Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: He-Man customs art project

Widget

He-Man customs art project

This is a little personal project that I have been working on for a little bit. I remember when I had the Masters of the Universe toys when I was younger, I would commonly trade out arms and other parts to create new custom characters. It was simple because many parts of the old toys were removable. I took that same mindset, but approached it with different artistic skill sets that I had acquired over the years, and its been quite a fun and explorative project.

As a general rule for myself, I only used parts of the original MOTU toy series, combined with somewhat raw materials and found objects. I strictly didn't use any parts from other toy lines. It seemed more fun and creative that way. I've attached a little bit of fiction for each of these characters as well. I hope you like them.

Hideous and frightening in form, this beast is a champion of the great battle arenas. Pitted against man and beast alike, he has yet to be felled in mortal combat. Whether from a lost line of of a once greater species, or some grotesque creation of a dark sorcerer is unknown. The beast does not speak, but appears to understand those that do.

Widget
    In ages past, for crimes long since forgotten, this monster was shackled and chained in the deepest dungeons. Bloodlines of kings came and gone as it sat undying in the cold and wet darkness. Any remnants of sanity and intelligence long since cracked and broken away from such solitude. In a fit of bestial rage, the prisoner tore it's weakened and rusty bonds away, and escaped once again into the wilds. Hunters traveling the furthest stretches of untamed wilderness tell tales of the chained beast who haunts the forest, feasting on the fleshes of the land.

Co-Creator of the NV
    wow, that looks spectacular.

Nice job so far. But Trap Jaw´s Head is not the right decision for this Custom.....
    Greetings from Germany!

Please excuse my bad english.

Widget
    The idea I had for this next character was of an immortal demon, with tremendous physical constitution. As a ritual, he would carve patterns into his ever healing flesh, and pierce himself with large decorative rings. From these rings he would hang dismembered pieces of victims.

Widget
    This mechanical man exists as a combination of technology and magic. What little essence of thought and will that could be harnessed by the strange arts gave life to the otherwise cold and dead metal man. Acting as a guardian and service drone for it's creator, this clunky robot wields slow but great strength. A large amount of maintenance is required to prevent rust decay and stiffening of joints.

Widget
    In the jungle stretches of the far southwest grows an abundant and hugely sustainant plant, the Shucao. Breaking apart it's leaves reveals the nectar inside that has proven to be a miracle medicine salve for the peoples of the lands. Over the centuries, as practice mixed with tradition and superstition, one tribe adopted a brutally sadistic practice for only the highest of it's warriors. Engaging in a ritual that lasts days, the warrior will slowly have the outer layers of his skin peeled off, and his naked body coated in the clear juices of the Shucao. During this practice, the healing plant all but keeps the warrior alive as they endure insufferable pains. It provides a "second skin" that eventually bonds with the flesh itself, offering a coating of unseen protection. Many die, but those that survive are revered highest in the social order, and their will and honor is strengthened by the ordeal. Legends say that a Shucaoan Warrior has never been seen running from battle. Bitter in temperment, Horrific in appearance, and divine on the battlefield, they are also the most compassionate to their peoples. Many take on the spiritual belief that they are stripped of their humanity with their skin, and become a higher manifestation of protection for the community as a whole.

Last edited by oracrest; September 7, 2007 at 09:29pm.

Widget
    In a failed experiment of sorcery, a hive of overgrown and violent wasps was created. Overtaking their creator, they escaped to the nearby swamp lands. What scattered remnants of magic that coursed through their bodies, and down their bloodlines, gave rise to this sentience of living sap and honey. drawing upon the collective thought of the hive, and attaining a form of consciousness of it's own, this amorphous monstrosity is neither it's own being, or the collective thought of the hive, but a strange combination of the two. Allowing the hive to now travel, this beast slowly lurches through the lands, providing protection and transportation for this cursed wasp colony.

Widget
    I always loved skeletor, But hated that idea of a skull attached to a muscular man. With this one, I wanted to hide the body, and leave the physical form more to the imagination.

POP and Customs Mod heftysmurf76's Avatar
    OH! These are sooooo cool and ORIGINAL! I really love what you've done here. The paint job on MAA really stands out, so intricate and awesome, I also like the paint on Trap Jaw's face, simply amazing works of art!

KNOCK-OFF MESSIAH galaxy warrior's Avatar
    great stuff....very dark i love it. some really great ideas. thanks for sharing.

THE CONTINUING WORLD OF MOTU

http://cotuworld.blogspot.com/

That is some disturbingly weird stuff!

But I really love it ... that skin-less MAA is my favorite, but all of the others looks pretty kickass too!

You really should do more in this style...
    ..:: it rubs the lotion on its skin ::..

THESE COLLECTORS ARE HIGHLY RECOMMENDED TO DEAL WITH:

Kaleb1974 (5x) ~ Peter (3x) ~ JOAH-MAN (1x) ~ TIRPITZ (8x) ~ rougewelder (1x) ~ Facelessone (12x) ~ King-ironic (1x) ~ boggs32 (2x) ~ onthoofder ~ ess7477 (1x) ~ Sl@yer (8x) ~ 2-packs (7x) ~ Arkangel (2x) ~ PIOSOL (3x) ~ pyrelus (1x) ~ Scare_Glower (1x) ~ mondo (1x) ... Thanks guys!!! :-)

Widget
    Thanks! I am glad that you like them. These are the first few, and I have several more already primed and ready to start painting. I am trying to think of some more artsy ones to do, like the liche and melting man... ones that are more than just a matter of painting combinations of heads/arms/legs

Co-Creator of the NV
    Honestly, I have no interest in the classic line of figures but if they had things like this out there my point of view on it would quickly change. This stuff is freaky as all hell, incredibly well done and outright amazing.

