Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which 200x redesigns you don't like?

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Beastman-where is the war paint?
    I think the figure deserves credit for having war paint, even if the cartoon did not (I assume because they didn't want to animate that much detail).

I cant believe nobody has brought this up yet, but FISTO!!

Whats up with the 70 girly tiara. He looks like hes 70 years old with that thing. Also not a big fan of the steampunk inspired giant hand.

TUNG LASHOR: looks great on the cartton , but awful as a toy, also his legs are all funny

HISS: See everything said before.

TEELA: should be older

Whiplash: too fat

MOSQUITOR: blood tanks? seriuosly they changed the laser for a squirt gun?

Rio Blast: not a fon of the giant gun hand, otherwise very god

..and for the record I actually like Clamp Champ

Merman and He-man

Defender of the Elders Red Trinity's Avatar
    I can't believe I forgot to mention my absolute least favorite figure of the whole line: Prince Adam. I think it's because I refuse to even display him and he lives in a box in the closet.

I just have nothing good to say about this figure. I hate everything about it. His face looks constipated, the hairstyle is more akin to Luke Skywalker than Prince Adam. And the size makes him look about five years younger than Teela.

Yuck, yuck, yuck.

Widget
    I couldn't in good faith say that I dislike any figure, I love the 2002 series too much. But I guess I do have a few minor qualms with some figures.

Man-At-Arms' head seems a tad too small behind all that bulky armor.

Skeletor looks too scrawny in his mid-section.

Teela could use a slight haircut. I don't mind the long hair, I think it goes well with the character upgrade.

Orko looks a bit too big..

I wish TrapJaw was a little less top-heavy so that you didn't have to bend him back so far to get him to stand up.

Fisto's cool, but I don't like that thing on his head. Too distracting. It would be cool if they made him able to go down on one knee and punch the ground. I think that would make for a cool action feature.

Zodak is also cool (hey...I kinda like the glow-in-the-dark tattoos), but I'm torn between wether I like the idea that his human face is visible (unlike the classic figure), or that the kinda goofy-looking mask was included (like the classic figure). Classic look, or updated look...hmm...

Kobra Khan looks a bit scrawny, and the hood is huge.

Two Bad and Roboto are two of my favorite figures. As for the stactions, Jacked-up Grizzlor is cool. All the new weapons make him feel more like a hunter. The fur I don't mind at all, because it stays true to the original figure. Webstor is awesome - I like that you can put weapons in his smaller...spider..hands, whatever you call them. Makes for a great Buzz-Off competitor. And Snout Spout is surprisingly cool! He looks almost evil, and the detailed design is incredible.

Overall, the action figure/staction line is solid, especially for a collector like me that keeps everything sealed.

Skeletor's head was also way too small, I can't believe nobody EVER complained about that one...its ridiculously obvious.
    MOTU FANATIC 4EVER

Hmmmm.

I really like them all.

The He-Man fig was poorly done on the part of Mattel. But I like the FourHorsemen's vision for him, and the latest incarnations of him are the best.

But if I MUST nit pic, then I'd have to say that I've always wanted Man-At-Arm's Shoulder armor to be a bit smaller.
    Maybe nix the moustache.

The Exclusive Moss Man was a cop out.

All the non-FourHorsemen variants stunk.

And all the vehicles were pretty lame. I would've wanted to see the FourHorsemen have their way with the classic vehicles vs. Mattel's shop.

Basically with the exception of MAA, Anything Mattel did without the FourHorsemen for MotU? NOT good.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Gots to agree with the greatest artist of all times!

I liked em all. And while people hated the Sorceress I LOVED it.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

I'm Anime Hyper-Detailed Battle_Brak's Avatar
    Snake Face: I never liked the old toy, and the new design is undoubtedly a huge improvement, but I really hate the addition of red into the color scheme. The purple/green/black look on the original looks more solid and less cartoony.

Tung Lashor: I love the new Tung Lashor, but like many have stated he's just not the "real" Tung Lashor. The old toy was clearly based on a poison arrow frog. The new one lives up to his Snakeman status, but I'd love to see an updated Frog-Lashor.

He-Man (action figure): I never had a problem with it, until I got the mini-statue. He just looks terribly cheap, his shoulders are disturbingly square, he has pasta for hair, and he's hunched over like an orangutan. The 200x color sceme is really boring and pales in comparison to the classic colors on the mini-statue.

King Hsss: I like the MYP design enough, but the figure is almost unforgivable. It's still hard for me to believe the 4H sculpted that abomination. I think they were drugged or sleeping or both. The sculpt is far to cartoony and simplistic, and the colors are over the top. It really looks more like one of my nephew's yugi-oh toys than an MOTU figure.

Finally I know this thread is about designs but I have to mention the Webstor staction. Love the design, love the sculpt, but I really wish there was some way to display him. Mine has gumby legs and does a somersault off his base within 20 minutes of setting him up.

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    I think the only design I didn't actually really like, was Rio Blast. I just think the six-shooter arm looks way too stupid. And his moustache is all wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    Basically with the exception of MAA, Anything Mattel did without the FourHorsemen for MotU? NOT good.
    You didn't like the Snake Armour... To this day, this remains the best he-man design of the 200x era.

Yes, I like it better than the battle-armour. It looks a bit too bland for me.

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by Predabot View Post

You didn't like the Snake Armour... To this day, this remains the best he-man design of the 200x era.

Yes, I like it better than the battle-armour. It looks a bit too bland for me.
    I didn't like the Snake Armor or the Battle Armor. Admittedly, I have never liked the Battle Armor variant, even as a child I only liked the original. I think the only variant I liked was the Ice Armor, which is a pretty no frills design in a lot of ways.

Evil Snake General General_Rattlor's Avatar
    I love He-Mans Snake Armor. Best He-Man armor design ever. Much cooler than the pretty naked original version.
    What I didn't like:

Grizzlor: I loved the Cartoon look, but the Staction simply isn't Grizzlor for me.

Zodak: Same here. I liked him in the cartoon but the action figure just sucks. He is much to small and his pose is weird.

Stinkor: Same here. I loved how he looked in the cartoon. His head, ears, claws - he is a fantastic redesign. I could'nt wait for an action figure, because I'm a Stinkor fan, so I build a custom figure. I thought the Staction figure would be much cooler than my custom, but I was absolutely disapointed when I first saw him. Chest Armor and the backpack are great, but that's it. I hate most details, the colors and esspecially the head sculpt of the Staction.

Leech: He looks cool from the side perspective, but from the front he looks just ridiculous. I was shocked when I saw the first pics.

King Hiss: Everything has been said before

Roboto: I'm not sure why. Maybe it's just the design of his legs, combined with his very slim upper body. And it sucks that he only has 2 weapons.

Tung Lashor: I loved his design in the cartoon, but I don't like the staction. With a closed mouth and a better leg pose he would be cool.

Whiplash: To small, to fat and his face looks pretty stupid.

Evil Lyn & Teela: I love both designs. Teelas design is absolutely pretty and Evil Lyn too. The only problem is, that both are much to big. It's not the horsemens fault, it's Mattels.

I love all the others...
    Last edited by General_Rattlor; September 9, 2007 at 10:40am.

Heroic Warrior
    Yeah Roboto was disappointing. He looked awesome in the photos, then I finally (finally!!) got one and was so disappointed. For some reason when I got him in my hands it was like... weird and wrong. And the shiny-shiny colors are awful.

I don't like a lot of the redesigns. I was completely in love with then when they first came out, but as time went on I actually started looking at them closely. The changes made, the little details, most of the time they seem like bad choices.

Why all the hate for Sorceress? I liked the re-design, especially with the classic orange and blue colors.

My least favorite re-design is He-Man. I agree that he should be bigger, and that new sword is just dumb, as well as the axe and sheild. I do like the SNake-armor version, though.

That's it, I absolutely love the rest.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Fright Zone (Etheria): Prisoner of the Horde
    I hated the new sword, Teela, the Sorceress, Castle Grayskull.
    Practically, I disliked almost everything perhaps with the exception of Prince Adam (but although I liked how he looked as a cartoon I didn't like him as Adam...).
    Now if we are talking toys, they looked more or less like their toon versions so I think that you can guess my opinion of them
    If a man is proud of his wealth, he should not be praised until it is known how he employs it.
    Socrates

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    A.Einstein

On the animation side of things, I agree with mermaidliz on the sword, the Sorceress, and Castle Grayskull.

Teela had pros and cons vis a vis the original, and I like both MYP and Filmation Teela for their unique charms.

MYP Man-At-Arms seemed a bit too flooded with stuff on him, I felt.

Most of the MYP redesigns I liked (King Randor as King Randor, Mekaneck, Buzz-Off, Count Marzo, Evil-Lyn, Beastman, Hordak, etc...). MYP does deserve credit for taking characters like Mekaneck, Moss Man, and Buzz-Off and making them look far less kiddish.

Still, I think that they experimented too much with the core hero cast.

On the toy side, virtually everything is an improvement (keep in mind that the 80s mattel toys frequently looked little like the actual cartoon versions), at least on an aesthetic level. For actually playing with the figurines, I would have no idea.
    "I'm not just crying for Hordak. I'm crying for the saddest thing I know - a wasted life. To be given that most precious gift - the gift of living, to do with as we choose. I'm crying, because this man has chosen to throw it away, and when he goes, nobody will care..." - She-Ra ( "My Friend, My Enemy")

Co-Creator of the NV
    I agree about not liking the sword much. It seemed too complicated to me and I don't like the moving parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    I agree about not liking the sword much. It seemed too complicated to me and I don't like the moving parts.
    I think that they should have stuck with the Filmation design, and simply make it look a bit sharper (the edge of He-Man's blade looks a bit blunt to me in some She-Ra episodes that I've watched with him in them), and maybe larger. The handle part should have been left alone.
    "I'm not just crying for Hordak. I'm crying for the saddest thing I know - a wasted life. To be given that most precious gift - the gift of living, to do with as we choose. I'm crying, because this man has chosen to throw it away, and when he goes, nobody will care..." - She-Ra ( "My Friend, My Enemy")

A big fan of Slush Head
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    Yeah the Power Sword should have never been changed!
    That was a horrible mistake.
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

Fright Zone (Etheria): Prisoner of the Horde
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bock View Post
    Yeah the Power Sword should have never been changed!
    That was a horrible mistake.
    Needless to say how much I agree with you
    If a man is proud of his wealth, he should not be praised until it is known how he employs it.
    Socrates

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    A.Einstein

80sMasters.com freespeach Brian Ozone's Avatar

My Beefs!

King Hiss is terrible all around.
    The original worked becasue thats the technology they had then. Im sure they could have done something alot better with detachable arms and head. Sorta like a transformer and wel he kinda does transform.

Prince Adam is more like preteen Adam. Hate it alot. Would have made him a bit older and stronger. And a better weapon then a staff which I never saw him use in any cartoon or comic.

Heman i like alittle. If he was more bulky like that new 2up at the Con that would be better.

Alot guys here dont like the Whiplash but I think hes pretty cool.

Beastman I like but it looks like hes pinching a loaf. I would have made him stand tall and broad.

Skeletor I would have made him a bit more Bulk-y-er. Hes a strong dude lets see him strong.

And the all the girls and Buzz-Off better to stand and if I remember Tra-Jaw too.
    http://http://80sMasters.com/
    It's your place for Freedom of Speach for everything MOTU, POP, TMNT, , Horror, Wrestling, DC and Batman, and all other properties that are cool.
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter.... BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

I pretty much like all the new designs. But the one I wish they did different was Ram Man. I would have made him in a much bigger scale, and I would have given his legs much more muscle definition.
    Later!
    "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets." Matthew 7:12

I really detest he-man's figure from the new line, but in the cartoon he looked alright, especially Ice Armor. But has anyone seen the box-art for the classic-colors He-man?? THAT is how I always felt He-man should look. I really couldn't stand the neo-classic he-man prototype from the last convention, but that art-work is spot on for how I'd hoped a figure/staction could look. I do like Ice Armor's toy a lot, though, and though the Snake Armor was perfect except for the stance.

