59 33.15%
  • BattleCat can talk, but Cringer cannot

18 10.11%
  • BattleCat cannot talk, but Cringer can

10 5.62%
  • Neither BattleCat nor Cringer can talk

91 51.12%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Battle Cat need a voice actor?

Movie mayhem!

Does Battle Cat need a voice actor?

Should cats be allowed to talk in the new he-man movie? What do you prefer? then...

BattleCat and Cringer can both talk
    BattleCat can talk, but Cringer cannot
    BattleCat cannot talk, but Cringer can
    Neither BattleCat nor Cringer can talk

Co-Creator of the NV
    Yeah, the battlecat thread really needed a poll to tally up the votes.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Personally I would like only Battle Cat to talk, something that only happens when he is transformed. I wouldn't like Cringer to talk at all.

Fright Zone (Etheria): Prisoner of the Horde
    Those of you who voted neither...
    Shame on you!
    If a man is proud of his wealth, he should not be praised until it is known how he employs it.
    Socrates

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    A.Einstein

Co-Creator of the NV
    My prefs are neither or just cringer. I actually kinda like the idea of cringer talking, but if it means BC also talking, then I'll happilyhave neither.

Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    Personally I would like only Battle Cat to talk, something that only happens when he is transformed. I wouldn't like Cringer to talk at all.
    pretty much ditto, I don't think it makes sensse to have cringer have the abilty to talk and 'Cat doesn't. it makes more sense the other way.

something I thought about the whole Battlecat talking thing - in filmation they planned and animated Battlecat saying "And I have the power too!" during the transformation sequence. they decided just to have him roar. I think it was wise because him talking there wouldn't have worked. if they keep that kind of mentality and only have him talk when it works I think it will be REALLY cool - ESP if voiced by keith david.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

A big fan of Slush Head
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidliz View Post
    Those of you who voted neither...
    Shame on you!
    Yeah I agree with you my friend!!
    They must be able to talk.
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

Movie mayhem!
    So 12 people so far think he should talk in SOME way... and 8 so far think he shouldn't ever talk. EEEK... I didn't expect it to be so split

He-Man should have a telepathic link with him like the BeastMaster

And the Battlecat/Cringer voice in his head should be Keith David or Blu Mankuma.
    ...and I'm spent...

Mandola [my band!]

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Well, even if BC does not talk, he will probably still need a voice actor. Even in live action films most of the growls and roars that you hear from animals on film are actually done by human voice actors.

If he does not talk like Aslan, it is even possible that Frank Welker might get to do his voice. He does a lot of animal sounds for movies.

Just keep it so that BC can talk. maybe Cringer if it isn't too whinny.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Heroic Warrior corytheguitarhero's Avatar
    This was I think the only poll I voted in that veered away from the original story..

I only did so because I think that well.. I don't know.. really.. talking animals are cool I guess but it would be cooler if Battle cat had something like a telepathic connection with Adam and HeMan.. if not I think it will sound too much like.. I don't know.. Battlecat?

it's not one of my favorite parts of the story.

Nope. Talking cats is a stupid concept. Too 80s-cheesey-fantasy.

I'd be OK with a Telepathic link, though. But no kitty-speech.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

I'm Anime Hyper-Detailed Battle_Brak's Avatar
    Battle-Cat should be a cat, and I should know I'm Battle-Brak. Let's keep the vocalization to purrs and growls.

I'll just apologize for the slant rhyme now, that's inexcusable.
    Check out my various dinosaur sculptures: http://he-man.org/forums/boards/show...re-in-progress

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    Nope. Talking cats is a stupid concept. Too 80s-cheesey-fantasy.

Talking cats isn't any more of a "stupid" concept than talking animals of any other species. It's been around for centuries. Maybe your view comes from finding it very cheesey in the Filmation cartoon, but with today's special effects technology they could really pull it off. Either that, or just find a talking cat.

I voted Battle Cat can talk but Cringer shouldn't, but I think now I'd vote both should, if only for the fact that that's canon MOTU. Cringer and Battle Cat both speak.
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    Talking cats isn't any more of a "stupid" concept than talking animals of any other species. It's been around for centuries. Maybe your view comes from finding it very cheesey in the Filmation cartoon, but with today's special effects technology they could really pull it off. Either that, or just find a talking cat.

I voted Battle Cat can talk but Cringer shouldn't, but I think now I'd vote both should, if only for the fact that that's canon MOTU. Cringer and Battle Cat both speak.
    I think that talking animals is stupid in general, not just related to cats. I don't mind it too much for dragons because dragons aren't real animals and they're so strongly based in the realm of fantasy.

But like I said, I can more easily swallow cringer talking than Battlecat. Cringer is a whiny little wimp of a cat and his sounding pathetic and scared works for me. But BC talking just makes me shudder.

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post

Adam: "What's that, Cringer? Timmy's in the well?"

***raises sword***

"BY THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL ... "
    Last edited by Mirage; September 21, 2007 at 12:15am.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    I think that talking animals is stupid in general, not just related to cats. I don't mind it too much for dragons because dragons aren't real animals and they're so strongly based in the realm of fantasy.
    Well, everybody has different tastes. I don't see why it should be "stupid". It's creative, it's unique, it's fantasy. For example Narnia wouldn't be Narnia without the Talking Beasts, but even there it's very specific (not all have the gift of speech, etc.).

And who says dragons aren't real? Just because no one's found one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthLatveria1837747
    But like I said, I can more easily swallow cringer talking than Battlecat. Cringer is a whiny little wimp of a cat and his sounding pathetic and scared works for me. But BC talking just makes me shudder.
    What about in Filmation though?
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Co-Creator of the NV
    Well, everybody has different tastes. I don't see why it should be "stupid". It's creative, it's unique, it's fantasy. For example Narnia wouldn't be Narnia without the Talking Beasts, but even there it's very specific (not all have the gift of speech, etc.).
    Truthfully, the animals in Narnia didn't seem like animals to me. They were just humans with animal bodies. There wasn't much that was particularly animalistic about them. Battle Cat I want to be a beast though, an actual animal, and the second he speaks that aspect of him is totally lost to me.

What about in Filmation though?
    That was one of the worst parts of Filmation for me, and trust me, there was a lot that I hated, hahaha.

Truthfully, the animals in Narnia didn't seem like animals to me. They were just humans with animal bodies. There wasn't much that was particularly animalistic about them.
    Okay, twist the knife in my heart why don't you? lol I hope at least you mean the film more than the books, but oh well.

Battle Cat I want to be a beast though, an actual animal, and the second he speaks that aspect of him is totally lost to me.
    Just because he can speak? Well that seems to give more of an understanding as to why you didn't see the "talking" animals in Narnia as animals. Hmm...

That was one of the worst parts of Filmation for me, and trust me, there was a lot that I hated, hahaha.
    Oh I know, I know. lol

Co-Creator of the NV
    Okay, twist the knife in my heart why don't you? lol I hope at least you mean the film more than the books, but oh well.

That was based solely on the movies *including the old BBC productions*, which I happened to really enjoy. I am sure I could enjoy a movie with a talking battlecat, but I would much prefer battlecat to be an animal as opposed to some guy in a giant cat's body. And I'm sorry, but the second he talks, that is all i can see him as.

I'm Anime Hyper-Detailed Battle_Brak's Avatar
    Truthfully, the animals in Narnia didn't seem like animals to me. They were just humans with animal bodies. There wasn't much that was particularly animalistic about them. Battle Cat I want to be a beast though, an actual animal, and the second he speaks that aspect of him is totally lost to me.
    You hit the nail on the head. Animals should act like their respective species. Otherwise you just have another human in the cast. I want the whole Battle-CAT experience, not some guy who happens to looks like a cat.

Seriously, if people want Battle-Cat to talk then the filmakers should just scrap him altogether. Replace him with a human character people are interested in seeing. There's no point putting a cat in the movie when people are more interested in having an extra human character.
    Check out my various dinosaur sculptures: http://he-man.org/forums/boards/show...re-in-progress

That was based solely on the movies *including the old BBC productions*, which I happened to really enjoy.
    I love the old BBC productions too. We seem to be in the minority on that one, but I'm very big on nostalgia and childhood, and that's when I first saw them (I started reading the books first though and fell deeply in love with them). I couldn't stand the new Narnia film from a few years ago, and would love to have boycotted it if I'd had the time and resources. Alas, *sigh*...

I am sure I could enjoy a movie with a talking battlecat, but I would much prefer battlecat to be an animal as opposed to some guy in a giant cat's body. And I'm sorry, but the second he talks, that is all i can see him as.
    Well I'd like to see you say that when a real predatory cat comes up to you and strikes up a conversation. Then we'd see if you saw him (or her) as a "person in a body suit"! And I wouldn't want talking Battle Cat done like the BBC Narnia movie effects, no way, lol (scenery, props, and music were top notch in those, but the animal costumes did leave quite a lot to be desired!).

Heroic Warrior SERPOSsSerpentina's Avatar
    Snake Mountain, or maybe in your basement! Or Behind your back when you are not looking! YAAHAHAHAHAA.
    If any of his forms talk... It seems a bit too Filmation for me.

Maybe telepathically. To only Adam and maybe to The Sorceress..

But really. Talking animals. I love them. But. If you must, I mean, MUST have him talk... Come up with better voices than the one in the Filmation series!
    ALL HAIL SERPOS!
    THE SNAKEMEN WILL RISE AGAIN!

SSSSSSSSNAKEYSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by SERPOSsSerpentina View Post
    If any of his forms talk... It seems a bit too Filmation for me.

Maybe telepathically. To only Adam and maybe to The Sorceress..

But really. Talking animals. I love them. But. If you must, I mean, MUST have him talk... Come up with better voices than the one in the Filmation series!
    I wouldn't even want telepathy. Telepathy is usually shown as voices. I could handle it if there was a limited ability to see through BC's eyes *which iirc was done in the beast master*, but if the telepathy involves BC actually "talking" to HM i am totally against it.

BC should remain an animal.