Thread: Merman - And Why Doesn't He Ever Get Love?

Merman - And Why Doesn't He Ever Get Love?

So I remember, way, way, way, way back in the day (I hate being old ) - when I first got into He-Man figures and the cartoons (Filmation days) - I was immediately drawn to Merman - but for some reason (even in the comics that DC has published recently) - Merman doesn't ever seem to get any love.

Curious if there's others who have noticed that - or who thought Merman was awesome?

Mer-man was my most wanted figure as a child. He's one of the very few that I never owned. My cousin had him but wouldn't let anyone play with him after he'd broken off the front belt piece and glued it back on.

Mer-man is second only to Tri-Klops as my favorite figure and character in the MOTU line.

I've always liked Mer-Man, ever since the original mini-comics when it was basically him and Beast Man as Skeletor's lackeys.

I agree that he doesn't get enough love. He's criminally under- or mis-used, IMO.

Court Magician
    He was pretty lame in the cartoon, but he was a great toy. And there's some seriously great Merman artwork out there!

de5efcb0cf73e0f159398e7ec50f343d.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    Mer-man was my most wanted figure as a child. He's one of the very few that I never owned. My cousin had him but wouldn't let anyone play with him after he'd broken off the front belt piece and glued it back on.

Mer-man is second only to Tri-Klops as my favorite figure and character in the MOTU line.
    We are quite similar! Mer-Man was always my favorite (maybe because I am Cancer sign I like aquatic characters? I have no idea!) - but Tri-Klops always looked awesome to me, as well! Beast-Man though was probably my second favorite - just because of his ability to control beasts!

Quote Originally Posted by j-bird View Post
    I've always liked Mer-Man, ever since the original mini-comics when it was basically him and Beast Man as Skeletor's lackeys.
    I agree that he doesn't get enough love. He's criminally under- or mis-used, IMO.
    So glad to see I am not alone!

Quote Originally Posted by Universe View Post
    He was pretty lame in the cartoon, but he was a great toy. And there's some seriously great Merman artwork out there!

de5efcb0cf73e0f159398e7ec50f343d.jpg
    There are some cool photos! I just wish they did more with him!

customizer of greyskull nightwing.'s Avatar
    I always thought Merman was a great figure. He is one I always wanted as a kid but never got.But I am happy to say he now stands proudly in my collection today

I dont know If you are interested but I am currently running a number of polls to find out who the fans choose to be their favourite vintage figure. Merman is actually featured in my poll this week which ends tomorrow, so please feel to vote for him. Here is a direct link to this weeks poll http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...Vintage-Figure

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    So I remember, way, way, way, way back in the day (I hate being old ) - when I first got into He-Man figures and the cartoons (Filmation days) - I was immediately drawn to Merman - but for some reason (even in the comics that DC has published recently) - Merman doesn't ever seem to get any love.

Curious if there's others who have noticed that - or who thought Merman was awesome?
    Besides He-Man and Skeletor, Mer-Man is my all time favorite. I loved him from the moment I got him as a kid

Mer-man is my fav also.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Merman - And Why Doesn't He Ever Get Love?
    Perhaps because Eternia is a superficial society and the females there find him physically repulsive?
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    but for some reason (even in the comics that DC has published recently) - Merman doesn't ever seem to get any love.
    Well in new 2012 DC Comics he gets some love.

new2012dc_merman.jpg
    He-Man & She-Ra fan and contributor to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Quote Originally Posted by nightwing. View Post
    I always thought Merman was a great figure. He is one I always wanted as a kid but never got.But I am happy to say he now stands proudly in my collection today

I dont know If you are interested but I am currently running a number of polls to find out who the fans choose to be their favourite vintage figure. Merman is actually featured in my poll this week which ends tomorrow, so please feel to vote for him. Here is a direct link to this weeks poll http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...Vintage-Figure
    He was actually my first He-Man figure (I found him before I found He-Man, oddly). I believe I got Mer-Man, then Beast-Man, Tri-Klops, He-Man, Skeletor, Man-E-Faces, Stratos, and from there it was a blur.

As for the poll - I shall head there now and hail Mer-Man's awesomeness!

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    Besides He-Man and Skeletor, Mer-Man is my all time favorite. I loved him from the moment I got him as a kid
    Quote Originally Posted by suckator View Post
    Mer-man is my fav also.
    All right - I am feeling better. I just never see him get talked about much when people discussed He-Man. (I was clearly discussing it in the wrong place!)

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Perhaps because Eternia is a superficial society and the females there find him physically repulsive?
    I'd yell at women like Teela - but she's too pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    YES! I (before realized there was a thread for it) was going to talk about how great those comics by DC have been!

