with me that Boss Biggus reminds anyone of b-movie actor Pat Ryan Jr. and his two evil fat slob villains from the cult classics The Toxic Avenger and Street Trash? i always thought so.

Almost Got Em my second fave episode ever and everyone knows this one. This episode brings back memories as when i was 11 me with my bigger brother who was 20 and my mom watched it with me, we all laughed at Croc's talk about rocks including the baddies looking all stoned at Croc after what he said but we all loved the episode. However i don't think it's true that hummingbirds are poisonus it's totally false and it was so intense when Catwoman was almost grinded into cat-chow but luckily everyone's hero saved his gal pal.

I have to say Almost Got 'Em is a guilty pleasure, not just one of the best Batman TAS episodes but one of the best superhero shows period. It's presented as a clip show but with all new animation. The animation was extremely high quality, possibly Don Yang or TMS or even Sunrise. It also has all of the top villains from arguably the best rogues gallery in all of comics all in one episode giving the Dark Knight their best. Even having Catwoman fighting Harley Quinn. This is a bench mark in tv shows about superheroes. If I wanted to show someone an episode of this series just to give them a taste of the level of quality they can expect I would show them Almost Got 'Em.
    Until now.

Heroic Warrior
    Say Piccolo, which version of Selina do you prefer and think is more gorgeous?

Selina_captured.jpg
    Blonde?

Selina_basks_in_her_success.jpg
    Brunette?

For me it's a tie for i adore them both and adore her no matter what Selina looks like, like i said she has been my comic character crush for 23 years and doesn't matter. Blonde is prettier as she looks like a 50's playboy centerfold don't you agree and that brunette with new piercing blue eyes looks like Natassa Kinski from 1982's Cat People? oh man Cult of the Cat is one of my favorite episodes and that's the one with the picture of her in her nightclothes basking in her success, i was 17 when i saw that episode and remembered saying "Hot damn she looks fine", lol.

I always noticed when i first saw Cat and The Claw that Selina was blonde suddenly, i guess it must have been a sort of tie-in with the movies at the time as afterall they say blockbusters make animated shows and this show is proof since it's based on both the Burton films and comics they had to tie it in to make a combo with elements of Burton's films from Selina and Penguin's designs to Jack Napier to designs and all that.

My 4th fave episode! who else loves this one? it introduces another gotham babe known as Harley Quinn who became a fan fave and the music is very memorable i should say as it sticks in your head after you watch that episode with it's kooky soundtrack that turns circusy then jazzy suddenly plus it was the first episode to put Joker there. Anyone else thought Charlie Collins looks like actor Roy Brocksmith from Total Recall (1990), Archnophobia, Tango and Cash, Tales from The Crypt episodes and all those? i always did thought he bore a resemblance to him.

Ah yes my 6th fave episode ever as it's one episode that is separated as a 2 parter. It introduced us to the episode's title villain and i knew Two-Face would be there as he is one of my fave Batman villains, who else thinks TMS kicks a$$ at animation? they always do such great works of TV animation even in animated films like Little Nemo Adventures in Slumberland to Akira to even shows like Tiny Toons to Animaniacs with more.

Who else thought Richard Moll was perfect as the voice of Two-Face/Harvey Dent? we 80s kids know him as Bull on Nightcourt and Ben from House (1986) and i'm sure Bruce Timm loved that movie so much he decided to use Moll to do his Ben voice for the character. His fiancee is quite cute i should say and i felt very bad about Two-Face on what he has been going through as Harvey tries to fight back. John Vernon was quality as Rupert Thorne and i known him since i saw Ernest Goes to Camp and Killer Klowns from Outer Space in theaters as a kid and he's been one of my fave character actors ever. Moll also plays the voice of the bat-computer if you didn't noticed.

Crappy episode i should say and nothing but Home Alone guest starring Batman and Penguin. But it should have been a better way to introduce the underrated baddie, but when anyone first saw this debut episode of Penguin did anyone notice his resemblance to Devito's version? i always did and noticed another connection to the movies, afterall WB forced Timm to make Penguin look like Devito's version but in the 4th and 5th seasons on WB they went back to the original designs. But anyone else thought Paul Williams was awesome as Penguin? i never knew it was him until the credits as i knew it's that singer.

- - - Updated - - -

Who else loves this episode?

My 10th fave episode ever and did anyone noticed Nitro is voiced by the same guy who did the Weasle on Roger Rabbit?

Ah, that's a tough one. I guess in the Batman TAS world I like the blonde Selina Kyle. I wasn't a fan of the black haired Selina Kyle really until Adam Hughes started drawing her. In fairness he also makes her look like Audrey Hepburn, or a curvy Audrey Hepburn.

Yes, Richard Moll was perfect as Harvey Dent/Two-Face. I watched The Dark Knight Returns Part I last night and as awesome as it looks and as great as the animation was I kept expecting to hear the voices from Batman TAS coming out of the characters mouths. But, to be honest, I think Peter Weller did a great job as Bruce Wayne.
    Until now.

Heroic Warrior
    Ah, that's a tough one. I guess in the Batman TAS world I like the blonde Selina Kyle. I wasn't a fan of the black haired Selina Kyle really until Adam Hughes started drawing her. In fairness he also makes her look like Audrey Hepburn, or a curvy Audrey Hepburn.

