View Poll Results: What sort of audience should a new MOTU movie be aimed at?

Voters
81. You may not vote on this poll
  • The very young

0 0%
  • A family audience

18 22.22%
  • The upper-end teen audience

29 35.80%
  • A more mature audience

32 39.51%
  • Strictly for existing fans

2 2.47%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of audience should a new movie be aimed at?

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar

What kind of audience should a new movie be aimed at?

So, assuming we do get a new movie... which demographic should it be aimed at? What kind of audience would it be best aimed at?

• The very young (well, had to put it as an option!) - playing on the lighter aspects (Orko, Cringer, pantomime Skeletor, etc)
    • A family audience - middle of the road, with some of the young audience elements, but maybe a beefed up story
    • The upper-end teen audience - The typical Summer blockbuster film, with more comic book violence action
    • A more mature audience - allowing for darker and more violent content
    • Strictly at existing fans - speaks for itself

Maybe not the one you'd personally agree with, but what kind of audience would it sit best with
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Gosh, I'm having a hard time deciding.

But I do know that then when/if She-Ra and The Horde eventually come into the picture, I'd like for her situation with The Horde to be a bit more harsh/treacherous...if that makes sense.

The same audience that went to see Transformers, whichever that one is.
    Haikus are easy
    But sometimes they don't make sense
    Refrigerator

"If I were a vegetable I'd be a radish because I'm only kind of rad."

It's easy for me: the EXACT same audience as the original Star Wars trilogy. I don't mean to copy Star Wars, but go for that type of rating, which was PG. The Empire Strikes Back was, in many geeks' opinion, the best genre film of all time. It had some violence, but nowhere near the level of a PG-13 movie today. I totally believe a MotU movie could be done on the same level of sophistication as Empire, and yet still be entertaining for all ages.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Yes pg-13 is fine. I dont want anything to sappy.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    I'd say upper-teen audience, like Transformers. That way, you can make a movie that can be seen by several age-groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
    I'd say upper-teen audience, like Transformers. That way, you can make a movie that can be seen by several age-groups.
    agreed, I'd say upper end teen/early adult is the most diverse target. this movie will sell on sex appeal, action and effects but we also want the toy side of things to do robust business, which means it can't outright exclude the kids as I always say aim it just above their heads and they will JUMP to obtain it.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Upper-teen audience, like LOTR and the first two Star Wars films.

upper teen i guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Vega View Post
    upper teen i guess...
    Good, good, falling in line as you all should do.

Family...

It's a toy brand. The goal is to sell more toys, and make new cartoons.
    It's not about appealing to the individual tastes of us picky fans.

So, it needs to be accessible to all ages to accomplish this.
    Or at least kids approximately 7 and older.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Family...

but what does that mean in this day and age? I've seen a LOT of kids at the Transformers movie but it wasn't a family movie. how do you have a sword and sorcery movie and make it both legitimate and family accessible. you also have to question, will 7 year olds WANT to see a happy good time movie or would they prefer to see something that feels like the are getting away with something? Times have changed and kids are more interested in stuff that is seemingly too old for them. now that doesn't mean to be irresponsible and alienate that demographic, but it does mean to really look at WHAT will turn them towards and away from the property.

A kick ass movie with strong heroes and scary villains will be appealing. when I was a kid before the toon came out MOTU scared me a little (skulls and skeletons REALLY scared me, but I was SO attracted to the mystery of what I saw (Grayskull skeletor etc) the darkness of it was appealing, more so than the Mego stuff that I was used to before. it was placed JUST out of my reach, enough so that it was enticing.

