Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where does the comic go after He-Man: Eternity War ends??? SPOILERS

Heroic Warrior

Where does the comic go after He-Man: Eternity War ends??? SPOILERS

An excerpt from Jukka's 2nd interview with comic story creator, Rob David.
    http://hemaneternitywar.blogspot.fi/...rob-david.html
    "Couple interviews described "He-Man: the Eternity War" as a "maxi-series". Can you elaborate what does this mean?

A maxi-series is a series with a planned ending, one that's longer than a miniseries, so over six issues. "Crisis on Infinite Earths" and the original "Secret Wars" were both Maxi-Series, for example. "He-Man: the Eternity War" is a big tale with a definite ending ahead.

What happens after those issues?

An event that will hopefully blow our collective minds.
    Assuming the comic continues, where do you think they could go with the DC MOTU story after Eternity War? Can anything else or any other villain compete with what they've done so far and the stakes this high? Readership seem to average around 11,000 for comic book shop sales (not counting digital) with surges of readership at the beginning of each new/rebranded title before dropping again. Can introducing new characters, doing Son of He-Man, or exploring Powers of Graysull Preternia keep the readership alive?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Kesmai View Post
    An excerpt from Jukka's 2nd interview with comic story creator, Rob David.
    http://hemaneternitywar.blogspot.fi/...rob-david.html

Assuming the comic continues, where do you think they could go with the DC MOTU story after Eternity War? Can anything else or any other villain compete with what they've done so far and the stakes this high? Readership seem to average around 11,000 for comic book shop sales (not counting digital) with surges of readership at the beginning of each new/rebranded title before dropping again. Can introducing new characters, doing Son of He-Man, or exploring Powers of Graysull Preternia keep the readership alive?

First any storytime, but Son of He-Man! Keep this bad idea exclusive of the Classics mini comics, but OUT of the DC MOTU Canon. The main MOTU cast is still young in the DC continuity, and with a lot of stories to tell about them, and shape them again as characters. He-Man and Teela have not been even been established as a couple in the comic, apart from a kiss as kids, for make such a jump (let's have their relationship better fleshed out, and then will see about children). Besides the MOTU franchise is relatively small now for trying to dilute what's left of it with legacy stories, and this could drive the remaining readership away.

If the comic continue beyond the Eternity War, there are a lot of possibilities for new stories:

- A devastated post-Eternity/Apocalyptic War Eternia would be similar to this of the first barbarian, Sword and Sorcery mini comics. With the void of power created after the War, many new Warlords or Wizards can see this as opportunity to take over. Various independent villains can appear from the previous MOTU canons, like Count Marzo, Prahvus, Shokoti, Lodar etc or completely new ones never seen before. I can see Skeletor trying to recruite a new bunch of Evil Warriors apart from the 5 that appeared in the comic, like Jitsu, Spikor, Webstor, Two Bad etc. And He-Man trying to fight threats through this new kind of war, while struggling as young King to bring piece in a devastated world, finding new allies between old foes (see Sy-Klone).
    - There is also King Hsss and the open question that is the Snake Men! What are they going to do after the Eternity War? Are going to remain allies with the rest of the Eternians or will go back to their King and turn against them (i.e. Serpent Wars)?
    - There is Marlena that she is still stuck on DC Earth, and the possibility for a new crossover with the DC heroes, this time with She-Ra being among the crew as she will want to meet her real mother.
    - There is Orko that he is stuck on a world called Netherworlds as Skeletor called it. He-Man has promised that he would try to find a way to bring him back.

If instead they want to get more profound to the MOTU mythos they could explore Preternia, telling a more deatailed story about King Grayskull, Veena, He-Ro etc. Or they could make a story about the 7 years old war that raged on Eternia between He-Man and Skeletor, before the DC MOTU storyline begun.

As for Etheria i can see makėng a new spin-off mini series that accompany the MOTU comic, with Hordak surviving from his last battle with Skelly, but stripped of his mystical powers since the Souls and Grayskull are not his anymore, being reanimated as a cyborg technological villain, and return on Etheria to regroup, since i can't see him to invade Eternia for the near future after such defeat. Meanwhile She-Ra stuck on Etheria as well, join the Rebels, and the story continues.

Of course all of this is speculation, because we have no idea or information that the story will go further from the Eternity War. The most important thing for now is to know that the DC comic continue. Then the possibilities for new stories for a franchise like MOTU are limitless. Creative imagination needs it and good will.

