Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: MOTU Celeb Fans / Pop Culture References and Appearances

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Maybe it's a Little Rascals reference...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Don't forget that Walking Dead is by Robert Kirkman, and not only is Robert in the Writer's Room for the show, but he is also a He-Man fan who wrote the 2003 Icons of Evil comic series. Maybe he had something to do with it.
    I didn't know that - that's awesome. Now I'm gonna go back to IoE and re-read them looking for similarities between them and Walking Dead

PS. We need a zombie He-Man smiley

Heroic Warrior

Masters of the Universe References in Pop Culture Thread

at 24:14ish
    "I can't imagine you as a Master of the Universe"
    It was said in a fashion that it could be meant in a natural way and not a reference to our Masters of the Universe, but still, with Walking Dead referencing He-man, I figured I'd throw this out there.
    Fabulous secret powers revealed

Are you sure he wasn't just talking about being really rich or something?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Are you sure he wasn't just talking about being really rich or something?
    She actually. It wasn't Green Arrow himself.
    I just found it funny. It's not a regular term really. But it might not have been a reference at all.

And don't forget the True Blood season 5 cameo.

Master of the Universe, is kind of a generic term really, meaning anyone who is in charge of their destiny, or thinks they can do what they want....

I know it may link back to He-Man in some way, but I doubt it was meant that way in Arrow, I watched it, I caught the line, but I didn't take it as such, it did however make me think of He-Man.

And that goes back to when I said a while ago that the Filmation cartoon made He-Man a catch phrase that still exists to this day....when someone is seen as a strong guy, they are either usually called Hercules, Sampson or He-Man....while trying to do so. The toys may have pre-dated Filmation, but the cartoon brought He-Man to everyone, that knew nothing of the line.
    Recent....Blade
    Coming....Scorpia & Battle Lion
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Elder Councilman
    This is true.

In fact, in a late '90s issue of TV Guide, there was an article about Pokemon, entitled "Pokemon: Masters of the Universe".

And ironically enough in a magazine special newsstand edition tribute to the '80s I have( don't remember which one), there's a piece about Donald Trump and others '80s financial magnates entitled of course "Masters of the Universe".

Yeah I...have a lot of magazine '80s tribute special edition issues; what can I say? I'm a die-hard fanatic for the decade
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

Quote Originally Posted by KingRandor82 View Post
    This is true.

In fact, in a late '90s issue of TV Guide, there was an article about Pokemon, entitled "Pokemon: Masters of the Universe".

And ironically enough in a magazine special newsstand edition tribute to the '80s I have( don't remember which one), there's a piece about Donald Trump and others '80s financial magnates entitled of course "Masters of the Universe".

Yeah I...have a lot of magazine '80s tribute special edition issues; what can I say? I'm a die-hard fanatic for the decade
    I miss the 80's myself, a lot of great toys, music, TV shows and memories, I was 4 in 1980, so I was a true child of the 80's. And I speak for myself, but I loved the way women dressed in the 80's....
    Recent....Blade
    Coming....Scorpia & Battle Lion
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

True Blood yes. Waking Dead yes. This? No.

I saw this when it aired last week but didn't think much of it. It was just a general expression, like in Titanic. Still always fun to hear the phrase regardless of the context!
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

Heroic Rock Warrior jdscissorhands's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Horrorist View Post
    And don't forget the True Blood season 5 cameo.
    I don't remember that... could you explain, please?
    20 Most needed characters before MOTUC ends...

Heroic: Lizard Man / King Miro / Hawke / Dakon
    Evil: Evilseed
    POP: Angella / King Micah / General Sunder/ Twiggets 3 pack
    Horde: Vultak / Hunga / Prahvus
    POG: Veena
    SnakeMen: Tung Lashor / Sssqueeze
    Rock People: Granita
    NA: Darius / Sebrian

Quote Originally Posted by jdscissorhands View Post
    I don't remember that... could you explain, please?

This past weeks episode of "Elementary" Watson (Lucy Liu) mentioned to Sherlock "You like mastering The Masters of the Universe" referring to Sherlock schooling the board of directors of a big time corporate business.

