Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eternia

Eternia

So, how big is Eternia? I've always wondered that. Anyone have any guesses? Has it ever been stated in the original Filmation and/or the MYP series especially?

Edit: Oops, wrong forum. I'm sorry.

I'd like it to be larger than Earth.

Given the number of races, geographical features, kingdoms... my wish is 1 1/2 to twice the size of Earth.

What always bothered me is that He-Man can ride from Castle Grayskull to Snake Mountain in an episode. So that's from one hemisphere to the other in a day on a large cat...

Yep, I'd like it to be that size too. In the Filmation series, we saw He-Man take vehicles like that Attack-Trak, the Wind Raider, and even the little flying thing (Battle Ram?) to get to distant places. Didn't really see much of that in the MYP series. It also seems like the scale of the planet seemed to vary depending on the script. Sometimes He-Man would need to make a long journey to a destination, and in others, he'd be there and back in no time. We get a good sense that Eternia is big in the MYP cartoon where we see King Grayskull taking his long journey though. And his kitty was a whole lot bigger too.

Evil Master of Meejitz super-munkyboy's Avatar
    See this is why I compare it to something like Avatar. There was a definite sense of scale. Sure it helped the idea of a great journey etc, but it felt like Aangs world was huge.

He-Man in animation has always lacked a sense of scale. It feels that everything is in He-Man's backyard. Suspension of belief aside, I think it would be cooler if it took a couple of episodes to get to the destination.

I always saw Eternia to be about the same scale as Earth, maybe a bit larger.
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    In Filmation, Marlena said it was a small planet. He-Man could get around on just Battle Cat to get to most places and quick too!

MYP seemed to support this as characters from the dark half of the planet seemed to travel on Griffins or vehicles from Snake Mountain to Grayskull routinely. In any case, Eternia would have to have been ridiculously small or Eternos is smack dab in the most central location of the light side of the planet.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; September 11, 2008 at 10:22am.

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    In Filmation, Marlena said it was a small planet.
    But being an astronaut, she would have known Earth to be a small planet, as planets go. Large planet: Jupiter, for example. Calling Eternia a small one does not mean she judged it to be smaller than Earth.
    Still remembers we paid excessive shipping on Battleground Teela. Is confident Matty will resolve the issue and make it right for us.

It's a small planet, like the size of our moon, but the inside of the planet just is very dense material so that the gravity is just slightly higher then earth's, which is why everyone is so muscular.

Most of the rocks on the outer crust are pumice type material so that they don't crush the people when they fall on them.

Quote Originally Posted by super-munkyboy View Post
    See this is why I compare it to something like Avatar. There was a definite sense of scale. Sure it helped the idea of a great journey etc, but it felt like Aangs world was huge.

He-Man in animation has always lacked a sense of scale. It feels that everything is in He-Man's backyard. Suspension of belief aside, I think it would be cooler if it took a couple of episodes to get to the destination.

i have to agree about the avatar world, i love how they have a main story that takes the hole season and lil ones with in it, i think that the biggest problem with every he-man toon is that at the end of each half hour the world is exactly as we found it and the threat it all wrapped up. ya they were a few continued episodes but there is no ongoing epic story. maybe if skelitor had one 2 plans a season that took 5 or so episodes that would have been better but to do it every time and fail in half hour gets a lil repetitive .
    dont get me wrong still love motu
    and i would likeeternia to be larger than earth , its just eternos and snake MT are close the edge of the 2 hemispheres
    Eternian Beastmaster

Evil Master of Meejitz super-munkyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leoghan View Post
    i have to agree about the avatar world, i love how they have a main story that takes the hole season and lil ones with in it, i think that the biggest problem with every he-man toon is that at the end of each half hour the world is exactly as we found it and the threat it all wrapped up. ya they were a few continued episodes but there is no ongoing epic story. maybe if skelitor had one 2 plans a season that took 5 or so episodes that would have been better but to do it every time and fail in half hour gets a lil repetitive .
    dont get me wrong still love motu
    and i would likeeternia to be larger than earth , its just eternos and snake MT are close the edge of the 2 hemispheres
    Totally agree. There was no sense of impending doom. The closest was Council of Evil, where Skeletor was actually at his most evil () and that was spread across 3 episodes.

See the Snakemen get released, and they feel like a threat, but there is no sense of conquering, or destroying...they just hide. People are scared of them, but they're ment to be this relentless mass, which eat and destroy everything in their wake.

Season 2 could have them slowly conquering parts of Eternia, The Masters arriving to late etc.
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

It's bigger than sun. >: P

Quote Originally Posted by He-bro View Post
    It's a small planet, like the size of our moon, but the inside of the planet just is very dense material so that the gravity is just slightly higher then earth's, which is why everyone is so muscular.

Most of the rocks on the outer crust are pumice type material so that they don't crush the people when they fall on them.
    Great explanation, I'm going with yours.

It's a small planet, like the size of our moon,
    I don't agree. It's small (as Marlena stated), but not that much small. Also, Marlena and the children from Earth (see Xmas Special) didn't seem affected by the stronger gravity, as you're saying.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post

Given the number of races, geographical features, kingdoms... my wish is 1 1/2 to twice the size of Earth.

What always bothered me is that He-Man can ride from Castle Grayskull to Snake Mountain in an episode. So that's from one hemisphere to the other in a day on a large cat...
    Battle Cat is super-powered, anyway.
    Last edited by Vanquest; September 20, 2008 at 08:35am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "We're the real deal, you know." - Jake Kong Jr.

GHOSTBUSTERS: http://filmationghostbuster.proboards.com/

BLACKSTAR: http://johnblackstar.proboards.com/

In the UK comics Eternia was two thirds the size of Earth.
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    In the UK comics Eternia was two thirds the size of Earth.

Yeah. Another continuity.
    "We're the real deal, you know." - Jake Kong Jr.

GHOSTBUSTERS: http://filmationghostbuster.proboards.com/

BLACKSTAR: http://johnblackstar.proboards.com/

I've been puzzling over this one myself lately, so I'm glad that I found this thread.

The issues/evidences that we have so far:

UK Comics statement that Eternia is 2/3 the size of Earth.

Filmation opening shots of Eternia show just about all of the world that the Eternians inhabit.

Marlena called it small.

Marlena did not remark on any difference in gravity, however. Neither did the Christmas Special children, and neither did Lubic, Julie, or Kevin from the film.

Conversely, the Eternians who went to Earth didn't seem to register any palpable difference in gravity either.

My theory is that, since the evidence that Eternia is smaller than Earth seems to be more commonly posited, that something along the lines of what He-Bro stated must be in effect. If it is smaller then it should have a lesser gravity - but it clearly doesn't.

If it had a faster spin than Earth then it could achieve an Earth-like gravity even with its smaller size.

I also wonder about its solar system. I guess we can safely say that it revolves around one star, and it seems like Phantos and Eronia are also a part of that system. If Eternia is in the "goldilocks zone" relative to its sun, I wonder how life exists on the other two planets? Do they have really, really close orbits to Eternia? Or are there other explanations?
    Orko: It's like the Sorceress said: sometimes, the ones who seem the worst, need our help the most.
    He-Man: You're learning.

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post

If that bothers you, just think that in one minicomic (The Obelisk), Snake Mountain is depicted to be located basically within sight of Castle Grayskull...

Quote Originally Posted by super-munkyboy View Post

Yeah, but as with other realisms (such as the issue of Eternian languages), implementing it would stand in the way of easy (and easily digestible for "casual"/children audiences) storytelling.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    In Filmation, Marlena said it was a small planet. He-Man could get around on just Battle Cat to get to most places and quick too!

