Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: How to repair MOTU action figures broken legs?

Quote Originally Posted by dark knight View Post
    Does anyone can tell me from where people are getting this? and from now on, it is going to be pretty hard to know which motus are repaired and which not...

Attachment 116082Attachment 116082Attachment 116082
    Where are these screenshots from? I don’t read Spanish but it looks like these are replacement rubber leg pieces? I’d love to be able to get some if they are good quality, cheaper than buying donator figures.

I fix broken legs.

Excellent review, very helpful!
    I am definitely going to look into getting some of those connectors!

I received some "He-Band" leg rubber bands today, and did a test repair. I've done numerous o-ring repairs, but don't feel it's an optimal fix, and that the figures with o-rings are tainted in some strange way. I will never do an o-ring repair on a vintage MOTU figure ever again!

I did 3-4 figures in about 15 minutes, it was much less work than an o-ring fix.
    Warming the parts for about 30-45 seconds in hot water, made the job a lot easier. This also works great for initially removing the broken rubber left in the legs - popping out in one piece every time. Another thing I found out, was if I didn't dry out the small amount of water in the "leg cup", it worked as temporary lube for inserting the new D-part of the new bands. It also allows for adjustments, like easily rotating the leg to align them after installing, without twisting the rubber bands. The water evaporates in no time, so it won't present an issue over time.

Thoughts so far (4 figures in);

Pros:
    - Keep the figures look & feel like original - obviously, as these parts are like the original parts
    - Less intrusive on the legs compared to the eyelet screws (can damage the lip on "leg cup")
    - Very easy install (after the first figure, it's a walk in the park)
    - Less parts & tools needed (not a big issue)

Cons:
    - None really
    - The ones I've tested, could be just a tiny bit shorter (1-2mm), making the legs feel even tighter once on the figure.

The figures now stands very well, and is easily posable, just like it was intended.
    I've also ordered some from the US, that seems somewhat beefier, and will be testing them out as soon as they arrive.
    Might pick up the ones from Argentina as well, and see which works best for me.
    Last edited by simensays; October 25, 2018 at 05:25am.

Question...

Quote Originally Posted by simensays View Post
    I received some "He-Band" leg rubber bands today, and immediately did a test repair. I've done numerous o-ring repairs, but don't feel it's an optimal fix, and that the figures with o-rings are tainted in some strange way. I will never do an o-ring repair on a vintage MOTU figure ever again!
    I got a couple of questions for you. Did you only fix motu figures that have o-rings attached, and also was it hard removing the o-rings on figures that did have them??

I ask cause i recently head about this method of fixing he-man figures with He-Band leg rubbers. Ive seen the YouTube video as well with the person demonstrating on how to fix the figures legs with the bands.

Might buy me some He-Bands for my vintage collection or not since in a way they are already fixed. However using the bands would come in handy, if one day should one of my figures legs fall off the shelf along with the rest of the figure. Whenever the time comes i will give this new fix a try.

LONG LIVE MOTU
    Last edited by ralgonzo26; October 23, 2018 at 04:29pm.

I did one figure that I previously fixed using the old o-ring & eyelet screw, and three figures with the original rubber.

Removing the o-rings is very easy - simply reverse the steps of mounting them. There are lots of videos showing the mounting procedure out there.
    - I simply cut the o-rings though
    - Then it's as simple as unscrewing the eyelets

If the person that fixed the figure did not use a too big of an eyelet screw, and did a tidy job, there should be no problems. However, a sloppy o-ring fix, can damage the lip of the "leg cup", making it torn or bigger/wider. This can make the original styled new leg rubber band, not seat properly, and even come loose. This is probably not an issue for many figures that have been fixed, just something to be aware of.

For the job I only used a forceps clamp (good as it clamps the parts you're holding when you let go - but as this would put a bit much prssure on the rubber, i wrapped a regular rubber band around it, so it clamp gently without locking it tight), hot water, and a thin string (I found a loop thingy from a key ring) to pull the band thru the crotch part of the figure. That is the most delicate part of the job, but I found a combination of first gently pulling the leg rubber using the string up to the hole, then pushing it with the closed nose of the forceps into the hole, then pulling it again using the string the rest of the way thru, work good. I snapped the head off one leg rubber by just pulling it all the way. You can not break anything, other than the rubber band, so no harm can be done really. It probably smart not to use a flathead screwdriver, or a any sharp, pointy tool, so not to poke a hole or damage the rubber.

I have ordered several sets from 3 different vendors (UK, US and Argentina) for comparison & testing.
    Last edited by simensays; October 24, 2018 at 12:59pm.

Heroic Warrior
    So I just posted this in the Customs section and then later saw this thread. I just wanted to say that I ordered the 3D printed vans from eBay and I also ordered the rubber ones. The 3D printer ones made it here first so I went ahead and I tried using them and they are fantastic. I don't know much about 3D printed materials but I made the assumption that they weren't going to be strong or rubbery but I couldn't have been more wrong. They make the figure even tighter than the original so when you post them the legs will stay in that spot, if you're interested and you have any hesitation, just buy them. What an amazing fix that we had to wait almost 40 years for.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    www.toyjesus.com
    All your MOTU Sticker and Instruction needs!

There's a guy on ebay & etsy, goes by the name jellydinosaur on etsy
    I've orders over 50 bands from him, they are not rubber like the ebay link posted above

I've replaced in about 10 figures so far. they are very tight and they hold very well. The trickiest part is getting the band through the upper crotch section and then into the other leg's socket.

Tools I use
    -Very small flathead screwdriver to push the ball into the leg socket
    -Xacto/small knife/flathead to pick out the old rubber left over in the sockets
    -Needle nose pliers to pull the leg with new band in it through the crotch piece

Most of my figures don't need bands right now and I have over 300 vintage figures, they are surprisingly tight in most cases still.

The seller mentions some figures not to use the replacement bands on:
    Leech, Anyone with Stratos legs, female figures

He did send me a prototype for a female leg band, and it was a bear getting it connected but it has held up very well.

A simple search on etsy will find these. [He has better prices on etsy compared to ebay]
    "I feel the best when I can't remember anything."

That is great info ToyJesus - I've got three sets of the 3D printed version arriving any day now!
    I've done a few more repairs now, with the rubber versions mentioned earlier, and they do work great - but I'm stoked to hear that the ones you used are a bit tighter.
    When I get both side by side, I'll do a comparison of some kind.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm anxious to hear your comparison. I haven't gotten the rubber ones yet. I've fixed 6 and it's just so great. I haven't touched my minty figures for years for fear of breaking. The 3d printed bands won't pass as originals but they are much tighter than what appears in the video above. In the end I think this will come down to personal preference. Authenticity like the originals vs the tightness opposability of the 3D printed. The only downside I can see to the 3D printed ones is that for the figures that have that tiny little extra flap inside the crotch piece, it pushes the band back further making it just a little bit tighter. Because of that, the loincloth of the crotch does leave a small indentation on the legs depending on how soft the plastic of the legs is. I'm seeing it on my 8 back Skeletor but I don't mind it because the trade-off of a solid standing figure is just worth it. I saw he posted female leg bands so I grabbed those, excited to see an evil lyn that will actually stand.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    www.toyjesus.com
    All your MOTU Sticker and Instruction needs!

The 3D printed leg rubbers arrived today, and I've just installed one now.
    Here are some of my initial thoughts, and a quick comparison of the two different variants I've tested so far:

The beefier 3D printed version is a bit shorter than the other version, which is an injection molded replica of the original leg rubbers.
    It (the 3D printed one) does make the leg tighter on a figure, over the other ones I've mentioned in earlier posts.
    The rubber is flexible, strong - and from my years of experience with 3D printing various materials, I do not see an issue going this route. Time will tell how it holds up.

However, my earlier comment regarding the original styled rubber bands and their length in relation to the tightness of the finished figure, is in the case of the 3D printed version reversed.
    They seem a bit too short, making the legs too tight. The band actually pull on the legs a bit too much, lifting the heels up and outwards - as shown in the pictures below. The shorter length, and the characteristics of the material used, also makes the process of installation a trickier one. Due to the length of these bands, the final step (I install one leg first, then thread the rubber band thru the hip part, then install the band into the last leg) is a bit fiddly, as Toy Polloi would say. The end on this version is also a bit oversized adding to the challenge. Still it is doable, and will probably go smoother for each figure one does.

The figure to the left, that got the 3D printed bands, now have very tight legs - in fact so tight that posing it needs some attention, as the legs constantly are pulled outwards. Still it is fully posable.
    Now that I have tested both versions - I like elements of both, but neither one is optimal. As a product designer, I can say that this is an easy fix for either party - well, not so much for the people making the injection molded version, as this is a much more elaborate manufacturing process (mainly tooling). The guy/girl whom makes the 3D printed bands, can simply adjust the CAD file, making the bands a couple of mm longer, and it should work even better. The injection molded ones, needs a new mold, but should be a couple of mm shorter. I don't know who makes these, and this is simply a subjective observation on my part - and how I'd do it, if I was designing and selling these.

Bare in mind, that these are my initial thoughts on the two versions of leg bands, and I've only done one figure with the 3D printed bands at this point. Different type of figures may respond differently (they shouldn't) and it may settle in a bit - being stretched while in the figure - resolving this issue naturally.

This method of repairing broken legs on vintage MOTU figures is a game changer for sure - preserving and improving old figures in a proper way.

EDIT:

I did a few more figures, with the 3D printed leg band - and the results on "clawed" figures is better right off the bat (due to the narrower stance). I worked the band by stretching it before installing, and it seems to help. I noticed that cleaning out the old rubber makes a big difference before performing this fix (opposed to the old o-ring method). which is easily done by warming the parts in hot water and flipping out the remaining, torn rubber with a flat head screw driver.

I need to do a few more figures with the standard legs, like he-man, but simply pre-stretching the 3D printed bands seems to help the heel lift issue mentioned above.

Last edited by simensays; November 4, 2018 at 10:50am.

So before today, all leg fixes Iíve done have used tight vintage bands from donor figures, and Iíve been happy with that. However, I recently ran out of donor figures with acceptable bands, so I ordered some bands from the Etsy seller Jellydinosaur, and they arrived yesterday. They look a lot like the 3D printed bands in the post above. I installed four today with little trouble (Taiwan figures seem to be more difficult than those from Malaysia). Although the bands are shorter than the vintage versions, I donít notice any pulling or heel-lift issues. I suppose time will tell how they hold up, but for now everyone has tight legs and looks great. So if youíre looking to repair some old figures, and donít want to order from outside the US, those bands from the Etsy seller are a great option.

Heroic Warrior
    Any tips for getting the original ball joints OUT if the band snaps, leaving them inside?

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrala View Post
    Any tips for getting the original ball joints OUT if the band snaps, leaving them inside?
    Boil some water, drop the leg in and let it heat up for a minute or so, then fish it out and use one of those tiny flathead screwdrivers (the kind you’d use to fix eyeglasses or take apart a computer tower) to dig it out of there.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin83 View Post
    Boil some water, drop the leg in and let it heat up for a minute or so, then fish it out and use one of those tiny flathead screwdrivers (the kind you’d use to fix eyeglasses or take apart a computer tower) to dig it out of there.
    Yeah... I've been doing that. Totally stuck. Maybe it's time to get some GooGone.

Weird. I wonder if the band or the leg was still a little hot when it was put together and they fused? Goo gone sounds like a good idea, or maybe some tiny needle nose pliers to try and pull it out a piece at a time?

Heroic Warrior
    Happened a second time. I can't get these ball joints out without snapping off completely inside the legs.

Who can Help damaged Leech

My Leech is one of my oldest Figures and his Gummiband is tear in two

Have some one any idea how i can fix that ?

i worry to open him becaus of the area whre i can fill water

Can some one Help knows one of you a way to fix this ?
    MOTUC Figures should have detaching Arms (Example Trap-Jaw) and Upperbody should be not one with the legs (King Hiss) for mixing Parts!!!
    --- We need more custom Figures! ---

...if you are He-Ro≤ - Son of He-Man and MOTU Fan join the SoH Group

This Looks Complicated but 2nd question is: "Where i get all this things and tools i need for???"

He-Bro thanks for your Videos

and lannyjack Videos have shown same you showed in the 2nd Video i would try an new legband it looks easyer and i like a replace ment who looks and work same like the original Band.

When this Happen i am Happy MOTUC have PLastik Balljoints and i am not anymore Angry of the detachment by the leggs from 200X Toyline becaus i will never have broken legs after some years (no gummy no problem)

The Gummyband should made as TPE Gummiband ( this will not get broken because of time / they get not dry ^__^ )
    Last edited by ≤He-Ro; March 9, 2019 at 07:41am.
    MOTUC Figures should have detaching Arms (Example Trap-Jaw) and Upperbody should be not one with the legs (King Hiss) for mixing Parts!!!

Questions About MOTU Leg Repairs

So, I have some questions of motu leg repairing and I was curious to see what anyone here would say on the matter... First off, I have already previously repaired some of my motu figures legs with rubber o rings along with the eye screws. The figures legs came off on there own due to being old and weak. My first question is a two part question... should i leave the o rings and eye screws attached or should i replace them with the 3D leg rubbers?

My last question that i have is... Most of my vintage motu figures have survived my childhood of over 30 plus years. As expected i have a few figures with the original loose wobbly rubber attached to the legs. Should those figures with loose legs be left as they are or should i do surgery on them and repair them? I know there's a saying that goes by, don't fix what is not broken... but i am confused and not sure on what to do as it pertains to wobbly legs and with the figures that are repaired with o rings and eye screws

LONG LIVE MOTU

ralgonzo26
    i had some familar Thinkings the 3D Bands looks like a great Idea i watche the vidoes on post before and it is the best repair 2 reason no damage to the legs original way to get funtion ist all time the best repair

II am Happy we have now better legs connections
    i hope we get for MOTUC detuchable arms and legs so we can fix some parts easyer
    a single part reworking by matell would be great too for lost swords and things

I can't leave a He-Man Figure and buy a new one even than i feel the deep wish to fix the damaged Figure and it should be fixed on the best way i can even when it takes some time

EDIT: "I have now the Gummy Out of the Figure and now i need only a new Gumyband" (some one from Europe maybe germany knows where i can gut a new gumy band ?)
    Last edited by ≤He-Ro; March 17, 2019 at 09:17pm. Reason: new News

I fixed a few of mine like this. Works really well. It figures too. Seems like people on eBay catch on that people can do this so they charge more than what they should.

There is a guy here in Top Toys Land that sells leg bands in black, white and transparent.

QkafYiQ.jpg