Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How to repair MOTU action figures broken legs?

You should see the rubber bands of my PPPOOOOOOOORRR Stinkor's legs!

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhead Whale View Post
    You should see the rubber bands of my PPPOOOOOOOORRR Stinkor's legs!
    there is a way to fix it, but you'll have to be a butcher and sacrifice another figure

I think I am more concerned with the fact that I am also slowly deteriorating. I believe most of these toys will out live most of us, sadly.

So does anyone have a clear answer as to whether or not loose figures should be stored in plastic bags. I noticed my clamp champ figure has plastic disease, and he was one of the last figures produced in the line, most of my older figures still look great.

Heroic Warrior
    i've been worried about this the 80s, when my first He-Man fell apart!

Anyways, the stickiness I haven't noticed too much on my MOTU luckily, but my ThunderCats, which I always kept out on a shelf, seem to be sucumbing to this! Is it superficial, or really the plastic eating away? Is there nothing that can be done to reverse this travesty?!

is ther any way to repair the rubberbands?

im just curious, is there any way to repair the rubber bands on these figures? i have a couple that are starting to get a little loose and im not sure what im going to do when they break.

anyone ever repair them?

Thanks

Heroic Warrior
    Well, all I can recomend is the repair technique described on He-Bro's page. I havent used it myself, don't like driving eye-hooks into the legs! The only other way I know is to use the leg band from another figure... which seems a bit of a waste to me..

Wish someone could figure a way to reproduce leg bands for vintage MOTU!!!!!
    Last edited by RATKING; December 20, 2008 at 01:42pm.

Quote Originally Posted by RATKING View Post
    The only other way I know is to use the leg band from another figure... which seems a bit of a waste to me..
    Too fix, lets say, a rare figure, I believe most of us would gladly sacrifice one of our 17 He-mans or 11 Skeletors, right?!
    Armageddon will soon be here,
    the sinners will meet their fate.
    But I am calm and without fear,
    as I feed upon my hate.

Quote Originally Posted by RATKING View Post
    Well, all I can recomend is the repair technique described on He-Bro's page. I havent used it myself, don't like driving eye-hooks into the legs! The only other way I know is to use the leg band from another figure... which seems a bit of a waste to me..

Wish someone could figure a way to reproduce leg bands for fintage MOTU!!!!!

i couldnt find that page. have a link?

Really is Skeletor
    http://he-man.us/Innovations/BrokenLegs.html - It's a great site overall, highly recommend checking it out.
    Tyler J Maciolek

Quote Originally Posted by tylerm23 View Post
    http://he-man.us/Innovations/BrokenLegs.html - It's a great site overall, highly recommend checking it out.
    Great site. I have used this method and it works great. I believe it takes away any value for a rare figure. And I would disclose this fix if I were selling a figure that has it.

it's a very easy thing to do! if you want to use original rubber bands first of all you'll need one of those small curved scissors or something similar. Next you'll need an old figure to sacrifice. Just pull it's leg out so you can see where the rubber enters the leg and carefully pull the rubber ball out by making way in with the curved scissor. You may also make little cuts in the interior seams so you'll have a larger way to manouver without damaging the rubber balll inside the leg.

ONce you have both sides out you just have to force it back in the new legs of the repaired figure, pay attention to the rubbers orientation so you won't have twisted legs later on. I'm telling you, this is a 5 minute operation, real easy to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    it's a very easy thing to do! if you want to use original rubber bands first of all you'll need one of those small curved scissors or something similar. Next you'll need an old figure to sacrifice. Just pull it's leg out so you can see where the rubber enters the leg and carefully pull the rubber ball out by making way in with the curved scissor. You may also make little cuts in the interior seams so you'll have a larger way to manouver without damaging the rubber balll inside the leg.

ONce you have both sides out you just have to force it back in the new legs of the repaired figure, pay attention to the rubbers orientation so you won't have twisted legs later on. I'm telling you, this is a 5 minute operation, real easy to do.

would be great if i had a pile of figures to sacrifice

you just need one ask your neighboor, or wait till you hit one at the bootfair

I've used this method many times! Works great and it's easy!

He-Bro's method works great..Ive done it a bunch..

Evil Henchman of Hordak Louis649's Avatar
    He-bro's method is the most reliable of all but I'm having trouble with the eye-hooks. Which size of them is the correct one?
    I'm Skeletor, master of evil! All of you should show respect for the awful one.

I am Grizzlor #1 fan!

Sheboygan,WI(Home of the Worlds Biggest Bratwurst Celebration)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis649 View Post
    He-bro's method is the most reliable of all but I'm having trouble with the eye-hooks. Which size of them is the correct one?

I get my eye screws from home depot,i belive the are #214.I know others use a different size,but the ones I use,have a longer screw area and the "eye" part of the screw,fits perfectly inside the inner leg where the "ball would be.When your finished you cant even tell by looking at it,that it was fixed.I tried a bigger size eye screw,but it was bulging where the leg goes into the furries,and it stood funny,and you could totaly tell it was repaired.Oh also,I know he-bro's site says to used dentle floss,but it hurt my fingers and hands,so I use some of that coated wire that holds figures into the tray,to keep a figure tight and not moving around inside the blister.You can find the wire in most figures that are being sold now.Hope this helps.If you need help you can send your figures to me and I can do it for you.
    My active ebay items for sale.http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/taddow...Q_fromZQQ_mdoZ
    --------------------------------------------
    GOOD TRADERS
    jbaw2, Dr.Omega, Andrea_the_cat@yahoo.it, tmcclurg, celticsfan, THEGODBEAST, Venom77713, Royalt1us, racerx, davidlogan, granbeetle, MOTU SAN JOSE 2, prime731,galaxywarrior,Butterflyer,Creasy Bear.

yes. Watch out for that dental floss, It will cut your circulation quickly.. haha. I've found you really had to pull it tight, inorder to tuck it into the other screw. I might be doing it wrong..

Quote Originally Posted by joeybones View Post
    yes. Watch out for that dental floss, It will cut your circulation quickly.. haha. I've found you really had to pull it tight, inorder to tuck it into the other screw. I might be doing it wrong..
    I allways start with the right leg.First I thread the eye screw into both legs as far as they can go and then I remove them,then I open the eye and put the o ring in,and pinch it closed with a pliers(needle nose,a small one)and put it back into the pre "drilled" hole,using the pliers,then I put the coated wire through the o ring and bend it in half,so that the ends are the exact length.After that I bend the ends to a curve to feed it through the crotch to the other side.Then I pull the rest through with the pliers,and pull it as tight as I can,may need to use your knees to hold the figure,then I take the needle nose and feed the other open eye through the o ring,and pinch it closed,then I pull it out a little more and hold it with the pliers,and twist the left leg on.Hope it helps.Maybe I'll take some how to picks.
    My active ebay items for sale.http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/taddow...Q_fromZQQ_mdoZ
    GOOD TRADERS
    jbaw2, Dr.Omega, Andrea_the_cat@yahoo.it, tmcclurg, celticsfan, THEGODBEAST, Venom77713, Royalt1us, racerx, davidlogan, granbeetle, MOTU SAN JOSE 2, prime731,galaxywarrior,Butterflyer,Creasy Bear.

oh wow.. Cool..

So you now, stick the eyelet all the way down in the leg hole, No longer like half way..

The only real problem I see is.. I can seem to get all the old rubber out of the leg.. Do you use something other than needlenose? for that..

Quote Originally Posted by joeybones View Post
    oh wow.. Cool..

So you now, stick the eyelet all the way down in the leg hole, No longer like half way..

The only real problem I see is.. I can seem to get all the old rubber out of the leg.. Do you use something other than needlenose? for that..

I allways heat that part of the leg with a hair dryer until it gets soft,then I use a small flat head screw driner to pop the rest of the rubber out.
    GOOD TRADERS

Heroic Warrior kylefromdirtnapp's Avatar
    I'm going to stop collecting toys and start smoking crack. Crack is cheaper and less addictive.
    My collections and trade/sale stuff

Widget
    Whooow! I just remade Spikor today, its just great!!!!!!!!!!!!