Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Masters of the Universe - A New Vision

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain View Post
    so far it's a fun read... though I am not too far in. I have always loved the "what if?" stories and a new spin on an old concept is always welcome as far as I am concerned.
    We're always happy to have a new fan

Also, for anyone else whose interested, although Wolf and I are taking a bit of a hiatus this week, keep an eye out for a couple bios from some other writers.

Here is a bio I came up with for the NV for a non tech Strider. I hope you all like it.

STRIDER

Out of all the types of Unicorn's on Eternia, none where more revered than the Silvermane. A pack so beautiful and royal, an Eternian finds it a great honor just to catch a glimpse of one in their lifetime. But none were as beautiful, none as royal, or as majestic a Unicorn than the one called Strider. Stories began to circulate about the mighty Unicorn, started by the few that said they where blessed by the Gods to encounter the Silvermane. They told how a simple look from Strider demands just as much respect as that of the greatest kings in Eternia. They called him the King of all Unicorns. He was described as being slightly larger then other Unicorns, with a much broader frame, and a much shinier, and longer mane. Stories of Strider reached the children of Eternia and countless school grounds where abuzz with tales of the Royal Unicorn.

Unfortunately, the stories of Strider also reached a man in the Evergreen forest by the name of Ricter Braum, who many referred to as 'The Huntsman'. Ricter was a wanted man, on the run for crimes against endangered species, and protected creatures under the law of King Miro. By order of the King, it was illegal to kill, or harm a Unicorn, which is what the Huntsman was wanted for. He found pleasure in hunting down mystic, or savage creatures of Eternia. When he heard the Silvermane was last seen in the Forest, he packed up his Bow, spear, and dagger and went on the hunt. Ricter found it safe to leave his hidden hut in the forest, because of the Great War. He knew any and all of the King's men would be in the battle against Keldor and his troops. Ricter hunted the creatures for months, knowing he was on the right track by hoof prints, or a stand of silver hair here and there, but was unable to get close enough, until one musky morning.

He finally saw the Silvermane known as Strider, grazing in a beautiful field. Ricter watched in amazement, as the creature ate. Shocking even himself, he understood the respect that so many had for him, for Strider gave even a cold hearted man like The Huntsman a feeling of unworthiness, just to watch him eat. But most of Ricter's conscience had left him long ago. Ricter raised his bow, readied an arrow, took aim, and fired, just as Strider looked up. The arrow caught the Unicorn in the side, but instead of running away, Strider started to run towards the man, ready to fight for his life. Ricter quickly shot another arrow, this time striking Strider's chest. Strider broke into a dead run, hitting the ground just inches in front of Ricter. Smiling, he picked up his spear, and plunged it into the animal’s side. Then, taking his dagger, he began to cut, and saw away the Unicorn's crown, being his horn. As Ricter raised the bloody horn above his head, smiling, he yelled out "THE HUNTSMAN'S FINEST KILL! THE MIGHTY STRIDER, LORD OF...", but Ricter never got a chance to finish, for the mighty Unicorn, quickly stood up and knocked the Huntsman down. With a loud snort, Strider began to stomp the man with his two front hooves. Lifting his large body off the ground, Strider drove all his weight down onto the man's face and chest, until the mighty Huntsman was no more.

Strider, with two arrows and a spear sticking out of his body, and a large, bloody wound on his head, started to walk. In shock, not even knowing where he was going, or what he was doing, he came across an army of soldiers. The army was led by King Randor, returning after a long battle, and the defeat of Keldor. Strider stopped in his tracks, as did the young king. The two noble beings eyes’ met, and at once Randor knew this was not a horse that was in the Great War. He knew, by the majesty of the creature, and the fresh wound on his head, that this was a Unicorn. And not just any kind of Unicorn, but a Silvermane. Randor knew by the size of the creature, he had to be the legendary Strider. The soldiers had many wounded with them, needing medical treatment, and needed to get back to base as quickly as they could. Randor thought about leaving Strider to die, thinking only of his men's safety, but he then thought of his older brother. No matter how evil his deeds had been, he had still taken pity on Randor and spared his life. Randor asked himself, how can I be spared, then turn away this royal animal in return? Randor walked slowly up to Strider, reaching out his hand. Strider didn’t move, aside from his heaving body, breathing slowly, but loudly. Randor's hand came in contact with Strider's neck, and started stroking him.

