View Poll Results: Would it be okay if they made new characters specifically for the movie?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

28 17.72%
  • Maybe, depending on the situation/character

52 32.91%
  • No

78 49.37%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Characters

Co-Creator of the NV

New Characters

Would you mind if there were some new characters made specifically for the movie? Perhaps a new hero or a new henchmen for skeletor, assuming that a lot of the other characters make it into the movie *so it's not just BM, Skelly and EL for the bad guys like it was last time*.

When would you be okay with it if they made new characters?

Also, while we're at it, would you mind if they reused some of the characers made for the 87 movie?

Defender of the Elders Red Trinity's Avatar
    No, not yet. Back when the old movie was made the toyline was still going, there were magazines and comic books, and MOTU was everywhere, so any new characters had a chance to be put into the mainstream line (as happened with Gwildor, Saurod and Blade).

Now there's nothing, and this is our only chance to see our favorite characters in anything new. So I'd rather have a new movie toyline Triklops, for example, than some new random made-up bad guy that would fill his position.

A big fan of Slush Head
    I don't see why they should put new characters on the film.
    We don't need new characters yet, for a cartoon that would be ok but for the movie no way!

MOTU has so many great characters that deserve to show up, that I would hate if some new weird character took the place of one of them.

So my answer is no, I don't want new characters in the movie.
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

Co-Creator of the NV
    My feeling on the matter is that it depends on what purpose the character serves. If it something that has never been dealt with, then perhaps it makes sense to create someone new to fulfill the role if there is no character that is suitable for it.

For instance there is the question of an inventor for Skeletor. I am not sure how Modulok plays into the old series, but I think he ended up working for the Horde. In the new series, Triklops was the inventor. Some people, myself included, would prefer for him to be a master swordsman and bounty hunter. So would you guys mind if they created someone for the purpose of giving Skeletor an inventor?

I think that the inventor-type character could easily and sensibly be filled by a modified Trapjaw. Trappy already uses a bunch of inventions and whatnot and it would make sense if he was the one creating them.

But there is a character type that I think that MOTU has always needed and has never been dealt with. That is a villain who is He-Man's equal. There is no sense of urgency or danger when you have a hero with no weaknesses who is fighting villains that are clearly inferior.

So far, the closest that MOTU has come up with they completely dropped the ball on, which was Faker. Faker is a robot and no robot will ever be He-Man's equal. He might be a tougher battle, but if you asked the average fan how many fights He-Man would win against Faker if they fought 100 times, the answer would almost certainly be 100, or at least in the 90's.

This is why I would like to see one new character who can match He-Man. Someone who is just as powerful, just as strong, just as smart and has no weaknesses.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I think its OK to have new characters, I wouldn't like a movie where we have all the characters we know all having a particular role, it would be too much like Street Fighter the movie.

I'd like there to be new characters who play Commanders of troops, maybe a Skull/Bone type commander for Skeletor's bone warriors, maybe a female tehnician for Skeletor instead of Tri-Klops?a wise old wizard/creature who lives in cave who gives He-Man some help with things?

I don't think they should just restrict the characters to old ones, 1-2 new ones would work well if they are well written into the storyline.

It depends. If the character is going to be a useful part of the movie than yes I'm all for it.

However knowing hollywood they will add new characters to make the movie politicaly correct and they will have no useful purpose in the movie other than to sell more tickets. In that case I say Hell no to any new characters.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Co-Creator of the NV
    I like the idea of there being a character made to lead Skeletor's troops. None of this current people seem to have the brains or tactical ability for that sort of thing, except for Evil Lyn and she I see as being more of a right-hand man type than a troop leader.

motu77 brings up a good point about the PC thing though. I hadn't thought of that, but I would be horrified, annoyed and disgusted if they created people simply to have token minorities.

i say a resounding hell yes!

that's one of the things that made filmation so interesting and myp so dull, Eternia needs to be populated and that means characters. now I don't want new characters omitting established ones though. so no making up someone where an established guy could have easily been put in. We have to remember MOTU is a toyline before anything else, so to make it legit as a story we'll need non toy, original characters. people for the toyline guys to interact with, protect, threaten etc.

That being said the new characters should not be just humans. we should see different species/races as extras and minor role characters.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Saurod and Blade make cameos but I'd prefer they appear in sequels.

Also in filmation Trap Jaw was pretty much the inventor for Skeletor, so a new character for that role would in MY opinion be unnecessary. I prefer TriKlops as the swordsman bounty hunter as you said, and Trappy as the weapons master - he makes a a good counter to Man at arms. even in appearance, MAA's right left arm is the one that's armoured and weaponed, while for trap-jaw it's his right.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I'd rather they used the characters that already exist. However, if the appearance of some new character is well justified - then OK, they have my blessing

I think new minions for skeletor are alot easier to make then a hero under he-man without making it look over powering. it is alot easier to make a villian as a humans it is easier for us to be bad then good.

Example: Sparkle McRazmatazz - Female hunter with the powers to confuse her enemies, and turn themselves into dust and move around helping people.

Bad: Sonic Boom- a female speleean warrior with strong vocals that can knock out even a strong beast unconciense at the same time while destroying object and laying waste to helpless villages.

Ok so i might have went a little over the top with the good guys name. but honestly. more villians makes for a good battle when he-man has to fight them. must i bring up the end battle of Council of Evil Part 2 season 1 of MYP of the 200x series? the more villians makes it a bigger obsticle for he-man to face thus making a very cool action sequence for the movie.
    Men who crave power, look back on all their mistakes, pile them all together and call it destiny.- Sorceress

Good Journey- Eternian saying
    Review of 2002 Image comics Masters of the universe Vol 1 #1 of 4: Here
    Trodorne's Masters Of The Universe Heroclix board. Here.
    Masters Of the Universe Heroclix Custom Dials. Here

I've gone for the maybe, only if they add anything to the film that no existing character could!
    Tweet Me!