Making a Pg/ PG13 flick doesn't mean 7 year olds won't see it, sure a lot of bloodletting and bare breasts etc is a no go, but really to be successful this movie should try to catch the widest audience it can, that means you can't skew TOO young or TOO old. this movie may be the way MOTU gets back on track if it's a hit it will spark a cartoon series which the new toyline can be based off of, in order to get the suits to greenlight that, the movie MUST go over BIG TIME. the toon and corresponding toyline can skew younger than the movie, but the movie and movie toyline should stay focused and get the biggest audience that it can.
    Last edited by krosfyah; November 22, 2007 at 10:38am.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I agree with krosfyah.

Besides that, you alienate a lot of others because your teenage boys arent going to want to see a kids movie. Adults may shy away from it too because its just like the toon. I think PG-13 would be best. It has a wider audience.

And I have seen 7 year olds in movies they shouldnt have been at. The second piratse movie I saw kids as young as 5 at the mightnight showing. Frankly, I thought it sickening, but whatever.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

There's Aliens and Predator action figures in the toy shops.

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    And I have seen 7 year olds in movies they shouldnt have been at. The second piratse movie I saw kids as young as 5 at the mightnight showing. Frankly, I thought it sickening, but whatever.
    5 may be a little young for Pirates and for the midnight showing.

Yet I think the audience that Pirates of the Caribbean was going for would be a good audience for the MOTU movie. It was a movie that most kids could go to because there was no swearing or indecent situations (none that I can think of). It contained a story line that appealed to both Children and adults. I would consider it the 200x family movie. They don't really make family movies like they did when we were all kids anymore.

It would also allow Mattel to license products to kids and adult collectors.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

Heroic Warrior Savage Beast Man's Avatar
    This should be aimed at the Harry Potter, Chronicles Of Narnia audiences.
    In the jungles of Eternia you must beware, or you'll fall into the claws of the Savage Beast Man.

Family...

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree 100% with JVS3 on this one. As I said before, MotU needs to appeal to ALL ages, and that would be a PG rating. I worked for Star Wars, why not MotU?

Times have changed since SW.

Back in the 70's, anything less than an R-rating was either G or PG ("Jaws" was PG, too. Same goes for "Gremlins", "Ghostbusters", and "Raiders of the Lost Ark".)

All of these pictures -- "Ghostbusters", "Gremlins", "Raiders", etc. -- had gory and/or violent scenes which were deemed too intense for a PG rating (Hence, the creation of the PG-13 rating back in the 80's.)

That said, if we're looking for a summer blockbuster, let's not rein ourselves in too tightly (Most of Warner's summer tentpole pictures -- Batman, Superman, etc. -- have all been PG-13. I'm anticipating they'll be shooting for that.)
    Last edited by Mirage; November 23, 2007 at 04:10am.

I believe, the first PG-13 movie was Indiana Jones movie where the heart gets ripped out.

It simply cannot be G rated. Thats too baby. PG, eh, but I think PG-13 is the way to go. PG-13(if I remember correctly back in my film class days ) simply means it has things that maybe someone under 13 should not see it. But frankly I think the whole ratings system is laughable espically when you have 13 year olds who go to see R rated movies.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    but what does that mean in this day and age?
    And that's true.
    A lot of people take families to see PG-13 movies.
    I'm talking scope, not rating.

If you want to talk rating, PG isn't a bad thing.
    PG can have some tough stuff in it. That's why it's Parental Guidance.
    After all, PG movies do not contain depictions of illegal drug use, but may contain some profanity, violence and brief non-sexual nudity.

A MOTU movie would probably gain a PG-13 rating because it's a movie that would have a lot of violence (fighting) in it. Keep in mind that violence doesn't mean blood, guts and gore.
    Transformers probably would have had a PG rating if it hadn't been for the violence.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Times have changed since SW.

Back in the 70's, anything less than an R-rating was either G or PG ("Jaws" was PG, too. Same goes for "Gremlins", "Ghostbusters", and "Raiders of the Lost Ark".)

All of these pictures -- "Ghostbusters", "Gremlins", "Raiders", etc. -- had gory and/or violent scenes which were deemed too intense for a PG rating (Hence, the creation of the PG-13 rating back in the 80's.)
    )

I knew someone would bring this up. Stictly speaking of Star Wars, I bet those original three films would still get a PG rating. Afterall, the first two prequals were PG (with LOTS of fighting, Darth Maul cut in half, Anakin's hand taken off, etc.) And even though it wasn't exactly a block-buster, the latest Fantastic Four movie was also PG.

I firmly stand by the fact a kick-ass MotU movie can be made at a PG rating. It MUST be a PG rating to garner the kind of family-friendly audience it should have. Yes, I know lots of parents take their kids to PG-13 movies, myself included. But to really show the family-centered, right-winged, middle-America of the general public that this movie is a kid-friendly movie that speaks on many different levels, a rating of PG would help to cement that.

Personally, I'd take my kids to a MotU movie if it was PG-13, but I'm the exception. Also, I'd bet Mattel would be more comfortable with a PG rating. They would think it's easier to sell the toys. (yes, lots of toys are sold from PG-13 movies, but this is Mattel, they are still stuck in the 60s)

Heroic Warrior Savage Beast Man's Avatar
    You just can't make a movie about good warriors fighting evil warriors without some degree of believable violence.
    In the jungles of Eternia you must beware, or you'll fall into the claws of the Savage Beast Man.

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    It's easy for me: the EXACT same audience as the original Star Wars trilogy. ... The Empire Strikes Back was, in many geeks' opinion, the best genre film of all time. It had some violence, but nowhere near the level of a PG-13 movie today. I totally believe a MotU movie could be done on the same level of sophistication as Empire, and yet still be entertaining for all ages.
    Family...

I agree wth VZX and JVS3 100% - MOTU is ultimately a toy brand and thus must remain open to younger audience members.

However, being kid-friendly doesn't have to mean Filmation-style reigning in of action/violence writing. Like VZX said, a 'tone' similar to the Star Wars movies [4,5, & 6 in particular] would work great. For a more recent example we need look no further than The Incredibles - it has a great story and plenty of action all around.

Kerry Conran's Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow is another excellent example of a PG movie with a 'tone' that would be a good match for the MOTU movie.

I think even 'tone'/content that we see in SW: Revenge of the Sith would probably be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post
    MOTU is ultimately a toy brand and thus must remain open to younger audience members.
    Most kids these days don't like action figures at all. Actually I don't even know why action figures have yet to be announced as an adult collectible. To me an action figure is cliche of the 80s, The days of kids actually buying figures and 'treasuring' it are long gone. Bets are they buy one and the next day its broken or laying around. Kids these days like video games, computers, ect. Don't rely on the age group of 6-10 for sales of new figures, the collectors market is where its at and Mattel should finally realize it.
    MOTU FANATIC 4EVER

Quote Originally Posted by Vega View Post
    Most kids these days don't like action figures at all. Actually I don't even know why action figures have yet to be announced as an adult collectible. To me an action figure is cliche of the 80s, The days of kids actually buying figures and 'treasuring' it are long gone. Bets are they buy one and the next day its broken or laying around. Kids these days like video games, computers, ect. Don't rely on the age group of 6-10 for sales of new figures, the collectors market is where its at and Mattel should finally realize it.
    Do you have kids? My son is 8 now, and he still plays with action figures. Granted, action figures aren't as popular as they were in the 80s, but they still are asked for at Christmas and birthdays, not just by my son, but by his friends as well. Other than video games, I'd say the biggest item is Bionicles right now, followed closely by Transformers. (YOU try to find a dang Optimus Prime now, I feel like Arnold in Jingle All the Way).

The collecters market has its place, but these MotU characters should still be marketed towards children. These figures have done so much for many children in the 80s in ways of inspiration, imagination, and enjoyment that is immeasurable. They still can and should be. I see my children enjoy MotU in much the same way I did as a kid. As much as we love these characters and want them to mature along with us as we age, they can still be accessable to today's youth.