View Poll Results: Regarding Tone and Filmography...which movie do the new He-Man one should approximate

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lord of The Rings

13 59.09%
  • Star Trek - JJ Abrams

1 4.55%

2 9.09%
  • The Avengers

3 13.64%
  • Watchmen

1 4.55%
  • Conan - De Laurentis

1 4.55%
  • Gladiator

0 0%
  • Batman Begins/Dark Knight

2 9.09%
  • Transformers

0 0%
  • X-Men

1 4.55%
  • Sin City

0 0%
  • Clash of the Titans / wrath of the titans

2 9.09%
  • Inmortals

1 4.55%
  • None of the above

3 13.64%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Regarding Tone and Filmography...which movie do the new He-Man one should approximate

Prime Warrior of Esgeal Mercury's Avatar

Regarding Tone and Filmography...which movie do the new He-Man one should approximate

Regarding Tone and Filmography...which movie do the new He-Man one should approximate:
    I would like somethig original, and by proximity I mean the tone, humor, environment, character inteaction:
    eg: Lord of The Rings is Epic, 300 the slow-fast motion sequences and the green screen
    If you would like more sci-fy, more fantasy, more action, more character development, gore.
    Please feel free to post your suggestions or blends betweeen options
    "It's better to burn out...
    ...than to fade away"

Kurgan in "Highlander" the movie

Heroic Warrior
    A combination of Lord of the Rings, 300, and Hercules Thracian Wars and bringing Sword and Sorcery with Sci/fi elements together.

Personally I think John Carter would be the right tone.

I think a new MOTU should emulate the tone of The Avengers. Focus on characters, exciting action sequences, some humor, a little bit of romance, likeable heros and villians, universe building, cool factor. Avengers does all of these things. Too dark or too heavy would be a turn off for me and a lot of audiences. If He-Man isn't fun and can't appeal to kids it'll be dead in the water.

I feel the Marvel Cinematic Universe approach would be good for MOTU in so many ways, with so many opportunities to spin off and tell different stories with different characters in central story lines.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by skelethon View Post
    I think a new MOTU should emulate the tone of The Avengers. Focus on characters, exciting action sequences, some humor, a little bit of romance, likeable heros and villians, universe building, cool factor. Avengers does all of these things. Too dark or too heavy would be a turn off for me and a lot of audiences. If He-Man isn't fun and can't appeal to kids it'll be dead in the water.

I feel the Marvel Cinematic Universe approach would be good for MOTU in so many ways, with so many opportunities to spin off and tell different stories with different characters in central story lines.
    If the MOTU movie will try to be a generic superhero franchise like the Avengers or JL, especially with all the amount of superhero movies that we are having now, then is destined to fail, lost between other far more popular and recognizable characters. Look what happen to the DC Iron Man cosplay He-Man. It 's falling apart to the monthly sales.

@granamyr80 - I don't suggest turning He-Man into a costumed wearing super hero. MOTU should still look like and be based on our beloved characters that we older fans know and love. The setting should also remain a strange world where fantasy and science fiction elements mix.

The poll is asking about the tone and filmography (which by the way are two different things). Why wouldn't Sony seek to emulate the success of a $1 billion worldwide picture? I won't repeat the points that I made above (you can see them twice since I'm quoted), but i think specifically the tone of the Marvel (Disney) movies would work. The Avengers has all the ingredients that would make for a fun MOTU movie.

Also, to write of The Avengers as a "generic superhero franchise" is kind of snobbish. Maybe I misunderstood what you meant.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    Personally I think John Carter would be the right tone.
    Seconded! Out of the options listed, I'd go with Immortals. That was definitely a cool movie and made me more excited to see MoS after learning Henry Cavill was playing Superman. If He-Man gets similar treatment to what they did with Theseus, I'm certain there's no way he'd be mocked because of the camp that was established by FILMation.
    I make my own MOTU video game stuff. Check it out.

dA - wallbie.deviantart.com
    YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/wallbieswarriors
    Daily Motion - http://www.dailymotion.com/wallbie#video=x14o6e4

Heroic Warrior
    @granamyr80 - I don't suggest turning He-Man into a costumed wearing super hero. MOTU should still look like and be based on our beloved characters that we older fans know and love. The setting should also remain a strange world where fantasy and science fiction elements mix.