I've just changed my profile picture because we got Geldor in MOTUC!

Co-Creator of the NV
    I am actually amazed by how many "yes" votes there are.

Evil fears the Knight mattnotis's Avatar
    With as many interesting characters that MOTU has, it's not neded.
    Wabawalawoo!!!

I think new characters would happen regardless, but they should not be main ones. You would need little pee ons and such you know, extras of sorts to fill in spaces.
    Laser Power Heman, Megator and Tytus. Either MOC, MIB or Mint complete. Cash paid (when I can).
    Pm me if you have anything the I dont have!
    Haves:Trades:Haves and Trades:

Good Trade/Sales: racer_x, oICEMANo, Dr Bo, jaggerart, THEGODBEAST, ts toys, Pig Boy, Brother Boney x 2, Peter, he-man fan, jmb410s, JOAH-MAN, BleakMamba, Father Fisto, JME2000, Lordak and many more but forogt some.

Heroic Warrior corytheguitarhero's Avatar
    I voted no.. I think new characters are interesting, but too many took away from the feel of the original story in the 87 movie..

Thereby making it like some crappy offspring of RoboCop and the Highlander..

Please.. not another Gwildor or the LA Riot police that Skeletor had following him around.. They sucked.. bad..

Heroic Warrior SERPOSsSerpentina's Avatar
    Snake Mountain, or maybe in your basement! Or Behind your back when you are not looking! YAAHAHAHAHAA.
    Mmmmnehhh. They don't have much to work with or build up with...

Now. I'd now like to see a live action show with real people. A televison show. You know. With live people. ...Maybe then. I am not sure.

Then again... If it worked with Star Trek. ...It might, MIGHT work with MOTU.
    ALL HAIL SERPOS!
    THE SNAKEMEN WILL RISE AGAIN!

SSSSSSSSNAKEYSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Quote Originally Posted by SERPOSsSerpentina View Post
    Mmmmnehhh. They don't have much to work with or build up with...

Now. I'd now like to see a live action show with real people. A televison show. You know. With live people. ...Maybe then. I am not sure.

Then again... If it worked with Star Trek. ...It might, MIGHT work with MOTU.
    it would work if they made it cerebral like star trek and not just an excuse to battle skeletor for a half-hour.

I would prefer they stick to the characters we know and love, and no "in name only" silliness (COUGH::HalleBerryCatwoman::COUGH).

But I might grudgingly tolerate it depending on the situation on screen.
    It's great being Lord of the Thundercats - especially hanging out with Cheetara - but the one draw back is that He-Man can still beat me up.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post1993306
    Somewhere In Exo-Squad, a fan art by Matt Tyree (just in case you're curious)

Absolutely not. I feel totally robbed when the 1987 movie changed Tri-Klops to Blade. Also, Karg could have been Trao Jaw and Saurod be Kobra Khan.

The new movie should use characters from just the first two series from the original line (pre-Filmation):

He-Man; Skeletor; Teela; Man-At-Arms; Beast Man; Stratos; Mer-Man; Zodak; Zoar; Tri-klops; Trap Jaw; and Battle Cat. Any more than that would be too many characters.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Skeletor is a must have as far as new movie goes. Count Marzo is the only other villain that I think could handle a lead villain role. Hordak would be great but thats asking alot.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    But there is a character type that I think that MOTU has always needed and has never been dealt with. That is a villain who is He-Man's equal. There is no sense of urgency or danger when you have a hero with no weaknesses who is fighting villains that are clearly inferior.

So far, the closest that MOTU has come up with they completely dropped the ball on, which was Faker. Faker is a robot and no robot will ever be He-Man's equal. He might be a tougher battle, but if you asked the average fan how many fights He-Man would win against Faker if they fought 100 times, the answer would almost certainly be 100, or at least in the 90's.

This is why I would like to see one new character who can match He-Man. Someone who is just as powerful, just as strong, just as smart and has no weaknesses.

Instead of making him a robot, how about genetically engineering him?

I propose we do a "Jurassic Park" thing: Tri-Klops slashes He-Man with his sword, gets a sample of He-Man's blood, and then Presto! We grow a complete genetic copy of He-Man in a test tube!

(Of course, if you REALLY want something MOTU-worthy, Skelly can always use He-Man's blood as part of a spell and do it that way. )

Master of Power Suction Killian's Avatar
    The MOTU freak show of characters would be difficult to bring to live action without it looking like yet another Power Rangers movie.

New characters maybe sharing some aspects of the original characters or drastic redesigns of existing characters would give it more credability.

Maybe.
    He who dies with the most MOTUC wins!

I had to go "maybe". It's gotta be centered around the characters we're familiar with, but there's no harm in introducing new ones if they're minor and/or help weave the story together well. The good thing about having a new character is that you don't have any preconceptions. The bad thing is some fans may not feel he/she really belongs in the lore.

Heroic Warrior
    With all the veritable HORDES of characters running around, I don't foresee there EVER being a time when they NEED a new character for a certain role. There are so many cool characters SOMEONE can already fill that slot. I don't even care if they go further than the standard 8 backs if they don't want to. Bring in ninjor, Stinkor, Webstor etc.... all the "or's"

Personally I would prefer Trap jaw and Triclops, but if the don't want them, there are LOTS of characters to choose from. I agree with VZX that said

"Tri-Klops to Blade. Also, Karg could have been Trao Jaw and Saurod be Kobra Khan."

Myself Saurod would have been merman, but the point remains Don't invent people to take other peoples roles.

Heroic Warrior
    I don't see any point to invent new characters. There are loads of already existing characters to choose from, and most of them are great ones too.