Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which 200x redesigns you don't like?

Tung Lashor could have been better. He's a little bland. It would have worked on a smaller figure but the size shows up his lack of detail.

Khan had a great look but I don't like him being so skinny. He was one of my top 3 or 4 favourites from when i was little, and having him go from jacked to wimp was hard to swallow.

Roboto's feet were just too big and made the rest of him look puny.

On the whole I love the line and even the figures i'm nopt 100% convinced by are still good toys. For me it's more to do with nostalgia and personal taste.

Devourer of Souls Barron Gagnat's Avatar
    The Sorceress: I was dissapointed with the Sorceress. A totally different character now. They've changed her look completely. Baaah!

Tung Lashor: he was the only one of the original snake-men I ever liked, but now he hasn't got that poison-frog look anymore.

Rio Blast: What's with the huge gun-barrel of an arm?

Also dissapointed that several figures don't have theire original colours. Mattels fault, not The 4 horsemen. And Zodac's change of colour, the tattoos and his removable helmet stinks.

Heroic Warrior
    To me, the only new designs that didn't appeal to me were Battle Cat and Panthor. I also did not like the new Castle Greyskull look, either. Everything else was fabulous.

I'll revive this old thread rather than starting a new one.

I will give two character redesigns - one I like and one I do not.

The first is Zodak. Horrible representation of the character, IMO. Filmation Zodac was way better. Please do not get technical and argue that he is a completely different character

The redesign I really like is Triclops. Filmation made Triklops a complete buffoon. I thought he was pretty cool in this series. He had a brain and could invent things.
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

I agree. Tri-clops really shined. Both as a figure and as a MYP character. I know some don't love the idea, but he makes a great tech master in my opinion.
    Bad redesigns? Don't entirely love Teela's odd hair, but otherwise 4H hit multiple home runs.
    Please see my arts gallery here: www.pcpfh.wordpress.com Have fun browsing!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Quote Originally Posted by MLHumble View Post
    I agree. Tri-clops really shined. Both as a figure and as a MYP character. I know some don't love the idea, but he makes a great tech master in my opinion.
    Bad redesigns? Don't entirely love Teela's odd hair, but otherwise 4H hit multiple home runs.
    I'm fine with Teela. Orko really grew on me, but Adam... not so much.

Heroic Warrior
    All 200X updates are very cool to me and I love them all, but they're not perfect...

Kick-ass designs with minor flaws:

Whiplash, Two Bad and few others should have been bigger, but otherwise they're perfect..
    Orko should have been smaller..
    Couple more paint ops/shading would be cool across the board..
    Couple of nitpicks here and there, but nothing major that ruins the figure for me (they should have hide the "plungers" on figures' backs a little better, some stylistic choices, like Teela is too "manga", Fisto should have had the sword and such)..

Missed opportunities/ruined by bad choices:

King Hssss - ruined by action feature and bad proportions, otherwise very cool design itself...
    Zodak - too pre-posed and has weird proportions, but again, awesome design...
    King Randor staction - too random, he could be any fantasy character from Ned Stark to King Arthur, they should have included iconic cross on his chest armor...
    Battle Armor He-Man staction - too plain, almost like they reused vintage Battle Armor..

Bad:

He-Man - it's funny how every 200X He-Man variant is better than regular He-Man.. Even those variants that are essentially repaints with different armor are somehow better than regular He-Man..
    I am more than MAN..., more than LIFE..., I AM A GOD!!! And now.. you.. will.. kneel... KNEEL!!!!

My toy collection

My Deviant Art

Buzz-Off was impossible to stand on his own. Had to lean him until I got stands.

Hated the ankle pouches on the female characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bock View Post
    I just want to know how many feel the same way regarding certain 200x figures.
    I think the 4H have done an amazing job but like everything in life there is nothing perfect.
    There are several 200x redesigns that I don't like that much.

Here is my list:

Tung Lashor: I feel like he is a different character, I don't feel he is the same character from the 80s. I love his 80s version but the 200x doesn't look like the classic at all.

Sorceress: The 200x is not the Sorceress IMHO.
    I hate the egyptian look.

