View Poll Results: Should Teela Succeed Her Mother as the Sorceress of Castle Grayskull?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

51 45.95%
  • No

47 42.34%
  • Don't care

13 11.71%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should Teela Succeed Her Mother as the Sorceress at the end of this series of films?

Should Teela Succeed Her Mother as the Sorceress at the end of this series of films?

Assuming this thing is successful enough to warrant a trilogy (or something along those lines), should it feature in its conclusion the sight of Teela succeeding her mother as the sorceress of Castle Grayskull?
    It's great being Lord of the Thundercats - especially hanging out with Cheetara - but the one draw back is that He-Man can still beat me up.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post1993306
    Somewhere In Exo-Squad, a fan art by Matt Tyree (just in case you're curious)

The Demon of Screamin' JonnyTyler's Avatar
    No. I truelly think it should be hinted at in the first 2 movies, and show alot of Teela longing to know about here mother, and all her questions go unanswered, eventually causing a rift between her and her father, choosing to keep secrets from his daughter about her own mother and past.

Then in the 3rd(if there is a 3rd), Teela should have everything revealed to her at once, in an incredibley emotional scene, and she forgives her father, and everything makes scence to her, just before the final, epic battle scene.

Then after all that, At the end of the movie, The Sorceress reveals that her time as the guardian of Greyskull is drawing to an end, And that Teela was ready to take her place, and that by showing bravery, and courage in the final battle, she proved that she was ready to assume her destiny. Even still, Teela would show her doubts.

That would be the last scene with Teela, and its all left up the viewers to decide if they think she becomes the sorceress or not. Just my thoughts... What do you all think?

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Voted don't care... because, well, I don't. Teela's character could be effectively developed either way, I think.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Today's sermon topic: What is Hell? Come hear our choir!"

Co-Creator of the NV
    I prefer Teela to become the sorceress. I'm so sick of there being so many prophecies and destinies in MOTU that never come to be, because no series lasts long enough. It's about time we actually see some of the stuff that is hinted at actually happen. I don't want it to happen until the end of the movie series, but I do want it to happen.

About time Teela and Adam/He-Man have a romance, Teela becomes the Sorceress, etc.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    To be honest, I'd rather Teela stay captain of the guard in the first movie, if we get anymore, say a trilogy, I'd like her to stay the same but learn about her destiny, but if we get a 4th or 5th movie (highly unlikely, then yes bring on Teela - Sorceress of Grayskull!

I'd really rather not have Teela become The Sorceress. That would change her TOO much, IMO.

I WOULD like her to meet her mother, tho (After twenty-five years, I'd like to think she's suffered enough. )

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    I prefer Teela to become the sorceress. I'm so sick of there being so many prophecies and destinies in MOTU that never come to be, because no series lasts long enough. It's about time we actually see some of the stuff that is hinted at actually happen. I don't want it to happen until the end of the movie series, but I do want it to happen.

About time Teela and Adam/He-Man have a romance, Teela becomes the Sorceress, etc.
    Agreed.

Leaving this destined stuff open-ended back in the 80s made some sense, but over 20 years from then... I think that a lot of us fans would like to see some closure.

Likewise, if they do a She-Ra movie, I want to see Etheria liberated.

It's time to take the logical conclussions of where the cartoons where going, and actually go to them.
    "I'm not just crying for Hordak. I'm crying for the saddest thing I know - a wasted life. To be given that most precious gift - the gift of living, to do with as we choose. I'm crying, because this man has chosen to throw it away, and when he goes, nobody will care..." - She-Ra ( "My Friend, My Enemy")

Nate and I both agree that Teela/Adam share a fate like Veena/Grayskull.

So I'm cool with it...but I dont want to see it happen in the first movie. They should build up to it.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

I didn't mean at the end of the FIRST movie, I meant the final movie (assuming this thing is successful enough to get that far). I'm sorry if I wasn't clear on that.
    It's great being Lord of the Thundercats - especially hanging out with Cheetara - but the one draw back is that He-Man can still beat me up.

If the a new movie was made that gained enough momentum to make it to a third, I would accept any character growth, especially Teela becoming the new Sorceress. Why?

Because it would mean the evolution of one character, and the loss of another. Great story telling needs these elements.