With both fear, and amazement, Strider seemed to find his touch comforting. Randor moved his hand up his neck, and lightly grasped his long silver mane. Making a small clicking noise with his mouth, and moving forward, still lightly holding the mane, Strider started to move with the young king. Randor led the Unicorn, along with his men back home. In time, and with the proper medical treatment, Strider made a fast and full recovery.

In time, Randor decided it was time to let the Unicorn go back into the wild. Randor and his friend, Duncan led the Unicorn into the evergreen forest, and said goodbye. As the two men walked away, they heard Strider following. When Randor turned around, Strider nudged his face with his nose. His friend, Duncan laughed at this, and told Randor, “I don't think he's going anywhere.” From then on, any time King Randor traveled, he would be seen riding a mighty white horse, with a beautiful silver mane, and a battle scar on his forehead, named Strider.
    Last edited by The_Robin; November 28, 2007 at 01:26am.

wow you really put a lot of work on this, congrats it's looking great, i was just scrolling down and got scared by that hordak pic, hehe iots frightening!!

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    wow you really put a lot of work on this, congrats it's looking great, i was just scrolling down and got scared by that hordak pic, hehe iots frightening!!
    Heh then the pic has fulfilled its purpose. I designed it that way because I thought Hordak would and should look scary.

Yep there is a lot of work gone into this. Like Darth constantly reminds me, we are running out of official character bios to redo...but that does not mean this is coming to an end! Oh no we still have race bios (where we talk about the different races and their histories), Animal and Creature bios and quite a bit more. We are not just reimagining the characters...we are recreating the whole world
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Co-Creator of the NV
    Poll 16 of the Staction Contest is coming up in the morning. This round will feature one of my NV characters named An-Gar (formerly Wrath) and I'd appreciate it if the NV readers could come out and help support Wrath in the next poll.

For those who haven't read the An-Gar bio already, or seen the fantastic art that oICEMANo graciously created for it, here is a link to the updated version of it.

Update: The poll is now up and here it is.

Roboto

Here is my version of Roboto in this tech-less version of Eternia

Roboto

War has many consequences...and victims. Lives are ruined, treasures are lost, destruction abounds and perhaps even more tragically....history is lost. When destruction takes away records, buildings booking the acts become skewed, memories are corrupted, and the truth becomes unattainable ,until finally, without all the pieces of the puzzle available, fact becomes fiction, fiction becomes legend, legend becomes fable, fable to gossip.....in the end they are forgotten as though they never existed at all. The Great War of 5 BPA was no exception.

Keldor was not content with only taking over Eternia; he was determined to rewrite its history. Nothing that came before him was important. He mercilessly ordered to kill all the old families, destroy their cattle, properties, books, records...If it could not be used to help him gain power or knowledge, it was deemed useless. Yes after Keldor became King it would signal the start of a new era...and as far as Keldor was concerned, it would be the first and only era future Eternians would ever know.

His plans for conquest failed, but not before he would inflict a lot of damage on the history and heritage of Eternia. He may have lost the war, but he won many battles during that time. One such battle was on the land owned by the last surviving members of the Boutiro Family. Distant relatives of the King; their lineage included 2 former Man-At-Arms, one former captain of the guard and palace librarian. They were known for their bravery and kindness, always willing to send their sons to battle (unlike most nobles), help with any magical or mechanical knowledge etc. The recent generations however had produced a large number of females, dwindling the family name. In a shocking development the last remaining male member Alcor Boutiro married a woman of the Gar race. They had 4 children 2 boys and 2 girls. He was however disavowed by all living relatives who disapproved of the union. The Boutiro family was henceforth removed from the history of Gar and Eternian libraries.

Like their predecessors Alcors children grew up under intense training of the body and the mind. Jemina the eldest (and heir to the Boutiro Castle and fortune) became an expert handling the crossbow, Soklar the eldest son used a double edged axe as his weapon of choice, Roland never cared much for fighting and instead threw himself into his studies hoping to become the next Man-At-Arms and finally Leanne the youngest of the four (and the only one who inherited her mothers blue skin) trained with Gar priestesses learning the Gar secret martial arts and used a claw glove on her right hand to add to her own formidable abilities.

