View Poll Results: Which version of mythos should be used for a new movie?

Voters
168. You may not vote on this poll
  • Early mini-comics

42 25.00%
  • Filmation

37 22.02%
  • Later mini-comics

8 4.76%
  • New Adventures

0 0%
  • 200x revamp

59 35.12%
  • Something totally new

22 13.10%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which 'version' of MOTU would you like to see used?

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

Which 'version' of MOTU would you like to see used?

As we all know, the MOTU mythos vary quite drastically between different media. Which 'version' do you think should be used in a new movie?
    Yes they can pick and choose, and take the best elements from each, but which should be the "main" starting ground?

• Early mini-comics - pre-Prince Adam, the 'barbarinan' version, with touches of Greek, Roman and Medival.
    • Filmation - the vintage cartoon series
    • Later mini-comics still their own entity, but also patching up the differences between early and Filmation (also includes Star / Marvel comics, etc.)
    • New Adventures - well, I had to include it just to be fair!
    • 200x revamp - the revamped style new line and Mike Young Productions cartoon series
    • Something totally new

Note that I don't mean how should it be made (ie. 'Filmation' doesn't necessarily mean it'll be a cartoon), but which version of the mythos to use.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Widget
    I'd say MYP should be the "main" starting ground, but that it should definitely have a lot of differences too.

I wouldn't want them to exist in the same continuity or anything like that. Perish the thought.

The Demon of Screamin' JonnyTyler's Avatar
    Early mini-comics all the way. The original 4 are by far the best, and then the 2nd series comics are also pretty good. After that, they really got corny, and hoaky. Too Filmation-y for my taste. But I know alot of people love Filmation, I dont not like it, but I think it really isnt true to what Masters of the Universe started out to be. Some of it is actually good, but nothing as cool as the original mini-comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post
    As we all know, the MOTU mythos vary quite drastically between different media. Which 'version' do you think should be used in a new movie?
    Yes they can pick and choose, and take the best elements from each, but which should be the "main" starting ground?

• Early mini-comics - pre-Prince Adam, the 'barbarinan' version, with touches of Greek, Roman and Medival.
    • Filmation - the vintage cartoon series
    • Later mini-comics still their own entity, but also patching up the differences between early and Filmation (also includes Star / Marvel comics, etc.)
    • New Adventures - well, I had to include it just to be fair!
    • 200x revamp - the revamped style new line and Mike Young Productions cartoon series
    • Something totally new

Note that I don't mean how should it be made (ie. 'Filmation' doesn't necessarily mean it'll be a cartoon), but which version of the mythos to use.
    For me I would want to take components of each and every significant era/ continuity in the "MotU" property's history. I think that each verison has it strengths.

Take Care,
    Darren
    Last edited by Fisto; September 17, 2008 at 08:25am.
    Mattel please, buy the He-Man and She-Ra cartoons from Entertainment Rights. If you owned Both Filmation related "MotU" cartoons, plus "NA" and "MYP" cartoons, you would be able to distribute any or all 4 cartoons to Television in the lead up to another relaunch or a live action movie. Plus, you could include Filmation and "NA" animated characters in "MotU:C"!

Long Live 'MOTU'!

Co-Creator of the NV
    Truthfully, I would prefer a version that is basically the same as the New Vision version I have created with Wolf, but that's obviously not an option at all, so I went with the MYP version with is the only good version out there (admittedly the early mini-comics were well written, but I don't like the basic storyline much).

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    I think I'd like to see something based in the early mini-comics, but maybe incorporating other elements that people liked from other versions. I'm not so sure I like the whole Prince Adam/transformation thing, but there were a lot of elements of Filmation that were all right. MYP did a lot of cool stuff with it too, especially in terms of giving an origin story to Skeletor.

I could even see He-Man as a magically-imbued Prince Adam, but I don't necessarily want him to have to change back and forth. In my view, Prince Adam would get beefed up into "the He-Man" to save the kingdom, and then stay that way. That would save on trying to get two actors who could play the part and the CGI that everybody seems to hate as well.

Perhaps he transforms once, at a dramatic point like being hunted by Beast Man or something. Just when BM thinks he has got Adam, he stumbles on a cave and the He-Man regalia. Powered up by the Ancient magic, he turns around and beats the snot out of old Beasty, then goes after his master. That would at least give them a chance to use the old "By the Power of Grayskull" at least once.
    Last edited by Dave-Man; November 10, 2007 at 08:05am.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Don't let worry kill you, let the Church help"

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who would like to see it based in the early mini-comics. They, for me, are far the best of any MOTU version. Particularly with regard to Prince Adam not transforming back-and-forth.

I'm not sure if I'd like to see it 200x based. I'd like it in regards of the continuity and detail, but they also lost a lot of important elements - they gave He-Man himself a really weak (IMO) origin, and most importantly, Castle Grayskull just didn't see as magical and powerful and ancient as it should have done.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

I voted for early Mini-Comics, but i want a mix between early Mini-Comics and 200x.

Story: mix between early Mini-Comics and 200x

Character Designs: mix between early Mini-Comics and 200x

Character-Storys: mix between early Mini-Comics and 200x

Builidngs: 200x

Landscapes: 200x

Vehicles: mix between classic and 200x
    Last edited by Matt XIC; November 10, 2007 at 12:34pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt XIC View Post
    I voted for early Mini-Comics, but i want a mix between early Mini-Comics and 200x.

Story: mix between early Mini-Comics and 200x

Character Designs: mix between early Mini-Comics and 200x

Character-Storys: mix between early Mini-Comics and 200x

Builidngs: 200x

Landscapes: 200x

Vehicles: mix between classic and 200x
    I'd actually quite like to see the buildings and landscapes Filmation-inspired. For all they get knocked about cheap animation, their background and building designs were at times truly impressive.
    I'd much rather a Filmation-style Castle Grayskull to the flat an slightly dull 200x one.
    ~jay firestorm~

This is easy for me: the first mini-comics. I've always said that the very first one could basically be used as a story board for the movie. It'd be perfect!
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

I like the 2nd series DC stuff best myself.

Mixture between Filmation and MYP (I liked Skeletor's origin in MYP ... and that's about it.)

Defender of the Elders Red Trinity's Avatar
    I LOVED the later minicomics. They took all the wonderful things established by Filmation and not only added darkness and mystery, but CONTINUITY and history.

Obviously a BIG Filmation fan.

I'd look to Filmation as the main source of inspiration, but I'd want to see the writers feel free to change it in tone, or focus or in the details...however they see fit. So long as the movie is good, and represents the spirit and overall feel of the Filmation show, I'll be happy.

I'm Anime Hyper-Detailed Battle_Brak's Avatar
    I'd say for storyline take a little from everything, but the priority for what to look at for inspiration I'd say

1. 200x Comics: I consider these to be the definitive MOTU canon so far

2. Early Mini-Comics: So many cool ideas that didn't get adopted into "mainstream" canon

3. MYP: The storylines in MYP were pretty good, but never as mature as the modern comics or as fascinating as the mini-comics.

4. Filmation: Pretty much everything that was great about Filmation regarding story was revisited in the 200x series and improved immensely

Don't look at NA... you'll go blind. Actually I don't mind NA, but it really sets itself apart as a different property than MOTU.
    Check out my various dinosaur sculptures: http://he-man.org/forums/boards/show...re-in-progress

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    I'd say go with something all new, that feels really fresh, that would make a lot of sense. But then I'm a big MYP-fan, and I really feel that canon used a lot of the old stuff in great new ways, so I kind of voted MYP.

So in reality, something new but influenced by MYP is probably what's best.

I'm quite surprised the early mini-comics got so many votes tho? Since, as far as I can see, with all due respect of course, those fans are actually in miniority on this board?

Combine Early mini-comics, Filmation and MYP to come up with something new. take the BEST ideas from those three (and throw in a few other things too) but to me THAT would make the best movie.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    200x revamp - the revamped style new line and Mike Young Productions cartoon series.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Trinity View Post
    I LOVED the later minicomics. They took all the wonderful things established by Filmation and not only added darkness and mystery, but CONTINUITY and history.
    Oh I agree! Even though I still stand by my earlier post in this thread regarding taking elements from every single incarnation of "MotU", I do also think there is a lot in terms of look tone and continuity that is worth taking from the later mini comics. For example, I love the idea that Hordak was once fighting along side the elders and that his magic helped build the Towers of Eternia.

Take Care,
    Darren
    Mattel please, buy the He-Man and She-Ra cartoons from Entertainment Rights. If you owned Both Filmation related "MotU" cartoons, plus "NA" and "MYP" cartoons, you would be able to distribute any or all 4 cartoons to Television in the lead up to another relaunch or a live action movie. Plus, you could include Filmation and "NA" animated characters in "MotU:C"!

Long Live 'MOTU'!

Defender of the Elders Red Trinity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fisto View Post
    For example, I love the idea that Hordak was once fighting along side the elders and that his magic helped build the Towers of Eternia.
    Me too. It's one of my favorite little mysteries they showed in the mini comics.

I'm one of the few who voted for the later mini-comics and I'll be more specific with the Point Dread book and record set along with the DC three-parter. Also, I'm fond of the Golden Book videos and the books that inspired them.

With that said, I wouldn't be opposed to an MYP-styled movie. Either one of the choices I've mentioned has basis for good continuity and engaging material not only for the fans, but for the casual moviegoer.

Peace.
    I make my own MOTU video game stuff. Check it out.

dA - wallbie.deviantart.com
    YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/wallbieswarriors
    Daily Motion - http://www.dailymotion.com/wallbie#video=x14o6e4

Heroic Warrior
    CLEARLY, the MYP series would best be used as a basic outline for a movie and what you could do with three movies maybe if the first one is successful.

However of course you can tweak it, mix and match, and what not. Also definitely make it a little edgier and a tad more mature. Not saying to make it dark, dirty, bloody, and gritty but you know people can die, get cut, etc.
    "This is true. This is real. This . . . is . . . STRAIGHT EDGE."

-CM Punk

My favorite MASTERS versions are the box arts, DC Mini Comics and the Mini Comic storys by BRUCE W. TIMM.

A combination would be fine!!

Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    stylisticallyIt needs to have the scope, grandeur and beauty of Filmation's background paintings but also capture the foreboding Frazetta inspired mystique of the early box art and first few mini comics. Eternia needs to impress upon us an all encompassing sense of wonder that makes Niagara falls, the Great Pyramids and Grand Canyon look like a child's' finger painting by comparison. The music must stay in our heads like filmation's catchy toons but be augmented with the most epic and inspiring score we have heard.

The Story needs strong character driven plot lines like MYP had at times but also needs to focus on the family bonds like filmation did so well. This time we really need something NEW, those bonds have to be tested so we know they are true! We need to be able to understand who these people are and why they do the heroic or twisted things that they do. Above all this it needs the strength that comes from the Mythology of Filmation, the later mini comics and MYP. Only the best of the best as it's filtered and made into a stronger continuity.

This movie needs to have;

An epic score that would make John Williams say "wow"

A visual style that would make Zack Snyder jealous and proud

A plot that could be written better then Scorsese could ever dream

Action packed excitement and adventure that would put Spielberg and Lucas to shame.

Actors that have us questioning if this could somehow all be real!

The people who develop this need to be the most talented people in all creation, and it should be the best film anyone has ever seen.
    Isn't it is titled MASTER OF THE UNIVERSE after all?
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).