See this to me shows great imagination and creativity, I love it! It reminds of a lot of certain vinyl figures like the Dunny (see example of a Dunny art show here: Dunny Opening Party), where the focus isn't the overall sculpting quality (since it is intentionally simple and iconic) but what the artist does with it to make it unique and singular. Once again, great work and I look forward to seeing more from you in the future!!!
    The former Glass Shrimp also known as See-Shell

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Glass Shrimp View Post
    See this to me shows great imagination and creativity, I love it! It reminds of a lot of certain vinyl figures like the Dunny (see example of a Dunny art show here: Dunny Opening Party), where the focus isn't the overall sculpting quality (since it is intentionally simple and iconic) but what the artist does with it to make it unique and singular. Once again, great work and I look forward to seeing more from you in the future!!!
    Yeah, come to think of it, it was probably from seeing a lot of those dunny pieces, and other art-inspired figure projects that got the ball rolling in my head to do some of these. I always like how even the original toy line had to make clever uses of molds to make many more character with only subtle differences of color or features. Both the Dunny things and the original MOTU line are very "design within limitation" type of projects, and I wanted this to be the same sort of thing, for sure.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    SCARY stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by oracrest View Post
    Yeah, come to think of it, it was probably from seeing a lot of those dunny pieces, and other art-inspired figure projects that got the ball rolling in my head to do some of these. I always like how even the original toy line had to make clever uses of molds to make many more character with only subtle differences of color or features. Both the Dunny things and the original MOTU line are very "design within limitation" type of projects, and I wanted this to be the same sort of thing, for sure.
    Yeah, "design within limitation" I love that style, it shows so much imagination to take a dozen pieces, and have to use at least six together at a time, and them make into something unique with each and every combination through changes in color, markings, and minor modifications. That's kind of the theory behind the "COTU" concept here on the 'Org... to take the existing concept of MOTU, and use re-coloring, various parts combinations, and minor modifications to make brand new creations. Great stuff.
    The former Glass Shrimp also known as See-Shell

A big fan of Slush Head
    These are fantastic and very dark. I love them.
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

Robots and Monsters! TrimmTrabb's Avatar
    Word. Much like the Dunny artists, I dig the way that you have used the iconic forms of these figures as a canvas for your own art. Very inspirational!

These pieces are simply amazing. I am blown away.
    Read my comics at Nakedmancomics.com

Heroic Warrior corytheguitarhero's Avatar
    This is a little personal project that I have been working on for a little bit. I remember when I had the Masters of the Universe toys when I was younger, I would commonly trade out arms and other parts to create new custom characters. It was simple because many parts of the old toys were removable. I took that same mindset, but approached it with different artistic skill sets that I had acquired over the years, and its been quite a fun and explorative project.

As a general rule for myself, I only used parts of the original MOTU toy series, combined with somewhat raw materials and found objects. I strictly didn't use any parts from other toy lines. It seemed more fun and creative that way. I've attached a little bit of fiction for each of these characters as well. I hope you like them.

Hideous and frightening in form, this beast is a champion of the great battle arenas. Pitted against man and beast alike, he has yet to be felled in mortal combat. Whether from a lost line of of a once greater species, or some grotesque creation of a dark sorcerer is unknown. The beast does not speak, but appears to understand those that do.

Those are GREAT customs.. more like what the REAL He Man series should be like I think.. Dark and Mysterrious. full of magic...
    It would be great to see the movie go this way.

Widget
    Thanks for such positive feedback everybody. It has been a really fun project that I have had in the back of my head for a long time, that I just have finally gotten around to working on.

I was very inspired by works such as Barlowe's Inferno, the "Gnomes" series of books, "Worlds: a mission of discovery," and similar works. These all combine art with some contextual descriptions that make them feel much more alive and interesting. I was trying to do the same thing: Try and give characters a bit of history and personality.

I think I got a lot of the darker concepts out already, and some of the ones I am working on now may seem more tame by comparison. Maybe not though. What was really fun with this was how organic the process itself was. I liked just giving into artistic whim. The addition of hives/wasps on the melty guy was very spontaneous. I also had the Liche sitting on the shelf all wound up for quite some time before I discovered the sun bleached remains of a bird in the backyard... and incorporated the bones and feathers. Then he just came together.

Anyways, I am still looking for a multitude of spare parts and characters, if anyone has any pieces kicking around. I can't give too much for them, considering I'm going to essentially destroy them, but maybe you guys have some parts and pieces kicking around that you aren't using anyway. I would like to work with a Sy-Clone figure, and a webstor head. I also dont have many of the snake character parts. Just leech and tung lashor (sp). If anyone has any of these that they could sell, let me know, and we can work something out.

Dude, I love your paintjobs. I like them all exept for the skeletor and the bee-hyve dude.... Great work man, very arty...
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Evil master of... stuff. He-Lurker's Avatar
    Wow, these are great. Truly original and very scary. I love them! Skeletor is all kinds of awesome!!