MYP seemed to support this as characters from the dark half of the planet seemed to travel on Griffins or vehicles from Snake Mountain to Grayskull routinely. In any case, Eternia would have to have been ridiculously small or Eternos is smack dab in the most central location of the light side of the planet.
    Again, it's pretty hard to tell a realistic story meant for children or teenagers (who basically only care about "thrills" and a sense of "awe" and "adventure", and not about realism). Plus, having to travel, say, ten thousand miles from Snake Mountain to Castle Grayskull (which would mean a trip of several hours at airplane cruise speed, apart from all the additional "logistics" like carrying food, etc.) would bring many possible stories to a grinding halt, unless transportation were based on magic (à la Skeletor) or highly advanced [and rather incredible/unbelievable] technology (à la Star Trek).

Not that I wouldn't like to see the MotUverse being depicted according to a bit more realistic parameters than it usually is... (in fact, that's a pretty focal concern in my own canon).

Quote Originally Posted by force Capt. View Post
    Great explanation, I'm going with yours.
    It would be ridiculously small if it were the size of our Moon. What kind of hyperdense composition would it need to have in order to achieve an Earth-like gravity with just 2% of Earth's volume? (Remember that even a relatively small difference in radius translates into a relatively large difference in volume, because to calculate the volume you have to raise the radius to its cubic power.) Plus, such as small astronomical object would be very unlikely to possess a geologically active interior, and if it doesn't have a magnetic-field-inducing rotating core and plate tectonics like Earth, it would be rendered as uninhabitable as our Moon, even if it had a strong gravity to initially retain an atmosphere (the solar wind would end up blowing it out into space in the absence of a magnetic field anyway).

OTOH, if most of the outer crust is pumice, I wonder how they manage to find appropriate materials for construction, metalwork, etc. Plus, on the other hand, pumice has such a low density that it even floats on water (whereas your scenario requires totally the opposite: an overabundance of superdense rocks). And also, pumice is a volcanic material, originating in violent volcanic explosions; so if it is the most common material on Eternia's surface, it would mean lots of wild volcanism going on the planet (Vesuvii and Krakatoas all around), which would render it uninhabitable. Most of Earth's rocks on the surface are sedimentary (about three-quarters of the land).

Quote Originally Posted by Poweron View Post
    I've been puzzling over this one myself lately, so I'm glad that I found this thread.

The issues/evidences that we have so far:

UK Comics statement that Eternia is 2/3 the size of Earth.

Filmation opening shots of Eternia show just about all of the world that the Eternians inhabit.

Marlena called it small.

Marlena did not remark on any difference in gravity, however. Neither did the Christmas Special children, and neither did Lubic, Julie, or Kevin from the film.

Conversely, the Eternians who went to Earth didn't seem to register any palpable difference in gravity either.

My theory is that, since the evidence that Eternia is smaller than Earth seems to be more commonly posited, that something along the lines of what He-Bro stated must be in effect. If it is smaller then it should have a lesser gravity - but it clearly doesn't.
    Gravity is dependent on the mass of the planet, not its size. A denser planet of smaller size could theoretically result in the same amount of gravity pull. But the higher density would imply a different internal composition than Earth's (maybe a larger iron core, but this would also mean a stronger magnetic field; or it could contain a larger fraction of heavy elements, maybe even superheavy elements that do not exist naturally on Earth but that may have been present in protoplanetary nebulae originating from hypernovae).

Plus, I've read that Earth's radius is not an "average radius" for a habitable planet, but actually close to the lower end of the radius range within which a planet may become habitable (although this depends on the interrelation of many multiple factors), most habitable planets out there being probably larger than ours (what have been called super-Earths, with radii up to twice that of Earth and masses that may be five or six times that of Earth and therefore possessing what for humans would be rather intolerably strong gravities of maybe 2G or 3G that would quickly cripple and render a human helpless). So it appears that a habitable planet significantly smaller than Earth is a rather highly unlikely possibility. We are already inhabiting a planet that in terms of the Universe's "standard habitable planet" is relatively small and has a relatively weak gravity. Most aliens out there would find our planet to be about as small and light-gravity as compared to their native planet as we find Mars as compared to Earth. An even (significantly) smaller Eternia would mean it would be an absolute oddity (although, well, being an oddity would also contribute to make it more special).

