Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to repair MOTU action figures broken legs?

I guess if you collect predominately MOTU them you are just used to this (and I’m not putting down those who only collect MOTU). I collect just about everything from the 80’s. When I compare my old MOTU figures with Transformers, GI*JOE, Star Wars, etc., MOTU have deteriorated the most as time went on.
    Quote Originally Posted by plasmapulse View Post
    Regardless of the rubber bands, the plastic of the figure itself will deteriorate as well. My Rokkon is sticky (and becomes sticky all over after cleaning)
    There’s one other toy line that has this problem: Marvel Secret Wars, which was another line put out by Mattel. I have never run into this problem with other figures that use hard and soft plastic (such as vintage Star Wars, Thundercats, M.A.S.K., etc.). Some figures are notorious for having the paint rub off such as Thundercats and Silverhawks. Other than discoloration and paint chipping, I really don’t have that many issues with my other toys. I used to have a collection of Mego Super Heroes until I traded them just a few years ago. They’re about a decade older than MOTU and they were still in good shape.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwinter View Post
    I would never go as far as not purchasing them though because there is a risk. Such as when you say that you only purchase figures without rubber leg bands.
    Since I collect so many lines, I have to prioritize how I spend my money. I just can’t justify spending money on figures that I know will deteriorate when I can buy figures that will last much longer. I can justify buying GI*JOE’s, for instance, because the bands can be easily replaced with new bands that you can still buy at hardware stores. I used to have about 30-35 vintage MOTU figures and one by one the legs started getting loose and in some cases falling off. I traded most of them and only kept a few. I kept the original complete figures of He-Man, Skeletor, and Prince Adam because they are the ones I loved the most as a kid.

I didn’t start this thread as an “I hate MOTU figures” thread. That isn’t what I meant. I love MOTU and have very fond memories of MOTU from my childhood. In fact, the original He-Man and Skeletor were my very first action figures that I ever had as a kid. The message I'm trying to convey is that it stinks that MOTU toys that we loved so much as children aren't withstanding the test of time while other toys such as Transformers and Star Wars that are still lasting strong.

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    Here is an easy fix on He-Bro's website:

http://he-man.us/Innovations/BrokenLegs.html

Not as easy as G.I. Joes, (I normally just use a rubber band on those and loop it around a bunch of times) but still fairly easy.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

Heroic Warrior
    I completely agree about the deterioration. It really believe it is inevitable. The bubble that are clear now (even thought cased in AFA cases) will eventually yellow. Figures will deteriorate. I open tons of carded figures and it really becomes a reality when you open a Rancor Keeper that looks fine, then you remove his head "cloth" to find oozed oils trapped and collecting under it. This is the number one reason I stopped buying the carded stuff in tip top condition...it's just a matter of time. The loose stuff as far as the bands are concerned will be fixable, but the stickiness and the color changes...just inevitable. The really get a kick over the AFA stuff that eventually will ooze oils and discolor in the AFA case, loose or carded, but not have a current grade to reflect its new condition will certainly become a concern in the future for those types of collectors.
    www.toyjesus.com
    All your MOTU Sticker and Instruction needs!

Maybe the questions we should be asking ourselves is:

Are the oils and toxins from these figures poisoning us?

Make sure to wash your hands.

I agree with ToyJesus. I don't really buy tip top "MOC" stuff anymore. If I can get a good deal I still will, but you have to know there is risk involved.

Heroic Warrior
    I think these plastic have some kind of half life. Seems after a few years it really started to happen enmasse. You hear about it a lot more. In five to ten years, you'll hear about it a lot and in twenty they're toast. The irony is the ones that are still mint will be worth even more, but again...eventual toast.
    www.toyjesus.com
    All your MOTU Sticker and Instruction needs!

Heroic Ruler of Nothing KidRandor's Avatar
    Why bother collecting MOTU figures at all if all you want are the bandless legs????. Your flying fist, snout spout, and orko collection really must be something. I collect MOTU because of the strong ties to my childhood. Being displayed in my glass case is not as bad as the punishment they endured when i was a kid.. (i.e. bath time, lunch box, buried in the backyard, etc). If the time comes when all of my figures fall on their faces, then i will repair each and every one of them.

Heroic Warrior
    While none of the bands have snapped on my collection, the figures that the kids play with haven't fared as well. About 10 of them have lost their legs. I've fixed all of them with a variety of methods, and if done right, replacing the bands with eye hooks and either o-rings or elastic string, result in a figure that is far more durable, especially important with the way the kids play with them (yeah, some of these things still get played with).

Some of mine have started snapping already. I just slip the legs back in and try not to move them. It is sad that the plastics may one day be nothing more than a big glob.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

Perhaps it's a reality 10+ years from now but there's no point in talking about this.. might aswell enjoy them while there still standing strong! I collect loose and moc figures and variants and right now I'm happier then a pig in ****.
    Knowledge is power, arm yourself

My feedback ,cool people I've dealt with

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ak+good+trader

Here is an easy fix on He-Bro's website:

http://he-man.us/Innovations/BrokenLegs.html

Not as easy as G.I. Joes, (I normally just use a rubber band on those and loop it around a bunch of times) but still fairly easy.
    Thanks for this link. I may not be rushing out to buy figures immediately, but I will be more willing to pick some up if I can find them cheap enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by KidRandor View Post
    Your flying fist, snout spout, and orko collection really must be something.
    Don’t forget terror Claws Skeletor, Ram Man, Battle Cat, and Panther…Oh wait…you were making fun of me. My vintage MOTU collection is nothing to brag about. I have most of the 200X line and stactions. As I stated earlier I collect many toy lines from the 80’s. As far as MOTU, I don’t have much. If you add up all of the figures from Classic MOTU, POP, NA, 200X, Stractions, and lets throw in the new classics line, it still wouldn’t come close to as many figures as I have between Transformers, GI*JOE, Star Wars, M.A.S.K., Go-Bots, Thundercats, Silverhawks, Marvel Secret Wars, DC Super Powers, Centurions, Karate Kid, Rambo, and the list goes on and on.
    Why bother collecting MOTU figures at all if all you want are the bandless legs????.
    Because I still want all vintage MOTU figures that won’t fall apart.

I haven't pulled apart a commemorative figure, but are they built the same way?

I wasnt making fun of you, i was merely adding some humor to the thread. In your fist post you asked if we pretended like it would not happen, as if to say we are silly for collecting MOTU figures. I am not sure I understand your attitude or intention. I commend you on the fantastic collection you have.
    Last edited by KidRandor; May 6, 2008 at 10:36pm.

Try collecting a sense of humor.
    ouch... ok kiss and make up.

Sorry, my intention was to be sarcastic and i realize that approach is not as effective while typing. I was not trying to be mean or fued in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by plasmapulse View Post
    My Rokkon is sticky (and becomes sticky all over after cleaning.
    You know, that's funny because I busted out my old collection for the first time in awhile and a few of my figures were sticky. I was thinking to myself that I must have been eating some candy when I was little and was playing with my toys. So this is because of the paint?

My Stonedar wasn't sticky... I'm pretty sure it was my Hordak and Horde Trooper. Also, all of my Extendar's limbs are stuck and won't extend. Maybe Hordak was doing another operation on him and got some sticky paint in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Syl-Klone View Post
    You know, that's funny because I busted out my old collection for the first time in awhile and a few of my figures were sticky. I was thinking to myself that I must have been eating some candy when I was little and was playing with my toys. So this is because of the paint?

My Stonedar wasn't sticky... I'm pretty sure it was my Hordak and Horde Trooper. Also, all of my Extendar's limbs are stuck and won't extend. Maybe Hordak was doing another operation on him and got some sticky paint in there.
    thats the materials decay, my worst fear is snaped leg MOC, already happened to a spanish skeletor i have minty mint card, snaped leg skeletor

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    this is a depressing thread I try not to think about it, but most of my figures are none sticky and legs are fine - it could have something to do with climate too. My bedroom is pretty cool and my vintage collection is stored in a cardboard box with paper protecting the figures, not plastic bags or shrink wrap. Speaking of which I better check on them...

I wasnt making fun of you, i was merely adding some humor to the thread. In your fist post you asked if we pretended like it would not happen, as if to say we are silly for collecting MOTU figures. I am not sure I understand your attitude or intention. I commend you on the fantastic collection you have.
    KidRandor,

I’m sorry!
    Maybe not that sorry…but still sorry! (bad attempt at humor)

There isn’t enough caffeine in this world to help my brain function at full capacity. I work 3rd shift and take care of my 11 month old daughter during the day while my wife is at work. I only actually sleep about 4 hours a day. Still, that doesn’t excuse me for misunderstanding you and then getting defensive.

My intentions were to just discuss how much it stinks that something we love is deteriorating so rapidly. I just had the legs finally fall off one of my remaining vintage MOTU figures and it really depressed me. So I had to vent. Vintage MOTU figures really are going faster than lines from Hasbro and Kenner. I know that you collect them because you love them and you’ll love them until the day they fall apart and you’ll still love them when they’re in pieces. I have a deep love for MOTU. I would have more vintage MOTU figures in my collection even despite their shortcomings in quality if it wasn’t for the fact that I also love several other toy lines from the 80’s. Looking back at my first post, I see how bad it sounds. It wasn’t my intention to make fun of anybody here. I’m terrible with words.

Master of Power Suction Killian's Avatar
    I find the materials that the legs are made of seem to deteriorate and get little mildew looking bobbles which bugs me, I'm considering painting over it.

My Horde Trooper has little brown dots on his legs and he's kinda sticky. I may just coat his legs with clear varnish.

Does anyone know if this would halt the process and is the oily mildew stuff toxic?
    He who dies with the most MOTUC wins!

After all, this might give Mattel an excuse for producing a massive Commemorative toyline in 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    After all, this might give Mattel an excuse for producing a massive Commemorative toyline in 20 years.
    haha that's some awesome point

We are all friends here!.

I wonder how long my can of slime will last. It has never been opened and still sounds slimy when you shake the can.

Come to think of it, my Snout Spout's trunk is quite sticky... hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Killian View Post
    I find the materials that the legs are made of seem to deteriorate and get little mildew looking bobbles which bugs me, I'm considering painting over it.

My Horde Trooper has little brown dots on his legs and he's kinda sticky. I may just coat his legs with clear varnish.

Does anyone know if this would halt the process and is the oily mildew stuff toxic?
    It won't help, might make it worse. The plastic should be allowed to 'breath', stored cool and out of the sun. The best you can do.
    More collector's have this problem you know, and it's a new problem because plastic is a young material. Keeping items MOC won't keep them mint. I have had a Hook figure from the nineties MOC oozing oils all over the place.

I got this from a toysoldier forum;

----Exposure to heat and ultraviolet light (UV) are two clear causes of plastic deterioration. They both degrade plastic similiarly, by exciting the molecular structure and causing electrons to depart, both breaking down and altering the structure. Once this starts, the freed electrons start whacking other molecules and cause more electrons to break free in a chain reaction. Removing the plastic from heat or UV will slow the process down, but not completely stop it. No plastic is usable pure, and all have additives mixed in to give the plastic its desired characteristics. This molecular breakkdown is mainly the destruction of the bonds between the base plastic and its plasticizers. Once free, the plasticizers will naturally migrate away, as fumes and sometimes oily residue that is leeching out of the plastic. A secondary problem then develops as this leaves holes, which air can get in to. Another deterioration process starts called oxidation. I had thought that was only corrosion for metals, but was wrong.

One pretty cool additive that many plastics have is put in as a UV degration inhibiter. It is substance of positive particals that just wait for an electron (which is negative) to become free. When an electron does take off due to breakdown one partical attachs to it, makes it neutral & it then does not start chain reaction. But eventually the particals are all used up, and with nothing to stop the chain reaction, degration accelerates. ----

This is just FYI and not to get anyone overly worried.
    --------
    Joachim

Think of the US constitution, that thing has existed for over 200 years and it's just paper. Thing is, it's in a climate controlled air tight environment. If we were to put our old figures in a similar environment (as much as normal people can afford to do that sort of thing.) you'd think they'd last for a while. I'm not talking ultra expensive, I'm thinking giving them a seperate room where the temperature is set to semi cool and the humidity is controlled (somehow). Handling is minimal (The oils in our skin can contribute to this sort of thing.) I have a similar problem with my comic books, I had my old ones in storage and a bunch of them yellowed because of the heat.

Here I was saying this wasn't really all that expensive, after looking at what I wrote, it can be, but to a hardcore collector it might be worth it.

I believe that there are ways to preserve your collection for many years but it might get costly, You'd think paper would be harder to preserve but we have old documents still in existance.

I think there's hope out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    Think of the US constitution, that thing has existed for over 200 years and it's just paper. Thing is, it's in a climate controlled air tight environment. If we were to put our old figures in a similar environment (as much as normal people can afford to do that sort of thing.) you'd think they'd last for a while. I'm not talking ultra expensive, I'm thinking giving them a seperate room where the temperature is set to semi cool and the humidity is controlled (somehow). Handling is minimal (The oils in our skin can contribute to this sort of thing.) I have a similar problem with my comic books, I had my old ones in storage and a bunch of them yellowed because of the heat.

Here I was saying this wasn't really all that expensive, after looking at what I wrote, it can be, but to a hardcore collector it might be worth it.

I believe that there are ways to preserve your collection for many years but it might get costly, You'd think paper would be harder to preserve but we have old documents still in existance.

I think there's hope out there.
    Darkness, resistance is futile

Here's some more light reading on the subject for those who want to know;
    http://www.conservationregister.com/...stics.asp?id=4

It has a paragraph on storing your collection.
    --------
    Joachim