In keeping with family tradition, whenever one of the children reached the age of 21 their names were added to the family scroll, by now a long parchment that included famous poets, artists and warriors among its names. The ceremony was one the most important highlights in the life of a Boutiro clan member (marriage and parenthood being the others). Additionally all Boutiro family members who became warriors had a suit of armor inducted into the Hall of Warriors, which lay in the basement of the family castle. Each armor had its faceplate painted in the family colors: cyan blue on the upper part and crimson red on the lower. The armors for the brothers and sisters were designed and built by Roland, now an accomplished metal smith. Though he was not a warrior and had not served in battle, he was awarded the special honor of an armor in hall, because of his contributions in weapon making for the family and the royal guard as well. This gave him the unique quality of being the only member ever to design and build his own armor.

Young Roland however, cared little if at all for these family traditions which he deemed barbaric and, as he would openly say to his father that it was, "a feeble attempt to latch onto memories of a more ignorant time" Young Roland would spend hours in the family library trying to come up with new inventions, combing the best of Eternian and Gar alchemy and engineering. The weapons and suits of armors were born out of alchemy experiments. He was constanly trying to come up with new substances that would one day allow him to harness the raw powers of nature itself. Not magic, not brawn but the mind and brains would lead Eternia into the next century, he thought. When it came time to create his own suit of armor, as a joke he designed the breast plate in pure glass. His father berated him for this. He took the opportunity to try out one of his alchemy experiments. It was a new material that had the strength of iron but could turn transparent when casting the right incantation. This way he could fulfill his fathers wish of wearing the armor for the ceremony , but not having to look like a barbarian while doing it.

By the time he was 25 Eternia was engulfed by war. Keldor had attacked and the Boutiro family would not stand idly by. However Keldor was a shrewd and cunning tactician. He knew full well of the Boutiro family and longed for their collection of books. He sent 100 warriors to their palace with one mission: Retrieve the books and burn and kill everything else. To add insult to injury Keldor sent a Gar traitor named Tuvorg to lead the assault party; he and general Baddra were known as ruthless warrior tacticians who specialized in hand to hand combat. Their attack was swift and deadly. Within 3 hours most of the guards lay dead or maimed. The 20 guards had only been able to hold up that long because of Roland's special armors. The siblings and their parents were now cornered in the pantry. Jemina, Leanne and Soklar, true to their warrior spirits decided to go down fighting. Together they managed to cut the opposition down from the remaining 70 to 20. Tuvorg and Baddra had in the meantime merely observed, as they realized the children and Alcor were more then a match for their warriors , they decided to intervene, not wanting to explain their failure to Keldor. Showing how ruthless they were, they killed their own men, not wanting any interferences. Stunned by this turn of events Alcor let his guard down and was summarily cut down by the Gar. Soklar , enraged, charged towards Tuvorg only to be grabbed by Baddra’s giant hand. Crushing the young one’s skull with his bare hands was the final straw. The normally calm and cautious Leanne literally tried to ram her claw thru his chest, but only managed to break her hand with the Gar promptly impaling her while she lay on the floor. Baddra protected himself with a bronze shield from Jemina arrows and quickly ended the woman’s life. Roland was unable to move this whole time out of shear terror. He was ashamed of his cowardice, he couldn’t protect his family, his weapons weren’t deadly enough but he hoped at least his armor would protect him. The monsters punched him in the chest and removed his still beating heart, before he fell the last thing he remembers is a glimpse of his mother being murdered .And so ends the Boutiro family....palace destroyed, family killed, all memories of them forever stricken from the face of the planet.

Years later after the end of the war and with the legend of He-Man sweeping across the land, the royal archeologist decided to do his part by helping to restore the Kingdom’s history. Arriving at ruins of a castle, nobody remembered what had laid there before, it was farmland now, but a young man had discovered a staircase while digging the soil, preparing it for the next harvest. Melaktha trained eye told him in few instants that a big structure used to be there and wondered if Keldor was responsible. He wanders into the basement with Man-At-Arms. The light of the torches reveal a fire was responsible for the destruction. No paintings are left, no scrolls, nothing but dust and ash remained. "Looks like another dead end Duncan, another piece of history we will never recover," said Melaktha. Duncan silently continued walking, while Melaktha was used to dealing with the long dead, he felt sympathy and helplessness at the same time. "Why is it so easy to take a life, but impossible to bring it back?" As he wanders into the last room they find the metallic remains of dozens of armors. As they turn to leave something catches Man-At-Arms eye, a reflection maybe? Behind a column they find a suit of armor almost intact , it is rusted but complete, except for a missing right gaunlet. "Can you read the plaque under it?" asks Melakta . "Only a few letters Ro#### Bo#t##o...the rest has been scraped of or burned away" "That wont help at all sighs Melaktha, we need a name in order to try trace back the family it belonged to". They decide to take the armor back to the palace as a relic.

Back in the palace Man-At-Arms can’t stop staring at it...the fading blue and red colors of the face plate...the missing right arm. “Who were you?” he wonders. All that was left was the armor and 3 pages from a notebook detailing an apparatus designed to "catch lightning". As near as Man-At-Arms could tell, the lightning catcher was a mixture of alchemy and magic, so with the help of the Sorceress he build it. Man-At-Arms decided to honor the fallen warrior by placing the armor in his personal garden as a statue and builds and added the strange "lightning catching" device on his missing right hand. Late one night during a thunder storm, Man-At-Arms is out in the garden trying to retrieve some tools when lightning strikes the armor. The armor begins to crackle, Man-At-Arms’ compassion had awoken the dead and the spirit was drawn to the armor, not because of some misplaced affection it had for it, but because years ago....blood had trickled from the pantry down to the armor and disguised itself within the crimson faceplate. To Duncan’s amazement the armor came to life. "Where am I?....What happened to me?......Who am I?"

Duncan explained everything he knew, but the spirit wasn't not happy, he also was not sad or angry or impatinet...he simply didn’t’ feel anything at all "as though I had no heart..." he says.
    He knows he used to be a mortal, he had a family and they all died horribly, but nothing more. He asks his name, Duncan replies that only a few letter were visible R-o-B-o-t-o. “Then that shall be my name...for now.”

He thanked Man-At-Arms for his kindness, knowing that it was his compassion that allowed his spirit to return, that gave him life. "As far as I’m concerned you are my creator , you gave me this new opportunity". And thus a new ally was forged to help fight the forces of Skeletor , until he manages to sort out the mysteries of his own life....

Abilities:
    Roboto retains all of Roland’s genius level intellect and magical abilities.
    He repaints the faceplate, changing the blue part with the transparent alloy and adds blue cloths to his arms as homage to his mother’s heritage (unconsciously). He designs three weapons he can attach to the stump in his right hand armor a double barrel crossbow, a claw and a double axe (homage to his siblings, although this is all unconscious on his part as he doesn’t remember them).

Weakness:
    Roboto has no heart (Tuvorg and Baddra still have it) and thus can be convinced of almost everything as long as it is logical. While he doesn’t know it , if he were ever to regain his heart from Tuvorg and Baddra he would regain his memories and his ability to feel, at the same time allowing his wandering spirit to finally move on by remembering his families murderers and killing them.
    Last edited by morpheuzx; December 3, 2007 at 04:40am.

Co-Creator of the NV
    Morpheus, great job on Roboto. We're really impressed and downright astounded with the fact that you were able to bring Roboto into the NV, particularly with the fact that you found a sensible way to bring his name into it.

When I started reading this there were a number of things that I didn't like. The main thing being that there isn't any tech not because it's a major factor of making MOTU unique but because of a lot of characters depended on it for their origins.

As I read though the character bios, I really liked the new direction that you took the story and how you conpensated for not having technology. In many stories there is tech so advanced that it functions as magic, but here that there is magic so advanced that it substitutes for tech where there needs to be (such as triklops).

Onto the storyline, I really really liked what you did with skeletor making him a tragic hero of sorts. At first I was taken aback by the horde not having tech, but with your redefinition of the horde with hordak as the main evil in the series (with hints of something bigger behind him such as the magic book he found and he being able to leave despondos). The overall world history combining elements of MYP with original elements is something I really liked. The characters too were really expanded upon and given real life (with one or two big exceptions I will talk about at the end).

First, there is adam. Now I'm fine with his story of him being a lazy kid and he-man's general attitude as well. I also chuckled at Teela being a tsundere. But one thing about the original battle, what is adams big motivation for adam suddenly caring about going into battle. Judging from your description he would be content to let the soldiers do their job rather than do it himself. It seems that there should have been a deciding factor that made him go out there.

Again I'm fine with most of the characters generally. Everything I am not talking about here I really really liked. I want to stress that I really enjoyed the overall story. However I have to say about Orko, he was the only character from classic that was kept completely the same in MYP for good reason. If there is any one character that should be comedy relief should be Orko. Making him an angry character is something I can't really imagine for a creature as cute as Orko.

I really loved what you "did" with mekaneck and Loo-kee (LOL). That was great. But couldn't you have killed stinkor too? Or at least kept him with his original name. Now matter how well it fits his abilities, I just can't take the name stinkor seriously.

Here is my biggest problem. I can see that you really really really REALLY didn't want to include she-ra in this. Every word of her description read to me 'I hate this character. I hate this character.' It's not going to make you happy to add her and not going to make the fans who like her happy; in my honest opinion the story you have worked out works great without she-ra. And the addition seems like a tact on mean spirited joke that should just be dropped.

One last complaint is about He. First of all I can tell he looks exactly like Majin Buu and he seems out of place. His origin was lifted an episode of Justice League (which ironically did involve snakemen). And he just doesn't seem to fit in the MOTU world. He seems like more of a Dragonball Z character; he seems like he would fight Goku rather than He-man.

Once again I'm sorry that this post is mostly complaint, but it hard for me to come up with ways for me to say I really really love this story. When I first read the description I had doubts as whether it could be pulled off, but the changes you made fit very well to this new rendition to the MOTU world. And it sounds like an epic story with a great deal of potential. So overall I have to say it looks great and I would honestly watch a TV show of this. But just drop she-ra please.

EDIT: Having seen the SHe-ra fic in the topic now, i`m much less annoyed, but I don`t think Hordak should be killed so soon. I`d still rather she-ra not be in it at all, since the universe works so well on its own.
    Last edited by Luminak; December 2, 2007 at 12:31am.

(If anyone needs to e-mail me don't use the one on this site just use knight_of_circe@yahoo.com)

"I am Skeletor overlord of E-ville!"
    -Skeletor (MYP version...he definitely said E-ville)

http://khenmes.deviantart.com/

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by Luminak View Post
    When I started reading this there were a number of things that I didn't like. The main thing being that there isn't any tech not because it's a major factor of making MOTU unique but because of a lot of characters depended on it for their origins.

As I read though the character bios, I really liked the new direction that you took the story and how you conpensated for not having technology. In many stories there is tech so advanced that it functions as magic, but here that there is magic so advanced that it substitutes for tech where there needs to be (such as triklops).

Onto the storyline, I really really liked what you did with skeletor making him a tragic hero of sorts. At first I was taken aback by the horde not having tech, but with your redefinition of the horde with hordak as the main evil in the series (with hints of something bigger behind him such as the magic book he found and he being able to leave despondos). The overall world history combining elements of MYP with original elements is something I really liked. The characters too were really expanded upon and given real life (with one or two big exceptions I will talk about at the end).

First, there is adam. Now I'm fine with his story of him being a lazy kid and he-man's general attitude as well. I also chuckled at Teela being a tsundere. But one thing about the original battle, what is adams big motivation for adam suddenly caring about going into battle. Judging from your description he would be content to let the soldiers do their job rather than do it himself. It seems that there should have been a deciding factor that made him go out there.

Again I'm fine with most of the characters generally. Everything I am not talking about here I really really liked. I want to stress that I really enjoyed the overall story. However I have to say about Orko, he was the only character from classic that was kept completely the same in MYP for good reason. If there is any one character that should be comedy relief should be Orko. Making him an angry character is something I can't really imagine for a creature as cute as Orko.

I really loved what you "did" with mekaneck and Loo-kee (LOL). That was great. But couldn't you have killed stinkor too? Or at least kept him with his original name. Now matter how well it fits his abilities, I just can't take the name stinkor seriously.

Here is my biggest problem. I can see that you really really really REALLY didn't want to include she-ra in this. Every word of her description read to me 'I hate this character. I hate this character.' It's not going to make you happy to add her and not going to make the fans who like her happy; in my honest opinion the story you have worked out works great without she-ra. And the addition seems like a tact on mean spirited joke that should just be dropped.

One last complaint is about He. First of all I can tell he looks exactly like Majin Buu and he seems out of place. His origin was lifted an episode of Justice League (which ironically did involve snakemen). And he just doesn't seem to fit in the MOTU world. He seems like more of a Dragonball Z character; he seems like he would fight Goku rather than He-man.

Once again I'm sorry that this post is mostly complaint, but it hard for me to come up with ways for me to say I really really love this story. When I first read the description I had doubts as whether it could be pulled off, but the changes you made fit very well to this new rendition to the MOTU world. And it sounds like an epic story with a great deal of potential. So overall I have to say it looks great and I would honestly watch a TV show of this. But just drop she-ra please.

EDIT: Having seen the SHe-ra fic in the topic now, i`m much less annoyed, but I don`t think Hordak should be killed so soon. I`d still rather she-ra not be in it at all, since the universe works so well on its own.
    We killed Hordak?!?! lol, I am pretty sure it's a typo but it gave me a good laugh

I am glad you liked it overall. As for your specific character comments:

Skeletor -- I have to admit that I like the guy. I see a lot of potential in him, particularly his Keldor days, so a lot of the stuff involves Keldor in some way.

She-Ra -- You hit it on the head. We hate her with a passion. We brought her in in the most respectable way possible for us (you can't even imagine what we had considered doing to her... if you think this was bad, the other stuff would've given you a heart attack, haha). In the end, we wanted to make a compromise with her, which is how we came up with the short story. It gave her the power, respect and dignity that the POP fans love and it gave us the dead She-Ra that we love. It also served the very important purpose of bringing Hordak back to Eternia. So in the end, you got your wish and She-Ra has been dropped

Adam -- Good question. I honestly am not so sure why he wanted to get involved. Most of that part of the story was lifted from the first MYP story arc, which in itself was nearly identical to the Filmation series bible. My guess is that his whole life he figured that the fighting was done with, so why waste time bothering with it? When war started again and he was faced with the ugliness of it, it probably scared the hell out of him, causing him to change his priorities somewhat. Adam is lazy by nature, but he's not necessarily stupid.

Orko -- Well... We don't do comedic relief. As a matter of fact, I am outright against characters that exist for that purpose. I have no problem with comedy and in fact love it, but for this sort of thing I prefer situational comedy, not irritating characters. He actually nearly got a huge changed, based entirely on the bio idea written by Djurdevic (probably spelled that wrong).

As for Loo-Kee and Mekaneck... Mek was my favorite bio so far, lol. I just love how he came out.

When it comes to He, Wolf will have to answer that. I didn't have much to do with his creation so best to let Wolf talk about his psychotic little love child

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Morph, I wanted to applaud your great addition to the story. Very nice work. Hope to see more.

Just one think I caught was the typo of the royal archeologist's name. If you are speaking of the same person we're thinking of, it's Melaktha, you just forgot the 'h'. Unless you have a totally different person in mind?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

True HE does have a strong DBZ influence...I have said so many times. As for his origin...well it may seem similar to an episode of Justice League, but to be honest I barely watched it as I hate Bruce Timm's art style as well as the Justice League in general and as a matter of fact I haven't even seen the episode you mention so it is just a case of coincidence

As you say He does not fit into traditional MOTU, but this is the NEW VISION, which is not traditional so He does fit within it. Besides call it a compromise / fair deal. I agreed to add She-Ra even tho, as you rightfully point out, that neither me and darth like her (we hate her)...so because I gave the fans what they want...I'm keeping He within it.

Oh yeah and while He might have started similar to DBZ's Majin (Kid) Buu I like to think that the revisions have made him his own character. As for He being a child...well that was simply because I wanted to make him different, I felt that not everybody of great importance in the MOTU: NV universe needed to be some hugely muscular guy.

Co-Creator of the NV
    I only skimmed the He reference in Luminak's post when i read it, so I somehow completely overlooked the JL reference. I was just wondering which episode you're referring to, cuz i honestly can't recall it.

The justice league episode is called Eclipsed. Also I understand you hate she-ra with a passion, but it seems a little immature of what you guys did to her origin. Just because you don't like a character at all doesn't mean you should give them poor treatment (especially when it is a character who is pretty big and has a lot of powers like she-ra does).

I don't like he-man (I don't hate him but I do not like him) but if I had to write about him then I'd give him a large role and keep him as the type of character that many fans will enjoy. All in all just take out she-ra especially since you seem to not be up to making a good origin for her (since you don't intend to take the character seriously). I'm sorry if this is a little harsh, but it took me off guard, but didn't you say when I commented on Orko, that you hated comedy relief?

(If anyone needs to e-mail me don't use the one on this site just use knight_of_circe@yahoo.com)

Co-Creator of the NV
    The justice league episode is called Eclipsed. Also I understand you hate she-ra with a passion, but it seems a little immature of what you guys did to her origin. Just because you don't like a character at all doesn't mean you should give them poor treatment (especially when it is a character who is pretty big and has a lot of powers like she-ra does).

I don't like he-man (I don't hate him but I do not like him) but if I had to write about him then I'd give him a large role and keep him as the type of character that many fans will enjoy. All in all just take out she-ra especially since you seem to not be up to making a good origin for her (since you don't intend to take the character seriously). I'm sorry if this is a little harsh, but it took me off guard, but didn't you say when I commented on Orko, that you hated comedy relief?
    Eclipsed.... hmm.... gotta watch that ep sometimes (big JL fan but don't remember the show).

Did you read the She-Ra Revisited story? Just wondering.

But basically, we treat characters with the respect we feel they deserve. In the case of Mekaneck he got basically what I felt he deserved. In the case of She-Ra, we actually seriously toned down what we wanted to do and simply made her a clutz. We asked people if they wanted her in the NV *we had a poll in another thread* and the response was overwhelmingly yes. We never said we'd be terribly nice to her, but in the end we actually gave her the best origin we could stomach. Compared to the things we originally had in mind, that origin was pure gold, an utter blessing to the character.

She's not going to be a form of comic relief. The bio we wrote for her was mainly to amuse ourselves with, which it did, although not as much as the aforementioned earlier drafts. But since she'll never show up again, unless we do some sort of little story about her time training with Light Hope (which is a possibility), she'll never be part of it again. If that story were to be written, she wouldn't be comic relief then either since her skills and whatnot were enhanced in Revisited and the story would take place within Revisited's framework.

As for taking her out... well she's part of the NV now and forever at this point. Within the NV her origin and existence is canon. We compromised when doing Revisited and gave her some power, respect and dignity, but at the end we also killed her. And yes, she really is very dead. Adora/She-Ra will never show up in the NV ever again. So in the end, those who don't like her origin can simply ignore it since her story is done. As for Revisited, her role in that is important and will form the basis from later stories, even if she is not in them, but she was with a lot of respect and dignity in it.

Why isn't the story more maliable? I don't understand 'ok now that this has been written we can't change it.' I don't get why this is such a firm point.

The poll was kind of deceptive on your part; especially judging on what you just said. I'm sure that the people who voted for she-ra to be included did not know that she was going to be used like that; I bet if you had put that description up at the poll the response would have been quite different. It is sort of like saying if I were to do a story about she-ra and reduce he-man's role to a stupid muscular oaf who may get important at one point, but killed of quickly.
    Last edited by Luminak; December 2, 2007 at 08:10pm.

Co-Creator of the NV
    Why isn't the story more maliable? I don't understand 'ok now that this has been written we can't change it.' I don't get why this is such a firm point.

The poll was kind of deceptive on your part; especially judging on what you just said. I'm sure that the people who voted for she-ra to be included did not know that she was going to be used like that; I bet if you had put that description up at the poll the response would have been quite different. It is sort of like saying if I were to do a story about she-ra and reduce he-man's role to a stupid muscular oaf who may get important at one point, but killed of quickly.
    Well... we asked if people wanted her in it. They said yes. We never promised anything on our part about it and after the Mekaneck story, I can't understand how the results would surprise them. Truthfully, they probably

Finally, yes, anything can be changed in theory. However, for the most part we won't ever change things, because it opens the door up to others wanting things changed, as well as having to change things retroactively in other stories. In the case of She-Ra, it would mean changing Revisited, which is simply not an option because too much work went into it and it served a specific purpose for us. In the end, the only stories that will ever get changed are the ones we don't like (or perhaps are just too inconvenient to work with) and in this case we both loved the story/bio.

Co-Creator of the NV
    Been a little while since Wolf and I posted new stuff in this thread. We'll likely be off for a few more days, but here's a little BTS segment that I was going to post pretty soon, which seems rather appropiate now given the last few posts of the thread.

Behind the Scenes

Part 5 – She-Ra and Etheria

A lot of people have said that they don’t see what the point of Etheria and Hordak is without She-Ra. The view that Wolf and I share is that we took the good aspects of it and removed the bad. Since we both loathe She-Ra, she was the first thing to go.

There was never any question to us that She-Ra would not have any connection to He-Man or Grayskull. There was also no chance of her being anywhere near the power of He-Man. He-Man is the most powerful hero in our world and that will not change, nor will we have a person tying his power level either.

There was never actually any possibly of including She-Ra in a pivotal role. We hated her far too much for that. We tossed around a lot of ideas before settling on the bio we did, and believe it or not, they were a lot less respectable and pretty horrific at times. In the end, we went with a method that while embarrassing to her, left her with a heart of gold and a truly heroic and brave spirit. We felt that it was a fairly good compromise between what our natural inclinations were and what people would want.

Seeing that a lot of people were less than thrilled with our portrayal of She-Ra, we then decided to make a further compromise. In essence, we were willing to return the self-respect, dignity and power that we had taken away from her. However, what Wolf and I got out of it was the permanent removal of her from our version of MOTU. At the time of writing this, I have yet to post the story but I hope it was well received. I think it was a fairly good compromise in the end.

The next step that came was choosing the members of the rebellion, which will be the topic of the next behind the scenes segment.

Because I haven't seen any comments on it yet... I wanted to say that I really liked Stridor's bio. Very nicely done!

Same for Roboto, clever substitution of magic for tech!

~Kevona

Roboto

Thanls to everyone who liked the Roboto entry. I actually thought I overdid it, but I guess ir worked out in the end

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    Morph, I wanted to applaud your great addition to the story. Very nice work. Hope to see more.

Just one think I caught was the typo of the royal archeologist's name. If you are speaking of the same person we're thinking of, it's Melaktha, you just forgot the 'h'. Unless you have a totally different person in mind?
    I didnt know there was an 'h', it's been corrected. Thanks for catching that one.

I would just like to thank the_robin for his wonderful Strider bio as well as morpheuzx for his cool Roboto one. It is great how they managed to fit both these characters into the New Vision while still keeping the essence of the character.

Movie mayhem!
    Wow Roboto made it! Amazing... didn't see that coming. Good job working him in though. :-)

Geeez, first, I have computer problems, then, a ice storm knocks out my power in til Christmas day, and I thought at least 3 more pages of the NV would be up by the time I got back. Never thought there would be none.

KevonaTF-thank you, glade someone liked it.

Movie mayhem!
    I've been working on a character, but its been slow as i've been so busy. Hopefuly when I get home from my trip I'll be able to post it.

Sorry for the delay and hopefully DL has something to post but to be honest my hiatus (which was to cover the xmas holidays) will have to be extended because my beloved pet Rat Archimedes has recently passed away and to be brutally honest I am in no mood to do anything with this...just for a short while and then I will be right back into it.

But yeah...far too upset to care about this for the time being

Nice take on roboto! I wondered how you were gonna pull that one off.
    He weeps, for he has but one small tongue, with which to taste an entire world!

Lots of original custom t-shirts and stickers available @ http://www.redbubble.com/people/mightyrain
    Many designs based on Masters of the Universe, Classic video games and random movies/cartoons/movies we all know and love.