If it had a faster spin than Earth then it could achieve an Earth-like gravity even with its smaller size.
    A faster spin would increase the centrifugal force, therefore reducing the perceived gravity (as that force would act contrary to it). However, I think the effect would be rather minimal (basically negligible). Just consider that the difference in the weight of an object between measuring it at Earth's poles (with zero centrifugal force) and measuring it at Earth's equator (with maximal centrifugal force) is of merely 0.35% less at the equator.

I also wonder about its solar system. I guess we can safely say that it revolves around one star, and it seems like Phantos and Eronia are also a part of that system. If Eternia is in the "goldilocks zone" relative to its sun, I wonder how life exists on the other two planets? Do they have really, really close orbits to Eternia? Or are there other explanations?
    The habitable zone may contain several planets. The Sun's habitable zone contains Earth and Mars (Mars is uninhabitable due to other reasons).

Besides, we do not really know what relation there is between Eternia and Phantos. We have heard about "the moon of Phantos", which may make Phantos a moon of another planet, possibly Eternia; or else it might refer to a moon of planet Phantos, since we have also heard about "the Queen of Planet Phantos". Or it could be that Eternia and Phantos form a kind of double planet like Pluto and Charon, where the larger one is usually referred to as the "planet" and the smaller one as its "moon", when in fact both could be rightly called "planets" (or even both "moons"?) orbiting each other (or rather, orbiting their common center of mass which lies outside of both bodies). Note also that Earth's Moon is, astronomically, actually orbiting the Sun directly rather than truly orbiting Earth, since its orbit path is always concave towards the Sun (so, most ironically, our Moon could be rightly called a "planet", rather than a proper "moon", and the Earth–Moon system called a "double planet"). So Eternia and Phantos might alternatively be related to each other in a similar way to the Earth–Moon system (i.e., Phantos' orbit around their star being synchronized with that of Eternia in such a way that from Eternia's perspective Phantos would appear to be orbiting it, so that calling Phantos a "moon" or a "planet" would be a matter of point of view).

We do not even really know for sure about the nature of Eternia as a planet-as-we-know-them. Filmation has shown it to be closely surrounded by a multitude of other seemingly relatively large astronomical objects; a view that reminds us more of Jupiter's moons (as viewed from one of them when the others are close by), rather than of how Earth and its Moon look together. So one might even think that Eternia and Phantos could in fact be moons of a larger planet (a gas or ice giant) and that they are referred to as "planets" because of their relative size (or maybe also because they may have moons of their own; i.e., subsatellites).

Also, Eternia has been described as being "at the center of the Universe". So... wouldn't that make it totally impossible for it to revolve around a star? (its star would need to revolve around it instead, à la pre-Galilean Ptolemaic geocentric system). And, OTOH, where exactly might such a "center" possibly lie in an isotropic expanding universe like the one we inhabit (where all points are and have always been simultaneously distancing themselves from all other points; i.e., there's no privileged "center point" whatsoever anywhere)?
    Last edited by uaxuctum; May 1, 2016 at 09:37am.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Marlena called it small.
    May not mean much though considering there's MANY planets much bigger than Earth so Earth itself would classify as a small planet.
    Last edited by Grimbot; May 1, 2016 at 01:32pm.

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    I've found this interesting image that superimposes Eternia's landmasses over Earth's landmasses (note there are some inaccuracies in the map of Eternia they used, regarding the position of some locations, etc., but it's good enough to give a general idea). That is, it presents what the situation would be if both planets were the exact same size.

I think it really helps in giving perspective about the kind of distances we're talking about. Such as that a trip from Snake Mountain to Castle Grayskull would be akin to taking a plane from China to Brazil (which takes almost a whole day of air travel).

Eternia would need to be (very) significantly smaller in order for the magnitude of the distances to be significantly reduced from what can be seen in that comparison. But the smaller the planet compared to Earth, the less chances it has to be able to support life as we know it on Earth. (Again, remember that a small difference in radius translates into a relatively huge difference in volume, which given a similar rocky composition would mean a much smaller gravity, etc.)