Ah, and something else of crucial importance: If the comics continue KEEP THE SAME CREATIVE TEAM! Meaning Dan Abnett, Rob David, Pop Mhan and Mark Roberts! Team that is successful, doesn't change! Would be cool also to have Stjepan Sejic and Dave Wilkins return to do some covers. Or some of Axel Gimenez's magic parhaps.
    Last edited by granamyr80; September 2, 2015 at 11:03pm.

Court Magician Beard of Stratos's Avatar
    What about rather than another big 'event' -- why don't we let the planet operate as it did in the original filmation cartoons ??

Why not explore the many different characters of the MOTU ?

-- the reason I was drawn to MOTU in the first place was not due to He Man but probably the supporting cast. The recent DC comics did a few origin story comics which I enjoyed, why not a few more and advance on what we already know about the characters.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Beard of Stratos View Post
    What about rather than another big 'event' -- why don't we let the planet operate as it did in the original filmation cartoons ??

Why not explore the many different characters of the MOTU ?
    The DC comic is already established as a self built canon, with its own mythos, and completely different tone, more adult orientated and sophisticated from the Filmation cartoon. The Filmation cartoon had the same story over and over again, and it was written for 6 years old. The DC comic is a continuning epic story, with storytelling elements that are interconnected each other, since the first issue, and a whole mythology behind it. Also it has many plot twists and character's development. Even the status of the MOTU characters is completely different from their Filmation counterparts (He-Man in DC canon is King, Teela is the Sorceress, DC Eternia has been devastated from the continous wars and was invaded and conquered by the Horde). In other words DC and Filmation are completely different Universes.

I agree on exploring more MOTU characters, but in the context of the same epicness and more mature approach that DC MOTU delivered, because throwing out the window all this development to go back on the one dimensional Filmation cheesiness would be at this point a huge step backwards. Personally i woudn't like to see all this hard work and effort that the creative team put all these years for build this new whole MOTU Universe, in the comic finished like this. They can leave the Filmation approach for future MOTU cartoons and the new toyline, but NOT for an already well established comic book continuity. The DC MOTU comic needs to continue being its own thing as was meant to be since the beginning! This is the creativity freedom!
    Last edited by granamyr80; September 2, 2015 at 11:22pm.

Court Magician Beard of Stratos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    The DC comic is already established as a self built canon, with its own mythos, and completely different tone, more adult orientated and sophisticated from the Filmation cartoon. The Filmation cartoon had the same story over and over again, and it was written for 6 years old. The DC comic is a continuning epic story, with storytelling elements that are interconnected each other, since the first issue, and a whole mythology behind it. Also it has many plot twists and character's development. Even the status of the MOTU characters is completely different from their Filmation counterparts (He-Man in DC canon is King, Teela is the Sorceress, DC Eternia has been devastated from the continous wars and was invaded and conquered by the Horde). In other words DC and Filmation are completely different Universes.

I agree on exploring more MOTU characters, but in the context of the same epicness and more mature approach that DC MOTU delivered, because throwing out the window all this development to go back on the one dimensional Filmation cheesiness would be at this point a huge step backwards. Personally i woudn't like to see all this hard work and effort that the creative team put all these years for build this new whole MOTU Universe, in the comic finished like this. They can leave the Filmation approach for future MOTU cartoons and the new toyline, but NOT for an already well established comic book continuity. The DC MOTU comic needs to continue being its own thing as was meant to be since the beginning! This is the creativity freedom!
    Not suggesting that it be directed at six year old audiences -- I just think that comics as a whole, whether it be Marvel, DC or other, just seem to go from one cataclysmic event to another without stopping to develop the characters and the universe that made it much loved in the first place.

I remember when one comic book issue started and ended with the one story line with a hint as to what was to come in the next issue(s).

IMO this gradual build up lead to greater character development, more creative writing and a better understanding of the world being created.

We have gone from Skeletor mind wiping everyone to Hordak invasion to MOTU v DC to Eternity Wars without taking breath -- would it not mean more if there was at least a little character / universe development following the mind wipe ?

Having said that I have enjoyed the issues I've read thus far I'd just like to see stories revolving around the MOTU characters as well rather than them just being part of a large battle.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Beard of Stratos View Post
    Not suggesting that it be directed at six year old audiences -- I just think that comics as a whole, whether it be Marvel, DC or other, just seem to go from one cataclysmic event to another without stopping to develop the characters and the universe that made it much loved in the first place.