Yes, Richard Moll was perfect as Harvey Dent/Two-Face. I watched The Dark Knight Returns Part I last night and as awesome as it looks and as great as the animation was I kept expecting to hear the voices from Batman TAS coming out of the characters mouths. But, to be honest, I think Peter Weller did a great job as Bruce Wayne.
    Oh i can't wait to get that movie on blu-ray this tuesday cause i've been a fan of that graphic novel since junior high and should be as good as any DC animated movie. Peter Weller seems like a nice choice for Bats and did you know for 89's movie they wanted Weller before Keaton came along? and Piccolo, isn't it amazing how Bruce Timm draws lovely ladies in animation like Catwoman, Ivy, Harley, Talia and more? he's an artist and a great animation maker.

Who remembers this episode? ok but Akom really sucks at animation and this was the last one as no wonder Timm fired them after this. But who remembers when Catwoman was burning up from the cat bite that Batman felt her forehead and said "Your hot" then she said "Now you noticed"? when i saw that scene when i was young i said "No kidding she's hot" lol. Does the title remind anyone of that classic song and who thought Treat Williams was terrific as Professor Milo as he even looks like an evil version of Moe?

Ah yes, Pretty Poison is the debut of the lovely Poison Ivy and i knew one of my boyhood comic character crushes would make it to the show and she was more femme fatale here as usual. Does Eternal Youth remind anyone of the movie Troll 2? i do i mean it has the same thing about wicked people who trap tourists in a place where they eat and drink stuff then turn them into plants. I rented that movie the same time i saw this episode and noticed how they are alike.

Who loves this episode? one of my fave episodes of all time, that music score has always been in my memory for a long time and it's a very memorable one. Gotta love that cool robot Captain Clown and Joker utters his immortal line which i used as one of my signatures. Joker gives us so much damn memorable quotes it's not even funny.

Heroic Warrior
    The music was really good I just saw it on amazon.com but 99.99 wow 4 cd set I hope for that price its complete.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by scroogemcd77 View Post
    The music was really good I just saw it on amazon.com but 99.99 wow 4 cd set I hope for that price its complete.
    I saw a bootleg of that cd at Baltimore Comic-Con for $40

Heroic Warrior

Did you think Moll was doing his Big Ben from House voice as Two-Face? i always thought so. It's fantastic how Bruce Timm knows how to make foxy animated ladies like Catwoman, Ivy, Harley, Talia and more you have to admit Piccollo.

Quote Originally Posted by scroogemcd77 View Post
    You can get it on Lala Records for 50 something and got them already.

Ah yes the episode that won an emmy and deserved it too. I loved how they made a campy villain into something serious and i applaud Bruce Timm and Paul Dini for that, the ending made me sad when i was 11 and it's my 6th fave episode ever.

Who else loves these 2 episodes? Be a Clown is fave episode number 33 and Beware of Grey Ghost is fave episide 16 for me. I loved how Adam West was a voice on the Ghost episode as it was nice to see him in another Batman property as he is one of the first Batmen on film/media and i love the idea that GreyGhost is Batman's inspiration/idol for a long time and who thinks he is based on Shadow and Darkwing Duck?

Be a Clown is a terrific episode with Joker as it was an intense one especially with the climax which leaves the audience on the edge of their seats mainly on the rollercoaster sequence which had me tense seeing that and the ending was heart-warming as it makes you go aww.

My mom's fave episode! i remembered she watched it with me and she loved it as it was one of the more adult themed episodes ever and deals with the mob, but anyone else thinks Officer Mooney from Killer Klowns, The Procescutor from Heavy Metal and Dean Wormer is terrific as Thorne?

On Leather Wings was the first BTAS episode they showed in LA. I always thought it was a weird first episode because most shows start with some kind of origin story but they went right into the mythos without much explanation. In retrospect I enjoyed that. Pretty much everyone knows who Batman is.

Almost Got 'Em was great. Personally I loved any episode with Harley in it. My fave is probably the one where she gets received from Arkham and ends up kidnapping Veronica Vreeland.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkid24 View Post
    On Leather Wings was the first BTAS episode they showed in LA. I always thought it was a weird first episode because most shows start with some kind of origin story but they went right into the mythos without much explanation. In retrospect I enjoyed that. Pretty much everyone knows who Batman is.

Almost Got 'Em was great. Personally I loved any episode with Harley in it. My fave is probably the one where she gets received from Arkham and ends up kidnapping Veronica Vreeland.
    Personally On Leather Wings was a great free sample episode before the show aired and gave us a look into the character without using a smiple origin as we all know his origin in comics and the movies at the time. Almost Got Em rules

Who else loves these Havok episodes? i do with Heart of Steel (A single episode to me only seperate) and His Silicon Soul are fave episodes 20 and 21. Candice is a cutie for a fembot no doubt and who loves it that William Sanderson Jr from Blade Runner plays a scientist who is just like his character from that movie? the episodes are heavily inspired by Blade Runner, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Halloween III, 2001 and Terminator 1 & 2.

Who else loves this episode? fave episode number 31 and such a fun episode despite being made by Akom but the writing by Paul Dini is terrific as usual, i like the idea of having a Joker themed casino and all that. Who was surprised Persus from the original Clash of the Titans and Ernie Hudson were voices? and who loved it when Joker trolled Ivy?