Quote Originally Posted by funkypunkyboy View Post
    I would accept any character growth, especially Teela becoming the new Sorceress. Why?

Because it would mean the evolution of one character, and the loss of another. Great story telling needs these elements.

You DO realize that it would mean the end of MOTU as we know it, don't you?

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    You DO realize that it would mean the end of MOTU as we know it, don't you?
    Which is infinitely better than another relaunch that goes nowhere and fades into obscurity.I don't see why the movie would have to affect other media. Comics and cartoons don't need to be in the same continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    Which is infinitely better than another relaunch that goes nowhere and fades into obscurity.I don't see why the movie would have to affect other media. Comics and cartoons don't need to be in the same continuity.

Wouldn't it confuse things?

Fans HAVE been known to link movies and cartoons together ("Didn't He-Man die in the movie? Guess that's it for MOTU.")

Maybe they could do what DC used to do and have separate "universes" for each continuity (Eternia-Prime, Eternia-2, Eternia-3, etc. )
    Last edited by Mirage; October 18, 2007 at 03:18am.

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Kind of like when filmmakers go so far away from a book their film is based on.
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Co-Creator of the NV

Fans HAVE been known to link movies and cartoons together ("Didn't He-Man die in the movie? Guess that's it for MOTU.")

Maybe they could do what DC used to do and have separate "universes" for each continuity (Eternia-Prime, Eternia-2, Eternia-3, etc.)
    Only for really stupid fans, who we don't have to worry about because they'll be too busy trying to figure out how to tie their shoes to see the movie.

In just about any adaptation of a property, the movies aren't connected to the other media. Transformers has nothing to do with the comics *outside of the ones made specifically for movie tie-ins*, the old cartoons or the upcoming one. Same is true of Spider-Man, X-Men and all the other comic book movies. Wolverine never killed Jean, Dr. Doom never funded the FF's mission *sorta.. weird **** happens in the UFF*, Uncle Ben was never killed by Sandman, Batman never tried to shoot Joe Cool, Superman never had a kid and the Punisher's extended family was never the victims of an armed attack. None of these things are true anywhere outside of the movies and the comics and cartoons don't pretend that they did happen. Furthermore, no one who is interested in giving the cartoons/comics a try think they happened either.

I think you are assuming too much.

The movie will probably have Teela, since her character is iconic, but I doubt it will have the Sorceress. Even if it did, I SERIOUSLY doubt that she will be Teela's mother, or even a destined role for Teela.

I voted "don't care", cuz I don't. Even IF Sorceress is Teela's mother, it really doesn't matter to me that Teela becomes the next Sorceress. I just hope that He-Man is not from Earth.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    I think you are assuming too much.

The movie will probably have Teela, since her character is iconic, but I doubt it will have the Sorceress. Even if it did, I SERIOUSLY doubt that she will be Teela's mother, or even a destined role for Teela.

Remove the Sorceress/Teela bond, and you've taken away part of the emotional spine of the franchise.

I would rather have the Teela/Sorceress connection, but if we didnt have it eh..I'll wait and see what happens.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Remove the Sorceress/Teela bond, and you've taken away part of the emotional spine of the franchise.
    Now that I agree with.

"Oh dearie my!" Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    The movie will probably have Teela, since her character is iconic, but I doubt it will have the Sorceress.
    Some would argue The Sorceress is more iconic.
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Co-Creator of the NV

I can't imagine them ever making a MOTU movie without the Sorceress in it. Even the 87 movie didn't screw up that badly.

As for the relationship between Teela and the Sorceress, i would prefer it be in there, but I wouldn't be heartbroken if it isn't. I can see why it might be difficult to work in smoothly, but if they can I think they should.

Fright Zone (Etheria): Prisoner of the Horde
    No, I don't think it's needed. I'd just have Skeletor defeated in the end but leaving some hints that perhaps he is not totally defeated, if that makes any sense..
    If a man is proud of his wealth, he should not be praised until it is known how he employs it.
    Socrates

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    A.Einstein

The movie-makers are making this film not for the fans, but to capitilize on the general public's faded memory of a popular toy franchise from the 80s. They will pick the elements out that the average joe might remember and erase and/or change the rest. MotU is not as popular as Transformers, there is not a large contingent of fans that need to be pleased. The Teela/Sorceress bond is something that we fans know and many love, but I think that element of the story is not popular or important enough amoung the public to justify it being incorporated into the new movie.

