Thread: Kelgaard's MOTU movie pitch

Widget

Kelgaard's MOTU movie pitch

This pitch is a response to wolfsfang's thread "Your dream MOTU movie"

Check it out here:

http://www.he-man.org/community/view...013&ImgID=5601

I welcome any suggestions for improvements.

I'm liking your pitch. And I could see this as an actual movie. I love the buildup to the Sorceress' appearance, and I think it's neat how He-Man-despite being a barbarian-is quite educated. Reminds me a lot of the old Conan stories.

I really enjoy this.

The only thing I'm not a huge fan of is Catra's appearance. It feels off, somehow, to have a single Horde member in the film when another of Skeletor's minions could have served the role of random opponent for Teela just as well.

Also, if there are thoughts of the story continuing (i.e. sequels), I'd rather not see Stratos killed so early; that could easily be his predecessor, and a glimpse of Stratos' reaction to his predecessor's death could be a moving moment.

Overall, however, I really like the tone you've set here. The feel reminds me of some of the earlier mini-comics, which totally works for me.

It rather makes Teela the hero of the story, as opposed to He-Man, which I like but I'm not sure how far that would fly in terms of actually being made.

EDIT: I felt like I should "spoiler" some of this for those who haven't read it yet ... not sure if that was necessary.
    Last edited by j-bird; September 4, 2014 at 12:49pm.

Widget
    No need to worry about spoilers, j-bird. I figure the discussion can only generate interest in my story.

For me, Catra isn't a random opponent. I've long wanted a female adversary for Teela other than Evil-Lyn, and Catra is my preferred choice. I also like having an all-female battle in my story. I don't consider it a big deal that she's supposed to be with the Horde. I just reimagined her character a little to suit my story.

As for Stratos, I felt that eliminating a classic hero early would serve to heighten the tension. It lets us know that no one is safe. BUT, I did make a point to only imply his death. He could possibly return.

About Teela, yeah, I want her to be just as important as He-Man, though I don't feel like I executed it very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelgaard View Post
    No need to worry about spoilers, j-bird. I figure the discussion can only generate interest in my story.

For me, Catra isn't a random opponent. I've long wanted a female adversary for Teela other than Evil-Lyn, and Catra is my preferred choice. I also like having an all-female battle in my story. I don't consider it a big deal that she's supposed to be with the Horde. I just reimagined her character a little to suit my story.

As for Stratos, I felt that eliminating a classic hero early would serve to heighten the tension. It lets us know that no one is safe. BUT, I did make a point to only imply his death. He could possibly return.

About Teela, yeah, I want her to be just as important as He-Man, though I don't feel like I executed it very well.
    Those are fair points.

I'm glad to hear you confirm that Stratos' death wasn't certain; that description of the Avions going into battle made me want more, and it just wouldn't be the same without Stratos in the lead.

In terms of Teela being as important as He-Man, I feel like you got that across, at least for me. She's one of my favorite characters, so it's nice to see her take center stage.

I will say, however, that her rapid ascension to Sorceress makes Evil-Lyn an even more logical choice as her female adversary, but that's just my opinion and you have to do what works for you. If you wanted a female opponent other than Evil-Lyn, though, your options are limited; you almost have to reach out for the Horde females, and Catra does seem like the best fit in that case.