King Hiss: Though this is not the fault of the 4H, I don't like the new Hiss.

Whiplash: Another redesign that doen't feel like the 80s version. Too fat, and looks dumb.

Clamp Champ: I don't hate the new design in this particular case but I think he doesn't look that cool. I prefer the first Clamp Champ we saw a few years back at the Comic Con that used Fisto parts.

He-Man: That figure we got is not He-Man.

So how about you ?, which 200x redesigns you don't like? or would like to change something about it?
    I love all the 200X redesigns for various reasons and to different degrees, as I feel they breathed new life into all the characters. Visually, the 200X era characters have no negatives, and some of those you have listed are my absolute favorites, especially Tung Lashor and Whiplash whose body types broke the mold for the figures.

While the toy version of Whiplash had more defined scales/abs which was an improvement over the cartoon version, all 200X had to offer was wonderful. Both cartoon and toy versions of every 200X character brought so much to the brand.

I don't like any of it. The designs are too busy, too many parts/pieces on them. It has the opposite effect making the characters look rather dull and generic. Maybe it's just how the animators rendered them, I think that they goofed on all the designs for 200X.

I gotta give Mekaneck thumbs up after getting the figure in hand. I always found the vintage figure plain and the character incredibly dull in Filmation.

Granted, there isn't a big difference and the two versions are more similar than different, but I just think he looks a little better and was used a bit more effectively in the newer series.

Heroic Podcaster
    Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post
    I don't like any of it. The designs are too busy, too many parts/pieces on them. It has the opposite effect making the characters look rather dull and generic. Maybe it's just how the animators rendered them, I think that they goofed on all the designs for 200X.
    Quoted for truth...or at least because I agree 100%. That said, I enjoyed some things - I actually really like Zodak whether he is a new character or a redesign of the old one. I liked new characters Evilseed, Calix, Tuvar and Baddrah. The show was fun. The toys were terrible.

The designs had some good points overall but the figures were, in my opnion, the worst MOTU figures since NA (sorry NA fans!). The detail is fine (if too much for this line) but the lack of articulation, added to the crotch-out exaggerated pose of every single character was just so anti-MOTU to me. Sure, the old 80s guys dont stand either (at least well) but frankly they weren't designed to. And they do not thrust their crotch at you constantly.

While I liked Zodak's radical change, others were just not MOTU to me - Roboto's giant Robotech feet and shoulders, Fisto's giant(er) hand, Trap Jaw's giant arm, just on and on. It isn't 'updating' something just to make things bigger.

But the fact that each figure could only be posed one way was the killer. The Stactions were more honest because they never called themselves "action" figures.
    QUEEN ANGELLA! BLAST ATTAK! Buzzsaw Hordak Dragstor Flying Fists He-Man GWILDOR!
    Lazer Light He-Man Lazer Light Skeletor MERMISTA! MULTI-BOT! NINJOR! Peekablue Perfuma
    Rotar Saurod SPINNERELLA! SSSQUEEZE! Terror Claws Skeletor TUNG LASHOR! Twistoid

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
    Quoted for truth...or at least because I agree 100%. That said, I enjoyed some things - I actually really like Zodak whether he is a new character or a redesign of the old one. I liked new characters Evilseed, Calix, Tuvar and Baddrah. The show was fun. The toys were terrible.

The designs had some good points overall but the figures were, in my opnion, the worst MOTU figures since NA (sorry NA fans!). The detail is fine (if too much for this line) but the lack of articulation, added to the crotch-out exaggerated pose of every single character was just so anti-MOTU to me. Sure, the old 80s guys dont stand either (at least well) but frankly they weren't designed to. And they do not thrust their crotch at you constantly.

While I liked Zodak's radical change, others were just not MOTU to me - Roboto's giant Robotech feet and shoulders, Fisto's giant(er) hand, Trap Jaw's giant arm, just on and on. It isn't 'updating' something just to make things bigger.

But the fact that each figure could only be posed one way was the killer. The Stactions were more honest because they never called themselves "action" figures.