I remember when one comic book issue started and ended with the one story line with a hint as to what was to come in the next issue(s).

IMO this gradual build up lead to greater character development, more creative writing and a better understanding of the world being created.

We have gone from Skeletor mind wiping everyone to Hordak invasion to MOTU v DC to Eternity Wars without taking breath -- would it not mean more if there was at least a little character / universe development following the mind wipe ?

Having said that I have enjoyed the issues I've read thus far I'd just like to see stories revolving around the MOTU characters as well rather than them just being part of a large battle.
    I don't say the contrary, the problem is that in this case they need more than just one comic book series for explore further the characters.

The Marvel and the DC action comics have the privilege to pubblish a lot of books for each character and team, so they can do this further explore. Though their main policy that brings more money to them is the use of events, crossovers etc, which are about cataclysmic events and large scale battles (see Avengers vs X-Men, Secret Wars, Trinity War), in order to keep the readers interested, because let's face it, the majority of the comic book readers want to see the heroes and villains in action (for example recalling some reviews from the previous issue of the Eternity War, there was some complain about not expanding further the Battle of Eternos, instead of the little character moment between Adam and Teela). So the DC MOTU comics uses the same strategy of the events that the big two use, in order to keep the readership interested. A comic like MOTU based on action figures, with no action, could make bored and drive off the remaining readers. I believe that the combination of high octane action, plot twists, building mythology, high stakes and character moments that the series followed so far is the right one, since practically gave the chance at the MOTU comic to survive for 3 and a half years.

For exploring the other MOTU characters it would work better if they could bring back the digital issues. It was the ideal series for character and world development, since every issue was about a MOTU character's tale. But the problem here is the success and the profit, and of course DC's intention to pubblish more than just one MOTU comic book series.
    Last edited by granamyr80; September 3, 2015 at 08:41am.

Heroic Warrior
    As far as other villains, I was a fan of Count Marzo, Evilseed, and Prahvus in the 200X series. I agree, I don't want Son of He-Man or New Adventures in the DC Comic. But yes, there are many directions they could go. They have essentially given us a taste of what season 3 of the 200X series would've been (Hordak escaping and Horde invading, Masters becoming renegades on Eternia, Teela becoming the new Sorceress, She-Ra eventually showing up, Skeletor overthrowing Hordak at the end) and exceeded that. My question is what tops Hordak gaining omnipotent power (and now Skeletor assuming control) to destroy anything across past/present/future? What comes next and whatever that is, will it sustain the readership numbers? I suppose that could be said for any major event in DC or Marvel like the Infinity Gauntlet/War where Thanos has omnipotent power - where does Marvel go in their Marvel Cinematic Universe in phase 4 and beyond after Avengers: Infinity War and will that sustain viewership?

I get what Beard of Stratos is saying about self contained stories in comics being more of the norm in the past (and similar to the standalone episodes of the He-Man cartoons). As long as the quality writing continues (hopefully with the same team) I will subscribe to it. Anything beyond Eternity War will be a bonus.

I grew up with He-Man in the 80's and I'm a big fan of the 200X cartoon mythos and ongoing DC comic. I don't collect figures - the one and only figure I bought as an adult was 2002 He-Man. All I'm interested in is a continuing great story/mythos (MOTUC story is a joke, but I can't wait to see where it goes for good popcorn fun ) I wonder how many casual and newcomer He-Man fan's would buy the toys beyond hardcore fans already subscribed to the figure the lines?
    Last edited by Kesmai; September 3, 2015 at 03:59pm.

Heroic Warrior
    My question is what tops Hordak gaining omnipotent power (and now Skeletor assuming control) to destroy anything across past/present/future? What comes next and whatever that is, will it sustain the readership numbers? I suppose that could be said for any major event in DC or Marvel like the Infinity Gauntlet/War where Thanos has omnipotent power - where does Marvel go in their Marvel Cinematic Universe in phase 4 and beyond after Avengers: Infinity War and will that sustain viewership?