King Hiss was one of my absolute favorites from his original mini-comic, but even though I thought he was okay in the new cartoon, I really felt that something was lost by not going with more of a hybrid of the two. Keep the look and charisma of his human form from the old mini-comics, but the ruthlessness and power of the new, combined with that awesome and creepy snake form from the new (old one was dopey, except for the cover of one of the snakemen magazines with snake mountain in the back. That thing was wicked!). As it goes, I really felt they could have made an incredible villain if they combined the best parts of both, but instead levelled him into more of a generic, 2d bad-guy role. The toy and cartoon human forms didn't do much for me, and the toy's snake form was just abominable.

Ram Man. His legs are still stuck together? The details were nice, but they thought they could have done more. A little too close to the original, me thinks.

Moss Man. Okay, actually looking at him he's really not that bad. In fact, he's not even a blatant Beast man clone to me. The flocking does make him look like a bit of an updated version of the old. Still, I think the 4HM could have gone even further with a retooling if they had the resources to really make him cool. Roots around his body, leaves, vines, etc, could really have made him pretty cool. To be honest, I wasn't too crazy about the 4HM Moss Man as he appeared in the comic, but I think with a bit of work it could still work for me. The cartoon version was different, but I kind of liked it. When I first saw him, I thought Moss Man was of a particular class of forest guardians who became plant-like, and the lion guy from the show was just another race who also became such a guardian.

Tung Lashor. Love his size and bulk, but the toy's head really bothers me, and the Predator jaws were very disappointing since his first appearance. There were many times on the show where he was shown to have a slightly longer snout that narrowed at the end instead of the usual bull-dog mug, and those few times I really, really thought he looked pretty much perfect. But the wider, flatter, rounder face/head didn't do anything for me (and neither dd those jaws).

There are a number of toys that I actually really enjoy the sculpting of, but I think were unfairly hurt by bad paint jobs. I actually loved Mer-man the way he was (yellow is way too garish, and I preferred a more subdued, natural brown or tan for his armor), but Man-e-faces needed normal skin-color, Kobra Khan needed his show-colors, and Rattlor could have been toned down a little (although I love his toy still). Otherwise, I'm really very happy with all of them.

I really can't wait to see Spikor, Ninjor, Scareglow, Modulok and Extendar.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

As an eighties kid, I was genuinely excited about the resurrection of He-Man, when I heard about it. When saw how awesome the figures looked, I just had to get my hands on them all. And I did, except for some variants, repaints and chase figures. If I have to say which ones I'm not terribly happy with, it would be the same as almost everyone else's.
    He-Man: Mainly because his head was in a really odd position, and turning his head even a little made him look deformed.
    Skeletor: I liked his design, but his head is really tiny. Looks a little strange.
    Leech: They couldn't have done much more, but he was pretty bland looking and nowhere near the quality of Clawful, Snouty, etc.

I liked all the female characters and I thought Whiplash and Clawful were incredible. I spend many a pleasant hour just examining the detail on these figures. I really hope more stactions and (if the movie goes well) more quality action figures get released. In fact, I would be overjoyed if Mattel completed the 200x action figures, and the 4 horseman completed stactions of all the figures (including already released as 200x action figures). But I've always been a little hopeful...

Well heres my picks...

King Hsss: I don't mind the human form but I really don't like the Snake form. I still wish his human form looked like the MYP toon more with the blood red etes & yelloe face & ofcourse the smirk that came with the classic toy.

Clamp Champ: Never liked the character & I'm not into the new design.

WhipLash: He fell pretty short considering the classic fig which I really loved. I'm not saying its a bad design but I would have prefered hum to be more aligator like rather than a goblin in his looks.

Sorceress: I just liked the classic one a lot more.
    My DA Page

www.TheBeastLegion.com is officially online. You can read the Manga in it's entirity there! Hope you give it a try enjoy it.

Beast Legion FaceBook Page ...Join me & help spread the word!!