The poll is asking about the tone and filmography (which by the way are two different things). Why wouldn't Sony seek to emulate the success of a $1 billion worldwide picture? I won't repeat the points that I made above (you can see them twice since I'm quoted), but i think specifically the tone of the Marvel (Disney) movies would work. The Avengers has all the ingredients that would make for a fun MOTU movie.

Also, to write of The Avengers as a "generic superhero franchise" is kind of snobbish. Maybe I misunderstood what you meant.
    Avengers was a huge success because it was the first film that brought together in the big sreen Marvel's big names that they have an almost 50 years continuous and uninterrupted editorial comic book history and presence, with millions of fans around the world. That's not the case of MOTU which is not a super hero franchise but more a high Fantasy combined with Sci/fi elements world, and most importantly not even close to popularity and recognition as the Avengers.
    And i' m sorry if the "generic superhero franchise" was sounded snobbish. It was not my intention. What i was meaning is that the Avengers are a more "classic" super hero team (for example comparing them with the X-Men, which deal with more mature content). But MOTU is not close to both of them.
    My opinion is that Sony will have not afraid to treat MOTU for what it is. A High Fantasy franchise with a lot of potential if they will be able to build a good story.

@granamyr80 - Cool, cool, sounds like we both have similar things we want in a MOTU movie. I totally get that a big part of the success of Avengers was based on the huge existing fan base, and I don't expect MOTU to be as big as Avengers. What I'm saying is the elements that made Avengers good would also be good for MOTU. In other words Avengers would be a good model for MOTU to follow.

Lord of the Rings - very epic and amazing trilogy of movies, but in my opinion too dark for MOTU.

John Carter - awesome and underrated movie, but the tone was a little bit all over the place, not sure of what it was trying to be. Visually very good, but MOTU will need more color.

Heroic Warrior
    @granamyr80 - Cool, cool, sounds like we both have similar things we want in a MOTU movie. I totally get that a big part of the success of Avengers was based on the huge existing fan base, and I don't expect MOTU to be as big as Avengers. What I'm saying is the elements that made Avengers good would also be good for MOTU. In other words Avengers would be a good model for MOTU to follow.

Lord of the Rings - very epic and amazing trilogy of movies, but in my opinion too dark for MOTU.

John Carter - awesome and underrated movie, but the tone was a little bit all over the place, not sure of what it was trying to be. Visually very good, but MOTU will need more color.
    They could follow the Hobbit's example still LotR epic but more light hearted. Another good movie with a similar tone and story with MOTU is Krull from the 80's.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    If the MOTU movie will try to be a generic superhero franchise like the Avengers or JL, especially with all the amount of superhero movies that we are having now, then is destined to fail, lost between other far more popular and recognizable characters. Look what happen to the DC Iron Man cosplay He-Man. It 's falling apart to the monthly sales.
    I agree strongly with this; well-said!

Prime Warrior of Esgeal Mercury's Avatar
    I forgot to include Avatar in the options, (The James Cameron film) due to the visual effects/3D and also the tone of it. Although I love the Last Airbender cartoon, I didn't care much for the live action movie version of it.
    "It's better to burn out...
    ...than to fade away"

Kurgan in "Highlander" the movie

LOTR and DKR for me.. id like to see something Epic but very grim and gritty with pop of color here and there but generally kinda of dark...
    Man lives in the sunlit world of what he believes to be reality.
    But...there is, unseen by most, an underworld, a place that is just as real,
    but not as brightly lit... a DARKSIDE.

Quote Originally Posted by H.A.L.9000 View Post
    LOTR and DKR for me.. id like to see something Epic but very grim and gritty with pop of color here and there but generally kinda of dark...
    Those movies are awesome, but in my opinion way too dark and serious for MOTU. I think a MOTU movie needs to appeal to a little younger audience if it is ever going to make a serious return. It can not and will not be able to survive if it only caters to us older fans. It needs a new generation of fans.