View Poll Results: Did you think that the MOTU guys were vegetarians?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 12.00%
  • No

44 88.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vegetarian MOTU?

Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    There is also another scene from the comic book mini series, when Adam has lost his memory and he worked as a woodsman, in which it was shown that he pulled a piece of steak out of his bag, in which he had his meal to give it to Zoar. As you said MOTU is a multiverse, but the evidences from various canons and different media show Adam/He-Man to have the meat included in his diet. The only reference from the movie though is what Teela said about herself being vegeterian. He didn't say anything about He-Man being vegeterian, neither He-Man said something about this for himself. It could be that in this particular MOTU reality, in which the movie takes place, that He-Man is vegetarian. But it's an hypothesis, not something certain.
    The thing is Teela was NOT talking about herself. She condemned the entire planet Earth as barbaric for eating meat. Teela said it but she was not talking about herself. She was talking about the entire Earth. This comment only makes sense in the larger context that her friends, associates, and culture she was part of also did not eat meat especially since she said it in front of them otherwise she would be insulting her friends. This really is the ONLY logical way to interpret Teela's line from this part of the multiverse.

This side debate over He-Man eating meat is a bit of a tangent to the original train of thought. There is the potential in future MOTU movie(s) He-Man will be anti-gun which may upset some people. However it really shouldn't because it is rather in character for what He-Man represents. He-Man has historically been an over the top moralist throughout the franchise. The vegetarianism mentioned in the 1987 movie is just ONE example of the oozingly good "ooey gooey" morality that is found in MOTU. Every episode of Filmation tried to teach some kind of lesson even if it wasn't always He-Man explaining the episode's lesson at the end. This tradition continued throughout 200X/MYP. He-Man is "good" maybe even too good which is kind of what makes Skeletor and other villains in the series somewhat relateable.

This is one of the finer nuances of MOTU that separates this franchise from other superheroes. The hero is too perfect and disturbingly good that it at times generates sympathy for the villains.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by InThe80s View Post
    The thing is Teela was NOT talking about herself. She condemned the entire planet Earth as barbaric for eating meat. Teela said it but she was not talking about herself. She was talking about the entire Earth. This comment only makes sense in the larger context that her friends, associates, and culture she was part of also did not eat meat especially since she said it in front of them otherwise she would be insulting her friends. This really is the ONLY logical way to interpret Teela's line from this part of the multiverse.
    Considering Teela's character and how often she had the tendency to jump conclusions, wouldn't be surprised if she was generalizing what she was her personal avversion. She could easily be against and consider the meat in diet barbaric, no matter if it comes from Earth, Eternia or elsewhere. But this doesn't mean necessary that He-Man is somekind of a vegeterian activist too. And you continue to ignore the evidences that i posted you from various sources that Adam/He-Man was very open to his diet, especially considering that many times he traveled through the Universe and to other worlds or dimensions, so it would be necessary to adapt his diet according to the world that he found himself in. And honestly the diet habits, with exceptions of extreme examples and situations, it has little to do with morality, but most of times has to do with the cultural background of a populance, a country etc. It's not that if a person or a culture has meat in their diet, is morally inferior to another that is vegeterian.
    Last edited by granamyr80; May 6, 2017 at 11:15pm.

Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    Considering Teela's character and how often she had the tendency to jump conclusions, wouldn't be surprised if she was generalizing what she was her personal avversion. She could easily be against and consider the meat in diet barbaric, no matter if it comes from Earth, Eternia or elsewhere. But this doesn't mean necessary that He-Man is somekind of a vegeterian activist too. And you continue to ignore the evidences that i posted you from various sources that Adam/He-Man was very open to his diet, especially considering that many times he traveled through the Universe and to other worlds or dimensions, so it would be necessary to adapt his diet according to the world that he found himself in. And honestly the diet habits, with exceptions of extreme examples and situations, it has little to do with morality, but most of times has to do with the cultural background of a populance, a country etc. It's not that if a person or a culture has meat in their diet, is morally inferior to another that is vegetarian.
    If it was only Teela's personal aversion to eating meat then why did she say it was barbaric in front of her friends? Would that not have been an insult to He-Man if he was not also a vegitarian. Also how do you explain Teela not even knowing what meat was? That is the most curious part of the whole scene. Teela didn't know that meat as food was a thing until Man-at-arms told her. This can't be explained away like you have been trying to do.

To break the 4th wall here. Why does that scene even exist in the 1987 movie? The writer, the director, the studio or someone high up thought to write social commentary into the movie condemning the eating of meat. Someone made a decision to put vegitarianism to the movie's morals. After that decision to write this into the movie was filmed it bacame canon to the MOTU multiverse and is officialy part of the larger mythology future movies can draw from for inspiration.

I didn't ignore your evidence of He-Man eating meat in other media. As I said, it is a multiverse and you agreed with the concept. He-Man may be a vegitarian in part of the multiverse and a meat eater in another part of the multiverse. Contradictory lore exists all over the place in MOTU because it is a multiverse so it doesn't matter if something contradicts. As long as something exists somewhere in the multiverse it is considered canon to the larger mythology of MOTU.

Heroic Warrior
    If it was only Teela's personal aversion to eating meat then why did she say it was barbaric in front of her friends? Would that not have been an insult to He-Man if he was not also a vegitarian. Also how do you explain Teela not even knowing what meat was? That is the most curious part of the whole scene. Teela didn't know that meat as food was a thing until Man-at-arms told her. This can't be explained away like you have been trying to do.

To break the 4th wall here. Why does that scene even exist in the 1987 movie? The writer, the director, the studio or someone high up thought to write social commentary into the movie condemning the eating of meat. Someone made a decision to put vegitarianism to the movie's morals. After that decision to write this into the movie was filmed it bacame canon to the MOTU multiverse and is officialy part of the larger mythology future movies can draw from for inspiration.

I didn't ignore your evidence of He-Man eating meat in other media. As I said, it is a multiverse and you agreed with the concept. He-Man may be a vegitarian in part of the multiverse and a meat eater in another part of the multiverse. Contradictory lore exists all over the place in MOTU because it is a multiverse so it doesn't matter if something contradicts. As long as something exists somewhere in the multiverse it is considered canon to the larger mythology of MOTU.
    Ι don't think that the intention was to have "vegeterianism" as part of morality. Teela expressed her avversion to eat meat, but more likely was something used to show how some Eternians didn't have Earth too much in consideration. Because at Teela's "barbaric" reference, later comes Skeletor's comment about Earth being a "primitive world", without having any reference about the diet habits. He-Man and Man At Arms didn't show to have any problem with Earth's customs. Perhaps because of her position, Teela as Captain of the Royal Guard, was more rigid to some rules including diet, while He-Man wandering across Eternia, and coming more in contact to the thousand different Eternian races and civilizations was more open minded (reminding that the Eternians are not only humans but, they are including a huge variety of sapient beings some of them with "particular" preferences in diet, like the Snake Men). So it's not about morality, it's how some members from a group of aliens, in that case the Eternians, that they found in a strange and unknown world for themselves, expressing their like or dislike about it.
    Last edited by granamyr80; May 7, 2017 at 07:26am.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    If meat eating is common on Eternia then why does Teela think meat eating on Earth makes it a barbaric world?

Overall it implies Eternia was a veterinarian culture.

Man-at-arms knows it was meat because he is a scientist
    The scene still doesn't convey to me that He-Man is addressed as a vegetarian. Or from one character's comment "entire culture" is.

You may be reading too much into it.

For you can't have one character "not knowing" and that speaks for "entire culture" but then an older character who_does_know from said culture.

If anything with Duncan knowing it implies Eternian culture is not foreign to eating meat.

EDIT: Though if the writer or director did mean it to imply that it speaks for entire planet... then they didn't do a good job with it.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan and contributor to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

I am not the only one reading too much into this scene. Take a good look at the comments from this video. It seems the writers did a pretty good job implying Eternia was vegetarian culture.

https://www.reddit.com/r/vegan/comme..._from_masters/

To be fair, many vegetarians today will refer to the eating of meat as barbaric and act disgusted by the sight, even though they know meat eaters exist and have for all of time.

Also, many people don't believe the movie has any part in the actual canon. It's so far off from the actual story line, ignores completely very prominent characters, and then replaces them with sub-standard (my opinion) characters. Even as a child I walked out of the theater completely disappointed with how little actual MOTU material was in the movie.
    White knights of the internet only see flowers or dragons. Nothing in between.

That's the way I interpreted it as well.. Even when I was a kid I caught this.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...

Eternians are like:

(Well...except Teela)
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Like a few people have said, I think it depends on which version of MOTU you're reading/watching.

For example, in the early mini comics, HE-MAN used a battle axe, and slayed dangerous beasts if need be. In the FILMATION cartoon, he would never do such a thing. At this point, we all know that there is....

-The classic mini-comics
    -The FILMATION cartoon
    -The '87 movie
    -The newspaper strips
    -The 200x cartoon
    -The newer DC comics
    -The HE-MAN/THUNDERCATS version

Obviously, there are multiple Eternias, with many slight differences.

*EDIT The scene is confusing. TEELA has obviously never even heard of eating meat, GWILDOR seems confused, and yet it seems completely natural to MAN-AT-ARMS. Say what you will, but as much as I love MOTU, I only saw that movie once, and it left pretty much NO impression on me.

Looking back, I think TEELA's line was wrote just to make ETERNIAN's seem a little different than EARTHers. Otherwise, the scene would have just been all of them eating and not having much to say.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; May 11, 2017 at 01:00pm.
    Odd Man Out

Not all eternians are vegetarian like Duncan when he chows down on ribs in the movie as he knows about meat since he's a soldier while his daughter is a vegetarian.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Hard to explain all those furry boots and loin cloths if they're all vegetarians.

Maybe the furry underwear/boots and loin cloths are made from all synthetic textiles. Eternia is a world of magic after all, it's possible. I'm a vegetarian too, so I sympathise with Teela in the MOTU Movie.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Maybe the furry underwear/boots and loin cloths are made from all synthetic textiles. Eternia is a world of magic after all, it's possible. I'm a vegetarian too, so I sympathise with Teela in the MOTU Movie.
    I guess I am getting old. I don't remember if, in the movie, the good guys actually had furry boots and stuff. Although I do remember He-Man wearing leather. I'm assuming Eternia was not originally envisioned as a totally vegetarian culture, being the way the original 8-back crew are dressed, although, like Earth, there are probably many there who choose to be.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"All you have is your fire, and the place you need to reach
    Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash"
    - Hozier, "Arsonist's Lullabye"

Heroic Warrior
    I'm on your side, InThe80s. The scene is clear. You are not reading into it. I'm sure the screenwriters/director/actors would agree. IMO the writers didn't think too hard about the furry boots and obviously people still don't understand Duncan in the scene, so it wasn't written well. But the message was LOUD and CLEAR to me even if it was just a gag scene.

When Teela says this world is barbaric, due to eating ribs, it is similar to Dr. McCoy in The Voyage Home saying how barbaric 20th century surgery is. Both scenes were created to show how advanced, evolved, and superior the future (or Eternia) is, and how backwards we are.

The arguments I've read here state:
    • Man-At-Arms has no problems with it therefore meat eating was common.
    • Teela was isolated being a royal guard.
    • Teela is a hardcore veggie snob.
    • Furry boots.
    • Other media.
    • He-Man is a wandering barbarian who adapts to foreign cultures and must have seen and engaged in meat eating.
    • Vegetarianism is not a moral judgement, it is just a diet.

None are persuasive to me.
    All of these look into the scene more than just accepting that Teela is condemning 20th century earth for eating meat.

Teela is not acting like Lisa Simpson in the scene: the concept of eating meat is foreign to her- she literally thinks it is a stick. Her father is an old grizzled soldier who must do what must be done to survive and was not even going to mention it. At the end of the scene Gwildor shows that he has never eaten meat either. Therefore we have two people who have no idea what eating meat is, and one character who is eating it to survive. It is no leap of faith to believe He-Man is a vegetarian in this film.

DC (Mark Waid) had flirted with Superman being one years ago, but it did not catch on. Same with He-Man. Probably because 90% of their fans feel it is a moral judgement from the greatest of heroes (Superman and He-Man) upon them. I think people who can't accept He-Man and Superman not eating meat can't deal with their heroes looking down upon them, so they take it personally. You can tell because of how defensive they get. Say "Jesus was a vegetarian" to a meat-eating Christian and see how they react. They reverse is true- the vegetarians love when heroes and perfect characters are what they are. We project everything.

Even if one says vegetarianism was not practiced by all Eternians, if you have no issues with She-Ra being a vegetarian due to her animal empathy powers, then it should not be a stretch if Adam is one due to Cringer his talking cat, Zoar his talking bird, Battle-Bones having a spirit, or Panthor being smarter than Ram Man, and the fact that he knows She-Ra proved bears are sentient + have consciousness in Secret of the Sword.

BTW I voted "no" in the poll because it's only in the 1987 movie...
    Last edited by Yin Chan Vo; November 29, 2018 at 08:15pm.

I bet ribs are Man-at-Arms favorite food.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Yin Chan Vo View Post
    I'm on your side, InThe80s. The scene is clear. You are not reading into it. I'm sure the screenwriters/director/actors would agree. IMO the writers didn't think too hard about the furry boots and obviously people still don't understand Duncan in the scene, so it wasn't written well. But the message was LOUD and CLEAR to me even if it was just a gag scene.

When Teela says this world is barbaric, due to eating ribs, it is similar to Dr. McCoy in The Voyage Home saying how barbaric 20th century surgery is. Both scenes were created to show how advanced, evolved, and superior the future (or Eternia) is, and how backwards we are.

The arguments I've read here state:
    • Man-At-Arms has no problems with it therefore meat eating was common.
    • Teela was isolated being a royal guard.
    • Teela is a hardcore veggie snob.
    • Furry boots.
    • Other media.
    • He-Man is a wandering barbarian who adapts to foreign cultures and must have seen and engaged in meat eating.
    • Vegetarianism is not a moral judgement, it is just a diet.

None are persuasive to me.
    All of these look into the scene more than just accepting that Teela is condemning 20th century earth for eating meat.

Teela is not acting like Lisa Simpson in the scene: the concept of eating meat is foreign to her- she literally thinks it is a stick. Her father is an old grizzled soldier who must do what must be done to survive and was not even going to mention it. At the end of the scene Gwildor shows that he has never eaten meat either. Therefore we have two people who have no idea what eating meat is, and one character who is eating it to survive. It is no leap of faith to believe He-Man is a vegetarian in this film.

DC (Mark Waid) had flirted with Superman being one years ago, but it did not catch on. Same with He-Man. Probably because 90% of their fans feel it is a moral judgement from the greatest of heroes (Superman and He-Man) upon them. I think people who can't accept He-Man and Superman not eating meat can't deal with their heroes looking down upon them, so they take it personally. You can tell because of how defensive they get. Say "Jesus was a vegetarian" to a meat-eating Christian and see how they react. They reverse is true- the vegetarians love when heroes and perfect characters are what they are. We project everything.

Even if one says vegetarianism was not practiced by all Eternians, if you have no issues with She-Ra being a vegetarian due to her animal empathy powers, then it should not be a stretch if Adam is one due to Cringer his talking cat, Zoar his talking bird, Battle-Bones having a spirit, or Panthor being smarter than Ram Man, and the fact that he knows She-Ra proved bears are sentient + have consciousness in Secret of the Sword.

BTW I voted "no" in the poll because it's only in the 1987 movie...
    Agree with all this. The movie is definitely saying that Eternians are vegetarians... I also believe that it was a PC thing and no more should be read into it. No other media ever even hinted at that, so like so many other things they altered/changed/made up... the movie isn't a legitimate canon.