While I think it is cool that he comes with a removable helmet in figure form, I really dislike Zodak in the cartoon. The original zodac had a purpose. The 200X Zodak apparently just meditated all day long until it was time to fight some long lost enemy. Horrible character development and the facial expressions were dreadful.

I actually like the big weapons and attachments. It's part of the line's identity. And nowadays most lines skimp on the weapons and accessories

- - - Updated - - -

As for Orko being too tall, do we actually know how tall he is? Did they ever reveal his legs or even that he had legs???

Heroic Podcaster
    I can see both those points Phil. Zodak was certainly a pretty straightforward character, I can see where he could seem boring.

I really liked his visual 'makeover' - especially his glowing blue tattoos. I also thought the change in skin tone was nice, both to increase the diversity in MOTU and also because it looked so much more badass with the red and white cosmic enforcer armor.

I always thought the 80s Zodac looked like a wandering kitbash. Space head, hairy chest, naked legs, grey clawed feet or boots - just a mess. He looked like the very first MOTU knock off!

Though, weirdly, he and He-Man were my very first two MOTU figures ever. I look back at my 8-year-old self and think, "Self! How did you pick Zodac over Skeletor or Beast Man or even Mer-Man or Man-At-Arms? What's wrong with you, kid?"
    QUEEN ANGELLA! BLAST ATTAK! Buzzsaw Hordak Dragstor Flying Fists He-Man GWILDOR!
    Lazer Light He-Man Lazer Light Skeletor MERMISTA! MULTI-BOT! NINJOR! Peekablue Perfuma
    Rotar Saurod SPINNERELLA! SSSQUEEZE! Terror Claws Skeletor TUNG LASHOR! Twistoid

That is interesting. I'm pretty sure Zodac was like the last guy in the wave that I got. Stratos was also a late pickup. Was never too thrilled with either of them. But Zodac was a pretty cool character in Filmation.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, I have always loved his clawed feet. That's the best part of the figure

Heroic Podcaster
    While I think the hairy chest (cast in caucasian flesh tone no less!) is weird, it is the funniest part to me. Like a 70's era space cop/intergalactic playboy. He just needs a gold necklace and maybe his armor could have a butterfly collar!

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Hmmm don't like...

Tung Lashor: I didn't care for him since they made him this big hulking brute.

Orko: Just a personal preference. At least with the action figure, he is just too big.

Teela: I like the "more mature" Teela of Filmation/vintage, especially her body shape.

Queen Marlena: Absolutely does not feel like that character at all. May as well be someone totally new.

Otherwise though, none are really coming to mind. In some cases I may prefer a vintage of MOTUC design over straight 200X, but still like the design just fine.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    I love 200x! I liked seeing a new look for the motu characters & I especially liked the difference in size for some of them.
    the real issues of dislike comes from some of the toy designs.

Worsted Toy Designs:

1. King Hissss- lazy. the snake part is real bad. plus he is not really articulateable
    2. Prince Adam- dumb hair & face
    3. Teela- face is awful
    4. Battle Cat- dose not look right
    5. She-Ra- lazy
    6. He-Man- face is not right
    7. Ram Man- face looks like a cabbage patch kids
    8. Kobra Khan- needed more paint apps
    9. Orko- to big & needed paint in missed places
    10. Moss Man- lazy variant instead of his own design
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    My biggest issue with 200x was always the He-Man figure. I actually loved almost all of the other figures, but the first time I saw He-Man at my local TRU I was sadly dissapointed.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

I think the designs were great no matter what but do i have to like them.

Hell no! Thatīs another story.

So here is my list of characters:

Sorceress: Why the complete color change? Why egyptian? Why real wings? FILMATIONs Sorceress design was perfect.

Prince Adam: A teenager with a sword as big as himself? Adam is a grown up to me.

Teela: ...again, why should she be sixteen, skinny and small. Whatīs with the skirt? It looked cool on Xena though...!

King Hsss: Sandals? Really? And he looked way to snaky even in disguise.

Tung Lashor: Why make him the muscles of the team? The design was nice but that wasnīt Tung Lashor too me.

Everyone else i like and from all those designs Evil Lyn was my favorite!
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither