View Poll Results: How do you rate the vintage Evil-Lyn figure? (with 10 being the best)

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 point

0 0%
  • 2 points

0 0%
  • 3 points

2 4.44%
  • 4 points

1 2.22%
  • 5 points

3 6.67%
  • 6 points

4 8.89%
  • 7 points

7 15.56%
  • 8 points

8 17.78%
  • 9 points

11 24.44%
  • 10 points

9 20.00%

Thread: Evil-Lyn vintage figure review thread

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

Evil-Lyn vintage figure review thread

The review threads have gone a bit quiet last couple of weeks. Maybe they're not getting as many hits now polls have their own sub-forum.

Anyway, this week, brace yourselves as we look at that wicked sorceress of the night, EVIL-LYN.

Introduced as part of the second wave, Evil-Lyn was kind of billed as an evil Sorceress/Teela, having the tag "Evil Warrior Goddess". She came with bright yellow skin which, as I'll get onto in a minute, varied in many other sources.
    If the prototype is to be believed in the first UK annual, it originally had gold skin!

There is a variant on the figure's scepter - some glow in the dark, some don't.

There is also rumour on several threads that there is a variant face, although I have yet to encounter one.

Evil-Lyn appeared regularly in the cartoon series - where her skin was natural flesh coloured. And as every He-fan knows, Evil-Lyn was smarter than Skeletor himself, seemingly just sitting amongst his ranks while it suited her, until such time that she would take over Castle Grayskull for her own.

And, of course, there is the memorable first season episode "The Witch and the Warrior", where Evil Lyn removes her head-dress to reveal that she actually has short, white hair!

In the series bible, Evil-Lyn, along with Tri-Klops and Beast Man, were passengers on Marlena Glenn's ship, who mutated when it crash-landed on Eternia. I, with most people, am glad that they didn't go with this idea.

Some other MOTU media continued with Evil-Lyn having flesh coloured skin, whereas others (UK Ladybird books, a couple of mini-comics) show her with the figure's yellow skin.

Evil-Lyn was one of the only familiar evil characters feature in the 1987 movie, where she was played well by Meg Foster. In fact, the movie version Evil-Lyn is probably one of the truest to 'traditional' depictions of the character.

Evil-Lyn reappeared for the 200x revamp, where she again was loyal to her traditional appearance. The notable thing about the figure this time was that she had flesh coloured skin, as opposed to the vintage figure's yellow. I would have loved a variant with the traditional yellow skin.
    The Mike Young Productions cartoon was also in the vein of the traditional version (complete with short white hair), making her a real force to be reckoned with, committing treachery as she joined with the Snake Men, and revelations about her father. We also got to see Evil-Lyn as her younger self. Evil-Lyn was probably one of the best handled characters of the revamped MOTU.

All-in-all, the character is a key MOTU one, and the figure is reasonable. I'll give it 9 out of 10.

Those are my Evil-Lyn thoughts.
    Now I'd like to hear your own thoughts, comments, criticisms and anything else regarding the character. And whether you post or not, don't forget to rate the vintage figure in the poll!
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Along with the first 8 character (He-Man, Skeletor, MAA, Beast-Man, Zodak, Stratos, Teela and Merman) I think Evil-Lyn is one of the core MOTU figure, both as female villain and second in command of Skeletor army (as she's often depicted).

The figure by itself look nice, reusing Teela's bdy without the armor and different color made her look pretty different. Likes the wicked sorceress / evil warrior helmet with skull and all, along with her curvaceous figure she really looked like a sultry amazon from some Frazetta painting and such classic Sword and Sorcery goodness. Bold corset, big curvy thigh, barbarian fashion animal pelt boots and dashing bracer really make her in line with golden fantasy imagery.

Fantasy cannot be fantasy without evil seductress babe, and Evil Lyn figure do her much justice for that part. Remove all mythos around it, and just by itself the figure you can guess she's the evil warrior chick!
    - Dr Bo.
    Man of Kitsch, Robot and Glamour. And some barbarians hero, too.

Member with whom I completed great trade and transaction: Lady Angora, Royalbliss, 10incher, Secret_defender, Bosskmr, LupaLuna, Motu2002, Buzz Saw Hordak, Malakai9999, Racer X, Igorr & Cpuwizshot.

Opinion.

I think that Evil-Lyn old figure is pretty good, yellow skin grows up her evilness. Yellow skin is good, but I think that Filmation clothes would be better, purple and black fits more on the mistress of all evil. Evil-Lyn sure is a powerful character and in my opinion,the most smartest villain on Eternia, she use Skeletor in her own dark desires by taking Grayskull and kingdom of Eternia as her own. She and Sorceress of Grayskull are like rivals: Sorceress is good and she use white magic, but Evil-Lyn is evil and use dark magic. I also think that a dragon would fit to be as Evil-Lyn's steed. Shadow weaver also reminds about Evil-Lyn, both are evil, they are second-in-commands of the lords of evil and they use dark magic. I also think that Evil-Lyn is not from earth, she is more like an evil sorceress, who hated the royal family and cursed infant Adam & Adora that Hordak could kidnap them.
    Last edited by evil-lyn167; September 28, 2007 at 03:44pm.

Chris here...

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post
    The review threads have gone a bit quiet last couple of weeks. Maybe they're not getting as many hits now polls have their own sub-forum.
    I think you're probably right!

On the subject of Evil-Lyn, I really love her figure - I have to say I prefer depictions of Evil-Lyn with flesh coloured skin, and also it's a shame that her body is a repaint of Teela. But, I nonetheless had to give her a 9 out of 10 because she is such an important and iconic character, easily one of my favourites, and someone who I always made (and make) a lot of use of in my MOTU games!

The last time I played with my MOTU figures (which was back in the summer), I actually set up a storyline whereby Skeletor was set up by Evil-Lyn to be captured by the Heroic Warriors, leaving her to rule over the bad guys, thus increasing the danger to He-Man and co. - so, you can see that Evil-Lyn is always at the forefront of my mind!

Take care...
    Are you fed up with the problems you've been experiencing buying from MattyCollector.com?

If so, please consider joining the Facebook group Mattel Toys - Petition for Change, to present a united voice to Mattel calling for change.

MOTU Classics is an amazing toyline, and collecting it should be fun. Let's try and make a difference.
    --------

www.thundercatslair.org

I always liked the Evil-Lyn figure. It was good to have a witch just as powerful asthe Sorceress.

Plus you gotta love the glow in the dark staff!!!!!
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Chris here...

Quote Originally Posted by motu77 View Post
    Plus you gotta love the glow in the dark staff!!!!!
    ...Except that, on the Evil-Lyn I have, her staff doesn't glow in the dark!

Take care...
    Are you fed up with the problems you've been experiencing buying from MattyCollector.com?

If so, please consider joining the Facebook group Mattel Toys - Petition for Change, to present a united voice to Mattel calling for change.

MOTU Classics is an amazing toyline, and collecting it should be fun. Let's try and make a difference.
    --------

www.thundercatslair.org

Heroic Warrior
    I had to give Evil-Lyn a 9. I suppose I was lucky, I had one of the figures that came with the glowing weapon. The yellow skin made her look kind of jaundiced, which is why I didn't give her a 10.

While Skeletor, imho, was cruel and capricious, I felt that Evil-Lyn's patience and natural cunning made her every bit as much a threat to He-Man and his friends as her superior. Of course, when it came to raw power, Skeletor had her seriously outclassed. I always got the feeling that Evil-Lyn was simply biding her time, waiting for Skeletor to make some fatal mistake so she could step in and take over.

Great figure, one of my earliest. My sister used to play with her on the odd occasion that she would play with my MOTU figures.
    Always looking for new clients!

My eBay feedback

My Org Feedback

I don't know Evil-Lyn enough to be able to grade her...

I gave Evil Lyn a 9 and the reason I took a point away is because of the Yellow Skin and the non anime colors.

That being said, Evil Lyn is one of my favorite of all the characters. She was much deeper then most of Skeletors henchmen. As a child I was excited to have someone for Teela to face off again and I remeber a few occasions durring my adventures where Evil Lyn took the reigns of Greyskull against the wishes of Skeletor mind you.

has too many toys. The Trollan Stud's Avatar
    9/10. A must-own figure.

I never had any ambition to own an Evil-Lyn figure. I had to go with my parents to Menards (a home improvement store) one day. Back then, they carried toys, and they often had stuff you wouldn't find elsewhere because it wasn't a usual stop for the toy-buying public. I found Evil-Lyn there and I had just received my allowance, so I bought it since it was a figure I'd never seen before.

Later that week, I was asked why I was playing with a doll. But the kid who asked me had no love for MOTU.

I don't love this characters, the colour of skin and the design is bad Voted 4!

I love the character but the toys is a little poor.
    Anyway I love the yellow tone of skin.
    The gleam of the Power Sword lights your way as you enter the fantastic world of Eternia...

I dig classic Lyn. Gave her an 8.
    I want to smurf your smurf.

Heroic Warrior
    She gets a nine from me ONLY because she's: a repaint of my ten-graded Teela; is evil, which means no trips home to meet Mom...
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

I did not think much of her yellow skin when i was young but it actually complements her blue and purple colour scheme .
    Its a shame Evil Lynn only has one scepter weapon where as Teela has serpent armour , a shield and Kobra .
    MOTU and POP transformed my childhood years to gold