View Poll Results: Which cover is your favorite?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cover #1

12 16.90%
  • Cover #2

8 11.27%
  • Cover #3

9 12.68%
  • Cover #4

4 5.63%
  • Cover #5

18 25.35%
  • Cover #6

13 18.31%
  • Cover #7

4 5.63%
  • Cover #8

3 4.23%
  • Cover #9

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The unofficial cartoon guide to He-Man - ALTERNATE cover! :)

The unofficial cartoon guide to He-Man - ALTERNATE cover! :)

As some of you will no doubt be aware The unofficial cartoon guide to He-Man and the Masters of the Universe will be reprinted within the next month or so!

However, what some of you may not know is that it will have an ALTERNATE cover - Check out the nine covers below (each one numbered)...

PLEASE vote and let me know which cover you think is the best!

* If you've already voted via my Facebook page or my Facebook fan page then please don't vote again *

No matter which wins, now I'm gonna have to get the alternate cover one as well :P They´re all great!

Okay, I'm torn here...because some of the covers stick closer to the effects used in the Filmation shows (and that means they're true to the source material), but others are variations on the Filmation effects and are more eye-catching at first glance. Specifically, Cover 3 looks tremendous, even though it uses reds and a more firery color palette. Covers 1, 2 and 5 are more true to the Filmation special effects...

At the end of the day, I think I'd go with Cover 3 and definitely stay away from the covers with the darker backgrounds, as He-Man gets lost in them...

EDIT: Whoops said Cover 4 and meant Cover 3. Fixed it!
    Last edited by DisneyBoy; April 18, 2012 at 03:22pm.

DEF love the #1 cover more!

Heroic Warrior
    James, when's the She-Ra guide coming out? I voted for cover five.
    Successful transactions with PaulJustice, bobshumway, ThunderPuncher, SonofKeldor, Eterniandreams, Xavion, darksword, dr phiz, Epizo1, Shankor, Shecky, He-Dad, Phil.Pastel, Baddwarff, sublimesting, richalot, He-Man54, anytimepally, Mysterio, Umbloo, Lich Leech, GFunny, greenstar1981, crimsondragon, Man-E-MoodZ, yakkotank, Jaakub, Is-rael, dzathamza, jesstertwo, yodafreakmaster, and stratosfear.

Now I would LOVE to see a matching She-Ra Guidebook like this He-Man one!!!

Voted Cover #1
    Even I own already copy of your book, James. Good work. I might buy book again to give it someone.

I think number one looks the coolest.

Evil & armed for combat TJRules's Avatar
    Voted number 5. Though I like number one just as well.
    Support Green Mini-Comic Trap Jaw in MOTUC!

Land Shark in MOTUC!!!!!! Do it Mattel!!! Do it NOW!!!!

Support The Power & Honor Foundation

Power-Con/ThunderCon... now going green with TMNT!

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    All very good. #4 is striking but does look a little too "Sun Sword"-ish for a front cover supposed to be selling He-Man
    #6 or #5 rank over #1 IMO, as #1 is a bit too "busy".
    #8 and #9 are really cool - #8 with the moody clouds looks kinda eerie ... am I allowed to pretend that's actually Faker up there instead of He-Man? (actually, a Faker variant cover! Now I'd be the second edition just for that cover alone!!)

Anyway, I voted for the one that I'm amazed hasn't had any votes as of yet, #7 - much due to it conjuring up thoughts of 'that scene', in "The Problem with Power", often regaded as Filmation MOTU's finest hour (well, half hour... well, 22 minutes!)

There, did I disect that in enough trivial detail?!
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Busta Toons View Post
    However, what some of you may not know is that it will have an ALTERNATE cover - Check out the nine covers below (each one numbered)...

PLEASE vote and let me know which cover you think is the best!
    Pffft... the best cover was the original one, which was PERFECT. Why try to fix what's NOT broken? That display-of-power "look at my muscles, I can crush my enemies" arrogant/menacing pose looks much more fitting with ignoble power-hungry Skeletor getting hold of the Power Sword than with noble He-Man.

I don't yet own a copy of this book (I wasn't around at the time) and was all intent on buying the reprint. But if it finally sports any of these new travesty covers, I think I'll seriously consider hunting down a copy of the original print instead.

Leave the cover art as it was, it needs no fixing at all.

I voted for number 6....looking forward to the book!

Voted for number 5. I think they all look cool though - it was a tough decision!
    My sell/trade list - vintage 80's toys - adding stuff all the time! http://www.blujay.com/beastor

My feedback thread. http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=202525

My want list http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...70#post2849070

I don't yet own a copy of this book (I wasn't around at the time) and was all intent on buying the reprint. But if it finally sports any of these new travesty covers, I think I'll seriously consider hunting down a copy of the original print instead.
    Yeesh! That's a bit sour, don't you think? Someone worked hard on these, and just because you're being asked for your opinion doesn't mean you're free to trash their work. Be nice now

Now, if 3 doesn't win, I'd like 5 or 2 to claim the prize..

Quote Originally Posted by Ferio View Post
    No matter which wins, now I'm gonna have to get the alternate cover one as well :P They´re all great!
    Thank you - There are a couple of there I don't think are as strong as the others, and sure enough they're the ones not receiving the most votes...which is good!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    At the end of the day, I think I'd go with Cover 3 and definitely stay away from the covers with the darker backgrounds, as He-Man gets lost in them...
    Thanks for the vote, and I agree, He-Man does get lost on one or two of the covers - As traiditonal as 6 is for example, He-Man gets lost against the Eternian night sky...

Quote Originally Posted by vancak View Post
    James, when's the She-Ra guide coming out? I voted for cover five.
    I'm not entirely sure yet - Once the project is well underway I'll let EVERYONE know about it...

Quote Originally Posted by Jyrki View Post
    Even I own already copy of your book, James. Good work. I might buy book again to give it someone.
    AWESOME - And yes, it makes for a GREAT gift...at least to a He-Man fan that requires this kind of information!

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post
    There, did I disect that in enough trivial detail?!
    Now THAT was detailed...and I appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    Pffft... the best cover was the original one, which was PERFECT. Why try to fix what's NOT broken?
    LOL - Trust me, I don't think the original cover is broken in ANY way - I spent a LONG time working on that cover, re-illustrating every single piece of Grayskull's power - I'm quite proud of it!

That display-of-power "look at my muscles, I can crush my enemies" arrogant/menacing pose looks much more fitting with ignoble power-hungry Skeletor getting hold of the Power Sword than with noble He-Man.
    I see where you're coming from, but it's far from an arrogant pose - It's supposed to be He-Man almost standing up to the Power of Grayskull as it bombards him - You can see the original pose from the episode "Disappearing Dragons" HERE (you have to be on Facebook to see this)

I don't yet own a copy of this book (I wasn't around at the time) and was all intent on buying the reprint. But if it finally sports any of these new travesty covers,
    "Travesty"? - That's a tad harsh...

I think I'll seriously consider hunting down a copy of the original print instead.
    Leave the cover art as it was, it needs no fixing at all.
    I don't think it needs "fixing" at all - I appreciate your comments and I hope you manage to find a copy of the book!

Yeesh! That's a bit sour, don't you think? Someone worked hard on these, and just because you're being asked for your opinion doesn't mean you're free to trash their work. Be nice now
    It's cool - Thus far I've had 126 (outside of He-Man.org) vote on which cover they'd like, and 140 people state they will purchase the book - I'd like to think it'll be okay!

Heroic Warrior
    I voted for number one. I also like two and five a lot. Any news on a She-Ra guide?

I voted for #6

I was not able to pick up you guide on the first printing so am very excited for the second no matter what cover it has.

I also vote for OCTAVIA to be in MOTUC!
    Photobucket
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

As long as it is around the same price of the first printing, I might try to get a copy of the second printing, so I can keep one more as a collectable and the other read through more often.

I voted #1, but I liked #'s 3 & 6 as well.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Widget
    Went for #5 as it's something with tendrils and contrasts with the rest of the pic. Not too bothered though, just interested to catch the book on its second printing.

Quote Originally Posted by cringer75 View Post
    I voted for number one. I also like two and five a lot. Any news on a She-Ra guide?
    The She-Ra guide is still VERY much a work in progress - As soon as production kicks in on the book I'll let everyone know!

Quote Originally Posted by Slave2Evil_Lyn View Post
    I was not able to pick up you guide on the first printing so am very excited for the second no matter what cover it has.
    Fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by Denyer View Post
    Went for #5 as it's something with tendrils and contrasts with the rest of the pic. Not too bothered though, just interested to catch the book on its second printing.
    I've been surprised by how many people still want the book - 284 people, according to the poll on my Blog!

"Travesty"? - That's a tad harsh....
    I'm sorry. It was a knee-jerk reaction. I really dig the original cover and was shocked to see it changed for no good reason.

I see where you're coming from, but it's far from an arrogant pose - It's supposed to be He-Man almost standing up to the Power of Grayskull as it bombards him - You can see the original pose from the episode "Disappearing Dragons" HERE (you have to be on Facebook to see this)
    OK, I see. Still, it seems like a rather obscure and misinterpretable choice, compared to the iconic, instantly recognizable pose of the original cover.

I've been surprised by how many people still want the book - 284 people, according to the poll on my Blog!
    I have no idea how many copies were printed the first time, but around 300 looks like a rather small amount to me. Aren't printing costs going to skyrocket for such a limited edition?

Anyway, most probably I'll be getting a copy of the reprint, since the chances of getting one of the original print are very slim.

I'm sorry. It was a knee-jerk reaction. I really dig the original cover and was shocked to see it changed for no good reason.
    My reasoning behind the alternate cover is that people were asking me how to instantly tell the difference between the first print and the second - I toyed with the idea of placing a little "II" in the corner, but more and more people actually WANTED an alternate cover...which surprised me...

OK, I see. Still, it seems like a rather obscure and misinterpretable choice, compared to the iconic, instantly recognizable pose of the original cover.
    As much as I LOVE the original cover (and like I said, given the amount of hard work that went into, I DO), I do feel like the first printing was something special, and that this one should also be special in its own way!

I have no idea how many copies were printed the first time, but around 300 looks like a rather small amount to me. Aren't printing costs going to skyrocket for such a limited edition?
    To be honest, I was expecting somewhere in the region of 100 people to show interest - The fact that it's now approaching 300 is amazing - I estimate I'll sell MORE than a few at Power-Con!

Anyway, most probably I'll be getting a copy of the reprint, since the chances of getting one of the original print are very slim.
    Cool!

My reasoning behind the alternate cover is that people were asking me how to instantly tell the difference between the first print and the second - I toyed with the idea of placing a little "II" in the corner, but more and more people actually WANTED an alternate cover...which surprised me...
    Why should reprints of the same work be instantly distinguishable? It's not like we're talking about two different editions (with augmented and/or corrected content in the second edition). Different editions usually sport different covers, because they actually offer different content—so the cover helps identify which edition (i.e. what content) one is getting. Reprints of the same edition are merely more copies of the same content printed to satisfy the demand.

My vote went to #5. These all look cool but I think the contrast in this one is the best.
    For the Honor, for the Glory, for the Power of GRAYSKULL!!!