View Poll Results: How should the new transformation sequence be tackled?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • Copy original cartoons transformation on a much grander scale

103 86.55%
  • come up with something completely different

16 13.45%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: He-mans transformation

Court Magician

He-mans transformation

So should the new movie try to capture the magic that the original cartoon did with the transformation sequence or go with something new.

I for one want the original sequence copied only on a much grander scale.

Co-Creator of the NV
    hmm... I am not sure what I would want.

I would like the wording and whatnot to be the same, but I definitely don't want to see Castle Grayskull show up as a backdrop when he does it. Maybe he could do it in front of Grayskull the first time to make it look a lot like the original cartoon, but when he is elsewhere, subbing in the castle during the sequence would look asinine.

Part of me would like to see something where his body sorta bulks up, like when Banner is hulking out, but i am not sure if it would work because the clothing needs to suddenly appear somehow. I wouldn't want ripping clothes, but i kinda like the idea to see the growing.. so not sure how that could be done.

I say Original Filmation version but Live

To be honest I dunno. Good question though...
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    hmm... I am not sure what I would want.

I would like the wording and whatnot to be the same, but I definitely don't want to see Castle Grayskull show up as a backdrop when he does it. Maybe he could do it in front of Grayskull the first time to make it look a lot like the original cartoon, but when he is elsewhere, subbing in the castle during the sequence would look asinine.
    I very much like your idea of having him change in front of Castle Grayskull the first time he transforms, just as a treat to the fans. It would be silly to simply sub in a... hologram (?) ... of Castle Grayskull behind him every time he transforms, though.

That's the classic case of "What works in cartoons doesn't always work in live-action" to me.
    "I'm not just crying for Hordak. I'm crying for the saddest thing I know - a wasted life. To be given that most precious gift - the gift of living, to do with as we choose. I'm crying, because this man has chosen to throw it away, and when he goes, nobody will care..." - She-Ra ( "My Friend, My Enemy")

Just mix a little bit of the original with and updated version of it.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Heroic Warrior corytheguitarhero's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vega View Post
    I say Original Filmation version but Live
    exactly what this person said. exactly..

Fright Zone (Etheria): Prisoner of the Horde
    Gimme, gimme more of the Filmation transformation sequence live! So, yeah, practically, I am with the majority.
    If a man is proud of his wealth, he should not be praised until it is known how he employs it.
    Socrates

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    A.Einstein

Filmationstyle all the way. I love the 200x serie but they ruined the transformationsequence. I hope the movie will do better.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

I'm glad that people give Filmation it's due on this issue at least.
    "I'm not just crying for Hordak. I'm crying for the saddest thing I know - a wasted life. To be given that most precious gift - the gift of living, to do with as we choose. I'm crying, because this man has chosen to throw it away, and when he goes, nobody will care..." - She-Ra ( "My Friend, My Enemy")

he should only transform once, filmation style, MAYBE as the power flows into him, the energy fx can take the form of grayskull behind him before the big light burst, makes it more grand and you don't have the problem/confusion of having him standing in front of the real image of grayskull.

filmation is the only place they did it right. even posters and drawings didn't capture it as well as filmation.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Co-Creator of the NV
    I don't think that the MYP sequence was that bad, but I do prefer the original version because it is most iconic and should likely be the basis of the transformation sequence.

I disagree with Kros in thinking that there should be only one transformation sequence. I want both Adam and He-Man in the movie and I would like there to be times where one goes to the other and back, so we can play up the secret identity aspects of the character. I would like to see the first time the sequence is done be in front of the castle and then see it a second time before the final batter, perhaps using Kros' energy idea *although it might end up looking a bit too much like an energized version of Skeletor's face*. If there are other times in the movie where he goes between Adam and He-Man, I think the transformation should be done off screen.

I definitely want different music from the Filmation version though. I don't want that campy, cheery music that you can picture clowns juggling to. I'd prefer there to be a more dramatic piece of music.

Quote Originally Posted by motu77 View Post
    Just mix a little bit of the original with and updated version of it.
    Im for that

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    I can't really decide, since a third option, where they do something new, but highly inspired by what we've seen in the different cartoons is missing.

That's probably what I want to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    I don't think that the MYP sequence was that bad
    It was horrible.
    MOTU FANATIC 4EVER

Here's what I'd like to see in a transformation sequence.
    I've had this in my head for many many years!