I believe that this is the real challenge for the MOTU creative team in DC and Mattel. The MOTU villains basically remained the same from the 80's. We have Skeletor, Hordak, King Hsss their respective factions, and a number of independent villains and that's it. There wasn't so far a new addition, that could capture the interest of the fans. Who could be a new or greater threat from the well established Big Trio of MOTU villains, that could challenge their dominion? Now this is a big question! The Unnamed One has potential, but he was ruined in the Classics Canon with the whole Gorpo fiasco. In theory he could be the Morgoth of the MOTU world, an ancient evil god of incredible power, but him being the evil cousin of Orko was the tombstone of this chance. I don't know if the DC comics and the Mattel creative and design team can somehow reinvent him and turning him to something terrifying and powerful (but WITHOUT having him associated with anything Son of He-Man related, just keep him as a He-Man villain), both visually and literally (something like Cthulhu perhaps), and adding with him a new bunch of minions, can turn him to a villain that can join to the big three. Or if they invent a new villain(s) someone completely different. As i said this is the big challenge for Mattel mainly. If they still have some new creative ideas in their minds (both as designs and storytelling) that can capture the imagination of the readers? We shall see.

- - - Updated - - -

I get what Beard of Stratos is saying about self contained stories in comics being more of the norm in the past (and similar to the standalone episodes of the He-Man cartoons). As long as the quality writing continues (hopefully with the same team) I will subscribe to it. Anything beyond Eternity War will be a bonus.
    The self contained stories, worked well with the digital mini series. They explored various MOTU characters through independent tales, which also had connection to the main series (see the Eyes of Grayskull that first appeared in Man At Arms's issue). Self contained stories were also the Origins issues. The problem was that most of them were bad written, with inconsistent artwork, and different creative teams. But in theory they could work as accompanying stories to the main series, which can continue to be about epic storytelling, the big events and the main characters. Besides the MOTU Universe, it's the High Fantasy to its purest form, has so rich mythology and such a diversity between heroes, villains, monsters, landscapes etc that with a little imagination and creativity, they could continue the comic series for a long time.
    Last edited by granamyr80; September 3, 2015 at 06:05pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Unnamed One could be cool and yes, not as the terrible MOTUC Gorpo. But with Hordak/Skeletor gaining god like powers with Castle Grayskull and the Eyes of Grayskull under their control, I don't see how he could be a bigger threat.

Heroic Warrior
    Unnamed One could be cool and yes, not as the terrible MOTUC Gorpo. But with Hordak/Skeletor gaining god like powers with Castle Grayskull and the Eyes of Grayskull under their control, I don't see how he could be a bigger threat.
    He could be if Mattel and DC reinvent him as an entity of an enormous power of its own, or as an ancient evil god, or a lovecraftian creature similar to Cthulhu

(Artwork made by Marko Djurdjevic. This by the way, is a good idea for a crossover that personally would love to see)

MOTU through the years had incorporated many concepts from various Fantasy writers and franchises, a creature/entity like that would fit well in the MOTU world. Filmation's Sh'Gorra was similar to such kind of concept, but his design was too simplistic. The 200X series's creature that Skeletor evoked from the Forsaken Realm at the Pool of Shadows, in the Price of Deceit episode, was also a similar concept, but they didn't developed it further.
    Last edited by granamyr80; September 3, 2015 at 08:24pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Hypothetically IF the He-Man comics continue, who would you like to see as a replacement writer for Dan Abnett? (since it appears he will be too busy with other projects in the near future)

Heroic Warrior
    Hypothetically IF the He-Man comics continue, who would you like to see as a replacement writer for Dan Abnett? (since it appears he will be too busy with other projects in the near future)
    Rob David would be the most logic choice. I believe that after writting almost all the stories, from the beginning of the ongoing and onwards, Rob deserves that chance as the main writer of the MOTU comic book.

Heroic Warrior
    Rob David would be the most logic choice. I believe that after writting almost all the stories, from the beginning of the ongoing and onwards, Rob deserves that chance as the main writer of the MOTU comic book.
    Logically yes, I believe he would be. He is the architect of the overall story and did script #19 of the ongoing series. The question is does he have the time to do it with all of his other duties at Mattel?? Certainly it would save Mattel on the cost of hiring a writer and in effect gaining more royalties.

- - - Updated - - -

My guess is Rob David and Mattel's Playground Production division are/would be too busy and too valuable creating/conceptualizing/developing/overseeing new content to do it (and thus leave it to the comic experts). Maybe if the comic was bringing in a big return for them but alas that is not the case. Still would be awesome if Rob David took over scripting.