Also note that, even if the whole of Eternia's surface fitted in the size of, say, North America (i.e., a planet about the size of Pluto), the distances involved would still be much much larger than those commonly depicted or implied on most MotU media representations, where most locations seem to be reachable within something like an hour ride on Battle Cat (that is, on the order of one or a few leagues around Grayskull; i.e., maybe about the size of Rhode Island).
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

In my head, to deal with these problems, I just left the cosmic scheme at the door. I simply thought of it as one world. Even one continent. Didn't bother me after that.

I don't think the size should bother us that much, as He-man ventures to the Center of Eternia to get the Starseed and is not crushed by massive gravity, and the Weather Station allows a degree of weather control...

Given Eternia and Etheria have atmospheres and are very Earth-like in flora, fauna and climate I'd expect them to have a similar size to Earth and a similar mass.

If the planets had been significantly smaller they would probably have lost their atmospheres in their early history as Mars has in our solar system. The loss occurring through gases boiling away into the vacuum of space or through gases being blasted away by meteor strikes.

Similarly, if the planets mass had been significantly greater, gravity would have been higher causing a greater downward pull that would restrict upward growth of living matter and reduce the mobility of humans and animals as they would need to expend more energy to overcome gravity.

Having said that both Eternia and Etheria are planets where magic is in common use suggesting that it is so widespread that it might help counter the effects of gravity and other forces. The normal laws of physics might therefore not hold on Eternia and Etheria. If true, Newton and Einstein would be most upset!
    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete”
    Buckminster Fuller

Quote Originally Posted by Streamside View Post
    I don't think the size should bother us that much, as He-man ventures to the Center of Eternia to get the Starseed and is not crushed by massive gravity, and the Weather Station allows a degree of weather control...
    Interesting points. Though He-Man's own power could account for the first. What was the coverage of the weather station? I'll have to watch that one again.

It really is fun to speculate on all of these things though, and thank you uaxuctum for your analyses. I just really want to try and come to some sort of, at least fictional, conclusion for a lot of these questions. Maybe magic is our last resort?
    Orko: It's like the Sorceress said: sometimes, the ones who seem the worst, need our help the most.
    He-Man: You're learning.

Interesting points. Though He-Man's own power could account for the first. What was the coverage of the weather station? I'll have to watch that one again.

It really is fun to speculate on all of these things though, and thank you uaxuctum for your analyses. I just really want to try and come to some sort of, at least fictional, conclusion for a lot of these questions. Maybe magic is our last resort?
    He-man isn't the only one to be at the center of Eternia, however -- Orko, Beastman, Merman, Skeletor, Battlecat, and Zodac are all present there, seemingly under identical gravity as the surface. (ep. "The Search.") -- so we know that the gravity on Eternia is magically affected. The new continuities (DC Comics, MOTUC) have other folks going to the center of eternia as well.

In the episode "The Ice Age Cometh," Icer takes control of the Weather Station at eternia's north pole and uses it to send a glacier toward Randor's kingdom - and later he-man taps into the planet's geothermal energy with his sword... So it looks like there are natural systems capable of being regulated by technology and magic. On Eternia, it seems that the natural, technological, and magical are inextricably linked, and the normal "rules" of physics are suspended or otherwise compensated for by magic (a small planet with uniform gravity that nevertheless has geothermal energy and magnetic poles, and on and on...).

- - - Updated - - -

Hey all, I was puzzling over distances on Eternia, and I did some small amount of research that I'll share here (since I couldn't find a thread on this anywhere). I welcome any addendums or corrections.

Vehicle Speeds:

The Windraider is an small, open-cockpit aircraft. Comparable aircraft on Earth (bi-wing and monowing airplanes) have minimum flight speeds of around 30 mph (48 km/h) and top out at around 200 mph (322 km/h), having an altitude record of 17km (~56,000 ft) with a pressure suited pilot. 50mph, however, is considered a 'comfortable' cruising speed. Considering that it doesn't seem that even Darksmoke takes more than a day to reach by Windraider, it would appear that Eternia is *quite* small. Because of He-man's immense power, we can surmise that it's possible that he could fly the Wind Raider faster without freezing, but this would not be the case for his passengers.