He was actually my first He-Man figure (I found him before I found He-Man, oddly). I believe I got Mer-Man, then Beast-Man, Tri-Klops, He-Man, Skeletor, Man-E-Faces, Stratos, and from there it was a blur.

As for the poll - I shall head there now and hail Mer-Man's awesomeness!
    Thats so cool that he was your first He-Man figure, he is definitely a great character to start your collection.

Thanks for voting in the poll, I really appreciate it. At the moment Mer-Man is in joint second place so he is definitely getting a lot of love. looks like he will be sailing straight into round 3 which I will be posting tomorrow so please feel free to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by nightwing. View Post
    Thats so cool that he was your first He-Man figure, he is definitely a great character to start your collection.
    Thanks for voting in the poll, I really appreciate it. At the moment Mer-Man is in joint second place so he is definitely getting a lot of love. looks like he will be sailing straight into round 3 which I will be posting tomorrow so please feel free to check it out.
    I will be voting Stratos and Mer-Man every time they make it into the next round.

I will be voting Stratos and Mer-Man every time they make it into the next round.
    Yea I think both of those figures will do really well in the polls.
    If you know anyone else who would be interested in voting please feel free to let them know

I think the toy having a different head compared to the card art was a knock against people liking the toy, it really does look more like a cat head and works better for Stinkor- and with that perpetual "my house was robbed!" look he looks a bit weird too, it's probably a plus that Stinkor's mouth is covered. Plus his sword looks less like what it's supposed to be and more like corn, and they never painted on gloves or boots like the card art. It's a toy that suffers a bit from the cut budget of the latter half of the first series. Both the 200X and MOTUC toys felt like they were doing the figure overdue justice. I do wish more customizers made vintage stuff, a card art head to pop onto the original toy would be nice. Occasionally I get tempted to paint the arm bracers on He-Man, and I wonder if I should try my hand at giving Mer-Man some yellow.

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    I think the toy having a different head compared to the card art was a knock against people liking the toy, it really does look more like a cat head and works better for Stinkor- and with that perpetual "my house was robbed!" look he looks a bit weird too, it's probably a plus that Stinkor's mouth is covered. Plus his sword looks less like what it's supposed to be and more like corn, and they never painted on gloves or boots like the card art. It's a toy that suffers a bit from the cut budget of the latter half of the first series. Both the 200X and MOTUC toys felt like they were doing the figure overdue justice. I do wish more customizers made vintage stuff, a card art head to pop onto the original toy would be nice. Occasionally I get tempted to paint the arm bracers on He-Man, and I wonder if I should try my hand at giving Mer-Man some yellow.
    I have an opened 8 back Merman, and the original owner HAD to open him up and paint on the yellow gloves and boots. I've thought about removing the paint but I just leave him painted for the display, he definitely should have had those gloves and boots!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Merman was a member of a race of sea people, just as Stratos was part of a race of Avians. Odds are he was pretty regular-looking to his own race, even if the more human-looking bipeds thought him strange.

Heroic Warrior
    As a snotty kiddie , I am sure i had many opportunities to buy Merman but I chose someone else either a good guy or bad guy . By the time i might have considered buying him , the new waves came out so now i am buying the other dudes.

Did Mattel even bring kiddies in for popularity testing ? Just a few extra bucks for child psychologists ?

Poor Merman . I imagine its partly because he is not that pretty looking and partly because he is the "Fish Guy" . Most dont like fish guys . Its like cow man or chicken man . We dont make toys of those we eat em for dinner .
    The only nice thing about him was the cool colours. He is very nicely coloured . Why not lizard a man ?
    He is not what was advertised . That other merman had googly eyes . Googly eyes are psychologically attractive to people .
    The whole coral reef looking sword was a great idea in theory but silly . He needed a cliche trident . His armour looks flimsy . Does not matter if he could control all fish or that Eternia is probably 70 percent water , and well he should rate higher in the power / clout scale than Beastman .
    Beastman can control animals and thats much cooler , thats the only fact kids care about .

Zodak should be the lowest in boring factor but he comes with that cool cosmic enforcer title and he had a gun . He is a cool spaceman with laser gun better than fish guy .......sadly

Beastman . OMG orange ? Kids love him , he has the whole wolf/gorilla aura to him and those fangs look sweet . His lion armour made him look bigger and stronger . That whole lion mane effect made him king of the jungle and awesome shoulder claws . The only thing that sucked was his weapon but i kinda get that whole lion tamer whip image thing but kiddies dont . Whips are uncool anything but a whip would have been better. Still he has claws and fangs .

I wont comment on Skeletor everyone loves him and they know why. All hail Skeletor .
    Last edited by Lokus; March 25, 2017 at 07:30am.

He seems liked a well-liked character by a lot of the MOTU fanbase. I had the Mer-Man figure as a kid. I liked the figure, but didn't quite get why he didn't look more like the cardback or his Filmation counterpart. He was probably the character that got pushed aside the most from season 1 to season 2 in the Filmation series. I always thought Zodac was by far the lamest of the original figures. Although I had the Zodac figure, I didn't really like his look, he appeared in few Filmation episodes, and his history of good vs. evil vs. neutral was all over the place.

My favorite appearance of Mer-Man is in Battle in the Clouds. He's really the primary villain in that story

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    You know - as a kid, I don't even remember the card art looking different than the toy. (Even now, I'd have to look! I know he looked like he had more of a ... cat head... on the toy than he did in the old card art, he looked more like... amphibian head like...)

Quote Originally Posted by Universe View Post
    I have an opened 8 back Merman, and the original owner HAD to open him up and paint on the yellow gloves and boots. I've thought about removing the paint but I just leave him painted for the display, he definitely should have had those gloves and boots!
    Merman was a member of a race of sea people, just as Stratos was part of a race of Avians. Odds are he was pretty regular-looking to his own race, even if the more human-looking bipeds thought him strange.
    Let's be clear, Mer-Man was the prime of his people! That's why Skeletor picked him! (Or because he was dumb enough to follow Skeletor... depends on how you look at it, I suppose...)

Quote Originally Posted by Lokus View Post
    As a snotty kiddie , I am sure i had many opportunities to buy Merman but I chose someone else either a good guy or bad guy . By the time i might have considered buying him , the new waves came out so now i am buying the other dudes. Poor Merman . I imagine its partly because he is not that pretty looking and partly because he is the "Fish Guy" . Most dont like fish guys . Its like cow man or chicken man . We dont make toys of those we eat em for dinner .
    But people love Kermit the Frog, and people eat Frog Legs!

The only nice thing about him was the cool colours. He is very nicely coloured . Why not lizard a man ?
    Because that'd be too close to Beast-Man. Being aquatic gave him access to the ocean creatures, while Beast-Man controlled the land creatures. But... they never did much with him breaking out some ancient aquatic beast...

He is not what was advertised .
    But he was one of the main bad guys seen in the He-Man intro! That's some prime real estate!

The whole coral reef looking sword was a great idea in theory but silly . He needed a cliche trident . His armour looks flimsy . Does not matter if he could control all fish or that Eternia is probably 70 percent water , and well he should rate higher in the power / clout scale than Beastman .
    Beastman can control animals and thats much cooler , thats the only fact kids care about .
    But that's poor limitation of the writer... Crocs are considered both water and land... so why didn't Mer-Man summon up an ancient Croc? Or come riding on two of them?

Beastman . OMG orange ? Kids love him , he has the whole wolf/gorilla aura to him and those fangs look sweet . His lion armour made him look bigger and stronger . That whole lion mane effect made him king of the jungle and awesome shoulder claws . The only thing that sucked was his weapon but i kinda get that whole lion tamer whip image thing but kiddies dont . Whips are uncool anything but a whip would have been better. Still he has claws and fangs .
    It was definitely difficult to tell what beast Beast-Man was modeled after... or perhaps he was a mixture of them all...

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    He seems liked a well-liked character by a lot of the MOTU fanbase. I had the Mer-Man figure as a kid. I liked the figure, but didn't quite get why he didn't look more like the cardback or his Filmation counterpart. He was probably the character that got pushed aside the most from season 1 to season 2 in the Filmation series. I always thought Zodac was by far the lamest of the original figures. Although I had the Zodac figure, I didn't really like his look, he appeared in few Filmation episodes, and his history of good vs. evil vs. neutral was all over the place.
    Well except for Lokus apparently!

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    My favorite appearance of Mer-Man is in Battle in the Clouds. He's really the primary villain in that story

http://i.imgur.com/3tldE02.jpg
    Such a cool image; though his mouth looks a little weird.

Heroic Warrior
    Well except for Lokus apparently!
    Now now dont blame little Lokus Jr . It was not a question of not liking but getting to him later but then later now has a Leech on the shelves . That Leech is a friggin monster toy !!! His mouth is big enough to fit HEMAN,s head !!!

Can you really blame me for buying a Leech instead of Merman ?

Widget
    Merman was always one of my favorites and he did get a lot of exposure in the cartoon but I see how the newer comics and media don't give him much attention I still like the episode where he takes over an underwater city and is their king