Depending on the situation, lets say Adam is pretty annoyed and decides that it's ass kicking time:
    He really thrusts the sword the sword up into the air with one arm, like he's challanging the sky.
    "By the Power of Greyskull"......massive lightening charging through the blade eventually wrapping around his body.....arms slighty shaking....camera does a great run around Adam receiveing the power which is increasing steadily in brightness very fast to eventually blast into a blinding flash.... He-man is now there....arms are no longer shaking.....still lots of energy charging through his body....His sword arm lowers while his other arm raises...He-man is bathing in lightening, energy and the glory of it all now (maybe even cracking a little smile)....still lots of energy.....by now both arms are out stretched...."I have the power"....(maybe camera circuling from above).... the energy inreases and is released outwards....arms are lowered...head is down....a steaming, panting He-man now stands there and looks at the camera with a look on his face that would put the fear into gods!

So yes! I would like something brand new!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

I think the classic filmation transformation but live action would be the best way to go.

Keeping in mind many classic fans who watched the show as kids and who may not know about the .org or 200X series will be reintroduced to he-man by the movie and most will probably be disapointed if the sequence is different to what they remeber from the classic show.

JAG2045
    My feedback
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=108414
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...hlight=jag2045
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=117706

Great traders: Blue-jackal/Fneh(2)/Daz/Royalt1us/Evil-Orko/Buythepower/Booster/Adora/Zodac101/tokyonever/lemure77(2)/Vess(2)/Scorpia/Buzzsaw Hordak/miscus555/tmc1984/General Hawk 7

maybe they will have he-man as he-man and no P. Adam
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

i want an awesome transformation sequence, but only once.

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hemancrystal4ever View Post
    So should the new movie try to capture the magic that the original cartoon did with the transformation sequence or go with something new.

I for one want the original sequence copied only on a much grander scale.
    Dunno if they *can* capture the brilliance of the original cartoon. I mean, part of that brilliance was that you were a little kid, seeing your hero appear before you. You didn't think about the quality of the animation, the style, the effects. It was just "bang, zoom, oh, there's gonna be some buttkickin' now."

Even if they copied the Filmation transformation exactly to live action, I don't think it would have the same effect on us now. It would be different enough from the show to not re-awaken our inner child, and we'd be looking at all that stuff.

Filmation was a place and time that just cannot be recaptured.

What should they do as far as the transformation? I don't know. But no matter what it won't have that same magic it had to our six-year-old self. Superman Returns just didn't have the same magic for me as the original from 1978, partially because I wasn't an 8-year-old ravenous Superman fiend when I watched it, even though I thought the effects were a ton better in Returns.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Don't let worry kill you, let the Church help"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    Dunno if they *can* capture the brilliance of the original cartoon. I mean, part of that brilliance was that you were a little kid, seeing your hero appear before you. You didn't think about the quality of the animation, the style, the effects. It was just "bang, zoom, oh, there's gonna be some buttkickin' now."

Even if they copied the Filmation transformation exactly to live action, I don't think it would have the same effect on us now. It would be different enough from the show to not re-awaken our inner child, and we'd be looking at all that stuff.

Filmation was a place and time that just cannot be recaptured.

What should they do as far as the transformation? I don't know. But no matter what it won't have that same magic it had to our six-year-old self. Superman Returns just didn't have the same magic for me as the original from 1978, partially because I wasn't an 8-year-old ravenous Superman fiend when I watched it, even though I thought the effects were a ton better in Returns.
    Superman Returns was just a boring movie though so for ME that's a bad example Routh wasn't dynamic, he didn't fill the screen and the astory was just so BLAH. the effects were great but it lacked because it was poor. Pirates 2 reawakened my inner child, as did the incredibles, Avatar and some other properties. so it's possible to reawaken that kid so long as they do things right. make it stirring and meaningful, if it's not the same as filmation but it has that magic that they gave us - most of uss will feel that stirring - yes as adults we need it to hit us on a few MORE levels but it still can. I think we all have had those moments in movies (as adults) where it's hero time and we get excited. so it's highly possible
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I want something new but that keeps the essence of the old Filmation transformation. (Main poses intact and phrases.) Kinda like the last Quickening of the first Higlander movie meets Filmation's He-Man transformation. (A transformation in front of Greyskull is a must have... even if its just on the teaser Trailer. If we're lucky a slightly mixed version of the Original He-Man theme... Big epic orchestral sound, no screaming metal stuff...)
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

I pretty much agree with the masses that I want to see the Filmation sequence recreated, but only once... let it be the biggest "mark-out" moment in the movie...

I actually love the 200x transformation especially season two how u see Adam's arms growing & him getting bigger, that was AMAZING. Yeh some of the sequence could of been better but the growing part was outstanding.

So for a movie version I would like a cross btw Filmation & 200x with I guess something new just for the live action movie.
    Xena & She-Ra Rule

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Copy original cartoons transformation on a much grander scale.