Battle Cat is "faster than any steed," which means he can exceed a fast horse's 40mph (64 km/h) gallop. Incidentally, this is also a normal tiger's top running speed. Battle Cat is not a normal tiger, however, and so we can likely place his top speed much higher...

He-man, in the filmation cartoon, can run fast enough to generate a whirlwind, or generate lift if he uses his word like a helicopter blade. Various sources put this at 400-450 mph in a short burst, but due to his reliance on vehicles and the somewhat strange and inconsistent nature of these displays, we can assume he can't or chooses not to sustain this speed for long.

Outside of diving, it is likely that Stratos can with the the aid of his jetpack achieve no more than 170mph / 280km/h - around the top speed of a sailplane. The air resistance at such a speed is not negligible. Similar story for Buzz-off, but I think this may even be too fast. Top avian flight speed (self-propelled, not a dive) is around 100mph / ~160 km/h.

A Jet Sled or Battle Ram has a likely top speed of 100mph or less, basing it off of a Jet Ski and again factoring in the comfort of the rider and the purpose of the vehicle as a nimble combat aircraft. Again, perhaps it might be able to move as fast as 175 mph (motorcycle top speed).

Distances:

It seems evident from 200x that in the episode "Of Machines and Men," Randor gets from Eternos to Lithos (and back) and a single day with Battle Cat. This is in accord with an episode in the Filmation series where Teela takes Battle-Cat to Snake Mountain in a hurry (Obrero's Motuc map puts these locales near one another).

If all of this is correct, we are looking at a map of Eternia that could fit within the continent of Asia -- a very tiny planet, sustained by the Starseed.

...thoughts?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Streamside View Post
    He-man isn't the only one to be at the center of Eternia, however -- Orko, Beastman, Merman, Skeletor, Battlecat, and Zodac are all present there, seemingly under identical gravity as the surface. (ep. "The Search.") -- so we know that the gravity on Eternia is magically affected. The new continuities (DC Comics, MOTUC) have other folks going to the center of eternia as well.

In the episode "The Ice Age Cometh," Icer takes control of the Weather Station at eternia's north pole and uses it to send a glacier toward Randor's kingdom - and later he-man taps into the planet's geothermal energy with his sword... So it looks like there are natural systems capable of being regulated by technology and magic. On Eternia, it seems that the natural, technological, and magical are inextricably linked, and the normal "rules" of physics are suspended or otherwise compensated for by magic (a small planet with uniform gravity that nevertheless has geothermal energy and magnetic poles, and on and on...).

- - - Updated - - -

Hey all, I was puzzling over distances on Eternia, and I did some small amount of research that I'll share here (since I couldn't find a thread on this anywhere). I welcome any addendums or corrections.

Vehicle Speeds:

The Windraider is an small, open-cockpit aircraft. Comparable aircraft on Earth (bi-wing and monowing airplanes) have minimum flight speeds of around 30 mph (48 km/h) and top out at around 200 mph (322 km/h), having an altitude record of 17km (~56,000 ft) with a pressure suited pilot. 50mph, however, is considered a 'comfortable' cruising speed. Considering that it doesn't seem that even Darksmoke takes more than a day to reach by Windraider, it would appear that Eternia is *quite* small. Because of He-man's immense power, we can surmise that it's possible that he could fly the Wind Raider faster without freezing, but this would not be the case for his passengers.

Battle Cat is "faster than any steed," which means he can exceed a fast horse's 40mph (64 km/h) gallop. Incidentally, this is also a normal tiger's top running speed. Battle Cat is not a normal tiger, however, and so we can likely place his top speed much higher...

He-man, in the filmation cartoon, can run fast enough to generate a whirlwind, or generate lift if he uses his word like a helicopter blade. Various sources put this at 400-450 mph in a short burst, but due to his reliance on vehicles and the somewhat strange and inconsistent nature of these displays, we can assume he can't or chooses not to sustain this speed for long.

