Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: How to repair MOTU action figures broken legs?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerno View Post
    Whooow! I just remade Spikor today, its just great!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Cool, I'm glad it helped, post some pictures of it.

Heroic Warrior
    OK, I recently contacted one of the customizers that sells figures on ebay and asked how he creates things like slime pit He-Man and what he uses in the legs. He replied that he has NEW rubber pieces for the legs, cast off old ones, and for ten bucks he could take the old rubber out, replace with new, and bam...instant fix. So, I took him up on his offer, excited to see how it turned out and it arrived today!!!! INCREDIBLE. I won this He-Man carded on ebay and was disappointed to see the loose legs inside so I opened him and his legs are just simply perfect. There is NO WAY besides the rubber looking shiny and new that you could tell. And the person I dealt with...absolutely TOP NOTCH. He did the job immediately, emailed me right away, sent it back same day. I had this puppy send and received back in like four days. He even emailed a picture AND a video to show me what it looked like while I waited for it to arrive. Incredible service, cost, and experience. Just letting you know that there is an alternative to drilling into the legs.
    www.toyjesus.com
    All your MOTU Sticker and Instruction needs!

Sheboygan,WI(Home of the Worlds Biggest Bratwurst Celebration)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyjesus View Post
    OK, I recently contacted one of the customizers that sells figures on ebay and asked how he creates things like slime pit He-Man and what he uses in the legs. He replied that he has NEW rubber pieces for the legs, cast off old ones, and for ten bucks he could take the old rubber out, replace with new, and bam...instant fix. So, I took him up on his offer, excited to see how it turned out and it arrived today!!!! INCREDIBLE. I won this He-Man carded on ebay and was disappointed to see the loose legs inside so I opened him and his legs are just simply perfect. There is NO WAY besides the rubber looking shiny and new that you could tell. And the person I dealt with...absolutely TOP NOTCH. He did the job immediately, emailed me right away, sent it back same day. I had this puppy send and received back in like four days. He even emailed a picture AND a video to show me what it looked like while I waited for it to arrive. Incredible service, cost, and experience. Just letting you know that there is an alternative to drilling into the legs.
    Sounds like you got a good deal.Can we see the pic and the video?
    My active ebay items for sale.http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/taddow...Q_fromZQQ_mdoZ
    --------------------------------------------
    GOOD TRADERS
    jbaw2, Dr.Omega, Andrea_the_cat@yahoo.it, tmcclurg, celticsfan, THEGODBEAST, Venom77713, Royalt1us, racerx, davidlogan, granbeetle, MOTU SAN JOSE 2, prime731,galaxywarrior,Butterflyer,Creasy Bear.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by BURTDAWG View Post
    Sounds like you got a good deal.Can we see the pic and the video?
    Here is the picture and video:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    www.toyjesus.com
    All your MOTU Sticker and Instruction needs!

Im not sure if the video is cool, or creepy.

I think its the "thrusting" motion of the leg pull thats throwing me off.

Widget
    cool, I always had this query myself too

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    Think of the US constitution, that thing has existed for over 200 years and it's just paper.
    Actually....... it's parchment.

A cured animal skin.
    Think... Silence of the Lambs.

Quote Originally Posted by H-Balm View Post
    Actually....... it's parchment.

A cured animal skin.
    Think... Silence of the Lambs.
    It's also in a specialized micro-environment with very little oxygen, mostly nitrogen. If we could afford this for all of our figures, then we wouldn't have anything to worry about!

I've always tried to keep my stuff in tip-top condition so imagine my dismay when I discovered my Fright Zone glove puppet had all but disintegrated! Has anyone else had this problem?
    Bak-or - Evil Master of Mean-Spiritedness

My kids play with the vintage guys relentlessly... most have survived, but yea we've had some leg breaks... great solution, commemorative! These guys are like starting over again, and they are holding up really well. There are sooo many lots on ebay, that when we lose a number of characters due to the unrelenting violence on Eternia, we'll pick up another lot for 15 bucks. I don't think Mattel was thinking we'd be passing these toys off, or still collecting them 30 years down the line... that being considered, most of them as well as their play features have held up wonderfully... some modern toy lines break after 2 days out of the package, let alone 30 years.
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

paper, books, hard drives, cd's, these are not likely to survive for 300 years. a plastic figure, i guess it will last way longer than that, except for the leg bands

Heroic Warrior
    Maybe all of them will fall apart, but I'll deal with that when the time comes.

Heroic Warrior
    I read up on the deteroration of action figures and plastics last week, after being reminded of a few sticky figures as I dusted my action figure shelves. (No sticky MOTU, but I only have two vintage ones, only GI Joe/Action Force and old Kenner Star Wars, and one not too old Invisible Woman form ToyBiz.)

Anyway, from what I read what makes figures sticky is the chemicals mixed in with the plastics (like softeners) that loose their bond. My Action Force Zartan for example oozes something crystalline. Things that accelerate degradation include light, lack of oxygen, chemicals and temperature variation. The last one appaerently is the biggest common crook.

Bags in general is bad for both plastic and paper since they keep out oxygen and include chemicals that do damage. Mostly to paper. For example Mylar bags that comics collector's use needs to be replaced every few years to make sure.

Another factor is what type of plastic that was used and which chemicals were added, in a particular batch of figures. Still, the rubber will go before the plastic and the plastic in these action figures will outlast us all even if it becomes sticky and colors run (Two Bad is a common example from MOTU).

So, mild/cool room temperature with ventilation and no lights is the ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielSchenstrom View Post
    Bags in general is bad for both plastic and paper since they keep out oxygen and include chemicals that do damage. Mostly to paper. For example Mylar bags that comics collector's use needs to be replaced every few years to make sure.
    WHAT?!? Are you sure? I buy mylars specifically because they needn't be replaced, have I been lied to?

I still think there has to be a way to preserve your figures without having to sell your first born in order to pay for it.

Heroic Warrior
    No, sorry, my bad. Mylar should be the safe option, I meant the regular cheaper comics polybags.

I've noticed that if u wash figs with soap and water, the stickiness does indeed go away... it may take a few washes. None of my vintage MOTU have gotten the stick however, all are doing just fine, well except for the bands... nothing will help that nonsense!
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Maybe all of them will fall apart, but I'll deal with that when the time comes.

Me too. I think mine are as decent as they are because they are for display now. I don't play with them and I'll never let my nieces play with them. Even my 200x stuff is off limits. Mine should be fine for decades to come and after that I won't care because I'll be dead.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

I read up on the deteroration of action figures and plastics last week, after being reminded of a few sticky figures as I dusted my action figure shelves. (No sticky MOTU, but I only have two vintage ones, only GI Joe/Action Force and old Kenner Star Wars, and one not too old Invisible Woman form ToyBiz.)

Anyway, from what I read what makes figures sticky is the chemicals mixed in with the plastics (like softeners) that loose their bond. My Action Force Zartan for example oozes something crystalline. Things that accelerate degradation include light, lack of oxygen, chemicals and temperature variation. The last one appaerently is the biggest common crook.

Another factor is what type of plastic that was used and which chemicals were added, in a particular batch of figures. Still, the rubber will go before the plastic and the plastic in these action figures will outlast us all even if it becomes sticky and colors run (Two Bad is a common example from MOTU).

So, mild/cool room temperature with ventilation and no lights is the ideal.

I can see how light and temperature can be the two biggest culprits here. Paper (such as what the card backs are made of) will have a shorter half life if you give it plenty of oxygen. Anything biological in origin (like paper) needs to be kept out of oxygen rich sources or it will deteriorate. This is probably in contrast to plastics which have very little (if any) organic composition, thus probably survive better in more arid, oxygen-rich environments.

To make a long story short, you are faced with a dilemma with vintage carded action figures: to preserve the card, or preserve the figure? Unless you design a system that has the proper mixture of gases (oxygen, nitrogen, hydrogen) and controlled temperature and lighting. But for the most of us the "mild/cool temperature with ventilation and no lights" recipe will work just fine.
    Last edited by sircory-1; February 17, 2009 at 03:52pm.

No, sorry, my bad. Mylar should be the safe option, I meant the regular cheaper comics polybags.
    eep.

You scared me there, I thought I was going to have to change up again and it would have driven my comic shop crazy.

Nothing in life is permanent, all things deteroriate. I try not to get too attached to anything material.

There's enough to worry about the living beings around me.

heidi
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

Oh, if only I'd had this information when I was 7 ... When I think of the "amputee" figures I had as a kid ...

Heroic Warrior
    ya i woul dlove to get this info... so i could start building my Motu collection

Oh, well, with the He-bro way I've fixed dozen of my figures, don't mind if the loose value, they will be forever mine!
    Now a question, nobody knows how to fix the leg joint of other knock-off AF? I just purchased a lot with three Remco figures with their hard-plastic joints brocken, it's a glue-proof damage, anyone knows how?
    C'mon He-bro, you're the genius here, make me dream!
    Danbrenus
    uomo libero e guerriero delle schiere Boiche

http://danbrenus.deviantart.com/
    My pre-Filmation minicomics:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=184385
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189337
    Of course I do commission, after all I have to live!
    Chiaramente accetto commissioni, dovr˛ pur campare...

Quote Originally Posted by danbrenus View Post
    Oh, well, with the He-bro way I've fixed dozen of my figures, don't mind if the loose value, they will be forever mine!
    Now a question, nobody knows how to fix the leg joint of other knock-off AF? I just purchased a lot with three Remco figures with their hard-plastic joints brocken, it's a glue-proof damage, anyone knows how?
    C'mon He-bro, you're the genius here, make me dream!
    Is this what you have?

Yeah, damn those joints!
    Danbrenus
    uomo libero e guerriero delle schiere Boiche

http://danbrenus.deviantart.com/
    My pre-Filmation minicomics:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=184385
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189337
    Of course I do commission, after all I have to live!
    Chiaramente accetto commissioni, dovr˛ pur campare...