Like I said, I would be surprised, but pleased, to see the Sorceress in the new movie (especially if written by Justin Marks). And if she is, I would bet against the film-makers letting her be Teela's mother, let alone Teela's destiny.

The movie-makers are making this film not for the fans, but to capitilize on the general public's faded memory of a popular toy franchise from the 80s. They will pick the elements out that the average joe might remember and erase and/or change the rest. MotU is not as popular as Transformers, there is not a large contingent of fans that need to be pleased. The Teela/Sorceress bond is something that we fans know and many love, but I think that element of the story is not popular or important enough amoung the public to justify it being incorporated into the new movie.

Like I said, I would be surprised, but pleased, to see the Sorceress in the new movie (especially if written by Justin Marks). And if she is, I would bet against the film-makers letting her be Teela's mother, let alone Teela's destiny.
    While I strongly hold that the principle focus of any live-action MotU film should be He-Man himself (and not on an ensemble cast), I also think that movies and stories are helped a great deal, at least in general, by having compelling secondary characters with special bonds between one another. You don't need to dedicate loads and loads of time to such bonds, but a short scene here, and a minute there, can add a nice flavour to the movie.

Mirage's term of "emotional spine" is a good one for what I'm talking about here.

Personally, I think that the Sorceress could and should play a role in a MotU movie comparable to Galadriel's role in the LotR movies - no more, no less. The Sorceress/Teela bond should be given about as much screentime as Elrond/Eowyn's bond was given in the LotR movies.

Use of secondary characters like this can both serve as a break in the broader action and plot, while adding some interesting wrinkles to the entire cast of characters that can resonate with some fans.

I think that the minimalist approach that some fans are pushing for would undercut the appeal of the movie to certain demographics... women in particular.

If the only female characters that get any significant screen-time at all are Teela and Evil-Lyn, and if the only female personality types are the ones seen in them, then I could easily see a lot of female fantasy fans not bothering to check out what they'll see as just a Conan movie with some added magical punch to it.

There's no harm in including the Sorceress in, say, 15 minutes total screen-time, and taking 5 of those minutes to explore her relationship with Teela. You can have that, and still have a good 33% of the movie or more be action-packed.
    "I'm not just crying for Hordak. I'm crying for the saddest thing I know - a wasted life. To be given that most precious gift - the gift of living, to do with as we choose. I'm crying, because this man has chosen to throw it away, and when he goes, nobody will care..." - She-Ra ( "My Friend, My Enemy")

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian_He-Man View Post
    While I strongly hold that the principle focus of any live-action MotU film should be He-Man himself (and not on an ensemble cast), I also think that movies and stories are helped a great deal, at least in general, by having compelling secondary characters with special bonds between one another. You don't need to dedicate loads and loads of time to such bonds, but a short scene here, and a minute there, can add a nice flavour to the movie.

Mirage's term of "emotional spine" is a good one for what I'm talking about here.

Personally, I think that the Sorceress could and should play a role in a MotU movie comparable to Galadriel's role in the LotR movies - no more, no less. The Sorceress/Teela bond should be given about as much screentime as Elrond/Eowyn's bond was given in the LotR movies.

Use of secondary characters like this can both serve as a break in the broader action and plot, while adding some interesting wrinkles to the entire cast of characters that can resonate with some fans.

I think that the minimalist approach that some fans are pushing for would undercut the appeal of the movie to certain demographics... women in particular.

If the only female characters that get any significant screen-time at all are Teela and Evil-Lyn, and if the only female personality types are the ones seen in them, then I could easily see a lot of female fantasy fans not bothering to check out what they'll see as just a Conan movie with some added magical punch to it.

There's no harm in including the Sorceress in, say, 15 minutes total screen-time, and taking 5 of those minutes to explore her relationship with Teela. You can have that, and still have a good 33% of the movie or more be action-packed.
    I agee with you 100%. I just do not think the film-makers will do that. I hope they do include it since it would be cool as a nod to the old show, but I doubt they will.