Outside of diving, it is likely that Stratos can with the the aid of his jetpack achieve no more than 170mph / 280km/h - around the top speed of a sailplane. The air resistance at such a speed is not negligible. Similar story for Buzz-off, but I think this may even be too fast. Top avian flight speed (self-propelled, not a dive) is around 100mph / ~160 km/h.

A Jet Sled or Battle Ram has a likely top speed of 100mph or less, basing it off of a Jet Ski and again factoring in the comfort of the rider and the purpose of the vehicle as a nimble combat aircraft. Again, perhaps it might be able to move as fast as 175 mph (motorcycle top speed).

Distances:

It seems evident from 200x that in the episode "Of Machines and Men," Randor gets from Eternos to Lithos (and back) and a single day with Battle Cat. This is in accord with an episode in the Filmation series where Teela takes Battle-Cat to Snake Mountain in a hurry (Obrero's Motuc map puts these locales near one another).

If all of this is correct, we are looking at a map of Eternia that could fit within the continent of Asia -- a very tiny planet, sustained by the Starseed.

...thoughts?
    Eternia could be easily at the size of the Earth. We don't have much information about the planet itself, but the coexistence of hundreds if not more of different "sapient" races and species, a lot of different civilizations and city states, and the continuous addition of different locations through various stories, implying that the planet is big at least at the size of Mars. The distances may look more contained because of the easiness to travel with the windriders or battle cat, but for what we know the Eternian technology is more advanced in certain aspects from the Earth's, that means that they could travel faster than any plane. Battle Cat on the other hand is a magic being so his speed and durability could be and they actually are unnatural. And the human Eternians are basically aliens, that could mean that they could be stronger, more durable to harsh conditions, and faster than any other Earthling human (for example humans like Fisto or Champ Clamp are portrayed to have super human strength). That could mean that they could survive in hard conditions while traveling faster in the skies with the wind riders. Also some Eternian locations look pretty vast. The Sands of Time for example seems to be at least as vast as the Sahara desert, if not bigger. And finally another important element is that Eternia has at least 2 (3 if Phantos is counted among them) big moons. Which means that from a gravity point of view, Eternia needs to have a certain mass and size.
    Last edited by granamyr80; July 9, 2016 at 06:44am.

Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    Eternia could be easily at the size of the Earth. We don't have much information about the planet itself, but the coexistence of hundreds if not more of different "sapient" races and species, a lot of different civilizations and city states, and the continuous addition of different locations through various stories, implying that the planet is big at least at the size of Mars. The distances may look more contained because of the easiness to travel with the windriders or battle cat, but for what we know the Eternian technology is more advanced in certain aspects from the Earth's, that means that they could travel faster than any plane. Battle Cat on the other hand is a magic being so his speed and durability could be and they actually are unnatural. And the human Eternians are basically aliens, that could mean that they could be stronger, more durable to harsh conditions, and faster than any other Earthling human (for example humans like Fisto or Champ Clamp are portrayed to have super human strength). That could mean that they could survive in hard conditions while traveling faster in the skies with the wind riders. Also some Eternian locations look pretty vast. The Sands of Time for example seems to be at least as vast as the Sahara desert, if not bigger. And finally another important element is that Eternia has at least 2 (3 if Phantos is counted among them) big moons. Which means that from a gravity point of view, Eternia needs to have a certain mass and size.
    Thanks, Granamyr! I have considered all those points but I'm ultimately more convinced of a small Eternia for these reasons:

Per my point above about the Starseed, it's likely that Gravity is not physical but magical on Eternia - the planet is hollow at its core, and the gravity there doesn't seem any different to anyone.

And while Eternians might be aliens, Marlena is not, and she gets from Lithos to Eternia on battle cat in less than a half day.

The sheer amount of kingdoms seems to point in favor of your reading, but really these just have to be over the horizon from one another to be explained, with each king or queen over a city and its territory. ...like Ancient Greece.

The presence of diverse species could be accounted for likewise by beings like the Goddesses.

...there are of course multiple continuities (such as the 2/3 earth size mentioned in the UK media), but I just can't harmonize a large eternia with the representations presented. (Even though a vast Eternia seems in many ways more appealing!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk