Thread: Can someone please enlighten me?

Can someone please enlighten me?

Hi,
    I don't hang around in the new Masters arena much-mainly just a vintage guy. I was wondering if someone could please briefly describe the evolution of the Masters of the Universe characters since the originals. I'm mainly interested in learning about the evolution of the U.S. releases. I know first came New Adventures, then came a new line in like 2000 (?) along with commemorative figures. After this point I'm pretty lost. I know that there were mini statues and NECA statues and stuff done my the Four Horseman but I don't know the progression of when these figures came out. I don't think that I will ever try and have a complete set of Masters figures from all these different releases but I am interested in having a set of He-Man and Skeletor figures that represent the progression of the Masters line through all these periods. That way I can display this progression along with my vintage figures in the same display case. If you could please include limited figures that were released at comic conventions, toy shows ect. that would be awesome. Again, I'm primarily interested in He-Man and Skeletor figures. Thanks to whoever decides to tackle this daunting task....

Pretty much all of the info you seek can be found on the main page. You just need to do a little homework.

Heroic Warrior
    Generally speaking figures followed this progression...

Masters of the Universe
    POP
    New Adventures
    Commemorative Releases (just a handful of figures)
    Masters of the Universe 200x
    Stactions

Statues and busts, for the most part came into play after the 200x line had started, with the exception of a comic con statue of he-man that was available prior to the launch of the 200x line.

So this means for He-man, the progression would be:

He-man (original)
    Battle Armor He-man
    Thunder Punch He-man
    Flying Fists He-man
    Laser Power He-man
    NA He-man
    NA Battle Punching He-man
    NA Thunder Punch He-man
    Commemorative He-man
    Commemorative Battle Armor He-man
    He-man Statue (SDCC Exclusive)
    He-man
    Battle Sound He-man (Silver, Voice 1)
    Battle Sound He-man (Silver, Voice 2)
    Battle Sound He-man (Gold, Voice 1)
    Battle Sound He-man (Gold, Voice 2)
    He-man mini figure
    Jungle Attack He-man
    Jungle Attack He-man mini figure
    SDCC He-man exclusive
    Smash Blade He-man
    Samurai He-man
    Martial Arts He-man
    Wolf Armor He-man
    Ice Armor He-man
    Mega-Punch He-man
    Shield Strike He-man
    Battle Armor He-man
    Rotocast He-man
    Snake Hunter He-man
    Snake Armor He-man
    Stealth Armor He-man (just a card difference, really the same figure as shield strike)
    (not sure where this fits in there) He-man Bust
    He-man Bust AP
    He-man statue
    He-man statue AP
    He-man Staction (Classic Colors, summer convention exclusive)
    Battle Armor He-man Staction

somewhere in there i am sure there was a mini-bust too, just not sure chronologically where... (need to go through my busts sometime).

I'm too lazy to go through Skeletor now, but it's fairly consistant... there is usually a corresponding Skeletor for most He-man figures...

Ash, thank so much for all your help! Unfortunately Iím still a little confused. Iím mainly concerned with figuring out the chronological order of what ORIGINAL He-Man and Skeletor figures have been released. So there was an He-Man SDCC exclusive that was released before the 200X figure? How many SDCC exclusives have been released? I know there was a mini statue in 2007, is that included in this list? What does AP mean?
    The stactions are mini-statues right? Has there been one released of original He-Man? Wow, I have a lot of questions. Iíve been trying to figure some of this stuff out between eBay and he-man.org but itís just a little confusing. So far, this is the list of the original He-man releases from your list:

He-man original
    NA He-man
    Commemorative he-man
    He-Man statue (SDCC Exlclusive)
    He-Man 200X
    He-Man mini figure
    SCCC He-Man exclusive
    He-man Bust
    He-Man bust AP
    He-Man statue
    He-Man statue AP
    He-Man Staction (Classic Colors, summer convention exclusive)

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev-Or View Post
    Ash, thank so much for all your help! Unfortunately I’m still a little confused. I’m mainly concerned with figuring out the chronological order of what ORIGINAL He-Man and Skeletor figures have been released.
    Ah, much easier if you exclude variants

So there was an He-Man SDCC exclusive that was released before the 200X figure?
    Prior to the 200x figures, there was a convention exclusive statue, but no figures

How many SDCC exclusives have been released?
    This is more than you probably want to know, but I'm fairly certain this is the list of exclusives for the entire 200x line

2001 SDCC He-man Statue (250 were made?)
    2002 SDCC He-man Figure (special paint apps) (1000 were made?)
    2002 Toyfare Faker
    2003 SDCC/WW Keldor (later available as a special exclusive through German retailers as well)
    2004 SDCC/WW She-Ra
    2005 SDCC/WW Randor (staction)
    2006 SDCC/WW Evil-Lyn (staction)
    2006 SDCC/WW Mini-Bust three pack
    2006 AFX Sorceress (Classic Colors)
    2007 SDCC He-man (classic color staction)
    2007 AFX Randor (Classic Colors)
    200? AFX Faker/Khan (announced, not available yet to order)

I know there was a mini statue in 2007, is that included in this list?
    Yes the "mini statue" and "staction" are the same thing

What does AP mean?
    AP means Artist Proof. For the most part an artist proof is the exact same as the regular except there may be something special about it. For example, the AP He-man Bust had (if I recall correctly) a slightly different color sword. APs are usually produced in much lower quantity than the standard edition.

The stactions are mini-statues right?
    yes

Has there been one released of original He-Man?
    Sort of. The SDCC Exclusive this year (also available on the NECA site and many others) is the "original" He-man from the 200x with the colors of the classic (1980s) He-man

Wow, I have a lot of questions. I’ve been trying to figure some of this stuff out between eBay and he-man.org but it’s just a little confusing. So far, this is the list of the original He-man releases from your list:

He-man original
    NA He-man
    Commemorative he-man
    He-Man statue (SDCC Exlclusive)
    He-Man 200X
    He-Man mini figure
    SCCC He-Man exclusive
    He-man Bust
    He-Man bust AP
    He-Man statue
    He-Man statue AP
    He-Man Staction (Classic Colors, summer convention exclusive)
    That would be it.

The non-variant Skeletor list would be similar

Skeletor Original
    NA Skeletor
    Skeletor 200x
    Skeletor mini figure
    Skeletor Statue
    Skeletor Statue AP (difference here is mainly the color of a gem)

There is a Skeletor bust up for pre-order, but it (to my knowledge) has not been released yet

EDIT: Oh yeah, there was also McDonald's Happy Meal Toys in the US for the 200x line...
    Last edited by ash; November 9, 2007 at 08:26pm.