Thread: King Sun - step by step

King Sun - step by step

Just for a change of pace I thought I would post the different steps I take to create my next character, the immortal King Sun.

Inspired by one of my favorite stories, Journey to the West (aka The Monkey King) my new character could be seen as an alternative version of the great sage. They are both immortal, great fighters and wield a staff / cudgel. The differences being that King Sun's immortality came from drinking a long dried up magic spring that keeps him young forever and means that his body will heal any wound, no matter how severe. Even if his body is totally destroyed the magic of the water will restore him

So for now I present the very rough sketch of King Sun...King of the Simius'

Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Evil Master of Meejitz super-munkyboy's Avatar
    And where is his floaty cloud?
    JITSU!!!! Thank the Elder Gods!!!!

DeviantART - http://super-munkyboy.deviantart.com

Commissions - [TBA]

Quote Originally Posted by super-munkyboy View Post
    And where is his floaty cloud?
    Erm...it floated away?

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsfang View Post
    Erm...it floated away?
    LOL he needs Pigsy

Sorry I kid. I love this character, but I'm also a fan of the story, in all of its incarnations..especially the new animated series thats gonna come out

Commissions - [TBA]

LOL he needs Pigsy

Sorry I kid. I love this character, but I'm also a fan of the story, in all of its incarnations..especially the new animated series thats gonna come out
    Me too, so I guess you know why I named him "Sun" then . Despite what the first post says it is actually not one of my favourite tales...it IS my favourite. Sun Wukong is possibly the greatest anti-hero ever created

One question...what new animated series?

One question...what new animated series?
    Jamie Hewlett and Damon Albarn who do Gorillaz did Journey to the West as a Chinese Opera in Manchester, but I forgot and bloody missed it.

As for new series, Le Sean on Deviantart has been showing some of the ideas on his website, its kinda futuristic They;re wearing funky clothes... it sounds amazingly cool Link link, who got da link...

http://www.battle-earth.com/home.html

Commissions - [TBA]

Next I begin cleaning up the lines...tho it is still not perfect yet, a few of these lines will be altered or deleted depending on what details I add or omit.

Sounds interesting and I can't wait to see it colored. So is he good or evil?

Quote Originally Posted by Yaoi HuntressE View Post
    Sounds interesting and I can't wait to see it colored. So is he good or evil?
    He is a good guy at heart. But like the legendary Monkey King he is a fun loving trickster who loves to party and play trick on people as much as he loves to fight.

He is a good guy at heart. But like the legendary Monkey King he is a fun loving trickster who loves to party and play trick on people as much as he loves to fight.
    So basically, he's an equal opprotunity trickster\tormentor? Man, if Hordak thought Perfuma was bad, this guy would probably make him start missing her.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaoi HuntressE View Post
    So basically, he's an equal opprotunity trickster\tormentor? Man, if Hordak thought Perfuma was bad, this guy would probably make him start missing her.
    Yeah. Tho any tricks he pulls on people he considers friends, such as He-Man, will be harmless bits of fun...where any tricks he pulls on his enemies have been known to remove eyes.

Anyway on to King Sun and bit more info on him before I post the flat colours.

King Sun is an immortal, that we already know. This actually means that he never ever gets tired, meaning he does not sleep and can keep fighting, running or whatever activity he is doing at full strength...forever. He also does not actually require food or drink but only eats and drinks because he enjoys the taste.

In his three thousand years of life, he has studied every form of martial arts on Eternia and combined them with his own natural athletic abilities to form his own style of...Monkey Kung Fu. He has also picked up a couple of magic tricks such as Teleportation and Disguise. Disguise is a magic trick that allows him to look like another person or even an inanimate object. However, unlike the shapeshifting abilities of Imp (or my own Sertek) he does not actually change shape, it is only an illusion.

Anyway here are the flats. Strange thing is that I can see what works and what doesn't when a picture is coloured better than I can if it is black and white.

Just a bit more

Just a bit more

Cool

Thanks a lot. Hopefully I will have it finished very soon.

Still if anyone else has anything to say I would very much appreciate it.

cool character wolfsfang. it warms my heart to hear love for the monkey king right here on the org! my only suggestion would be that you might want to give him more distinctly MOTU-esque costume details--like maybe standard heroic arm braces along with the typical MOTU belt + fur loincloth. his loincloth would be a tiger pelt of course.

Jamie Hewlett and Damon Albarn who do Gorillaz did Journey to the West as a Chinese Opera in Manchester, but I forgot and bloody missed it.
    man, what a bummer! i read about it and wanted to see it but, y'know... wrong continent. i'm praying that they go on tour or at least put out a DVD.

Sun Wukong is possibly the greatest anti-hero ever created
    absolutely!
    Visit my sketchblog at its new URL: JASONBOT.com!

Cambridge, New Zealand (formerly South Africa)
    Woo! Another monkey! We need more simian characters.
    Evil Simian Mechanic of the Horde!

Quote Originally Posted by bootleg View Post
    cool character wolfsfang. it warms my heart to hear love for the monkey king right here on the org! my only suggestion would be that you might want to give him more distinctly MOTU-esque costume details--like maybe standard heroic arm braces along with the typical MOTU belt + fur loincloth. his loincloth would be a tiger pelt of course.
    Well I will probably give him something typically MOTU but it won't be a fur loincloth...I have always hated those. Well apart from He-Man's because he is a barbarian and is just expected...but the others have no excuse for this terrible fashion mistake

seeing as he is getting a nice new bio over in the New Vision here is his new redesign