- - - Updated - - -

The big question is whether #15 of Eternity War will lead into a new relauch comic series, concept for the movie, or tie in to some other upcoming media. "What does this mean for the Masters of the Universe saga?" description heavily hints of some type of continuation so I don't seeing it just saying The End. It would also be a huge bummer if it was cancelled without a justified ending too. The next 2 months will be interesting to see what answers we get.

I wish they would do more personal stories. Rather than everything having to be epic and world altering. Focus on charaters in smaller, self contained stories. Spotlight lesser used character that could do with being expanded upon like Saurod, Batros, Prahvus etc. Constant huge epic battles mean nothing if I haven't got to know the character involved and I just become numb and fatigued to it when it's over and over, one world war after another.
    I'd also prefer a slightly lighter tone too. Get it back to feeling like MOTU. As it is, to me it still feels like random characters that look similar and have the same names to characters from MOTU.
    Having the character designs closer to the classics toy looks would make sense too as cross promotion.
    Last edited by Rodster6; January 6, 2016 at 04:45pm.

Court Magician
    I haven't read through all the responses yet, but I have never liked the term maxi series, because the term Mini series has always meant 'series with a predetermined number of episodes/issues.'

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by wyldman121 View Post
    I haven't read through all the responses yet, but I have never liked the term maxi series, because the term Mini series has always meant 'series with a predetermined number of episodes/issues.'
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_series_(comics)

Dark Horse and DC Comics appear to have coined the term and started the trend.

Heroic Warrior
    #14 of Eternity War ends with the very real possibility of a happy ending for #15. With Skeletor, Hordak, and King Hssss dead. I suppose you could resurrect them or introduce a completely new threat, but part of me just wants to wrap this up with a happy ending, and if it continues, start something completely fresh in another universe in the He-Man multiverse. No idea what direction #15 will go in.

Heroic Warrior
    #14 of Eternity War ends with the very real possibility of a happy ending for #15. With Skeletor, Hordak, and King Hssss dead. I suppose you could resurrect them or introduce a completely new threat, but part of me just wants to wrap this up with a happy ending, and if it continues, start something completely fresh in another universe in the He-Man multiverse. No idea what direction #15 will go in.
    Using the last words of issue #14 and the possible title for the next issue: "The Future begins"! Whatever that means.

But from this title and from the ending of the current issue, doesn't look that they "reboot or restart a new Universe" (for example it would need 3 years only for reintroduce She-Ra, lol), not at least the new movie will hit the theaters. If hypothetically speaking, the MOTU comic relaunches after the end of the Eternity War, it seems that will go on with the current continuity. At least that it's the intention that appears to me from this "Future Begins" title. Besides it's not that the big bad trio could not eventually return. These are comic books that we are talking about afterall.
    Last edited by granamyr80; January 30, 2016 at 09:16pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Too many mixed emotions for me Part of me wants it to end (because they've raised the bar so high) and part of me doesn't (because I have loved the comic). And I'm completely clueless for what's coming next So Rob David has done his job right But no, truly I don't want to start all over again in another universe. I just have no idea where I would want this comic to go from here (for my own expectations). Aside from a long overdue crossover with the ThunderCats

Heroic Warrior
    Too many mixed emotions for me Part of me wants it to end (because they've raised the bar so high) and part of me doesn't (because I have loved the comic). And I'm completely clueless for what's coming next So Rob David has done his job right But no, truly I don't want to start all over again in another universe. I just have no idea where I would want this comic to go from here (for my own expectations). Aside from a long overdue crossover with the ThunderCats
    This is understandable lol.

But you are right. The crossover with the Thundercats is long overdue, and perhaps this is the best chance for making it happen (considering that Mattel has now the licence for the Thundercats's action figures). And it will do a lot of good for both the franchises. Crossovers is a good way to attract more attention. Many 80's franchises have adopted them. The damned Turtles for example, had the most unexpected crossovers so far (recently with Batman among all people). At least a crossover between MOTU and Thundercats makes more sense. Besides who wouldn't like to see He-Man and Lion-O as "brothers in arms"!

Artwork by Reyad Yousri!

Last edited by granamyr80; January 31, 2016 at 09:47am.

This video is about games but the concept relates to comics as well. It is about spectacle creep and it very much applies to what has happened in Eternity Wars.

