View Poll Results: Did you think that the MOTU guys were vegetarians?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 11.76%
  • No

30 88.24%

Thread: Vegetarian MOTU?

Hybrid View

Co-Creator of the NV

Vegetarian MOTU?

One thing that I always found weird in the MOTU movie from way back when was that they basically implied that Eternians are vegetarian (this was during the scene with Gwildor, Teela and Man-At-Arms eating chicken and ribs).

I always found that weird, because I pictured them eating these big dinners in the palace with hams and turkeys and stuff.

Anyways, who here would have guessed that they were vegetarian?

NA mini-sub Supporter ! Arkangel's Avatar
    at least teela was, but she didnt botehr much did she?

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    at least teela was, but she didnt botehr much did she?
    Yeah, but she seemed shocked at the concept of eating meat. Plus MAA made a comment about having had to eat it during some siege or something, so it's not very common.

I sometimes think that She-Ra is probably vegetarian, due in large part to her ability to talk to animals. I would imagine that it has to be very hard to eat the meat of some animal you were having nice conversations with just a few days ago.

The rest of the cast of MotU shouldn't be vegetarian, in my opinion - it just seems a bit out of place to me.
    "I'm not just crying for Hordak. I'm crying for the saddest thing I know - a wasted life. To be given that most precious gift - the gift of living, to do with as we choose. I'm crying, because this man has chosen to throw it away, and when he goes, nobody will care..." - She-Ra ( "My Friend, My Enemy")

Co-Creator of the NV
    One thing I want to add is that the question is meant to apply on a societal level, not to individual characters. The reason it came up is because Teela implied that Eternians don't eat meat, whereas i imagined most would.

Interestingly enough, while Beastman can talk to and control animals, I always pictured him as a meat eater anyways, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    One thing I want to add is that the question is meant to apply on a societal level, not to individual characters. The reason it came up is because Teela implied that Eternians don't eat meat, whereas i imagined most would.
    Agreed. A thoroughly vegetarian society seems way out of place for characters who wear the sort of clothes that Eternians do (i.e. where do you think those furry bits come from?) ...

Still, Teela is a bit of an animal-lover. I remember her being severely ticked at the Huntsman in one He-Man episode.

Interestingly enough, while Beastman can talk to and control animals, I always pictured him as a meat eater anyways, haha.
    Agreed... but then Beastman is evil , and She-Ra is good.

Seriously, if while fishing, I caught a fish, and I could hear him saying "Please don't eat me dude... please throw me back... I'm begging ya'!", I'd have a really hard time not giving in to his mercy requests.
    "I'm not just crying for Hordak. I'm crying for the saddest thing I know - a wasted life. To be given that most precious gift - the gift of living, to do with as we choose. I'm crying, because this man has chosen to throw it away, and when he goes, nobody will care..." - She-Ra ( "My Friend, My Enemy")

I remember being a bit surprised about that, too. I think that was just some PC crap (is it OK to say crap here?).

You know how in movies aliens are sometimes portrayed as more advanced in any respect - advanced technology, advanced moral values... well, someone probably thought that not eating meat is "morally advanced" and if Eternians were shocked at maneating humans that would be a great way to show how cool Eternians are and how barbaric us humans are.

I'm no vegetarian, but personally, I loved that scene in the movie. The idea that Eternians would consider Earthlings a planet of savages was good for a laugh. I saw nothing "PC" about it, it was just a gag moment of culture shock for an alien race.
    People who say certain characters should never be remade is stupid. Throw rocks at them.

I support Filmation characters for MOTUC! Let Mattel know it's worth their while to get the rights to those characters!

Heroic Warrior
    I'll go with the "pc" argument. I can see why She-Ra would go vegetarian, but I think it's a matter of personal choice for everyone else.

By the way, what in the world is roast gooble? I know it's a delicacy on Trolla, but I'm assuming that because it's roasted it's some kind of meat dish. Gonna hafta ask Julia Childs about that one...

In the german audio plays, He-Man`s favourite food is roast beef...so "NO"
    MOTUC Most Wanted : Battle Ram, Attak Trak, Stridor, Night Stalker, Tung Lashor, Dragstor, Masks of Power Demons, Alcala-Style-Figures, Point Dread & Talon Fighter

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Oo-Larr View Post
    In the german audio plays, He-Man`s favourite food is roast beef...so "NO"
    There you go.
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

I loved how Man At Arms was pretty much enjoying his dead animal and teasing poor teela at the same time .

I cannot imagine how Teela or Gwildor could not know they were eating meat . No biology class on Eternia ? Even if they never eaten meat in their lives , how could they not recognise bones ?

I would have understood if it was processed meat like mince beef or sliced sandwich ham .
    MOTU and POP transformed my childhood years to gold