But besides True Blood, are we looking too much into it, being major fans and all, I think unless it's blunt like Nick Frost in "Hot Fuzz" when he saw the massive movie collection and said "By the Power of Grayskull." I feel it's just coincidence at times.

Don't forget this reference from The Little Rascals...

heman.jpg

Last edited by jerec350; October 28, 2012 at 05:21pm.
    View my collection and customs HERE!

There was also a great Motu Scene in "Gossip Girl":
    Blair went to a meeting which called "Masters of the universe". She thought it was an important college meeting but there were only He-Man fans talking about Eternia and Skeletor...haha ;-)
    Last edited by Firesoullove; October 28, 2012 at 05:57pm.

Heroic Warrior
    And of course Green Lantern, when he tries to activate the ring.

Impin' Ain't Easy! DreamTripper's Avatar
    Does anyone else remember the episode of the 1987 "Max Headroom" TV series when Bryce Lynch, thinking he was about to die, claimed that his biggest regret was that he never got to complete his collection of Masters of the Universe toys? Or the series about Snow White and family being thrown into our world, NOT "Once Upon A Time," but "The Charmings," in which her son asks for a "He-Man Village" for Christmas, and the Eternia playset shows up on Christmas Morning?

Support Bili the Droid
    It's GrAyskull. It's posted all over the packaging and this site.
    CANON-the body of rules, principles, or standards accepted as axiomatic and universally binding in a field of study or art, such as a storyline
    CANNON-a mounted gun for firing heavy projectiles; a gun, howitzer, or mortar.

Imp is here!
    I will change my avatar as soon as Songster is made in MOTUC

Elder Councilman
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    I miss the 80's myself, a lot of great toys, music, TV shows and memories, I was 4 in 1980, so I was a true child of the 80's. And I speak for myself, but I loved the way women dressed in the 80's....
    oh I hear that
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    This is more about New Adventures, but in The Hand that Rocks the Cradle, Rebecca DeMornay's character threatens a kid, while he was playing with New Adventures figures.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

Court Magician
    On the nickelodeon show Victorious, there was an episode where the character with the puppet was wearing a Hordak shirt. I'm not sure where the shirt was from, but it was clearly Filmation style Hordak riding what looked like a Razor Scooter. He may have been using his arm as the scooter, but it was hard to see.

On Perfect Strangers Balki was wearing Spider-Man Pajamas, Cousin Larry asked him why and Balki said "Because my He-Man Pajamas are in the laundry " if you look up on youtube 'fun with balki' you can see it at the 2:19 mark I didn't post it because the user disabled imbedding.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

How has Hot Fuzz not been brought up? Officer Danny at seeing the vast storehouse of weapons lets out the best line of a shocked "By the Power of Grayskull!"
    And of course Stewroids episode of Family guy after Stewie bulked up and lifted the weights crying I Have The Power! and the inbetween He man prompt splitting the scenes.
    Tons of others i am sure but those were the 2 off the top of my head.
    Well and Robot Chicken of course
    Find what you seek only when you look in the right places...

Hot Fuzz has been mentioned before in other threads (along with Green Lantern). Also, speaking of Family Guy there was an episode where Brian turned down riding a donkey to which Prince Adam then went on the donkey and transformed it into Battlecat and himself into He-man (if I remember correctly).

As I've said once or twice in the chatroom, Dougal from Father Ted has He-man covers on his bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

Evil Vixen/Heroic Chef Starshine's Avatar
    Family Guy has had many MOTU references.

In the episode, "Three Kings" at the end of "The Body"/"Stand By Me", Adam West shows up with Merman & Beast Man.

I know I've seen Trap Jaw in one episode and Man-E-Faces in another, but I can't remember the context of the episode other than Stewie playing with his toys.
    ~RK
    ".....We wouldn't think of putting something on the screen - whether for theatres, television, or home video - without building in pro-social values..."

- Lou Scheimer (1984)

This is what its all about, folks.