View Poll Results: Was keeping Adam, as He-Man's secret identity, a good idea?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it added depth to the show.

3 21.43%
  • No, it was an unnecessary inclusion.

9 64.29%
  • Other... (explain)

2 14.29%

Thread: Was keeping Adam, as He-Man's secret identity, a good idea?

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!

Was keeping Adam, as He-Man's secret identity, a good idea?

There are many differences between the comic and cartoon versions of New Adventures, the least of which was the cartoon keeping Adam as He-Man's secret identity.

Many will argue that it was the Prince Adam character that ruined the Filmation version of MOTU because it deviated so much from the original concept that was introduced in the Mini-Comics. I, for one, openly admit that I love the Prince Adam aspect of the Filmation show, both as a great plot device and as a more relatable character to the target audience at the time.

When New Adventures debuted on television, I was certain that the Adam character would be written out of the show after the first episode. My reasoning was that if both Skeletor and He-Man travel to the Tri-Solar System together and then, out of the blue, Adam shows up too - well, even Skeletor could figure this one out, right?? Wrong. To my (pleasant) surprise, Adam became a regular character on the show and kept his true identity a secret from everyone but Master Sebrian.

So, was keeping Adam, as He-Man's secret identity, a good idea for the New Adventures cartoon?

Discuss your answers below!
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Yes, I think it was a good idea. I love the show, it's the He-Man I grew up with, but it strayed so far from the Filmation cartoon, it almost didnt need He-Man. Without BattleCat, Man-At-Arms etc. etc. The New Adventures of He-Man really needed all the winks,nods and links to the original Adventures it could keep; stuff like Starship Eternia, By the Power of Eternia, Teela's cameo, the Sorceress and they even named him Adam of Grayskull. Without Adam the show would be even less He-Man-ie.
    Last edited by ThunDerian; April 6, 2015 at 07:54am.
    Justice, Truth, Honor and Loyalty!

Visit my website for handmade Scenery, Statues & More! CUSTOMSCENERY.NL

Yes! We need Adam!

The transformation from Adam to He-Man is important for a couple of reasons. From a production point of view it is a symbol of growing up, of empowerment for all the little boys who watch the cartoon and feel like they are too little to do stuff. This was an important and often overlooked aspect of the cartoon. The transformation means that you don't need a hero to save the world, you can become a hero regardless of how weak you think you are.

From an in-universe point of view, transformation is important because it keeps He-Man grounded. He-Man still lives most of his life as Prince Adam. On Eternia he was training to be a king, on Primus he lives as an apprentice. These experiences help him avoid the pitfalls and corruption of the immense power he would have if he turned He-Man full time.

Part of the Adam/HeMan fun was the impressive mind blowing transformation sequence that just about every kiddie waited with glee when they watched the vintage show .

Not surprisingly there was nothing of that sort in New Adventures . They may as well have kept blue jeans HeMan as a constant . Yes Adam kept him grounded and he only became HeMan when he needed to fight or rescue someone . The story arcs they could have done from HeMan exploring himself in non combat situations would have made great entertainment . He would have to learn even more self control then ever .

It could have explained his change of clothing and ponytail and different sword . Master Sebrian could have given him that new funny sword which might be powerful but could not be used to revert to Adam .

I remember one vintage MOTU episode where HeMan thought he lost his sword to a bottomless chasm and a gloomy crestfallen Heroic warrior , contemplates life without Adam . He did not like this idea . NA could have been an opportunity for He Man to live his nightmare .
    MOTU and POP transformed my childhood years to gold

Master of New Adventures!
    I believe it was a major mistake to keep Adam in NA. Once Skeletor saw him he should have easily put it together that Adam and He-man were one and the same. Skeletor is evil; not stupid. Even if it didn't matter of Primus, it could have far reaching effects and ramifications if and when they both returned to Eternia.

Honestly, I didn't think it made much sense for that show. SOOO much was different that there wasn't any point in keeping a secret identity. They could have explored his life as He-Man, giving a different perspective than the last show.

I'm not a fan of the Prince Adam thing, but it was cool to see the random episodes where he had to deal with being the ideal hero while keeping up this bumbling fašade. That was the Filmation cartoon, though. For NA, he's this great hero they brought from the past, and (at least, in the minicomics) he undergoes a transformation in the process. Before, it was living a double life, in NA, it should have been living UP to his second life now being his only life. He can't just put it away anymore.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Master of New Adventures!
    Well as I said, my concern with the Adam issue is what would happen when he and Skeletor returned to Eternia which, as those who have heard the Masterscast interview with me know, was my plan had there been a Season 2 of NA. In retrospect what I think I should have done was either eliminate Adam altogether or, if we wanted to keep the transformation and have him maintain a secret identity, alter Adam's look so he was not recognizable as being Adam. Hindsight is, of course, usually 20/20, but this certainly was an oversight on my part.

But the
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    Honestly, I didn't think it made much sense for that show. SOOO much was different that there wasn't any point in keeping a secret identity. They could have explored his life as He-Man, giving a different perspective than the last show.

I'm not a fan of the Prince Adam thing, but it was cool to see the random episodes where he had to deal with being the ideal hero while keeping up this bumbling fašade. That was the Filmation cartoon, though. For NA, he's this great hero they brought from the past, and (at least, in the minicomics) he undergoes a transformation in the process. Before, it was living a double life, in NA, it should have been living UP to his second life now being his only life. He can't just put it away anymore.

I think changing Adam's look would have been nice to have been done at the beginning, maybe gone for red hair, green eyes and definitely 'no' to the two pig-tails on the side of his bonce!

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    I'm a big fan of the show and the U.K. Comics - They both have their benefits and they're both incredible in their own way.

With that said, I voted "other" because I really can't see Adam disappearing forever. However, I would have liked He-Man's alter-ego to have limited use throughout the New Adventures run. That is, I would like the Adam identity to be used for certain episodes where He-Man couldn't, such as walking/blending in on the mean streets of Denebria, running a covert errand to Leviton, or spying/gathering information on the mutants, etc.

I will always be a big fan of Adam, and I was surprised and happy to see him return for NA - especially after reading the NA mini-comics where Adam exposes himself as He-Man right in front of Skeletor!
    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!