Spectacle creep is a kin to wolfing down ten thousand dollars worth of caviar in two bites and demanding more. Well there is no more. You ate it all. That is exactly what happened in Eternity war. They burned through all the story elements and now there is nothing left.

After you reach a certain point in the spectacle creep you really can't tell a story anymore. Constantly trying to out do the previous issue really limits what can be done as far as the story is concerned. Everything just turns into a "Macguffin" that strains the credulity of the reader. It is the point where the story has become a slave to spectacle creep. After the story defeats the ultimate evil, then out does it, resurrects it, and then defeats it again all the while saving the entire universe there is nothing more you can do. The spectacle creep has taken over the narrative and that is all there is. The story needs to be reset.

Eternity War is for all practical purposes is a dead end. There is no room to bring out the lesser villains such Evilseed, Shokoti, and Count Marzo. They would seem unimportant after what has already happened. Those parts of the story have to be told before the spectacle creep get out of hand.

The opposite of spectacle creep is "to just be" and let the planet operate as Beard of Stratos puts it. DC needs to reset the story and just let the planet operate. They don't need to do an origin story again but they need to take step back and tone down the "shock events."

They need to reset the story to reestablish a baseline of what He-Man and the Masters of the Universe is in terms of world building.

Here are some pointers:
    - Take it slow
    - Don't rush into the She-Ra and Hordak narrative right off the bat
    - Don't make He-Man king right away
    - Let Teela be her own character and don't rush her into the Green goddess role
    - Let the original sorceress establish her own character as well
    - Do something with Man-at-arms, Stratos, and Ram Man
    - Tell the story about the rise of Skeletor's forces (not origin) but show how he became an increasing threat to the peace of Eternia
    - Then they can slowly bring out the other villains such as Evilseed or Count Marzo

This is how they should establish a world building baseline. Let the planet operate for a while before bringing in the big events.

Life is a journey. It is not the destination that matters, it is how you get there that counts.

As they say in Eternia:
    "Good Journey!"

That is the way it should be done.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by InThe80s View Post
    This video is about games but the concept relates to comics as well. It is about spectacle creep and it very much applies to what has happened in Eternity Wars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKzJWoZWMOI

Spectacle creep is a kin to wolfing down ten thousand dollars worth of caviar in two bites and demanding more. Well there is no more. You ate it all. That is exactly what happened in Eternity war. They burned through all the story elements and now there is nothing left.

After you reach a certain point in the spectacle creep you really can't tell a story anymore. Constantly trying to out do the previous issue really limits what can be done as far as the story is concerned. Everything just turns into a "Macguffin" that strains the credulity of the reader. It is the point where the story has become a slave to spectacle creep. After the story defeats the ultimate evil, then out does it, resurrects it, and then defeats it again all the while saving the entire universe there is nothing more you can do. The spectacle creep has taken over the narrative and that is all there is. The story needs to be reset.

Eternity War is for all practical purposes is a dead end. There is no room to bring out the lesser villains such Evilseed, Shokoti, and Count Marzo. They would seem unimportant after what has already happened. Those parts of the story have to be told before the spectacle creep get out of hand.

The opposite of spectacle creep is "to just be" and let the planet operate as Beard of Stratos puts it. DC needs to reset the story and just let the planet operate. They don't need to do an origin story again but they need to take step back and tone down the "shock events."

They need to reset the story to reestablish a baseline of what He-Man and the Masters of the Universe is in terms of world building.

Here are some pointers:
    - Take it slow
    - Tell the story about the rise of Skeletor's forces (not origin) but show how he became an increasing threat to the peace of Eternia
    - Then they can slowly bring out the other villains such as Evilseed or Count Marzo

This is how they should establish a world building baseline. Let the planet operate for a while before bringing in the big events.

Life is a journey. It is not the destination that matters, it is how you get there that counts.

As they say in Eternia:
    "Good Journey!"

Completely agree with everything you said! I also have no regrets on what they did for this DC Comic story (told over almost 4 years) since 200X was cancelled and I don't think I could've handled another cancellation before getting into the big stuff. Perhaps if the comic had higher sustaining numbers, there wouldn't have been as big of rush.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by InThe80s View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKzJWoZWMOI

Here are some pointers:
    - Take it slow

As they say in Eternia:
    "Good Journey!"

This logic could work if this was cartoon, with a lot of episodes to handle and not a couple of pages, and definitely more space to work about, where each episode couldn't advance a plot, or if it was doing it, could do it too slowly, without problem.

The modern comics is a completely different animal. They use massive events or long story arcs, to carry out their stories, because this is what attract the current comic book readership, and the pubblishers want money so if this model means sales for them this the way they go. Also in the comic books nothing remains stagnant, everything change and move forward from one event to the other. Characters seemed that they are gone, but they return after a couple of months, teams change their roster continously and so on. Superman can lost his powers for a period. Captain America died after the Civil War and then eventually he return. Getting too slow, instead of advance the plot, in the comic books, comes with the risk of losing the readers's interest and consequently low sales, and for the MOTU comic this would mean that key characters like She-Ra and Hordak, wouldn't have the chance to be introduced. This model of "the big events" is currently applied from the comic book companies, because this is what sell. And since the MOTU franchise entered to the comic book world, it was needed to adapt to this model for guarantee the interest of the readership for the story. Individual small stories unfortunately don't sell anymore, because the readership consider them less important, in comparison with a main event. And MOTU it's not big enough anymore in order to pubblish more comics fot the B-list MOTU characters. Mattel and DC tried individual small adventure stories for telling the truth, with the digital issues, but they didn't work out. The model of one shot/issue adventure has been declined and abbandoned from the comic books, long time ago.

The MOTU franchise has been stagnant over the decades. In the Filmation episodes, the status never changed. The characters never progressed or put in different roles. There was not an origin or a beginning neither an end. Just a repeat of the same plot Skeletor tries to conquer Grasykull, only to be defeated always by He-Man at the end of each episode, and then the next episode the same all over again. It may works for the kids, but not for an adult readership, which is the current comic book readership, since kids nowdays prefer to play with the iphones, instead of read comics, and the comic book industry knows that (for this reason comics nowdays, Marvel's comics especially, they have even political messages). The 200X cartoon finally gave us an Origin and built the foundation of the new MOTU mythology, with the story that had a beginning and a continuity, but unfortunately never had an end. Now the Eternity War instead of keep the same status over and over again, it did something else. It tried to put the main characters through a new prospective, make them evolved to the roles which were supposed to be the next stage of their development. This was the chance to see the main MOTU characters in roles that was implied being their destiny, but they were never seen before. Instead of doing the same "old Prince Adam" all over again, they did something revolutionary, that we may never have the chance to see again, i.e. making Adam King of Eternia, in the most critical moment of the planet's history. And not an old and retired King like in the SOH, but a young and inexperienced King who struggles between being the leader and the champion of his people. The same with Teela. It was implied that she was going to be the Sorceress, but she never get the mantle before. The same with Skeletor. We never saw what would happen if he took controll of Grayskull's Power (with the exception of the brief moment from the 87's movie). The same with Adora. We never saw her early life during her years with the Horde, and the gradual development to the hero that she became, or her struggle with her past. The Eternity War offered exactly this. A chance to explore and develop further these characters, through the content of an epic story. As i said we may never have again the chance to see them like that, and for the first time in the history of the franchise we have something that looks as an actual conclusion of a MOTU saga. As Rob David said before the Eternity War begun, this was supposed to be the Ragnarok of the current MOTU comic storyline and this was exactly what the story delivered.

The Eternity War is over and yes it seems maybe this is the end for this saga. But it's not that the Eternity War was the beginning of this storyline. Before this, they have been 40 issues between ongoings, digital issues (in which have been explored different MOTU characters like Randor and Man At Arms), mini series, and one shots that lead to this maxi event. If you have read the series, you know that this was actually a gradual built through the addition of a lot of different elements and story arcs, which all of them wrap up and culminated to this final chapter. The Eyes of Grayskull for example, crucial element of this event, appeared in a digital issue, 2 and a half years before the Eternity War. Even He-Man became king two years after the beginning of the comic book series. So it's not true at all, that wasn't a worldbuilding or character building, just it was not much of an Origin story, but a more advanced, from a chronological point of view, storyline.

Now it may seems that Mattel "burned all the story elements" to you, which actually we don't know yet if this is true, since there is another issue and we don't know if some surprises come with it. But if this is indeed the end, did you thought that maybe this is what Mattel wanted to do for different reasons? If DC didn't want to renew the licence, Mattel should have to end the comic book anyway. At least through this maxi event, Mattel had the chance to conclude the storyline, instead of leaving it without an end, like the 200X cartoon's 3rd season. Or perhaps they want to progress further the story with the Son Of He-Man Era, so they wanted to close the current storyline? Or they want to wait and relaunch new comics with the new movie? At any case we find out about their intentions in the following months (the title of the next issue is "the future begins", so we shall see what this means). But another "reboot or restart" for the current comic continuity i can't see it happening. Not only because comic book readers generally hate reboots (ask the DC fans, how infuriated still are, with the new 52 reboot), but most importantly if the movie comes out in a couple of years, doesn't make any sense to restart now, when the movie would be probably consider another reboot and will come with a new toyline: 3 reboots in 6 years is overkill. One thing is clear though, Mattel wanted to give finally an end to a MOTU saga, instead of leaving it unfinished. And the big success is that they did it with the Eternity War, without the support of any other contemporary MOTU media, or a pubblishing campain!

Life is a journey yes, but all jouneys have to come to an end at some point. This was maybe the only time for MOTU that the journey finally arrived to its conclusion, for this reason i' m greatful to the creative team of the MOTU comics for doing and delivering that. Because if this is the end of the current storyline at least it's a satisfying closing. And with the Classics toyline ending at the same time period more or less, this is a big achievement in my opinion.

Concluding with this:

Epic High Fantasy stories will always be loved and admired by readers and fans. Odyssey, Lord of the Rings, Narnia, Star Wars etc all the epic sagas always keep the interest and capture the immagination of the people. Mattel did the right finally taking the epic route with the Eternity War! I was reading some reviews made by customers, for the 1st Volume of the Eternity War from Amazon (9 reviews 5 out of 5 score from all of them. I bring them some here:

Source: http://www.amazon.com/He-Man-The-Ete...ZF721TNP2RVCMF

"By grown hustle:

I've been a fan of MOTU like forever from the original cartoon series in the 80's from the action figures I had as kid. To be honest, I think the whole MOTU is a very underrated & forgotten franchise almost where it doesn't get the credit it deserves in mainstream comics/cartoon culture. I'm glad that the people at DC took up the initiative to revive Masters of the Universe again.

I have enjoyed every volume of MOTU since they have came out. I bought every 1 except Vol. 1 (based on reviews I read I decided to pass on it). The reason why I like reading this series is because the stories continue to grow into something much bigger with each volume and the character development & back stories as to how they rose or fell to power in the series is great. After reading the first volume of "The Eternity War" I don't think anything will be the same again after it's over. I just hope DC continues to keep up the writing & artwork on MOTU. If it's one thing I would like to see from this series is new villains & heroes along with the older characters."

"By P:
    I grew up in the 80's watching the He-Man cartoons and playing with the toys. I picked up this trade paperback the last week out of curiosity, and I believe this is an overlook gem.

The story starts off as a continuation of a previous story, but it was not hard to follow what was happening. A big war is starting on Eternia that involves a lot of characters you can think of from both He-Man and She-Ra. It is great seeing some obscure characters that I used to play with as toys actually being involved with the regular Master of the Universe characters. Why I recommend the book is the story is a easy and engaging read. All the characters are written with lots of care and depth, plus the artwork is fantastic. I am curious as to how some of the things happened previously in the story so I am now definitely picking up some of the previous He-Man trades before The Eternity War. If you are familiar with He-Man or the Masters of the Universe, you should enjoy this!"

By Rhymoceros:

"Bought this after watching the new/old He-man series finally, had it in my shelves for a while. Cover looked great so I decided to pick it up. Geez, this was one of those, 'really glad I got it.' Awesome illustrations and concepts, great characterization and writing. You won't regret this one, stays true to the past while adding so much more. As a fan of the show as a kid, this did not disappoint."

By Joe Kessler

"This takes He-Man to whole new level. Those used to the filmation He-Man will be surprised. The battle for the soul of Eternia is in the balance. I look forward to the final chapter in this saga. Who will live, who will not?"p
    Last edited by granamyr80; February 1, 2016 at 12:46am.

I thought the story *was* excellent. Not rushed or squeezed. If anything, some parts took a very long time to get through.
    Last edited by ehenyo; February 2, 2016 at 10:27am.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

I don't like cross-overs, but I do love the vibe in this piece
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader