Thread: Mark Taylor's early "Skeleton King" concept from college days...

2002/DC He-Man Video guy

Mark Taylor's early "Skeleton King" concept from college days...

Rebecca Taylor shared on instagram a very cool early concept art by Mark Taylor for his "Skeleton King" idea. (Some fans who attended German Grayskull-Con in 2013 may have seen a glimpse of it in an Art Print)

While this isn't technically MOTU, I thought I'd share it here because its very cool and the later Skeletor B-sheet art by Mark Taylor has similarities.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebecca Taylor
    "It was done before Mark went to any toy companies. I found it in a sketchbook. He has a few versions of skeletons as warriors and royalty. It is based off of a story he wrote once when he was a kid in college."

"This is from a story Mark wrote in college about a skeleton King and his warriors. This guy evolved to look like this . I am on the hunt for the story and any scribbles I can find."

"I asked Mark about “D- Man” he says he doesn’t recall that being ever being the case. He is going through his notes though because he’s working on his book. If I find out anything I’ll let you know."

23668248_719227374953246_2178844163460562944_n.jpg
    He-Man & She-Ra fan and contributor to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

That PlanetEternia.de guy Sir Reilly's Avatar
    Effin' awesome! I want a figure of that!
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

So cool! You can see he reused a lot of this early college sketch later when he did the Skeletor B-Sheet

The sword design reminds me a bit of the sword he drew for Demo-Man, too:

Rebecca has shared a lot of cool stuff over the years. Can't wait to see what she shares next!
    Last edited by Lich Leech; November 21, 2017 at 09:21am.

I saw that earlier today! Very cool stuff. Some figures based on this design would make for some great army builders for Skeletor.

It would be very interesting in a story to find this is what's become of King Miro thanks to someone like Hordak.
    I make my own MOTU video game stuff. Check it out.

dA - wallbie.deviantart.com
    YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/wallbieswarriors
    Daily Motion - http://www.dailymotion.com/wallbie#video=x14o6e4

Wow, that looks awesome. That would make a great looking figure.
    My top 5 wants for MOTUC: Sharella, Hunga the Harpy, Sagitar, Snake Goddess & Red Beast

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Wow! That is very cool! Thanks for posting it, Jukka!
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

really cool. I love the artwork of his I've seen, which is precious little admittedly. This concept, though not for MOTU, would be a cool addition. In large part my favourite MOTUC Figures have been the unused or unproduced concepts.

Since this was a concept that predates his work at Mattel, they'd need Mark's permission before making a figure of this. But it would make a really cool figure!

Absolutely amazing work of art and a significant addition to the pile of facts that prove that the He-Man world is what it is thanks to the brilliance and creativity of the Taylors. This is THEIR world, and I'm grateful they decided to share their talent with all of us.

Thanks the maker the latest discoveries regarding the history of He-Man were shared through the ORG and the awesome Battle Ram Blog!

If that info would've fallen into the wrong hands, it would've been released through some unattainable limited edition ultra expensive catalog available only for VIP Platinum Black attendees of some strictly exclusive event, after the organizators felt like they hogged the material long enough to feel kings of the collector world and begun to lost interest.

This proves that you don't need to form an elitist society aimed mainly at throwing VIP parties with your friends and grow your own personal collection at the expense of fan's donations and work, in order to research and share the most amazing information regarding MOTU history.

Another win for the fans!
    Thanks Taylors! We love you!

Yes!! I'd love to hear "the story and any scribbles" if Rebecca can hunt them down!

That PlanetEternia.de guy Sir Reilly's Avatar
    I would really love this to be used in MotU Classics as base for the German audio plays' Sorcerer of Evil.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Master of New Adventures!
    Am I missing something here? Isn't the 800-pound gorilla in the room the unmistakable similarity -- right down to the crossbones on his chest -- between Mark's first rendering in this thread and Skeletor? The question I'd like to ask him is: "Did you present it to Mattel? Did they fall in love with it and did it end up, with your permission, becoming Skeletor?"

If he did, if they did and if it did then this is the Holy Grail of MOTU.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; Yesterday at 03:46pm.

Heroic Warrior
    This is interesting.

I to wouldn't mind giving that story a read.

Quote Originally Posted by Zodac View Post
    Yes!! I'd love to hear "the story and any scribbles" if Rebecca can hunt them down!
    - - - Updated - - -

It's official now.

Mark Taylor needs his own thread where the fans and other MOTU creators can ask questions.

Make it happen dot org.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Am I missing something here? Isn't the 800-pound gorilla in the room the unmistakable similarity -- right down to the crossbones on his chest -- between Mark's first rendering in this thread and Skeletor? The question I'd like to ask him is: "Did you present it to Mattel? Did they fall in love with it and did it end up, with your permission, becoming Skeletor?"

The skeletorīs missed link

Thank You Rebeca , you find the missed link of Skeletorīs evolution

I WANT MY FIGURE!

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    This is interesting.

I to wouldn't mind giving that story a read.

- - - Updated - - -

It's official now.

Mark Taylor needs his own thread where the fans and other MOTU creators can ask questions.

Make it happen dot org.
    Check out marktron's MOTU CUTSOMS photos and profile! http://fearlessphotog.deviantart.com/

Great post!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 6.5.17!!

Jafaristew...the guy that coined the term "200X."

Heroic Warrior
    Man, I absolutely love Mark's artwork. Such amazing stuff!!

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post

I respect all that Taylor has helped to create with MOTU in his work. That being said for alot of years now I have a growing ...distrust of the dates and such with his work. It's just my personal feelings and I am certain he is a warm, awesome, individual.

But I feel like it feels obvious how much credit he wants for MOTU and how much he is willing to do to get that credit.

Honestly I like his work so much I do not care if there is some looseness (to be polite) in his dates and claims. I like his work, so give it to me. That is enough. Anything else I sorta appreciate "between the lines" of what's being presented. I'm not really interested in his claims, I just want to see his work whenever and why-ever he made it.

Heroic Warrior
    Years ago Ralph McQuarrie helped to illustrate Star Wars for Lucas. Some of his designs were faithfully reproduced in the movies, and some remained sketches. In recent years they used some of his concept designs to make figures. It would be cool to take some of Mark Taylor's unproduced designs and make a specific set, like the Powercon 3 packs.

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    I respect all that Taylor has helped to create with MOTU in his work. That being said for alot of years now I have a growing ...distrust of the dates and such with his work. It's just my personal feelings and I am certain he is a warm, awesome, individual.

But I feel like it feels obvious how much credit he wants for MOTU and how much he is willing to do to get that credit.

Honestly I like his work so much I do not care if there is some looseness (to be polite) in his dates and claims. I like his work, so give it to me. That is enough. Anything else I sorta appreciate "between the lines" of what's being presented. I'm not really interested in his claims, I just want to see his work whenever and why-ever he made it.
    I haven't seen any evidence to suggest any "looseness" in his claims. I think he has the only serious claim to having had designed the first wave of figures as well as Castle Grayskull, all things considered.